Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Bike commuting in the winter in one of the coldest cities in North America can be done.

No you dont need a fatbike. People do it on 26" mtbs with normal tires. Single speeds and even fixies are also great in the winter. Studded tires are better and available in all sizes. Fenders are reeeeal nice.

Dress in layers. Wool is magic, synthetics are good. Cotton kills.

If your head gets cold even with a hat under it tape up the vents on your helmet with duct tape. If your hands gets cold you can get cheap handlebar mitts from Amazon or expensive ones from Revelate or 45nrth

Get lights with high capacity batteries. The cold saps their power like an icy vampire.

Know your cities plowing schedule. If they have published priority 1 streets use those on snow days.

Take your lane. The curb is especially treacherous in the winter.

Enjoy yourself. There's nothing like riding in the almost total silence of a winter road with a thin fresh layer of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Bad fenders suck but they still suck less than gutter water and goose poo in the face.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Old man.

Look at his bike.

It's all bent and bad rear end.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just wanna know if the concept of turning something that's primarily a utilitarian task into something that is enjoyable at the same time is completely alien to Dutch people as a culture, or just you.

Yes I'm using my bike to get from my home to my job but why the hell wouldn't I try to make it fun if I could.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Ah, yeah. Great Lakes. It gets nasty.

Id rather ride to the north pole than the great lakes region in winter. Great lakes = damp forever.

Do everything you can to stay dry. Waterproof boots. Wear wool everything so you can keep warm when you inevitably get damp. Don't worry too much about the temperature variations, it's all about dealing with the soup. Bring extra gloves and maybe even consider rubber gloves or a neoprene liner.

Buy a nice fleece blanket and plenty of hot chocolate/warm cider mix so you can try to warm up when you get home.

It's gonna kinda suck but once you figure out your layers it's gonna suck less and in a pretty neat way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dude could be rocking an Electra. Maybe the cool Tiger Shark one painted up like a Flying Tigers P-40.

But he probably isn't and ya she's wrong.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any shop worth its salt should cut down your bars for free if you go back in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need trailer brakes.

And also a new rim strip.

One of them let go during the last km of our Costco and Cabelas run. Fortunately it only took my wife a few minutes to get the truck to bail me out. 100lbs worth of stuff would have destroyed that tire if I'd kept going.

Shopping is so much more fun by bike.

Edit: didn't yard sale it or anything, that pic was taken after I unloaded so I could flip the trailer up and see if I could fix it with a patch.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 11, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those look sick.

I just bought a fishing kayak for my wife and I. It came with a home made dolly I could probably turn into a boat trailer for when I want to take either the kayak or the canoe out.

Human powered transport best transport, although just like I'm coming around to ebikes being an awesome solution for riding, especially utility riding, we've got a rad little electric trolling motor for the boats now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not even officially fall yet and it's cold as poo poo I got snowed on at work the marshes are freezing over I just put the studded tires back in my bike and bought a second set of cobra fist pogies for my commuter because gently caress winter aaaaaagh.

Time for winter commuting :getin:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Welp for some reason I was remembering the fall equinox as Oct 22 not Sept 22.

Still, it's so loving cold when we put our canoe into the creek last Sunday it made a crunching noise.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We call that icy muddy slush Brown Sugar. It's terrible to ride in and full of sand and salt so it eats bikes. You get used to riding on it but it's still pretty arse.

Polished compacted snow OTOH is heaven to ride on when you have studded tires.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steady front, pulsating or steady rear. Flashing leads to target fixation and may make you more prone to being hit.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/when-more-visible-%E2%89%A0-safer-target-fixation/

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a comedy video with like a million views about that subject and it turns out it's not illegal to ride outside a bike lane in NYC?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 5, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

It is illegal though, in NYC you can get a ticket if you are on a street with a bike lane "nearby" but you are not using it.

That is so loving stupid there are so many reasons why one might have to not ride in the bike lane.

Why are north American cities so god damned stupid?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Less aero heavier more annoying bike sounds. If you own a dedicated gettin stuff done bike though it's worth it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's a new bike or two or a really nice bike tour.

Time to tell your SO you just earned yourself a treat.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steal the bike rack, it comes with one.

Just leave the bike behind.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best way to keep a bike clean in conditions like that is to not even try to and just throw the chain and cassette out when it inevitably gets too crunchy to ride.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got paced by an owl once. Kept swooping next to me then landing in front of me and waiting for me to go past again. She was so close I could touch her and she was dead silent

I think she was using my headlight to spot prey.

It made my hair stand on end it was so cool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Deer and bunnies are so common in the city now it's not really all that special when you see em.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bingemoose posted:

Hey pretty new to cycling, looking to trade my car in and just getting a bike to bring to work. My commute would be about an hour each way. Is there an advantage to spending the megabux over something that is 500-600 ?

