Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mean pretty much all of their names are stupid :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Ah, hello. You've applied for our front end cashier position. Mr... Shulk, is it? That short for something?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Uh, yeah, Reyn is short for Reynaldo."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Dunban... did your parents not know how to spell 'Duncan'?"

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I remember the last LP thread described Mysterious Face as a Warhammer 40K ork with JRPG art. Listening to him is a treat. :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NGDBSS posted:

I remember the last LP thread described Mysterious Face as a Warhammer 40K ork with JRPG art. Listening to him is a treat. :allears:

Basically, yes.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Sally posted:

"Uh, yeah, Reyn is short for Reynaldo."

My head cannon was that Reyn's real name is "Ryan" but due to speech difficulties as a young boy he was convinced that Reyn is the correct pronunciation. So his parents and the rest of the town played along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

"Dunban... did your parents not know how to spell 'Duncan'?"

Dick....son.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dickson is a normal name, that's the best part. The origins is that there was a guy named Richard, "Dick" was the shortened form of Richard at the time, and he had a son. So if his son was named Fred, and because surnames were descriptive, he was known as "Fred, Dick's Son" and it just kinda stuck and evolved into Dickson/Dixon.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You can do some neat things with Sharla (she secretly has rock-solid defense so if you can get heavy armour on her, since healing draws so much aggro, she can act as both support and tank simultaneously) but she's definitely the least fun party member to toy around with. I would like her a lot better if you could use her cool off during chain attacks since that would throw her into the fray AND give the talent art wildcard to the multiplier but alas. The AI doesn't help because of how Cool Off works: the hotter it gets the longer it takes to cool off, and it always waits until it's full to use it. Theoretically you can manage it (support and healing are more effective with a cooler rifle and offensive arts are more effective with a hotter one) but that involves playing as Sharla and given literally every other choice, why would you?

She is pretty good for long drawn out fights: it's kind of like using an all-divide in a Tales game: the fight is longer but it's more manageable. Late game I found she was useful for bosses that were five or more levels above me.

...I have sunk a hundred hours into this game on my main file alone on the Wii version, I love talking shop about the mechanics.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Theoretically you can manage it (support and healing are more effective with a cooler rifle and offensive arts are more effective with a hotter one) but that involves playing as Sharla and given literally every other choice, why would you?
That sounds like a potentially fun mechanic for if she was more a sniper/healer and less of whatever she really is. You use healing, switch to offense and then cooldown and repeat. If she had a strong offense to compensate for the cooldown, that could work as burst damage potential. Even as things are, she may have been more fun if you had more control over the AI. If you could tell the AI things like "use only healing", "use only offense" and "use cooldown now", she would have been better. Or even better, if you could have set her AI up to use healing respective offensive arts at as well as cooldown at certain thresholds.

And this brings me to one of my biggest griefs with this game, the poor control over the AI. If I have three characters in my party, I want to be able to decide what all three of them are doing. I can see how allowing full control could be a problem, for certain bosses they could run into the problem that either they are set up so that the player is forced to micromanage every character or they become to easy if the are set up to not require micromanaging, but the player chooses to do so anyway. I do however think they could have done better than Xenoblade did.

I may as well mention my second grief with the game mechanic, the level difference advantage/penalty. When you go up in level, you already get an advantage by having better stats. Checking level difference just adds problems. It's used in MMOs to gate players and to ensure leveling up does give you a tangible advantage. In a game like World of Warcraft, your stats are mostly determined by equipment, for many stats, your characters own strength contributes just a minuscule amount to your total prowess. As such, going from level 21 to 22 makes very little difference until you upgrade to level 22 equipment, or rather, that would have been the case if it wasn't so that being level 22 against level 21 enemies by itself gave you advantages. You can also at any time move on to new areas, if you get overleveled for your current area, you don't need to finish certain story sequences to progress, you can just pack up and move.

In Xenoblade, you're already gated by the story. Adding a level gate causes problems. If you get overleveled because you explored everything available right now, then the game mechanic will tell you that you need to seek out higher leveled enemies for challenge while the story will sooner or later force you to fight underleveled enemies and bosses. I think this edition allows you to remove or mitigate that mechanic though.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Crystalgate posted:

I think this edition allows you to remove or mitigate that mechanic though.

The DE made it so you can lower your level whenever you want.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Damage output aside, what kills Sharla as a key party member for me is her poor Chain Attack compatibility. Her Arts simply don't mesh well with Shulk and Reyn at all, and even in the later game when your party expands it's still surprisingly hard to get her into a decent Chain, which is instrumental in handling serious encounters.

Boy do I love Mysterious Face though. Up to this point the game has conditioned you to think of the Mechon as an implacable, silent force, then here comes this guy who actively trash talks you for the entire battle with his slimy cockney accent, it's such a massive shift in expectations. The way he says "Muh-na-doh boi" kills me everytime. It should be hilarious except that he's like twenty feet tall and really wants to kill you, and so it becomes genuinely threatening.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Apologies for being late, I had an internet outage that lasted pretty much all day yesterday.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Man you weren't kidding about Otharon's outline. He looks like a character from Borderlands.

