Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

it helps a lot that is isn’t actually written by Kiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

King Vidiot posted:

Also it didn't occur to me when I was a kid, but that song isn't even meant to be the song they're playing, it's just non-diagetic music to play us out of the story.

Yup, the guitar solo stuff was done separately by Steve Vai and he put out a CD of his movie work and included the separated out riffs which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRvA3MZZLE

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yup, the guitar solo stuff was done separately by Steve Vai and he put out a CD of his movie work and included the separated out riffs which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRvA3MZZLE

This is awesome, thank you for sharing this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve Vai ain't poo poo!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqdL36VKbMQ

If you didn't figure it out - he's playing all of Ralph Macchios riffs hehe

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

Also has anybody else changed their opinion on which is the best Bill & Ted movie over the years? Bogus Journey was my first, my mom picked it up on VHS and I watched it at least a dozen times, and only watched Excellent Adventure a few times when it came on cable. But then somewhere along the way I just started liking the original more, and even during my recent rewatch I enjoyed it more than Bogus Journey. I have more nostalgia for Journey but I think Adventure is the best.

Really, I think they're about equal in their own way, and are different enough from each other to almost be apples and oranges.

Like, Excellent Adventure is the more tightly-crafted movie, but it's not really a very ambitious one. Bogus Journey is a little more ropey, but it's also shooting for the loving moon, so it being kind of loose and janky at times doesn't hurt it much.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Bogus Journey is absolutely the better movie. No matter how often I watch Excellent Adventure, I zone out as soon as they get to medieval times every single time. Something about that part of the movie just draaaaags. As soon as they leave I'm back on board.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bogus Journey is absolutely the better movie. No matter how often I watch Excellent Adventure, I zone out as soon as they get to medieval times every single time. Something about that part of the movie just draaaaags. As soon as they leave I'm back on board.

The loving Iron Maiden joke in the medieval bit always kills me though

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alex Winter in the Bogus Journey commentary said it was his favorite because they let him and Keanu write a little of it, and the movie had more of Alex Winter's style of comedy in it. It's weird that I absolutely love Freaked and The Idiot Box but still prefer Excellent Adventure. Winter's humor really clicks with me but Excellent Adventure still edges Bogus Journey out just a bit.

Just a bit, I agree that they're very nearly equal.

vv The line that always sticks with me is Williams Sadler's delivery of "...'dey melvined me". A close second is literally any other line from Death.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 2, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I prefer EA pretty solidly over BJ, but I still like a lot of BJ. I think the humor is just not as good in BJ and the last act of the movie from heaven onward is just kinda boring. I also think the core idea behind EA is so much better, the traveling through history and meeting historical figures and the final report at the end is so much more fun than most of BJ aside from Death.

Bogus Journey did give us the line "I've got a full on robot chubby" though so that's something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Most (all?) of my problems with this movie were execution and not conceptual. The plot with them reconnecting with their wives - good idea, but maybe have the wives play an actual part instead of them having a weird background adventure. Them passing the torch to their kids - good idea, good casting, the daughters got basically nothing to do and didn't feel like their own characters. Jumping through their own futures - led to some fun scenes, but the "lovely us'es" kind of just disappear from the movie.

The Death scenes were my favourite part. William Sadler hasn't lost a step.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I had no idea that William Sadler also played Death prior to and after Bogus Journey, and every time he did it was with the same costume and makeup and hokey accent. Death Cinematic Universe when???

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This wasn't exactly a perfect movie but I needed to see it right now and I'm glad and grateful that I did. It's such a graceful and genuinely loving flick.

The contrast between Bill and Ted's interactions with their old us's hit home hard. Gotta be less Ted and more Bill, man

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 4, 2020

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Regardless of any criticism, this movie just made me feel warm inside. Just a wholesome labor of love. Alex and Keanu made their dream project. This is what I needed in these cold, dark times. Just a bit of warmth, some brightness in the covid days.

Keanu always cheers me up. He may not be the best actor, but he's an incredible human being and philanthropist. He IS Ted. Theodore Logan.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

This movie still left one question left unanswered, did Bill S. Preston, Esq. ever complete his law degree?

And would he then be Bill S. Preston, Esq., Esq.?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Argue posted:

I had no idea that William Sadler also played Death prior to and after Bogus Journey, and every time he did it was with the same costume and makeup and hokey accent. Death Cinematic Universe when???

In what other movies has he played death?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He played Death on Tales from the Crypt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King Vidiot posted:

This movie still left one question left unanswered, did Bill S. Preston, Esq. ever complete his law degree?

And would he then be Bill S. Preston, Esq., Esq.?

That was brought up in the AMA, he said it's very funny and he wishes he'd thought of it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

AFewBricksShy posted:

In what other movies has he played death?

Mantis42 posted:

He played Death on Tales from the Crypt.

