Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Helmets good, helmet shaming bad.

Helmets are too frequently used as a way to push the blame onto the cyclists and frequently the first thing you'll read in any article reporting on an accident involving a bicycle is whether the cyclist was wearing a helmet or not.

https://twitter.com/CathyTuttle/status/1120736768368631809

edit: To hopefully get off the helmet talk that happens too frequently in the bike threads. I just threw my VO rear rack on my old commuter finally to complete the look. What the gently caress is the point of a rear rack this size? Is it even usable beyond bungee cording a outer shell on?

FireTora fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, my Ortliebs will hook onto it no problem, but my feet will smash into them. I have to pretty much slam them to the rear on my other one with a Tubus Cosmo to get any clearance. The small bags might work out though...

CopperHound posted:

You are still using those old stock parimoto's? How many did you buy? Are you still using them tubeless?

I miss how nice they feel. I might go to the panaracer branded ones as I replace my gravel kings and resign myself to replacing tires much more often.

3 or 4 sets I think, I've got one more pair still. Gave up on the tubeless since they seep so bad. I am going to get some actual tubeless tires after that though if I've still got the bike, so much less to worry about.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

iospace posted:

Does anyone know of any tubeless, studded tires? Thanks in advance!

e: 700x38c please

Apparently Suomi just came out with some tubeless ones, that come in 35, 42, and 50.

https://suomityres.fi/en/products/routa-tlr

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I would be surprised if there is. It looks like Modern Bike sells a couple of their tires so they might be able to order them. You could try emailing Suomi, they would know for sure if they have any 'authorized' retailers, otherwise I'm sure one of the shops in Finland would be willing to ship to the states if you can make it through their website.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Generally everything will swap over, wheel compatibility is the biggest issue since we now live in the world of qr and multiple thruaxle standards. So if you're keeping the wheels make sure the new frame has the same standard.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I just got some of their Raceblades and they've been good so far. I wanted the speedrocker for the extra coverage but they're a bit big for 25s I think.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

bicievino posted:

Real fenders

I agree with this if your bike has eyelets, much better coverage. The only thing I don't like about my new road bike is no mounting points.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

:hmmyes:

I do have a electric sprayer to spray my commuter off quickly and do proper cleans when it isn't loving cold outside though.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Definitely get the QL3.1 if you're commuting with it and need to carry it around. I had the Office-Bag for a year or so and was really happy with it. The messenger flip top would be nicer if you're mostly a fair weather rider.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

BRouter is good for route planning. It uses OSM data and has a bunch of different routing options for type of riding you are doing. It's not quite as polished if you want it to stick to the popular routes because they don't have the use data that Strava/Garmin have, it'll give you weird turns sometimes. You can load the CyclOSM map in it too from the layers, it's much better at displaying bike infrastructure than base OSM, so you can easily see all the bike lanes, MUPs, etc. on the map. BRouter also has a ton of optional layer toggles to display other OSM data, like water points, toilets, etc if you want to plan any of those on your route.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

wooger posted:

I am also OK with this, but then again I also dream of writing a screenplay for a grindcore style revenge film where a cyclist wronged by drivers / bike thieves takes bloody revenge using a variety of bicycle tools and parts.

Spike Bike using chainwhips and throwing cog stars would be :discourse:.
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mjh/spike.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Rain capes are amazing for rain commuting, but you need a decent front fender, and is they're miserable if it's windy where you are. I've been using a Cleverhood for a few years now.