Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bust Rodd posted:

Kid Cudi was very funny.

Definitely a highlight of the movie. I also wish there had been more done with historical figures popping in and out of time. Like give me Queen Elizabeth at a theme park or something goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Really enjoyed it and had a smile on my face the whole time.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I really liked the movie. It needed some more time for the characters to breathe and have more interactions. I did appreciate that the movie drew attention to the plot elements that didn't quite make sense in a joking manner. Helped the goofy feel of the movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed that this movie is a celebration of music without really saying anything about music. It’s just an appreciation of sound

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There were a handful of clever laugh-out-loud jokes in the movie and one that pops to my mind specifically is when bad Bill is holding them at gunpoint and they reason "hey, you don't need to point that gun at us" and he dips it for a second and they start to run, so he quips back something like, "and that's why I do need to point the gun at you!"

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Spoiler question for everyone else who watched it: Did it seem like the Princesses had a deleted storyline where their old selves were actually Bill & Ted or the daughters dressed up to show the wives what Bill and Ted were going through or show how they love them or shouldn't leave them or something? The "Logan/Preston is really the daughters" thing was so obvious, and they never show the old princesses up close, so I got suspicious. In the end, nothing really happened and the old Princesses disappeared and I was left wondering "what was the point of that other than getting them to the final concert?"

Otherwise I agree with everything said. It's no Excellent Adventure, but it's far from Dumb and Dumber To. Stretched thin but still fun.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The movie was fine. I thought Samara Weaving did a good job but Brigette Lundy-Paine was awful. I don't know if it was a director's decision or the actors. I get what they were trying to do but it didn't work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have no idea what was going on with the wives or why they had an entirely offscreen adventure or whatever but the movie was also blissfully short and sweet by 2020 standards and in truth I’m happier with what we have than if we’d gotten some bloated 135 minute monstrosity. This movie literally never drags.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Of the 8 of us who watched it, I think I’m the only one who genuinely liked it. But I’m probably the one going into it with the most realistic expectations and actually cared about the franchise, rather than just it being those films I saw as a kid. One dude hadn’t seen the first two, so that was a wild ride.

Think the negative stuff has been pointed out, maybe the wrong director as I don’t think the script was really an issue at all. But then there’s a ton of stuff in the direction I did really like, it just felt like it could’ve been a bit more wild and crazy. Agree with the needing room to breathe, I ran to the bathroom and took 20 seconds at most and the girls went from going to the garage to getting killed and it already being accepted.

But most importantly, I laughed a lot. I think Alex and Keanu both have the characters in their souls still. I feel the cast and crew loved making it. I believe the plot finely balanced the pure length of time since the last film, the nostalgic value, and the need to do new stuff. I dug the first film having the 80s vibe, the second being so 90s, and this one works by not trying to emulate those and just being of its time. I liked the robot! I’m kinda envious of the people who submitted stuff for the end credits, and the fact it actually feels part of the story. George’s posthumous cameo was perfect.

I do hope there’s still something more to come. If not, it’s a series that really was kinda asking for a 3rd act, and I think the one it got fit the bill. And Ted.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Granted that B&T are the central figures I did want to see their daughters get a bit more focus. E.g. they have to have the same rights of passage that their fathers went through in hell, facing their fears, etc.

Dennis does feel like an attempt to recapture the magic of 'station' but it's just so... awkward.

Kristen Schaal kinda brought nothing to the table here. If she was supposed to fulfill the role of Rufus then they needed to use her as the framing mechanism, doing the opening narration, etc.

The parts I did like: after rewatch their world uniting song was kinda uplifting. The scene of them seeing their near death selves in the rest home was very touching and probably the highlight of the movie for me.

Thematically this movie is good, with good intentions, good message, and made by people who cared. This is far from a cynical cash in or even just an attempt to make money on nostalgia. It's just lacking the more intense energy and fit/finish of the previous installments. Was it worth 20 - 29 bucks to stream? Yeah it was.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

The movie was fine. I thought Samara Weaving did a good job but Brigette Lundy-Paine was awful. I don't know if it was a director's decision or the actors. I get what they were trying to do but it didn't work.

