Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

There is a ton about the world that you'll miss if you don't obsessively talk to NPCs.

NPCs without names generally have two things to say if you talk to them twice. Depending on the area, this can change throughout the story after major (and some minor) events, as well as completing certain quests.

NPCs with names have 3-6 unique lines throughout the day. These can vary based on storyline progress, decisions made on quests, time of day, and more. Also, the majority of quest givers have unique dialog if you have the right person in your party.

This game had to be a pain to translate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Prowler posted:

There is a ton about the world that you'll miss if you don't obsessively talk to NPCs.

NPCs without names generally have two things to say if you talk to them twice. Depending on the area, this can change throughout the story after major (and some minor) events, as well as completing certain quests.

NPCs with names have 3-6 unique lines throughout the day. These can vary based on storyline progress, decisions made on quests, time of day, and more. Also, the majority of quest givers have unique dialog if you have the right person in your party.

There's a point in the game that I think everyone reaches where they straight give up all hope of talking to all the NPCs in the game, because it's simply too impossibly daunting. For me it was Alcamoth.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Prowler posted:

IIRC there's an infamous interview where someone who was on NoA's localization department said that they looked at the workload and balked because they knew that the game was going to cost too much and wasn't going to sell to anyone but a small and dedicated fanbase and admitted that the game came to the states by chance because NoE ate the cost of localization. I believe that dude ended up being fired for doing this interview; I think it went over Nintendo's PR department, so he ended up revealing too much about the localization process and his tone was kind of derogatory towards the niche audience that would have picked up a game like Xenoblade if something like Operation Rainfall didn't spread the word.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Whenever you reach a new location which gets a big title screen, its location on the titan is pinpointed, with a bright dot surrounded by a ring. In this case, Colony 9 is on the lower right (?) leg of the Bionis just above the ankle.

EDIT: An embarassing amount of typos for such a small post.

Ah right, thanks for the reminder! Admittedly I don't pay a whole lot of attention to those blips so details like "where this area is" slip by and I can really only remember by inferring where the party would logically be given their trajectory.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Will you be bee-lining straight to Tephra Cave before doubling back to do some sidequests?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I basically mainlined the plot for an hour, hour and a half. For the presentation of this LP though, voiced commentary videos will have a focus on the main plot with some episodes devoted to running some side quests, but the majority of sidequests are probably going to be commentary-free side videos.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ChaosArgate posted:

the majority of sidequests are probably going to be commentary-free side videos.
i.e. Chill Xenoblade Beats to Study to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Strange Matter posted:

i.e. Chill Xenoblade Beats to Study to.

《insert chill Xenoblade track name here》 on a 10 hour loop

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta love the Cellar Bugworm.

Kicks in everyone's teeth the first time they go through Tephra Cave.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My god this is a good looking game. Like, there are definitely games with better textures and resolution and what not, but art direction in this is just so on-point.

I'd dearly wish I had another free 120 hours of my life to put into this.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I have no idea why Artix is complaining so much about having to use Monado Enchant every fight. First off, for most of the game you're fighting non-Mechon enemeies, and second you can use it right from the start so you don't need to wait for it to charge up or anything.

Also, Shulk is one of my favorite JPRG protagonists purely for his unfiltered hated and rage towards the Mechon after this episode. He is an angry boy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Shulk's hometown is getting doomed, and you're spending a solid minute riffing on the idea that there can be more than one type of alert siren. That's kinda killing the intended "oh poo poo" mood of the scene.
- I think that some energy (Ether) weapons have to do something against the Mechon, otherwise there's not much point in giving people weapons and taking all those artillery things to Sword Valley. It's just that there aren't very many of those attacks available.
- What they did to the song "One Who Gets In Our Way" is an atrocity. It used to be have that fantastic heavy bass, and they got rid of it. Awful, awful choice.
- You joke, but the "see into the future" stuff gets used a lot. Like, if you pick up a Bear rear end, you will get a vision telling you that you'll need some Bear Asses for a sidequest.