Also Ether Rifles look so cool in cutscenes when they're firing big, meaty energy bolts, it's a shame that Sharla's is so anemic in actual combat. Imagine if she had something on par with Reyn's Big O-esque pile driver move he does.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

A test pit is a trial mine. Dig down, see if you get something. If you do, it gets expanded into a full mine shaft. If not, we’ll you didn’t have to do too much work to strike out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I appreciated all these early scenes that mostly counters the "character has a secret that is bothering them and would make things a hell of a lot easier on everyone involved if they just communicated instead of hiding it" trope. For me, Reyn spoke for me.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Fall Defense gems are even more extra useless than you'd think; they only reduce the damage of falls you'd survive without them.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Weeble posted:

Fall Defense gems are even more extra useless than you'd think; they only reduce the damage of falls you'd survive without them.

There's a lot of Gem effects in this game that really just feel completely worthless and Fall Defense is definitely pretty high on that list.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Prowler posted:

I appreciated all these early scenes that mostly counters the "character has a secret that is bothering them and would make things a hell of a lot easier on everyone involved if they just communicated instead of hiding it" trope. For me, Reyn spoke for me.

Reyn is great, and actually acts like someone whose known Shulk all his life

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Polderjoch posted:

There's a lot of Gem effects in this game that really just feel completely worthless and Fall Defense is definitely pretty high on that list.
You should be able to stack them and passing 100% should let you heal by falling off things.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You should be able to stack them and passing 100% should let you heal by falling off things.

every gem effect has an upper limit, and fall defence's is 75%, so this wouldn't work

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Polderjoch posted:

every gem effect has an upper limit, and fall defence's is 75%, so this wouldn't work
because the devs are cowards, yes.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I could just see that now, a Mechon stabs Shulk, throws his body off the side of the Bionis, then the boss music starts and shulks name appears above 5 health bars.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I had wondered if quarantine had hosed up my brain somehow--being stuck indoors with nothing to do and no one to hang out with other than my cat.

I then bought and played this game, beating all but 2 of the super bosses and finishing 99% of all the quests, unlocked all the full area maps, filled out about 99% of the affinity chart, got nearly everyone (except Sharla and Reyn) to the second highest or highest level of party affinity with each other.

Nope, brain is completely normal. Don't know why I was worried.

Anyways I'm off to take photographs of lucky emblems in KH3.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh man, all of this is great. Too bad you didn't put Dickson in, this was the only battle he can be in the party.

That song which is playing when Dunban makes his charge is called Unfinished Battle (or, apparently, Unfinished Business?). It's only used once in the main game, and it does not loop.

I hope at this point you'll start mixing it up and playing with different characters in the lead. You've been playing entirely as Shulk, which seems like a little of a missed opportunity.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

no "get me out of this wack rear end crystal prison" jokes? Shame on you :D

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
-As great as Xord is as a character, Metal Face is truly perfect. He's so spiteful and mean spirited and loves every second of making your life miserable.

-That vision you get when fighting Metal Face is one of the best ones in the game because it comes so far out of left field and everything in it is brand new. Like, Shulk is super mad about what Metal Face did to Emperor, and we don't even know that there is an Emperor now, or even that there is an Empire of anything, period. And we still won't know that for, from what I recall, several hours.

-Speaking of Shulk being super mad, I would have killed to be in that recording studio when Adam Howden did his lines for this game. He's so angry
and the voice acting really sells it.

-Dunban owns and if your part was just Shulk/Dunban/Reyn for the rest of the game you'd have the firepower to deal with pretty much everything that you come across, baring a few encounters that pretty much require Ether.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I hope at this point you'll start mixing it up and playing with different characters in the lead. You've been playing entirely as Shulk, which seems like a little of a missed opportunity.

Oh don't worry, this is the point where I start messing around with different party comps to mix it up for videos. I could have played Reyn, yeah, but I wanted to make sure that Monado Enchant was in effect for the mechon in the Ether Mines.

Strange Matter posted:

-Dunban owns and if your part was just Shulk/Dunban/Reyn for the rest of the game you'd have the firepower to deal with pretty much everything that you come across, baring a few encounters that pretty much require Ether.

I'll touch on party compositions a bit next video, but yes, pure physical is a wonderful team.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Xord owns.

Shulk/Dunban/Reyn owns.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The mines are honestly my least favorite part of the game. Even on replays that place is such a slog and the music sucks too. At least you get Dunban right after so it's all uphill from here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe that they had a chance to fix Sharla's talent art now and decided not to. And not even that but she's still firing off like 7 rapid fire shots in cutscenes like it's no big deal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eventually
eeeeeeeeventually

There is a sharla build that lets hire fire off her only red art as fast as her animations let her.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Why even use Sharla when you can use characters that aren't Sharla?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Why even use Sharla when you can use characters that aren't Sharla?

How am I supposed to raise her affinity with everyone if I don't ever use her in battle?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

RareAcumen posted:

How am I supposed to raise her affinity with everyone if I don't ever use her in battle?

A lot of Fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

loving love Dance Apples