She really was bad. The daughters were probably the worst part of the movie they didn't have much going on and not much personality. Which sucks because Samara is great.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the sillier and stupider jokes is that Bill & Ted love each other so much that they named their daughters after each other TWICE

Theodora Thea Preston and Willhemina Billy Logan

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

She really was bad. The daughters were probably the worst part of the movie they didn't have much going on and not much personality. Which sucks because Samara is great.

Yeah the daughters were the worst part for me, I wish they had let them be their own characters instead of just impersonating the dads as much as possible. Plus I felt like their adventure and the dads' adventure cut into eachother's time, and if I'm going to watch one, I'd prefer to spend more time with the dads.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Friend posted:

Plus I felt like their adventure and the dads' adventure cut into eachother's time, and if I'm going to watch one, I'd prefer to spend more time with the dads.

Yeah, this is kinda my problem with the movie (aside from trying to watch it with a headache and eye pain), since just when I figured it was going to start, well, the movie was over.

Plus, I think I screwed myself over a bit by being that excited about the movie from the get-go.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I felt it every goddamn time they landed in the phone booth and let out pained grunts. I'm old and my body hurts. It hurts all the time. Why does life hurts so much.

This movie was charming as all hell and exceeded my expectations which have always been "we're gonna see this premiere on streaming and at the end of it we're gonna say to ourselves 'hey, that was pretty good.'" It's just a goofy, good-natured film that I needed right at this point in time. Ten gajillion stars.

G-III posted:

Dennis does feel like an attempt to recapture the magic of 'station' but it's just so... awkward.
I thought the dude was absolutely fantastic but polarizing as hell. He's able to contort his face into all sorts of really unnerving expressions even when 90% of it is covered in prosthetics. He's just a bundle of very specific tics and I was 100% on board. Gotta watch Barry.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Friend posted:

Yeah the daughters were the worst part for me, I wish they had let them be their own characters instead of just impersonating the dads as much as possible.

That’s my thought too. They could have imitated the spirit of the Bill and Ted characters as they are their children, but they didn’t have to necessarily ape them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

caligulamprey posted:

I thought the dude was absolutely fantastic but polarizing as hell. He's able to contort his face into all sorts of really unnerving expressions even when 90% of it is covered in prosthetics. He's just a bundle of very specific tics and I was 100% on board. Gotta watch Barry.

I had no idea it was NoHo Hank from Barry until the show was mentioned here. Mindblown. I mainly saw positive things about Dennis around the web and I totally didn’t get it until ‘the change’ and I was so onboard then. They needed to do a Death style character from Bogus without being a complete copycat, and they did a great job I thought. He went down positively amongst my friends who weren’t caring about the film at least.

Remember when we thought this loving thing was going to be like 70 minutes long? Jeez can you imagine this being 20 minutes shorter.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I really liked this and made me feel all the things in the end. The laughs weren't gut busting but nothing cringey like recent cash in sequels. Finding out NoHo Hank was Dennis makes everything better - I need to watch again with that in mind cause I had no idea who it was but the mannerisms were familiar to me.

Also Weird Al is in the credits and he posted about it today - he didn't even get asked, just wanted to submit a video of him for the ending.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

This movie made me happy and smile a lot.

quote:

Also Weird Al is in the credits and he posted about it today - he didn't even get asked, just wanted to submit a video of him for the ending.

I thought I saw him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked this movie. It was fun and happy, and it was nice to see Bill and Ted again. Especially in how genuinely nice they are without any qualifications. They just want to make everyone happy and save the world.

I thought their daughters were perfect, and if they want to continue with them as leads and have Bill and Ted as guest stars (since Keanu is so busy) then I'm on board.

I don't think it's as good as the first two, but like someone said, it's cozy and a perfect movie to watch when everything else in the world is so lovely.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
It was ok, enjoyable enough. However, I was joking with Mrs McJerkface that grateful for a movie that is low key and doesn't end in a blue sky laser but nope, we get a blue sky laser in the last five minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite part was basically any Ted on Ted interaction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was genuinely distracted by how breathakingly beautiful the daughters were, they both reminded a ton of my serious college GF.

I think Dennis was the only part of the film that doesn’t land for me. When Bill exasperatedly turns to him and goes “Ok we get it, you’re an incredibly insecure robot!” that summed up my reaction to the character completely. I get it, that’s the joke, please go away.

