Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

People blaming Ozil for Arsenal's wage woes are the same people that buy their bosses christmas gifts and tip their landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vegetable posted:

This is kinda stupid. The agent can simply contract with the player for X% of the player's sign-on fee and negotiate accordingly.

If exorbitant agent fees were truly blocking otherwise great moves for the player, the player would have long fired the agent. The reality is probably that players perceive agents to provide a valuable service.

For a start, any benefit to the agent for sending players to one club over another will invite corruption. It’s obvious that a %tage of players wages is the only safe way to do this.

It’s the agents that manage a bunch of players, including the bulk of players for certain teams that cause the real problem, as they can extort clubs to give up players cheaply or sign players they don’t really want to be allowed to sign a star.

When the agent is earning the same as a year of the players salary in 1 second, that’s a crazy high percentage to be paying. That money could go elsewhere, to the player, to youth development.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Weirdly it’s being reported that Kroenke paid for Partey’s transfer. But I guess he couldn’t find Gunnersaurus’ wages for a bit.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Imagine expecting :decorum: in a system built for abuse.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
gently caress agents and gently caress mega-wage players

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Slotducks posted:

People blaming Ozil for Arsenal's wage woes are the same people that buy their bosses christmas gifts and tip their landlords.

i dont think you can pin this on the japanese

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

wooger posted:

For a start, any benefit to the agent for sending players to one club over another will invite corruption. It’s obvious that a %tage of players wages is the only safe way to do this.

It’s the agents that manage a bunch of players, including the bulk of players for certain teams that cause the real problem, as they can extort clubs to give up players cheaply or sign players they don’t really want to be allowed to sign a star.

When the agent is earning the same as a year of the players salary in 1 second, that’s a crazy high percentage to be paying. That money could go elsewhere, to the player, to youth development.

its potato chip sponsor money. if we outlawed agents all the best players would go to overseas leagues. wolves players all come from one agent and they did all right. ill come back with more arguments tomorrow

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Özil definitely is trolling by the way because Arsenal are about to register their squads for the PL and have too many non homegrown players so this is the first shot in the inevitable PR shitstorm resulting from him not being registered.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Özil definitely is trolling by the way because Arsenal are about to register their squads for the PL and have too many non homegrown players so this is the first shot in the inevitable PR shitstorm resulting from him not being registered.

does not being registered affect his pay?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He probably won't get any bonuses

Sgt. McKill
Sep 30, 2005
kill kill kill
Probably a stupid question, but why isn't Arteta playing Ozil? He was really good at one point, right?!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Sgt. McKill posted:

Probably a stupid question, but why isn't Arteta playing Ozil? He was really good at one point, right?!

I don’t think anyone has a really good answer. He disappears for long stretches and is a pure luxury player that doesn’t really fit into many systems, but dropping him entirely has never really made sense on the pitch. For a long time the theory was that they were trying to force him out because he’s insanely overpaid, but now it’s the last year of his contract and he’s still not playing. Seems like the only possibilities are that (a) he actually has a horrible attitude problem or (b) they’re freezing him out now to legitimize freezing him out before. It’s all a bit weird tbh.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Karl Sharks posted:

does not being registered affect his pay?

Not sure but it will definitely kick up more negative PR for the club.

Emery said the board had instructed him not to play Özil in a interview once though his English wasn't great so it could be a case of the Drogba dives there.

I don't think Özil fits the system in terms of his work rate, so often under Arteta you see someone winning a tackle just outside the box and it's Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe etc where despite his stats for running a lot (which the likes of Phillipe Auclair have suggested are routinely manipulated by players with tactical sprints etc) he often downs tools when possession is turned over and shys away from tackles. I think one of Arteta's 'non negotiables' he referenced is no passengers and to be fair it has resulted in Ceballos and AMN being dropped and coming back better so there is something in it.

