Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Reyn's firecrotch needs at least ten minutes of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Shulk and Reyn being the Chuckle Brothers is something I didn't expect.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yvershek posted:

*Takes notes*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Yvershek posted:

"IT'S REYN TIME!"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The gem crafting thing is very phallic

Prowler
May 24, 2004

A lot has been said about how much better the original OST is than the DE version. Coming as a fan of the original who shamelessly had the album on his phone, I think there are certainly some songs that are a bit weaker than the original version, but there are a fair many that are just clearer and/or slightly arranged versions, or versions that are arguably outright better. Of course, I cannot yet endlessly list examples--since many of the songs are spoilers at this point. I am just saying that others new to this game shouldn't immediately dismiss it, especially since you may be hearing the music for the first time and may not have as emotional investment in the OG OST as others may.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah I definitely hear the difference in the OSTs so far, but I'm not especially offended by them because even if the arrangements used in the DE aren't as good, the compositions themselves are so excellent that it would take some real effort to actively ruin them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I really like the new arrangements. I don't think they're better than the original, but I feel like they stand out in their own.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Reyn did try to wake him, what do you think all those shouts of "SHULK!" were during the vision? It's possible Reyn did try nudging him, it might have been such an intense vision that it didn't work.
- Honestly the only new arrangement I absolutely hate is "One Who Gets In Our Way". The new "Engage the Enemy" is better than the original.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I actually love how they took the Monado's future sight and turned it from a deus ex machina into an actual exploitable game mechanic that is central to most boss fights. I don't know that I've ever played a game that handled it in quite that way before.

Boy, though, is that view from the kneecap memorable. It even looked great on the Wii, but wow this remaster really takes advantage of the better technology.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Honestly the only new arrangement I absolutely hate is "One Who Gets In Our Way".

I agree with you there, although I am absolutely in love with the bass line in the newer version. I do not think it's worse, I feel like it is going for something else, if that makes sense. The DE version feels like it would play when you fight the ultimate form of a monster (thanks to the vocals).

"You will Know Our Names" is a bit different. I prefer the original's reliance on guitars, but there are parts that I prefer in the DE version (e.g. 1 minute into the song), because the song itself feels more complex (the base line, the horns, the other strings).

There's another battle theme that I believe is 100% better than the original version. Not that it blows it out of the water, just is a better, clearer version of the same song with a few changes. Song titles aren't exactly spoilers, but I'm going to avoid mentioning for now to be safe.

----

God I wish I knew better music terminology.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
There is one song that didn't get remastered because it was already perfect :radcat: (though the title is a bit spoilery so I won't name it)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

But the future refused to change.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I think the characters need to master the skill of talking while walking.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So one of the things I love about the Bionis' Leg is the crazy topography. Like, yes it's a huge, sweeping vista, but more than that it's got all sort of rising land bridges and mesas and the entire area has this steady, gentle incline as you march inward that really invokes a sense of scope because at every point from the Leg you see where you're going and where you've come from. It was amazing on the Wii and looks incredible here.

Also, I dearly appreciate the fact that your characters move at a really nice clip everewhere they go. It makes the vastness of the area seem manageable instead of overwhelming.

Oh, and one last thing: notice how when you get to the Leg the player is given this huge, Planet Earth style panning shot of the area, but the characters are like "hey what's that smoke over there." This is their world and what seems incredible and wild to us is normal to them. It almost undercuts the moment, but in a way that feels authentic to their lives.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

1. With Colony 9 and 6 both in bad shape, there are actual towns to visit/shop/quest? Not gonna be another FF13?

2. Do Reyn and Sharla spend half the game flirting with each other?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

1. With Colony 9 and 6 both in bad shape, there are actual towns to visit/shop/quest? Not gonna be another FF13?

Yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Shulk's visions do not come with a timestamp and a long verbose description describing the entire scene. He might know someone is in danger, but he doesn't know where except for what the vision tells him, or when, and it also doesn't come with instructions on how to prevent the vision from coming to pass.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yes, but they're both hilariously bad at it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Shulk's visions do not come with a timestamp and a long verbose description describing the entire scene. He might know someone is in danger, but he doesn't know where except for what the vision tells him, or when, and it also doesn't come with instructions on how to prevent the vision from coming to pass.

Kinda useless when you think about it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Judge Tesla posted:

Kinda useless when you think about it.
Moreover when dealing with visions of other people, Shulk has no way of knowing if telling a person about the vision is part of the chain of events that causes it to happen. Really, the only option he has to try and prevent it from happening is sticking close to them and trying to react in the moment. One can imagine that it's really quite burdensome actually.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
After seeing what happened to colony 9 and we heard that colony 6 is in bad shape, too, i fear our gang (and the rest of the homs) could be eaten by robots.

