Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah and they're in couples therapy in the trailer.

Apparently the original pitch for the film had them working at Dennys and they were fed up with the lives they have vs. the lives they could have had staying princesses. I don't think much of it made it into the final produt, but I think the idea is still fairly similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect bill and ted failed to make the song that saves the world because rock music died some 20 years ago. There's a hint or two in both trailers they may have been bitter about it and tried experimenting with anything not guitars.

Now imagine their daughters have to write them some sort of youtube/tik-tok meme song like baby shark and that is what saves the world. Very on-brand, but I would have to walk out on principle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly feel like they have to acknowledge that, but I can't imagine any answer to it being on brand except "gently caress that, we're bringing rock back."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

True story: I had a dream last night that this movie came out and had a truly amazing song by Wyld Stallions in it. That song became the anthem of a real-life grassroots movement that resulted in the peaceful end of America's fascist heel turn and a return to peaceful prosperity and love.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1297930909308588032?s=20

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit, I want to be their friends. :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Does this premiere on demand tonight anywhere or do we gotta wait until tomorrow

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm I don't know, maybe someone who pre-ordered will get an email saying how it'll go down?

The Drafthouse apparently did an early screening and there's some reviews on Letterboxd (amongst the pointless 'embargo' ones and people reviewing despite not seeing it). Most people rate between 3* and 4* and are generally positive about it, which is nice to read. This one doesn't give any spoilers but does a decent enough job of summing it up. A few people noted it starts off slow, but then picks up when the time shenanigans start up. https://letterboxd.com/artpig/film/bill-ted-face-the-music/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sounds like reviews are "nothing ground breaking, but they didn't gently caress it up!" which sounds just peachy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s not like Bill and Ted was ground breaking. Just be entertaining.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Like, all I need to hear is "if you liked the other movies you'll also like this". That's it!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So it's officially tomorrow. Any services offering it yet?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Looks like it’s up on Amazon

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just finished watching it. It was pretty forgettable. It wasn’t awful or anything, and it was fun seeing them play the characters again, but I feel like I didn’t find anything that funny after the opening scene at the wedding. It doesn’t have the quotable and memorable elements of the first two. Honestly it was mostly just boring.

Not heinous, but not excellent either.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I enjoyed this film it is cozy as hell

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

man nurse posted:

Just finished watching it. It was pretty forgettable. It wasn’t awful or anything, and it was fun seeing them play the characters again, but I feel like I didn’t find anything that funny after the opening scene at the wedding. It doesn’t have the quotable and memorable elements of the first two. Honestly it was mostly just boring.

Not heinous, but not excellent either.

This felt flat to me. Just doesn't have the energy of the first two even if it meant well and came from a positive place.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What's the best service to get this movie on? I'm highly interested in voting with my :10bux: to support this movie. Are they selling it direct or something like that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know it's on Amazon and the quality of stuff they put out is usually solid. Apple too I believe.

RT scores have been pleasant, and only a few people seem to be walking out not having enjoyed it on some level. I'm sorry to the posters who couldn't get into it, and I'm hoping to not join your ranks this evening.

I'm not the hugest Weezer fan ever, but this is a perfectly enjoyable song that does that whole 'clips from the movie (trailer) in the music video' thing which seems to have died out since the 90s, so that's nice to see. And a fun cameo at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LwmWk_EPPg

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished; I enjoyed it enough. I think the 79 on RT is just about accurate. It's pretty much a Legends of Tomorrow episode with a higher budget, and if you like LoT I can't see you disliking this film. I had fun watching it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh yeah, to those who've seen it... I'm guessing I should probably avoid listening to the soundtrack before I see it right? Like I think if I'd heard the Bogus Journey soundtrack before hand that would've taken a bit from the finale of Bogus Journey, even if they didn't put the Steve Vai stuff on).

e: oh here's a guide on where to buy. I'll just link it rather than stealing someone elses work - https://www.reddit.com/r/billandted/comments/ihlt9e/bill_ted_face_the_music_release_heres_how_to/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Argue posted:

Just finished; I enjoyed it enough. I think the 79 on RT is just about accurate. It's pretty much a Legends of Tomorrow episode with a higher budget, and if you like LoT I can't see you disliking this film. I had fun watching it.

This honestly has me hyped. I just want it to be enjoyable. It's not going to be groundbreaking because it doesn't have the ability to be. It just needs to be enjoyable and fun and light-hearted and you've given it a great description.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's good, not great. I think it suffers from modern script/editing syndrome where characters can't just be in a scene or hangout in a shot and just exist. Everything is at most thirty seconds long, cuts to something, cuts to something else, etc. There's no moment in the movie that feels like Bill and Ted browsing a hardware store, or Bill and Ted romping though a medieval European castle. Even Hell is like, walk in, walk out. They just don't spend enough time there for it to feel like anything. The closest thing to a a real sequence is when they have to go and convince Death to rejoin the band (and while it happens in Hell, it barely registers as in Hell. It's not like they have to face their fears to get there. It's just very rushed I guess. Also, what the hell is up with the robot? There's probably an inside joke I'm not getting with it telling everyone its name. It's inoffensive, just repetitive.

Criticism aside, it's very fun, very light-hearted, and very Bill and Ted. There's nothing about it that is heinous.

Station!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This movie was kind of what I needed. :unsmith:

It's a fun, good movie. It's not going to set the world on fire or anything, but it complements the previous two pretty well. There's only one character I disliked, Dennis, but even he had his moments. Future Bill and Ted are entertaining as sad scumbags, the daughters are great too. I think even Station is in this? Sort of? If I have one complaint it's that the movie could've used a little more time to breathe. There's a lot going on here and scenes just fly by. I don't expect a 2-3 hour epic from Bill and Ted here, but a bit more time with some of the characters, especially Billie and Thea, would've been nice.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought it was a nice little watch; nothing really special, but went along with the other two fine enough.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, echoing other goons, it was nice but not a classic like the first two.
I felt like it was equivalent to that Netflix Pee-Wee sequel. Fun seeing the character(s) again, but they didn't really go for gold.

