Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats the best computer case/?
original IBM 5150 case
Lian-Li Goku 420 MicroATX
666 penis
all cases are bullshit
View Results

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i didnt realize side panel fans had such haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why don’t we use cooling systems like a freezer

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

echinopsis posted:

why don’t we use cooling systems like a freezer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think phase change is still used in the competitive overclocking world, between water cooling and ln2

not really worth all that hassle for your average system i dont think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that class of PC was like the fourth or fifth computer i had, and it's so many generations ago i can't even count. its been real fun to watch the progression

not to say i had a kryotech but i spent several years loving around with k6-3 450's and k6-2 500's

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i have that fractal design case from the op and it's boring but it's real nice. cases have come along way since the antec sonata, which was the last case i bought

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
got one of these it's very needs suiting, silent and looks ok

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Leck posted:

i have that fractal design case from the op and it's boring but it's real nice. cases have come along way since the antec sonata, which was the last case i bought

ah the sh/sc special

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is my case. timeless, classic, and effective

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:whatup:

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cfgEaKKos

i've got the fractal design r5 none more black windowless monolith edition and it's great. kept my old lian li v1000+ because it's too nice to just junk and i'm not sure what else to do with it.

Pierre Chaton fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 28, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqi66SxCT4

this is neat in a certain way (see through display), but also very tacky in another (put it on a part of your computer you never look at to show off)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the fractal also has loads of sound damping it's v. Nice and quiet

i had some terrible cases, including one kind of like this:

also a stupidly expensive coolermaster "wave" case with a door on it that was a total bitch to work with, really small and the door wouldnt close properly with the stupid fan controller I bought for it to try and stop it sounding so loud

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have always bought the cheapest possible case which broadly fits my requirements. has always worked out fine. scars are cool too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have had the same steel 4u case for like 10-15 years, its so crappy/generic that i cant even find a representative picture online. i think i paid $15 at the computer recycler for it and its had at least 3-4 different systems in it

it might not be classy but it's def classier than the beige raidmax case i had in high school which i spraypainted black and cut a window into the side and added lights and extra fans and stuff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sweevo posted:

i'm just glad cases are smooth black obelisks now, because they spent a good 10 years looking like poo poo from a Beksinski painting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the best case is the one that fits all your computer parts, op

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

there's something endearing about those sorts of ugly as hell cases from the early-mid 2000s

i had this dumb fucker in highschool:

it was annoyingly big, aluminum (so lighter, but poo poo would rattle and hum), i had a couple blue cold cathodes in it, and 4 loud as hell 80mm fans hooked up with a rats nest of cables to a "superflower" brand fan controller

when i built that system my other choice of case would have been this one, made by superflower (but i think a blue variant, and i think it actually had 3 windows lmao yeah gotta show off that motherboard tray??)

the superflower likely would been the better case (and my stupid fan controller would have matched it), i probably got the first case instead because it was cheaper or something. every case i've had since that has been of the simple black monolith variety, and now i've got sliger cerberus which is exceptionally minimal as PCs should be

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

if you hate yourself and ever look at garbage like /r/battlestations everyone's got these stupid aquarium-lookin-rear end cases placed at an angle on their desk so as to take up the most space possible and shine all the RGB right into your eyes

hideous

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
back in 2003 or so the store i used to work at sold tons of those ugly-rear end plastic and stamped steel cases. once we bought an entirely plexiglass case that ran as a demo with a water cooling setup. that was a fun build

something like this

plexiglass is staticy as hell, there's no grounding or esd protection whatsoever, and it attracts dust like you wouldn't believe. just an absolutely terrible idea all round.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

if you hate yourself and ever look at garbage like /r/battlestations everyone's got these stupid aquarium-lookin-rear end cases placed at an angle on their desk so as to take up the most space possible and shine all the RGB right into your eyes

hideous

Thgat looks like my nephew's computre

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Supermicro SC750A, because a full tower is what a WORKSTATION needs.
I had a Cheetah 15k.3 with a Bay cooler too lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gotta love a stack of drives that each sound like a rock tumbler going full bore

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the fractal also has loads of sound damping it's v. Nice and quiet

also a stupidly expensive coolermaster "wave" case with a door on it that was a total bitch to work with, really small and the door wouldnt close properly with the stupid fan controller I bought for it to try and stop it sounding so loud

man this would have been really cool in 1998

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

remember the early 2000s fad for making cases that looked like cheap nokia phones?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god im having computer shop flashbacks. i wanted to do somewhat classy black cases without a ton of ~~ features but the owner/manager insisted we sell those absolute garbage flashy things

i still can feel the metal spurs left over after stamping scratching up my arms as i try to plug rounded IDE cables in to the drives

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Remembering the brand new computer class with lovely underpowered Dells because the architect had mandated black personal computers but IBM got out of the business just then and the only other option was poo poo Dells. (Was the architect just really loving stupid or bribed? Yes.)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my brother had one of these hueg alienwares but i think it was black and neon green

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

god im having computer shop flashbacks. i wanted to do somewhat classy black cases without a ton of ~~ features but the owner/manager insisted we sell those absolute garbage flashy things

i still can feel the metal spurs left over after stamping scratching up my arms as i try to plug rounded IDE cables in to the drives

i still have scars on my hands from all the unfiled metal edges in those things. it used to look like i was pruning rose bushes without gloves every day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i still have scars on my hands from all the unfiled metal edges in those things. it used to look like i was pruning rose bushes without gloves every day

For like five years I thought I had some sort of eczema in my right hand but turns out i was just scratching it on the metal hooks every time i hung up my jacket or coat in the vestibule. Miracle cure when I moved out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also fun early 2000s computer wank: cold cathodes, everywhere

i once burned a hole through my thumb and nail by being uncautious while connecting a cathode to the inverter while it was powered on

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

hideous

I *hope* all those people are just shining the LED's into the camera for show and they turn it around when they're done taking pictures, but then I don't understand why someone would buy that poo poo in the first place. I have a $20 logitech mouse with RGB lights and I am frankly ashamed of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought the point of rgb everywhere was to tune them to a specific color to match your ~*personal brand*~ or the parts in your case but it seems like everyone just leaves them all on rainbow cycle 24/7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e-sports are just hella gay. ain't nothing wrong with that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

qirex posted:

I thought the point of rgb everywhere was to tune them to a specific color to match your ~*personal brand*~ or the parts in your case but it seems like everyone just leaves them all on rainbow cycle 24/7

head unit stuck in demo mode

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My.computre is CMYK

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

my brother had one of these hueg alienwares but i think it was black and neon green

two jobs ago we had these under our desks lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i didn't know they used desks at the circus

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Roosevelt posted:

oh my god the usb ports right at carpet level aaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

you nerds

every alienware care ever unironically owns