Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Many people are addicted to ice

People wear thongs (flip flops) all year round, even in winter

People call each other oval office a lot. Sometimes this is a friendly greeting, sometimes it is an act of hostility. Good luck working out which is which!

My highschool is blocks away from a minimum security prison

It's like half an hour to the beach so, you know, that's pretty cool

Ok your turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

Get absolutely devoured by mosquitos as you walk along a path next to the river.
Soon you'll see a historic fort at the top of a hill.
Take a right turn down the path to get to the front of the fort, but be blocked by a group of tourists.
Walk around them and see a statue of an important man, and note how not a single person is paying attention to it.
Turn west toward the town itself.
There are some good restaurants along the main strip.
Get close to an excellent burger place and get blocked by a group of tourists.
Say "gently caress it" and walk south along the main strip until you reach a gas station.
Across the street is an old cemetery, and beyond that is a cool church.
Request sanctuary from all the god drat tourists.

nut

car manifold factory supporting town economy

largest cultural development was when we got our tim hortons

next cultural development is the McDonald’s going in this year

gnarly looking river mom won’t let you swim in with your friends

that being said, tons of open green space, safe for kids to be out all day, and was really fun to grow up in. At least before the bowling alley and movie theatre shuttered :unsmith:

Finger Prince

Mainly a suburban hellscape.
You know the town in stranger things? Like that only bigger and with more subdivisions, industrial parks, strip malls, and less woods, hills, interdimensional monsters. And in Canada. So unlike the town in stranger things but also very much not unlike the town in stranger things.
Has a Springfield/Shelbyville relationship with the neighboring town. Is Springfield in this relationship.

Rev. Bleech_

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Buncha fuckin' rich olds with no chill retired to play golf and got really ornery about a grocery store and built their own grocery store with a wine and cheese bar. Wonder why the police aren't doing more to keep -minorities- away. Will be found dead on the country club toilet of a massive heart attack after enjoying a nice bowl of peas for dinner.

City of Glompton

bigfoot capital of the world, sometimes people disappear into the woods and never return, weed

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Quiet suburb, bored cops

teenagers smoke weed and do drugs for fun. Some get addicted to coke and meth and dont make it out

Lots of good nature and hiking areas around (also good for smoking weed)

Population has nearly tripled from 30,000 since i was born

Always feels really weird when I visit it after moving out

Big wide streets

It was a really nice place to grow up, and I look back on it fondly.

I cant afford to buy a house there.

Prof. Crocodile

this once noteworthy railroad town is occupied by 20,000 lost souls—lost even by Missouri standards--having neither grown nor shrunk since i left decades ago.

some really cool historic buildings

quaint old downtown not completely shuttered and abandoned

local artisans painstakingly produce methamphetamine from old family recipes, which is as good or better than anything you will get in the big cities. tell them prof crocodile sent you and they will probably accuse you of working with the reptilian illuminati and attack you with axe handles so on second thought maybe don't do that

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
the middle of nowhere, but it's in the heart of the Ozarks so that's kind of the point of living there. You need to have a middle of nowhere mindset to live in my hometown.

Rolling hills, ancient forests and more rivers than u can shake a stick at (stick shaking is not only a highly respected pastime here but also very competitive).

Just outside city limits is where you'll spend most evenings. Load up your vehicle with gas, friends, tunes, cold ones and as much Mexican ditch weed as u can smoke. It's time 2 go dirt roading.

The goal here is to try and get lost. It's a never-ending network of dirt roads that spiderwebs out into a wooded countryside. The milky way is so visible it outshines the moon on clear nights.

There are no cops or sheriff's deputies out here. Only country justice. Drunk ppl driving around at night is the name of the game so don't be precious about it. Have a natty light and chill out.

The Mark Twain National Forest is here, bordered by a giant uninhabited forest known as the Irish Wilderness. Local legends tell of an Irish priest who immigrated there with his Irish congregation just before the American Civil War broke out decades and decades ago. After the war ended some locals went out to check on the priest and his ppl, but they had vanished. All that remained was their ramshackle ghost town and a cemetery. My old man used to hunt raccoons out there in his youth and he once found a lone tombstone that simply read HERE LIES A FOOL. I'd love to hear the story behind that tombstone or at least see it for myself but we've looked for it out there and it is sadly lost to time and overgrowth of flora.

