Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
This may have been posted earlier, but I found it to be a good read.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32783551/cycling-talk-fight-racism/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I pretty much only ride in street clothes (jeans) because I'm usually commuting somewhere. When I go trail riding or bikepacking I will wear North Face/Patagonia hiking pants. I've never seen any cycling clothes that I would want to be caught in while not on a bike (or even on a bike for most of them).

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

slicing up eyeballs posted:

aight here's a fun/stupid question. are there any workout routines to make carrying a bike up/down stairs less taxing? and/or, some recommendation on form so I don't aggravate my old-person shoulder?

e: I'm guessing generic "core" exercises and bicep curls but if there's something more formally defined, that would be dope.

I find it easier to carry a bike backwards when you're going up stairs. Front hand goes on the seat tube below the top tube and the rear hand goes on the down tube. The handle bars just kind of naturally stay straight because gravity is a hell of a thing.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I took a week off bike commuting due to a neck injury and when it thought about it, it was the longest stretch I've been off my bike in about 5 years.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

learnincurve posted:

My favourite “gently caress I’m old” thing is from this year.

My 17 year old daughter is switching schools and it’s a glorious commute entirely off road along a National cycle path - the idea of getting to keep the £8 a week the government gives her in cash for the bus made her ask for a bike for her birthday (She’s tiny so got her a 14” mountain bike), which is funny because she has always refused to even learn to ride before. The deal was that “I have to learn to ride on my own, I can learn how off ebay, muuuum you are not allowed to watch me just go away!” so I showed her how to scoot along and just left her to it.

She makes it home in 3 hours and says “I can ride now I’m not very good though”, next day I say let’s go out together and she says “I’m not very good, don’t laugh at me, don’t go faster than me, don’t laugh at me”

We go to the cycle path and the kid immediately took off like a loving rocket for 12 miles while yelling back to me “I know I’m not very gooood!” as I was desperately peddling behind her and trying not to collapse and die.

"gently caress I'm old" is also mixing up ebay and youtube.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

e.pilot posted:

In situations like this I always pull all the way up into the crosswalk and split the straight and right turn lanes, so I’m not impeding right turning traffic and am out of the way of they don’t see me, and can quickly dart back to the right when the light turns green in case the traffic going straight doesn’t see me.

e: depending what the curb cut looks like on the corner sometimes I’ll just go all the way to the right if traffic is light

Yeah, same. Unless there is a No Right Turn on Red sign. In which case I just sit in the right turn lane.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

DevCore posted:

Besides being disturbed by the milk consumption I love this bike and setup!

Do any bike manufacturers still make the classic 26" frame with modern features?

Surly Troll. But I think they are going to discontinue it.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
A bag maker at a local farmers market? drat, you're lucky.

Bikepacking.com has a list of frame bag makers here: https://bikepacking.com/gear/custom-frame-bags/

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
My record low is -45C/F or however cold it gets in Winnipeg. Though my commute is only 15 minutes so I just have to dress warm enough to last that length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

marshalljim posted:

No personal experience with them, but I've seen people on the bike paths around here with these: https://www.twowheelgear.com/collections/garment-panniers

This is from a couple of pages ago, but I've owned this pannier for about 5 years and I really love it. It has a lot of pockets to keep your stuff organized and it's super easy to take on and off and basically turns into a shoulder bag when carrying it off the bike. I use mine for daily commuting and it has held up really well. I highly recommend it even if you don't need it for the garment purpose.