The physical comedy in this movie is incredible. Watching the opening musical scene with Keanu on theramin had me laughing out loud.

I also lol’d extra hard at the idea of Ted vs Ted+2 years fighting, because while they are portrayed as aging hipster surf rockers, a Keanu vs Keanu fist fight would be objectively insane to watch unfold. He’s like one of the only people on Earth that really knows gunkata, and he has been trained and mastered multiple martial arts and defense techniques.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
in a movie about infinite travel through time and space the whole we have __ minutes left thing according to our future apple watch makes no sense

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

zer0spunk posted:

in a movie about infinite travel through time and space the whole we have __ minutes left thing according to our future apple watch makes no sense

:wrong:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

nah, the film itself straight up says oh yeah that does make no sense at all, gently caress it, and then they use the multiverse to distribute instruments to everyone because, yeah, they can control time and space....

you and i just put more thought into this then they did and it only took 29 years to write

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

zer0spunk posted:

Why did you start watching this franchise with the third movie?
You should probably start at the first film, where they lay out a "the clock in San Dimas is always running" rule.
Also, this movie isn't Primer or Looper, it breaks their own time-travel rules all the time as well.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Did you watch the first movie where Rufus explains the San Dimas local time is the critical timeline?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JazzFlight posted:

Why did you start watching this franchise with the third movie?
You should probably start at the first film, where they lay out a "the clock in San Dimas is always running" rule.
This movie isn't Primer or Looper, it breaks the time-travel rules all the time.

please don't compare this kickstarter film with the two movies i actually really like and will rewatch again in the future for the umpteenth time :smith:

some of y'all are coasting hard on nostalgia with this one and the plummeting metacritic average doesn't lie

my dudes: they break their own rules with the climax solution i mentioned, if that is possible then the dramatic plot hook of a ticking bomb means nothing...

they also take the idea that these two dudes with their chill attitudes save the world with positivity that make the first two and then go "eh just kidding, it wasn't them" so this movie is totally good with doing whatever it wants to what was established

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 29, 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

zer0spunk posted:

please don't compare this kickstarter film with the two movies i actually really like and will rewatch again in the future for the umpteenth time :smith:

some of y'all are coasting hard on nostalgia with this one and the plummeting metacritic average doesn't lie
Woah, I'm not talking about anything in the film other than your singular complaint about the time travel rules.
The first films were full of "let's make sure we take a key and put it right there / let's drop a trashcan on a guy's head / let's drop a cage on the villain somehow" time travel gags that make no real sense.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Missy marrying Ted's brother and B&T putting buckets on their heads so they don't remember how they escaped Dave Grohl's house were the funniest bits

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i seem to be the only one really criticizing this thing, so let's go for it

- i don't need a plot rehash of the first two movies, do something interesting with this thing ffs. the mini excellent adventure with the daughters and the wacky new robot character doing the fish out of water death routine from bogus journey is lame. i get that all of these past prime sequels do this for the most part because they target nostalgia from the previous entries but it's weak. especially when bogus was such a sharp departure from what we thought 2 would be, more of the same time travel collecting hijinx and it wasn't..i'm kinda shocked the same writers did all three films.

-the robot did nothing for me, and i like that actor (noho rules)

-the comedian cast not actually being anything but "funny reactions" is lame. all of those people are actually funny if you let them do something.

- small nitpick but casting younger actresses as the princesses doing bad english accents is strange when they went through the trouble of recasting teds dad

- the dead horse kid cudi joke was cringe but will also date the hell out of this. it's like if the OG movie used some popular hair band in 89 among the historical figures..why? was cudi a producer or something??

- all of it was bland, the green screen over set design just makes it feel like a fan film.