This life is not for everyone but in my heart I will always live there, perched in the boughs of a red oak and reading my favorite books.

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

nut

prepuce repurposed posted:

the middle of nowhere, but it's in the heart of the Ozarks so that's kind of the point of living there. You need to have a middle of nowhere mindset to live in my hometown.

Rolling hills, ancient forests and more rivers than u can shake a stick at (stick shaking is not only a highly respected pastime here but also very competitive).

Just outside city limits is where you'll spend most evenings. Load up your vehicle with gas, friends, tunes, cold ones and as much Mexican ditch weed as u can smoke. It's time 2 go dirt roading.

The goal here is to try and get lost. It's a never-ending network of dirt roads that spiderwebs out into a wooded countryside. The milky way is so visible it outshines the moon on clear nights.

There are no cops or sheriff's deputies out here. Only country justice. Drunk ppl driving around at night is the name of the game so don't be precious about it. Have a natty light and chill out.

The Mark Twain National Forest is here, bordered by a giant uninhabited forest known as the Irish Wilderness. Local legends tell of an Irish priest who immigrated there with his Irish congregation just before the American Civil War broke out decades and decades ago. After the war ended some locals went out to check on the priest and his ppl, but they had vanished. All that remained was their ramshackle ghost town and a cemetery. My old man used to hunt raccoons out there in his youth and he once found a lone tombstone that simply read HERE LIES A FOOL. I'd love to hear the story behind that tombstone or at least see it for myself but we've looked for it out there and it is sadly lost to time and overgrowth of flora.

This life is not for everyone but in my heart I will always live there, perched in the boughs of a red oak and reading my favorite books.

no ur crying

Areola Grande

:cry: now I'm homesick

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Nostalgic for things i've never experienced rn

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

There is no downtown because the middle of the city is the airport. My playground when I was a kid were the miles and miles of abandoned textile factories, but now they've all been bulldozed or turned into condominiums. The culture of ignorance is so powerful that any knowledge at all its worthy of scorn. The roads are based on ancient game trails and cattle paths and are labyrinthine and confusing. Motorists would often stop and ask directions from my teenage self and I would only give them directions that would lead them far away. When I wasn't finding bodies on the railroad tracks I was finding them in abandoned buildings. We could tell when the bodies were mafia-related because the police would lie and report that they had found a deceased animal. There was an old bridge abutment on the river that were did drugs under and contemplated the shipping carts that meandered in the shallows. There are multiple efforts to save the area, but it's been in decline for over a century and there are no signs of that decline happening. People ask me if I'll ever move back home and honestly I can't even imagine it.

Areola Grande

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

There is no downtown because the middle of the city is the airport. My playground when I was a kid were the miles and miles of abandoned textile factories, but now they've all been bulldozed or turned into condominiums. The culture of ignorance is so powerful that any knowledge at all its worthy of scorn. The roads are based on ancient game trails and cattle paths and are labyrinthine and confusing. Motorists would often stop and ask directions from my teenage self and I would only give them directions that would lead them far away. When I wasn't finding bodies on the railroad tracks I was finding them in abandoned buildings. We could tell when the bodies were mafia-related because the police would lie and report that they had found a deceased animal. There was an old bridge abutment on the river that were did drugs under and contemplated the shipping carts that meandered in the shallows. There are multiple efforts to save the area, but it's been in decline for over a century and there are no signs of that decline happening. People ask me if I'll ever move back home and honestly I can't even imagine it.

This is p much the opposite of mine. I've found my share of dead cows but I can't imagine finding a person. Your hometown sounds like Lud from the Dark Tower or smth

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

This is p much the opposite of mine. I've found my share of dead cows but I can't imagine finding a person. Your hometown sounds like Lud from the Dark Tower or smth

Your hometown > my hometown and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Areola Grande

:blush:

Areola Grande

bumping for visibility. I want more hometown stories 4 bedtime

Areola Grande

City of Glompton posted:

bigfoot capital of the world, sometimes people disappear into the woods and never return, weed

*pretends to cough* HUMBOLDT whew these allergies am I right whew

Areola Grande

Prof. Crocodile posted:

this once noteworthy railroad town is occupied by 20,000 lost souls—lost even by Missouri standards--having neither grown nor shrunk since i left decades ago.

some really cool historic buildings

quaint old downtown not completely shuttered and abandoned

local artisans painstakingly produce methamphetamine from old family recipes, which is as good or better than anything you will get in the big cities. tell them prof crocodile sent you and they will probably accuse you of working with the reptilian illuminati and attack you with axe handles so on second thought maybe don't do that

u described the downsides of my hometown perfectly so I talked about the chill part as a sequel 2 ur post.