Thank you very much for not talking through the big scene. It's a truly fantastic moment. The way Metal Face just casually tosses the remains over his shoulder is brutal. It is of no further interest to him, just garbage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

- Shulk's hometown is getting doomed, and you're spending a solid minute riffing on the idea that there can be more than one type of alert siren. That's kinda killing the intended "oh poo poo" mood of the scene.

We recorded that joke three times :negative:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Deleted

Slaan fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 6, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

deleted

I thought we said no spoilers?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 6, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought we said no spoilers?

It's not. It's a guess based on stupid anime tropes. I've never seen this game before. Deleted

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slaan posted:

It's not. It's a guess based on stupid anime tropes. I've never seen this game before. Deleted

I was just loving with you, I don't know if its real or not

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Speculation is fine, I have no problem with making earnest guesses about what you think may or may not happen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what this game is saying is that Dunban and Shulk aren't becoming in-laws?

sucks

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah slaan had just posted some pretty common tropes. wasnt no spoilers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what this game is saying is that Dunban and Shulk aren't becoming in-laws?

sucks

Yes, but now Shulk is free to pursue Dunban directly :heysexy:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You know I was skeptical when the first trailers for this came out because while I know that the facial design for the characters in the original was imposed by the limited hardware I still kind of liked it, muddy as it was. And the more traditionally anime faces used in this remaster kind of had me wary. BUT they really do work for the characters here and give you a feel for Fiora's fear and Shulk's rage.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

You know I was skeptical when the first trailers for this came out because while I know that the facial design for the characters in the original was imposed by the limited hardware I still kind of liked it, muddy as it was. And the more traditionally anime faces used in this remaster kind of had me wary. BUT they really do work for the characters here and give you a feel for Fiora's fear and Shulk's rage.

Yeah, you forget about the changes once the game is underway, and other than Shulk and Fiora the changes aren't too major. (But I still have to reference the original muddy faces when remaking those two characters in a game's CAC, the new ones are not distinct enough to recreate.)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Right now, Shulk is a great character. I like his nerdy disposition and combined with his rage against the mechons to fuel his actions, I see a great potential in him. I do however strongly disagree with his character development though. Heck, I think of the whole Xenoblade story like that, it's great now, but I don't like the direction it takes later on. What I don't like has to wait until we get there though.

Anyway, as far as the mechon invulnerability goes, the way I see it is that you can damage human sized mechons with anti tank weapons if you score a direct hit, but you can't damage human sized mechons with anti personal weapons and tank sized mechons are not bothered by anti tank weapons. This does not make them completely indestructible, but it makes defeating an army of them pretty much impossible. IRL, artillery is only effective against humans because you don't need a direct hit. If a shell explodes 10 feet away from someone, that person is still dead. Imagine how much less effective artillery shells and pretty much everything else would be if the artillery shell had to be exact on target. Imagine if your enemy did not have those restrictions.

Crystalgate fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 7, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also agreed that using enchant is not very annoying. It takes a second to cast it and it lasts the rest of the fight pretty much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

100% worth it for the "Siren 3 is a lovely remake of Siren 1" joke, though.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The only problem I have with Monado Enchant is that it means you have to be controlling Shulk when you fight Mechon because the ai is not reliable at using it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah it is. If you're fighting Mechon then AI Shulk will almost always use Enchant. He will then use Buster. A lot.

'least in my experience anyway.

AI Shulk is only terrible with his positional moves.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The thing about Shulk is that he's actually really fun to play as because so many of his moves are positional. With other characters the goal is just "choose the strongest Art not on cooldown, or the one you want to use to set-up a Topple", but with Shulk the gameplay is a lot more engaging because you're constantly moving to get into the right position to deal maximum damage. There's only one other character whose gameplay is quite so involved (optimal play involves using a flowchart), and like Shulk the AI is also really bad at controlling them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Strange Matter posted:

The thing about Shulk is that he's actually really fun to play as because so many of his moves are positional. With other characters the goal is just "choose the strongest Art not on cooldown, or the one you want to use to set-up a Topple", but with Shulk the gameplay is a lot more engaging because you're constantly moving to get into the right position to deal maximum damage. There's only one other character whose gameplay is quite so involved (optimal play involves using a flowchart), and like Shulk the AI is also really bad at controlling them.

