Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats the best computer case/?
original IBM 5150 case
Lian-Li Goku 420 MicroATX
666 penis
all cases are bullshit
View Results

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

bring back the beige box, i say. you could even wire up the turbo button so it makes the fans go audibly faster if you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

this is a yikeseroo from me

See, if they're going to make a case this horny and weird they need to "commit to the bit" (as the kids say these days) and do:

Sniep posted:

is the usb port

uh

Otherwise it'll be a :mediocre:.

I mean, it's p.terrible either way but "Crime once exposed has no refuge but in audacity" (as the kids say these days)?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

just pour a slab

i bought a wood plank shelf from home depot with the same color finish as my desk for stability but now it makes sure my new case doesnt suffocate. i have mixed opinions on the bottom intake but its only for the power supply which is also a bit uh hmm

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if you can get one of those under desk mounts. they’re nice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hell loving yes

fake edit: eight loving thousand dollars wtf

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

r u ready to WALK posted:

i hate cases with bottom air intakes, they get clogged with dust almost immediately if you keep the computer on the floor

it's cool that you get so many 5.25" bays on that silverstone though
The prefilters catch some cat hair, every 3-6 months I clean them, the inside gets almost 0 dust.

Even during the most strenuous benchmarks I don't go over 55-65 °C

Yeah lots of 5.25 bays and I use 0 now, you can hotswap hardrives too! Real useful now that I have a m2 NVME

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

hell loving yes

you could by half a moderately specced mac pro with that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you're looking for a value proposition on a weird niche lunchbox you probably don't get it

like no poo poo its expensive

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

zoom in on the keyboard cable plus the slot for the keyboard cable, and imagine trying to shut this without descending into apoplectic rage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rotor posted:

hell loving yes

think of it as an 80s throwback price for an 80s throwback form factor

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

many years ago, i worked at a place that made comps like that. took a look and they still do; i think most of them go for 5-10k or so. one thing they're used for is doing those video overlays at live sports games and such

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

carry on then posted:

think of it as an 80s throwback price for an 80s throwback form factor

there were weird luggables into the 90s for people who wanted early 3d acceleration in a 'portable' form factor

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

that giant lugtop looks like a hollywood prop that Ludacris would use to hack an unhackable supercar from the back of a stealth helicopter flying at 200mph in the next Fast & Furious movie.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jfc I forgot about this

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i posit that:

atomic purple rules
tempered glass / rgb casese are an evolution of the atomic purple ethos
ergo, tempered glass / rgbarf also rules (via the transitive property)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

zoom in on the keyboard cable plus the slot for the keyboard cable, and imagine trying to shut this without descending into apoplectic rage

it looks like you’re intended to unplug the keyboard before closing the hinge.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

well why not posted:

i posit that:

atomic purple rules
tempered glass / rgb casese are an evolution of the atomic purple ethos
ergo, tempered glass / rgbarf also rules (via the transitive property)

theyre not even close to the same aesthetic lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
plastic comps are good though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

loved the cube so much, shame about all the brokenness

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

me: mom can we get imac for dinner
mom: we have imac at home
imac at home:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mouse is better anyway

Sagebrush posted:

imac at home:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

imac at home:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Sagebrush posted:

imac at home:

store brand macaroni and cheese

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

loved the cube so much, shame about all the brokenness

the real shame is that you will never find one that looks like that picture irl

the perspex yellowed hard if they were ever turned on, or exposed to daylight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they should have used polycarbonate instead. like on the imacs and ibooks. acrylic is a lovely choice for consumer products unless you specifically want something that looks as close as possible to glass.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

unless you specifically want something that looks as close as possible to glass.

i mean, if i had to guess why it was selected

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

new after dark screen saver looking mighty realistic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i mean, if i had to guess why it was selected

it's a pretty marginal difference, though. the situations where you care about it are, like, a museum display case where clarity and optical quality are paramount but you want it somewhat lighter and stronger than glass. the clear imacs were polycarbonate and they looked fine.

acrylic is just not a great material outside that one circumstance of replacing glass.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i sill remember having to explain to the fabricator my boss had chosen to build a UV lightbox for a bunch of UV reactive artwork he had just sold, why his lightbox with the acrylic panels didn't work.

i felt a little odd about it because, like, it's this guy's job, and i'm just some schmuck who got roped into doing installs alongside IT work for the gallery, but yeah bud, that plexiglass is UV absorbent

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 12, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why didn't it work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the acrylic panels were UV absorbent, which is less than ideal for something meant to shine UV light

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

acrylowned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i sill remember having to explain to the fabricator my boss had chosen to build a UV lightbox for a bunch of UV reactive artwork he had just sold, why his lightbox with the acrylic panels didn't work.

i felt a little odd about it because, like, it's this guy's job, and i'm just some schmuck who got roped into doing installs alongside IT work for the gallery, but yeah bud, that plexiglass is UV absorbent

yah that happens periodically in the 3D printing thread with people building UV curing lamp boxes for their SLA parts and oops. PMMA has about 95% absorption of the 405nm light used for curing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know who was really owned? the dumb gently caress who had to drag it to the client's place and set it up to demonstrate that it wouldn't work, and then drag it back to the shop.

me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yah that happens periodically in the 3D printing thread with people building UV curing lamp boxes for their SLA parts and oops. PMMA has about 95% absorption of the 405nm light used for curing.

turns out UV cured plastic might not be a good transmission medium for UV light, who could have guessed?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it was probably something simple from a short comment stebe made, like he said "make it look as close to glass as possible" and that's what they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

actually as much as it looks neat it's a terrible design practically.
only two USB ports, one of which you have to occupy with an audio-out to use audio. There is no 3.5 included.
Video cables awkwardly have to route under.
Mac minii is the good version