I'm so homesick I would like 2 hear more about ur town pls

City of Glompton

u described the downsides of my hometown perfectly so I talked about the chill part as a sequel 2 ur post.

i want to hear about more towns too

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 29, 2020

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

The Mighty Moltres

Come! We must fly!

There is a mountain to the east.
And to the west.
The Rockies are in the south.
To the north, there is a lake.
Grab your poles and fish in it, then fire up the barbecue.
Grilled salmon is for dinner.

old friend

There is a rumor that the town is built on top of a secret nuclear waste dump... But I can count on all twelve of my fingers how many people actually believe it!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

My hometown is a special town. A boomtown 175 years ago, it's never quite recovered its first glory. First we moved cotton, then timber and turpentine, then we built ships, now they build airplanes. It's always on the verge of finally falling apart or finally really turning into something great. We fight ourselves too much ever really be a nice place, but we can come together to keep from falling apart. It's weathered many storms, hurricanes included, and it will weather many more. The best and the brightest all leave and go on to bigger things, but a few move back. It's not an all bad place to live-it's cheap and the fried seafood is the best anywhere. In August it's a wet, swampy hell but in February it's a glorious party of azaleas and parades. It has so many of the South's pleasantries and problems turned up to 11, but black and white, we're a proud people who think our town is unique and pretty exceptional. It's a place too wrapped up in it's past to focus on the present, much less the future, but folks there don't take life too heavily or too seriously and they like to have a party-it's the place's greatest strength and its greatest flaw. One of our native sons put it best,

quote:

“If, as a child, you saw, every Mardi Gras, the figure of Folly chasing Death around the broken column of Life, beating him on the back with a fool’s scepter from which dangled two gilded pig bladders, wouldn’t you see the world in different terms, too?”

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

These are both very good I like them and want to read the novels that come out of these posts.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

frump truck

hello... again!

my general county is definitely a Summer Zone. my hometown has 2 public beaches - one pretty nice, one not that great, but the next town over has several nice beaches about 5-10 min away.

nice town to grow up in, felt boring as a teenager, but nice to come back and visit as an adult. unfortunately, though, it's not a very diverse place at all. high property values and not many job opportunities outside of summer tourism means that it feels kind of like an aging place. growing up here, i felt like there was not much to do outside of summer and ocean-related things, but nowadays there are more international restaurants, breweries, etc. which makes it seem like much more of an interesting place than it used to be.

also a lot of great places to get seafood so that's cool.

frump truck

hello... again!

sata andagi posted:

my general county is definitely a Summer Zone. my hometown has 2 public beaches - one pretty nice, one not that great, but the next town over has several nice beaches about 5-10 min away.

nice town to grow up in, felt boring as a teenager, but nice to come back and visit as an adult. unfortunately, though, it's not a very diverse place at all. high property values and not many job opportunities outside of summer tourism means that it feels kind of like an aging place. growing up here, i felt like there was not much to do outside of summer and ocean-related things, but nowadays there are more international restaurants, breweries, etc. which makes it seem like much more of an interesting place than it used to be.

also a lot of great places to get seafood so that's cool.

there is also a really cool scenic hidden area that is just a bunch of big rocks on the shore where you can climb around and get nice views. teenagers also go there at night to smoke pot and hook up. i didn't do that because i wasn't a cool teenager :( but it's still a nice place to go to in the daytime

Prof. Crocodile

Prof. Crocodile hometown report the sequel:

i left my hometown when i was just a wee lad, but i do remember that it was a pretty good place to be a child, with a clean and respectable public pool, a few nice parks, and fruit trees that you can steal fruit from and nobody cares because hey you are just a kid. the roads aren't too busy and there are plenty of sports fields and open spaces, so you can run around aimlessly pretty much without risk.