Is that the 5th party member? The one which plays like a blaster-type mage? I liked playing as that one a lot once I figured them out. Part of me is starting to feel the urge to play this again... but I'm also watching another LP of it and it's reminded me that the game is so insanely long that I kinda don't want to play it again.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Is that the 5th party member? The one which plays like a blaster-type mage? I liked playing as that one a lot once I figured them out. Part of me is starting to feel the urge to play this again... but I'm also watching another LP of it and it's reminded me that the game is so insanely long that I kinda don't want to play it again.
Yeah, that's the one. I'd also add that Shulk synergizes super well with Reyn since Reyn is an aggro machine, which lets Shulk maneuver to achieve ideal attack angles.

I always felt like it was really hard to pin XBC characters into traditional combat rolls outside of Reyn and maybe one other who have clear archetypes. Shulk, for instance, is your main character, but he's a little fragile and his arts are all about shaking off Aggro in order to sneak in and backstab dudes or shank them in the side, but also he has a bunch of buffs, AND also he can heal a little bit too.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It might just be me then but a lot of the time Shulk straight up would not use enchant when fighting Mechon. Or maybe I'm just misremembering I haven't played the game in years.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

It might just be me then but a lot of the time Shulk straight up would not use enchant when fighting Mechon. Or maybe I'm just misremembering I haven't played the game in years.
I dunno either, I generally defaulted to Shulk when fighting Mechon anyway and cycled between other characters when grinding sidequests and exploring.

Not a spoiler I don't think, but I'm really hoping that you guys spring for full Dodge Tank Dunban, it's pretty hilarious especially considering the kinds of armor you need to wear to achieve it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looked like Metal Face was showing the nuh uh uh finger waggle at one point. Sure acted more human than machine when tearing through people.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
pumped to binge this, thank you

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

I dunno either, I generally defaulted to Shulk when fighting Mechon anyway and cycled between other characters when grinding sidequests and exploring.

Not a spoiler I don't think, but I'm really hoping that you guys spring for full Dodge Tank Dunban, it's pretty hilarious especially considering the kinds of armor you need to wear to achieve it.

I have a feeling I know exactly what build you're talking about and we'll talk about it briefly later, but I'm not the biggest fan of that build.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChaosArgate posted:

I have a feeling I know exactly what build you're talking about and we'll talk about it briefly later, but I'm not the biggest fan of that build.

it's my favourite build!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Flashbacks are fine. The way this game is structured, you could have spent several hours sidequesting between this scene and now.
- Dunban probably had more friends among the troops than just Mumkhar.
- In fairness to Shulk, Colony 9 had just been sitting there, minding its own business when the Mechon came in. It doesn't seem like sitting there and hoping they won't come back is going to work any better than it did before - especially now that there are Mechon who are immune to the Monado.
- I don't know the history of the Homs/Mechon conflict, but I have the impression that it was not started by the side which is completely unable to harm the other side except for one (1) weapon.
- That frozen location is not the Bionis's ballsack. It's the right arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
-The Flashbacks make a lot more sense I think when you realize that from the time when that that conversation first happen till the flashback it's very easy for the player to spend, like, 8 hours just futzing around the area, so a reminder can be helpful.
-This game has a ton of sub-systems in it but of all of them, Gem Crafting always struck me as the weirdest. Like, once you do it a few times you get the picture, but there are so many intricacies to it once your party expands as to who works best with who. It's a bewildering design choice and it's nice that the game's difficulty is such that you can probably never interact with it at all and still do just fine.