For that i do not even need psychic powers and visons from the future. Shame on you Shulk. You better get a better magic trick.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Also let's not overlook the fact that the robots are eating people at all, which seems like a thing that robots shouldn't be doing. I love that there's no explanation for it at this stage, and the characters seem just as confused as we are, as well as suitably freaked out.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Everyone knows that robots eat people because we generate electrical energy as noted in the three part documentary The Matrix

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ugh. Juju. I can't stand that snot-nosed little brat.

I was cheering when Reyn told him off. Reyn says what we're all thinking. Reyn is a bro.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know, I can think of far worse children in games than Juju, he's just being a bit too proactive in a world where violent robot based death is everywhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't know, I can think of far worse children in games than Juju, he's just being a bit too proactive in a world where violent robot based death is everywhere.

I'm gonna come out and say it: for all the poo poo talking I do of him in the commentary to come, I actually kind of like, or at least respect Juju when all is said and done... largely for endgame/side-game poo poo that's all spoilers to talk about, but still.

The Worst JRPG Children Ever were those twins in Infinite Undiscovery, who made me stop playing the game cold literally 20 minutes past their introduction.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Judge Tesla posted:

The natural world of Xenoblade is ludicrously dangerous even without the killer robots. Little dude's lucky he just ran into some triceratops and not Territorial Rotbart, against whom Shulk and Reyn would be beyond useless at this stage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Nah, Juju is loving terrible. He went for a joyride and got into trouble from the wildlife, and literally five minutes after getting back from that situation which almost got him killed, he, having learned absolutely nothing whatsoever, goes charging off again towards more danger.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sorry crow, gonna defy you here and say: Juju is good.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm pro-Juju too. The kid's a twerp but all kids are, and it's not like anyone else in the story knows what they're doing at this point. One of the many interesting things about Xenoblade is that while the story wields sci-fi trappings, the characters overall have a very rough, low fantasy understanding of their world and a lot of its dangers are brand new to them. You sort of get that idea that not a lot of exploration happens, which given the presence of insane megafauna all over the place seems reasonable. Like, you have massive energy weapons and huge combat mechs, but no form of wireless communication whatsoever. The setting is wildly inconsistent in terms of this understanding, which makes it even more alien than it already is.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nah, Juju is loving terrible. He went for a joyride and got into trouble from the wildlife, and literally five minutes after getting back from that situation which almost got him killed, he, having learned absolutely nothing whatsoever, goes charging off again towards more danger.

How dare this child not act calmly and logically, he's basically acting like Shulk minus the Monado.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Judge Tesla posted:

How dare this child not act calmly and logically, he's basically acting like Shulk minus the Monado.

Juju is not four years old. If he's old enough to be driving a buggy around, he should be old enough to have developed some basic reasoning skills and at least a modicum of patience. He couldn't even wait five minutes for Shulk and Reyn to finish talking with his sister. My opinion stands.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 19, 2020

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It irks me a little bit when characters refer to in-game creatures as "monsters" when they should rightly see them as just animals. Shulk sees the triceratops things in a vision and says that monsters are attacking someone, but weren't there domesticated versions of these in Colony 9 hauling luggage? It's like if someone got attacked by a bull and the news was about "Tourist survives brush with deadly horned monster." Territorial Rotbart is a monster; a wild pack mule is not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ajkalan posted:

It irks me a little bit when characters refer to in-game creatures as "monsters" when they should rightly see them as just animals. Shulk sees the triceratops things in a vision and says that monsters are attacking someone, but weren't there domesticated versions of these in Colony 9 hauling luggage? It's like if someone got attacked by a bull and the news was about "Tourist survives brush with deadly horned monster." Territorial Rotbart is a monster; a wild pack mule is not.

Maybe monster is just the word they use for animal on the Bionis?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- No, seriously, why does Juju get the only working land vehicle in the camp? That's twice he's wrecked his vehicle in 12 hours.
- And where the gently caress is he going? To get to that spiral rock formation, you need to follow the road towards Colony 6, then abruptly make a hard 90-degree left turn off the road, away from the direction of the colony to go wandering off somewhere else. Why?
- Yes, actually, Shulk or his friends being in mortal danger is actually one way to unlock new abilities.

- Sharla's biggest problem is that she's a dedicated healer in a game designed to not require a dedicated healer. It's amazing how no one in the development team seemed to think that was an issue.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Juju is a loving stupid name :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Okay there, "Mark"