winters can be brutal, and tornadoes are a serious threat for several months--you will experience at least one every year. summers are great because there are lots of people that make homemade hand-cranked ice cream, there are free fireworks shows, and on some nights in the country there are enough fireflys to read a book by.

there are plenty of good places to be a sportsman, and you will learn to shoot and fish while you are still in grade school, so i hope that's your bag. if not, try to keep an open mind because those skills may come in handy later in life.

there are some pretty great stories about the early days of the town that i can't share itt because i don't want to doxx myself, but suffice it to say that everything i posted in the "unique legal customs of missouri" thread comes directly from my own experience. *fires gun into air to commemorate melancholy feeling of nostalgia*

Spaced God

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tons of lily pretending to be rich white Italians. My house was about four blocks from Tony soprano's house and maybe two miles from the haunted mental asylum. There are four cops on duty at any time and their only task is racial profiling, and based on all the international studied that include my town, they're some of the best in the world.

Devil's hole was a nice lil swimming spot made by Dutch settlers that claimed a few too many kids so now you can't swim there. Instead you just get drunk in the woods by the community park.

The library has a big fossil in it that some boyscout found in the 60's and the whole town shut down so they could get a police escort to take the thing to the library.

The model shop in the middle of town that existed for like a century is now an upscale hipster coffee bar with $9 chicken sandwiches. The old nightclub Sinatra used to rub elbows with my grandad at is now a Russian orthodox Church. The haunted mental asylum is now condos. The town is gripped by a terminal case of lovely upper middle class suburbia. I was shunned by the four of five families who run the town for leaving and I don't regret it

Slumpy
the cool thing to do when you're in highschool is to hang outside the local super market and do nothing.

the cool thing to do when you're out of highschool is to move out and not get addicted to heroin

slumpy

Areola Grande

:drat:

Finger Prince

I haven't been back to my hometown in decades except maybe to pass through once or twice in the intervening years so I don't know how it's changed really, though last time I passed through there were an awful lot of shuttered up plazas. I have some friends not from there who moved to the area when they got all domesticated with kids etc., and they seem to think it's a pleasant enough town but then they didn't grow up there, and although I guess objectively it probably isn't unpleasant, subjectively I'd rather hang myself than move back there and if I was forced to I probably would within the year. Just the thought of it makes me die a little inside.
That's not to say I hate it, or hated growing up there. I don't hold any direct animosity towards it, it's just the kind of place where if you leave, if you get out, you never ever go back.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 30, 2020

FluffieDuckie

ugh

ok you asked for it

so you'll find my hometown in the middle of a big town. like some snooty guy said "i'm clearly too snooty to live in this giant city i must have my own" and someone went "of course, would you like this prime land around our only creek in the area?" and drew a circle in the middle of the map and a town was born :toot:

the benefit of having your own town with your own schools, police, and fire is that you can pour all your money into those things without any of that money going to other less important neighborhoods. also your police are on constant patrol but they know everyone in town so they know who to pull over. also if the big city that completely surrounds you or the state or whatever decides that it would be a great idea to bus the kids from the snooty neighborhood into schools in the surrounding town and vice versa, the entire town will show up and shout things until the authorities go away. you know. normal well adjusted person behavior

a very large proportion of students at the bomb rear end schools have parents who went to those same schools. so you know how you went to high school and there was the popular rich crowd and they were really mean to everyone? well these girls were professionally trained by generations of snooty parents. and high school is never over for them - they just continued with that behavior forever and trained their kids early so they could be in the right crowd.

the parents do charming things like start girl scout troops and don't open enrollment up they just get together with their friends and decide which girls are acceptable and which ones weren't. true story - my sister was best friends with one of the girls that came with one of those families. the mother came to our house to pick up her daughter and she asked my mom how my sister was taking it. my mother had no idea what she was talking about so the woman looked embarrassed and whispered "she didn't get into the brownie troop. i argued for her but i was outvoted".

the big social events are held at a nearby country club. to join the club you must be nominated by a member (again keeping the less important people out) but btw the wait list is 100 YEARS LONG so don't go buying new golf clubs anytime soon

my family moved there because dad got a job nearby and they picked where they were going to live based on where the "best schools" were. it was a horrible error and we're all pretty scarred.