I think if it was handed to a comedic director who has a unique style like Taika Waititi or Edgar Wright it may have had more staying power. Some scenes in this were just flat and missing a tighter comedic timing you'd expect.

I also was disappointed in the actual "save the world" song. Nothing beats "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" from Bogus Journey. This was just "Millenial Whoop, the Song" with all its "oohhh ohh ohhhhhh" and bland positive chords. It's certainly not going to get stuck in your head.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 28, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Dean Parisot is like the platonic ideal of a journeyman comedy director

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I thought the song they played at the beginning had a lot going for it, at least at the start.

Anyway, a nice enough and upbeat story about two guys dealing with the fact that their promised greatness never came. They address this first by trying to find the success they believed is their entitlement but, failing that, make peace with death (literally) and support the next generation in saving the world. This is the happiest, most upbeat movie about global warming you'll find.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I loved it.

Its a step down from the previous two movies in lots of ways (direction, costumes and set design namely) but theres still so much to love here. Its the sort of thing you'll watch and just grin throughout the entire run time, especially if you remember the first two movies so well.

This is going to be one of those movies where its impossible for me to get truly critical because it feels like a comfort blanket right now.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I thought it was fine. I didn’t hate it but also I thought it was too short.

Do not touch this spoiler tag until you watch the movie.
Keanu reeves doing the Ted voice on top of trying to do an English accent. :perfect:

I don’t understand the Dennis robot. I just didn’t like him at all. I wish they cut him out of the movie and gave more Bill/Ted scenes or Billie/Thea scenes

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Was I the only one who thought Samara Weaving (Thea) was Gillian Jacobs (Brita from Community) the whole movie?

I kept thinking, hmm, she's a bit old to be playing 24.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Miching Mallecho posted:

I don’t understand the Dennis robot. I just didn’t like him at all. I wish they cut him out of the movie and gave more Bill/Ted scenes or Billie/Thea scenes

I think it was just Matheson and Solomon's weird sense of humor, I mean "Station" wasn't really that funny in hindsight even if it gave younger me a catchphrase for a while. I think the joke they were going for was like, the character was meant to be unliked and unfunny and all the characters rolled their eyes at him. I mean he's the closest thing the movie has to a "foil" and he's just a death robot, and nobody likes him because he murdered them and... I guess it's like Death's role in Bogus Journey. It's a serious character who suddenly becomes a fish out of water tagalong, and it doesn't land this time.

If I had a nitpick it was that I don't think any younger millennials talk like valley kids really, unless it's to be ironic or something. I liked the actors (especially Samara Weaving but for me that's mostly because I liked her in Ready or Not), but I dunno if I really bought the characters.

Overall it wasn't terrible? There are far worse 20+ year later sequels and it was a nice reprieve from Hell World.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Just waiting for my girlfriend's aunt to leave so that we can watch this. We've got those Orville Redenbacher microwaveable popcorn that comes in a movie theater style bucket and some movie theater buttery topping. My stupid local drive-in is showing New Mutants instead of this. Oh well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

I enjoyed this film it is cozy as hell

"Cozy" is my first thought after finishing watching.

Also, head's up for anyone, there is an after credits scene.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

King Vidiot posted:

If I had a nitpick it was that I don't think any younger millennials talk like valley kids really, unless it's to be ironic or something.

I took that to be another example of how much Billie and Thea idolized their dads.

Overall, yeah, cozy is a great way to describe it. If I did have a complaint, it's that the film is too busy. The first two movies basically just had a single plot thread (give or take the adventures of Napoleon at Waterloop) and this one was juggling two and a half in 90 minutes so it could've used a little more time to breathe.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I liked Dennis. Overall super enjoyable movie.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JazzFlight posted:

I also was disappointed in the actual "save the world" song. Nothing beats "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" from Bogus Journey. This was just "Millenial Whoop, the Song" with all its "oohhh ohh ohhhhhh" and bland positive chords. It's certainly not going to get stuck in your head.

More or less. "God Gave Rock and Roll To You" is Bill and Ted for me. There was no way to ever top that.

Hand Knit posted:

I thought the song they played at the beginning had a lot going for it, at least at the start.

I thought it was fine, if even good. It would have fit right in on the "Frank" soundtrack. I actually kind of wish they had more blatantly incorporated elements from the song at the beginning into the song at the end.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
It was good. I thought the robot was funny. I like him on Barry

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Dennis was funny in isolation but it felt like he walked in from another movie. And I agree with it being way too busy with plot stuff. I think if it was streamlined a bit and had a few more solid jokes (and a better end song) it would be right up there with the originals. Still, I’m glad I watched it and look forward to seeing it again. It definitely felt nice to watch amidst the awful loving hellscape we live in.

E: as soon as I finished watching I felt upbeat for about 2 seconds until I heard about Chadwick Boseman. 2020 can loving eat poo poo

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 29, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Watched the first two again, and then this. I'm pretty sure I'll watch those yet again in the future, this third one nah once was plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This movie made me feel really good and I laughed a lot. Watching Keanu be a big silly goofball for 90 minutes after a decade of him as a grim dark action star was really rewarding, and the daughters were equally funny and enjoyable.

It absolutely feels like they just took all the best ideas from 7 different scripts, and I don’t know what folk Kristen Schaal’s character is supposed to serve and feel like she’s just kind of on her phone for the entire film.

Kid Cudi was very funny.