It's a shame because if Özil did commit to playing that way he could really offer something to the team, but I feel there is a psychological thing for him with having won the WC with Germany and then felt like he was rejected by Germany, the club walking back his stuff about China's treatment of the Uighurs and his addiction to Fortnite etc.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1314218588631433216

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Levy's playing hardball with his £7m + Cameron Carter-Vickers offer. Why would we want another ~6' centre half? Would rather we recall Brandon Cooper from Newport and save the wage.

Ben Godfrey went for £25m so anything less than £15m and some generous bonuses is a joke.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wrong thread.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Ornstein is saying that Benrahama to West Ham is pretty much done and is just waiting on the medical

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1315360847787630593?s=19

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Ornstein is saying that Benrahama to West Ham is pretty much done and is just waiting on the medical

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1315360847787630593?s=19

That’s a good signing if true. He was the best player on Brentford and possibly in the Champ last year

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ungratek posted:

That’s a good signing if true. He was the best player on Brentford and possibly in the Champ last year

Apparently it's now collapsed over personal terms, which would seem unlikely if he's meant to be having a medical, but I can absolutely believe our board will have at the last minute decided to go "Actually we're only going to pay you in pennies" or something stupid.

Dawson on a loan-to-buy is a DONE DEAL though:

https://twitter.com/WestHam/status/1315713852089290757

*Allegedly* it's a free loan and a discounted buy clause to stop Ngakia's free transfer in the other direction going to tribunal.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Joe Rodon's all but gone to Spurs apparently. Will be sorted if he doesn't break a leg against Bulgaria. Might be loaned back for the season or until Jan but we're also supposedly favs for Harry Wilson on loan and that would give us too many loan players for a match day squad afaik.

If we could shift Andre Ayew before deadline, replace him with Championship-quality Wilson and keep Big Joe for a bit I'd be pretty happy with the window.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1315960772942532609

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Supposedly City are willing to let him go on a free so that wouldn't be a loan. Had injuries and struggled at FC Twente last season.

God help us if we replace 6'3 Rodon with 5'10 Latibeaudiere. Already got Guehi who's under 6'.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Albion have officially signed Karlan Grant from Huddersfield, fee’s undisclosed but Sky reported £15m yesterday. We’re winning the league, lads.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

is Callum Robinson that bad?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It sounds like this will probably happen.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1317008679347064832

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm hearing we're standing firm at the £18m asking price. It's another Sancho situation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
We're in talks with Borini.

Also Kasey Palmer (poo poo) and Ryan Manning (decent).

edit: And Latibeaudiere (short).

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 16, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol that we sold diangana for 18m because we have too many wingers and need funds to sign defenders

and now we’re spending 30m on a winger

loving gollivan

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm glad it looks as weird from the inside as it does from the outside

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

weird from a logical standpoint sure but it’s extremely on brand for our transfer policy

b*g s*m was a complete poo poo but he’s the only manager we’ve had in forever who put together a balanced squad with 2 players for every position

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Big Sam rules. He just guzzles pints of wine and grinds out points.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

lol that we sold diangana for 18m because we have too many wingers and need funds to sign defenders

and now we’re spending 30m on a winger

loving gollivan

Well good news! It looks like Sullivan is being Sullivan about it and is trying to change the terms of the deal after Benrahma has already recorded the loving announcement deal

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
surely behrama the hottest property in the championship is worth 12m more than grady who scored a goal every 8 games there

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Surely rodon soon.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1317121655970451457

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

surely behrama the hottest property in the championship is worth 12m more than grady who scored a goal every 8 games there
top notch reading comprehension well done

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
sounds like i need some defenders of my own

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Deal sheet for Benrahma went through on time. Apparently, he didn't even properly fail his medical. There was something in the blood chart that didn't look right and Sullivan used it as an excuse to renegotiate. It's become close as to who hates their board more: West Ham or Newcastle

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/CDEccleshare/status/1317139967181717509

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shocking how badly we've been rinsed on this one. Signed a bunch of bang average players and calling it a successful window.

I'm fuming.