(oh and there's no nature convo here bc it's in the middle of nothing and besides man made lakes there is nothing to do or see (besides host social events and scorn people i guess)

ugh lets never speak of this again

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Areola Grande

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

These are both very good I like them and want to read the novels that come out of these posts.

on the edge of the Irish Wilderness, way out in the woods is a secret place called Tupelo Gum Pond. I looked for it on and off for years but didn't ever locate it until I made a new friend who knew how to find it.

Dirt roads out there are sparsely marked by the Missouri Conservation Department with sometimes vague arrow signs pointing u towards various destinations. The trouble with navigating these signs is twofold however: number one, overgrowth often obscures or completely hides these old signposts. Number two, there's absolutely no cell signal in those parts, so even though it can be roughly located on Google maps, you will never get even close to it before your GPS signal dies. It's called wilderness for a reason.

if u don't have a local guide, chances are you'll never find it. that uninhabited forest is vast and many of its roads go nowhere. without a guide it's a guessing game at best.

why would anyone work that hard to find a remote pond? well, when my new friend Jerry finally showed me the route he explained the history behind it too.

Tupelo Gums aka Tupelo water trees are native to the state of Mississippi. They have no business in Oregon County, Missouri, yet there i finally beheld them. Missouri is a state nearly filled with walnut, various oaks, elm and maples. Blackjack and other worthless species are there too. We don't have rare trees except here at Tupelo.

As u can see the Tupelo Gum has a swollen trunk similar to cypresses found way down south. If u take home a sapling and try to grow it in your yard it will die. Apparently they require not only swamplands, but also nutrients which in Missouri are only found along the banks of this remote pond.

The truth is, this is no common pond but an ancient sinkhole. Because of the karst topography found in the Ozarks, caves are more common than anywhere else in North America. Rarely, this topography results in an ancient sinkhole like Tupelo.

In the seventies, miners arrived there in a private attempt to strip this place of the rare minerals that were rumored to be at the bottom, which must be the resource feeding these rare trees and the spotted salamanders, etc. which thrive deep underwater only in this special place.

Eventually the Missouri Conservation Department defeated them and the place was never mined out.

When u are lucky enough to find this place you'll hear a profound silence. Staring at these otherworldly trees and smoking a j with a new friend gave me a feeling of seeing something very special. Even if u never find this place again you'll never ever forget the way it feels.

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 30, 2020

Jaguars!

The Alsatian guard dogs in hte unmarked place that saws native wood into tabletops for some sort of sketchy export scheme barked at me.

I did not have to wait to cross the road out of town or the road next to the supermarket today but usually I do.

No nice looking ladies coming out of the laundromat today :smith:

I did not see the three hairy tabby cats or Nermal the little grey cat. But it seems that the neighbours have also got a grey cat now as well.

The masonic hall is now a hole in the ground, it took them about 3 days to rip it apart with diggers. When I was walking to work the other day a truck was grounded on the entrance to the supermarket loading dock and the anti-masons lifted up the back of the trailer to free it with a boom loader thing.

The Kowhai trees aren't flowering but theres a lot of birds around anyway because we hosed up our planet.

Imagine the houses from Once Were Warriors but nicer and you get the idea.

My childhood half hectare now has 6 houses on it, on monday I'm going there to set out another, turns out 30 pieces of silver to obliterate my childhood is my weeks wages. It was a great place to grow up but without the people there it's not really of much weight. Maybe I'll feel bad when the house gets demolished in 6-12 months but tbh I don't think I'll care for more than a minute or two. My guess my only regret is that future children won't be able to live near the estuary because the houses will be filled with retired boomers.

Twenty Four

This is really cool, and it is super interesting to hear how those trees survive there and why! It makes me wonder how they got there, so far away from where they usually are found! I mean I don't expect an answer, it's just one of those things that makes me daydream about the possibilities.

Areola Grande

Twenty Four posted:

This is really cool, and it is super interesting to hear how those trees survive there and why! It makes me wonder how they got there, so far away from where they usually are found! I mean I don't expect an answer, it's just one of those things that makes me daydream about the possibilities.

my best guess is birbs. nobody knows tbh

old friend

my home town doesn't exist any more. It was destroyed in a war

Areola Grande

old friend posted:

my home town doesn't exist any more. It was destroyed in a war

dag yo. tell us about it anyway?

Prof. Crocodile

lots of melancholia itt, but such is the lot of hometowns i reckon

Adbot