- i hope dave grohl got a decent payday for showing up for his single day of work

if i were in my 40s with a teenage daughter i'd like this more..but i'm in my 30s

my mid 60s mom will love this thing though. the best i can say is i'm happy they had fun making it and it could have been even worse like zoolander 2 or dumb and dumberererer

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Breadallelogram posted:

Missy marrying Ted's brother and B&T putting buckets on their heads so they don't remember how they escaped Dave Grohl's house were the funniest bits

Agreed! :yeah:

I loved that follow up line "We should always not know what we're doing!". That whole sequence actually felt like Classic Bill & Ted, in fact both of those bits you mentioned felt like Classic Bill & Ted. I just wish there was more of that and less breakneck cutting back and forth in time that felt like you chopped up three different movies and just haphazardly edited them together.

zer0spunk posted:

i seem to be the only one really criticizing this thing, so let's go for it

Those are all valid criticisms, I don't think anyone here would disagree with you on them, we're just trying to remain positive in these most non-triumphant times.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i feel you. i went in blind (didnt even notice the daughters on the poster in the tiny rear end thumbnail), as a fan of the first 2, and i came out wishing it was better.

i wanted it to be more surreal and do more with the time travel/multiverse thing then it did. i think all the stories that have been told in that genre since the early 90s kind of had me expecting them to go balls out on some hitchhikers/good place surrealism given how weird Bogus Journey was over EA, and this ended up being about family instead. idk, not mad just meh at it. the first two are still iconic, this one not that much.

it's funny to see most of the reviews being like GIVEN THE DUMPSTER FIRE GOING ON THIS WAS AMAZING, bold new world on that one. now i'm expecting sonic the hedgehog to win some best film awards in dec

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Word. Between this movie and Sonic the Hedgehog, it's been a good movie year for 9 year old me. Now they just need to make a Mad Magazine and a new Garbage Pail Kids movie and I'll be set.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'm more with you on the movie than I am with most reviewers, Zerospunk. Some additional criticisms-

- Liked how they brought in other famous historical musicians to help the band at the end. But they could have brought back Beethoven playing the synthesizer, my favorite part from B&T1. Why didn't they?

- Whatever happened to the Good Robot Us-es?

- The movie completely ruined the idea of a Good Future for the Bill & Ted universe. If The Great Leaders can unapologetically mess with the timestream by sending out killer robots... just think about the implications and tell me that's not messed up.

Still, it had its good points. I recommend it be seen for these. Plenty of other reviewers have already pointed out what they are.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zer0spunk posted:

- small nitpick but casting younger actresses as the princesses doing bad english accents is strange when they went through the trouble of recasting teds dad

You mean that they went through the trouble of not recasting Ted's dad? Either way yeah, recasting the Princesses (again) with younger actors was some typical Hollywood bullshit. Especially since all of the previous princesses are still in the business to one degree or another as near as I can tell.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

howe_sam posted:

You mean that they went through the trouble of not recasting Ted's dad? Either way yeah, recasting the Princesses (again) with younger actors was some typical Hollywood bullshit. Especially since all of the previous princesses are still in the business to one degree or another as near as I can tell.

yeah sorry, confusing wording on my part re-casting and recasting totally different. should have been a -

e: and missy came back too!

i'm actually big fans of erinn hayes (childrens hospital and all of those productions + a million comedy groups/podcasts) and jayma mays..but that ties back into comics being wasted in this movie

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 29, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, there's a non-zero chance that all the actors who played the princesses specifically refused to come back since they're practically walk-on roles that are barely there. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they loved the parts and would've loved to do more but the princesses are really underwritten and I could see actors just going "nah" if they had other things going on, or if they wanted more money.

e: I just had a thought related to the "clock is always running in San Dimas" plot point that they broke in the second movie, and how they could've fixed it in Bogus Journey. Instead of Bill & Ted leaving the venue in a phone booth and coming back in a phone booth (because that'd mean the audience sat there for like nine months), Bill & Ted just exit backstage and then come back to the venue in a phone booth, implying that they left to practice for nine months and then came back to the venue which is now "the past". That doesn't really explain why the "clock is running" thing is... a thing... but it'd help that bit make more sense.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
lets all be thankful they didnt do this (cuz they couldn't afford it lol)

quote:

director Dean Parisot tells Polygon that the filmmaking team had to scrap a sequence involving a computer-generated re-creation of George Carlin.
Parisot says that journey was supposed to include a jump back to the Circle K, where they would ask Rufus for insight.
“We probably could have afforded to build the Circle K set,” he says, “but we were using footage from the original Bill & Ted. We would have had to create a CG George Carlin, which is incredibly expensive, and very difficult to pull off in a convincing way. We didn’t have the time or the money. But we had a great scene where they went back to talk to Carlin.”

yeah gently caress a CG carlin, :wtc:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/27/21401748/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-rufus-cameo-george-carlin-scene-director-interview