The biggest things to avoid in an entry level bike are a Tourney rear derailleur, freewheel based wheel set, and Tourney ST-EF41 flat bar shifters.

Buy whatever model comes with parts spec above those 3 things and it'll be a bike that lasts quite a long time and will still be good enough youll not regret it down the line.

Avoiding these three things is super easy. Just don't get a bike with Tourney written on the rear derailleur (the front one is fine as long as it's the Tourney FD that uses an Allen key cable bolt) or shifters that look like this:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The problem with 9 speed is for some reason 9 speed Altus to Alivio just seems overly finicky when it comes to derailleur adjustment and hanger alignment compared to 8 speed. I'd much prefer 8 speed Altus for a commuter. 9 speed Deore and Sora are fine.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

lol at that video making it seem like dutch bikes for people in need are common here in Winnipeg, and when I look at their site their bikes are $1.5k plus so it's still hipster bougie poo poo. The majority of the the winter bikes I see here are beater hybrids or department store mountain bikes, although fatbikes are becoming super common here as they come down in price with Costco and Canadian Tire options becoming available.

Dutch bikes in Canada definitely are. We see them roll through the shop whenever that one guy imports a sea can full of them and we're pretty sure they're fished directly out of the canals in Amsterdam thrown in the can and brought directly to us. They weigh way too much ride like poo poo and are way too expensive for what they are. Overall they're a joyless experience in every way and I'd rather be part of a society where occasionally having to dodge a psychotic driver in an F-150 on my way to work is part of my life than join the mindset that would willingly ride one.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
My commuter has fenders and a pannier rack and also doesn't weigh 200lbs and is actually still fun to ride while also being practical.

Also yesterday for the first time in this cold snap I didn't have alternative means of transport and this winter overall spoiled me so much I completely forgot how to dress for -40 wind chill so I ended up having to do a partial strip tease on the side of the road.

The snow is compacted down to the point where it's like riding on hardpack it might be cold but it's also so very nice to ride on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We call that brown sugar and it suuuuuuuuuuuucks. That stuff just doesn't seem to form nearly as much when it gets down below -20c.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Go the long way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fuckin sick. Now ride bikes every day! :yaycat:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Around here keeping a bike in a storage locker outside your unit in any condo/apartment building is tempting fate, even if you're the only one with a key to the locker. They're broken into so very often. The only place that's relatively safe is the inside of your unit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol your kid trolled the poo poo out of you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Why do you have to ride your bike on the roads in the way of cars use the bike paths!"

The bike paths:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

Just gotta hit it with more speed

True. I'm p sure if I hit this hard enough Id just clear the rest of the snow.

Whether or not my bike would come with me is another thing.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 18, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Depends on the bike but a couple hundred? The big issue is parts availability. You'll need road pull brake levers and flat bar shifters for the bike. Road front shifter pull IIRC is always different, rear pull is different in 10 and 11 speed. Ordering these shifters might not even be possible right now.

The biggest thing is you'll end up with a very long stem on the bike, road frames are generally shorter than flat bar hybrids.

If you can hold out a bit and find a bike that's a factory flat bar hybrid will be cheaper than a road bike to begin with and you won't need to buy anything for it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The term hybrid still has a place in cycling. What else do you call a rigid or light duty hard tail flat bar frame with a MTB drivetrain that at best clears 45s? It's not a road bike. It's not a mountain bike. It's something in between.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Valve cores and a core tool are so small you should have them both in your repair kit for that time you inevitably launch one of your cores into the bush like an itty bitty mortar while trying to pump up a tire.

Also don't pace Roos they seem to be angry rear end in a top hat bipedal deer and one thing I know is when a deer paces you most likely it's going to turn into you. I imagine a roo would do the same but instead of running off afterwards it'd probably kick your rear end.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 6, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalido posted:

I've lived in my current row house for two years now. I have no garage but there's a detached shed

Reinforce the poo poo out of that door if you can. Sheds and detached garages are a prime target for thieves. Buddy of mine just had his road bike gravel bike and fat bike nicked just this morning from his garage.

When we get back from our weekend we're going to be shopping for a new garage door system with automatic car door dead bolts to go along with the reinforced steel man door we installed last year after my first Journeyman and her MTB were both stolen from ours.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If things get any worse with theft here my garage security system is going to have FRONT TOWARD ENEMY written on some of its components.

My bikes live in the house at least but that's only half my worries.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 17, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wanna rig up a setup to tow my fishing/hunting kayak. Do a metric, get some grub, camp out overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

https://imgur.com/a/c5iqZcS
These are the photos the guy sent me, asking prices next to each image

Get the Fuji or the Giant Iguana as long as the seat and stem aren't fused into the frame/fork and ride the poo poo out of it. Either one will put a smile on your face.