That, and also on this comedy sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TToqrsnkI

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Argue posted:

That, and also on this comedy sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TToqrsnkI

I like to imagine that Death has been trying to get into show business for a while and Wyld Stallyns was his big break.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
This is my favorite movie.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I never saw bill and ted anything before right now, and I just watched all 3 in a row. 1 was incredible, 2 was the sequel that is somehow better than the first, and this, the reboot 20 years later, shouldn't be good, definitely shouldn't be positive or utopian, but is in fact all of those and also the best movie.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

I never saw bill and ted anything before right now, and I just watched all 3 in a row. 1 was incredible, 2 was the sequel that is somehow better than the first, and this, the reboot 20 years later, shouldn't be good, definitely shouldn't be positive or utopian, but is in fact all of those and also the best movie.

They went into it whole-heartedly, without cynicism or ego or winking at the camera. That sincerity comes through, and I, for one, can appreciate it.

It's a fun movie.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Keanu and Alex’s 40 year long bromance is big love energy in an incredibly dark time.

It’s gotta be wild to walk up to John Wick and start, like, tickling his ribs and jumping up and down and shredding air guitar with him like he isn’t the most famous action movie star in the world.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Drunkboxer posted:

Unless I'm completely misremembering something screaming STATION is just a thing in the Bill and Ted Universe. Like the Faith No More guy yells it out of nowhere at the beginning of Bogus Journey, before we see Station the alien.

I rewatched the first two recently and this is one of the nicer details of Bogus Journey. In the distant future, "STATION!" is a saying that sounds like random future slang at first, but we later learn that it's like a celebration of Station the creature(s) and the events of Bogus Journey itself. "STATION!" is like a positive version of exclaiming Christ's name.

So it's kind of brilliant that Evil Ted -- who is built in the future -- excitedly uses the term once or twice without realizing that he's invoking the name of his own undoing. It's like how De Nomolos tells Rufus that, "Time will tell," and Rufus bluntly replies, "Time did tell." Nomolos thinks that he's going to change history when his attempt to change history is PART of history.

Another neat time travel thing from the originals: Rufus never actually introduced himself to the guys. Bill and Ted only know his name is Rufus because their slightly-future selves tell them that his name is Rufus. Rinse, repeat.

Anyway, I really liked the new movie. Especially the gag about how weird it is that a robot has an afterlife.

The scene of Bill and Ted saying their goodbyes to their elderly selves is extremely touching, especially when you look at it through the meta lens of Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves talking to their characters. Keanu used to feel embarrassed and/or bitter about the role, but has since embraced it, so it was really sweet to see him "make amends" with Ted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Keanu and Alex’s 40 year long bromance is big love energy in an incredibly dark time.

It’s gotta be wild to walk up to John Wick and start, like, tickling his ribs and jumping up and down and shredding air guitar with him like he isn’t the most famous action movie star in the world.

Keanu is apparently the nicest man in the world so I think he'd air guitar with about anyone

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Enjoyed the plot, made me feel pretty good, enjoyed Death, enjoyed a nice throwback

but there were three scenes where Bill was on Ted's left instead of on his right

0/10

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sockser posted:

Enjoyed the plot, made me feel pretty good, enjoyed Death, enjoyed a nice throwback

but there were three scenes where Bill was on Ted's left instead of on his right

0/10

that's the whole plot man, the most fundamental characteristics of time and space are literally breaking down before your eyes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In a very awesome movie with a ton of legitimately laugh-out-loud moments, it was the Guitar Center truck that somehow got the biggest laugh out of me. I might be broken.

Also Kid Cudi saying he’ll take care of the power and never following up on it, just because he’s Kid Cudi, time and space wizard.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 9, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

They really should've just made Cudi into Rufus' successor and gotten rid of the Schaal character

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

They really should've just made Cudi into Rufus' successor and gotten rid of the Schaal character

Schaal's character is a tribute to Carlin, so that was never going to happen.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

He could have just been Rufus' protege and that would have been an equally good tribute, this movie is just way overstuffed with characters who get nothing to do

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He should have been Station's protege and at the end he should have split off into two Kid Cudis

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

He should have been Station's protege and at the end he should have split off into two Kid Cudis

Lol even better. two small Cudis

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

This would've absolutely been better. It's not like the movie doesn't have enough white women anyway

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The move they really should have made is they should have brought back Pam Grier.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

The move they really should have made is they should have brought back Pam Grier.

Well yeah, she should be in every movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Yeah she could have just been Rufus who got stuck in his Pam suit and couldn't get out. Now THAT'S a Carlin tribute.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah she could have just been Rufus who got stuck in his Pam suit and couldn't get out. Now THAT'S a Carlin tribute.

Or he didn't want to come out. I mean, who'd not want to keep looking like Pam Grier?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

He could have just been Rufus' protege and that would have been an equally good tribute, this movie is just way overstuffed with characters who get nothing to do

She's his daughter and named Kelly because he really has a daughter named Kelly. That is the entire tribute and what you're suggesting would remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently the real Kelly is in the movie too, in one of the future people scenes.