Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sivart13 posted:

I got to the hedge lab now and in retrospect the fact that there's juice boxes and whatnot in the branches make it more obvious you're supposed to go up there

The BURG.L waypoint I found to be quite useless though because if you just naively navigate to it from the ground you see a closed exit door. it would've been more helpful to just highlight the entire hedge on the map and say "the lab is somewhere in here"

but maybe I will better understand the game's logic when looking for subsequent things

The Burg.L waypoints are very general, but there was something I knew somehow (maybe a recording) that the hedge started on the end. The pond lab was imo the hardest to find and I'd kinda suggest a video if you get frustrated looking for the entrance, as the location was not where I would have suspected and the environmental clues are easy to miss due to murkiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

code:
When a creature that drops raw meat is killed with a spicy weapon, they will drop cooked meat instead of raw meat.
When a creature that drops raw meat is killed with a salty weapon, they will drop jerky instead of raw meat.
That's neat, reminds me of the heated knife in Subnautica. Although those weapon types being mid to late game kinda sucks.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Zachack posted:

The pond lab was imo the hardest to find and I'd kinda suggest a video if you get frustrated looking for the entrance, as the location was not where I would have suspected and the environmental clues are easy to miss due to murkiness.
I just got to the Pond Lab, mostly on my own which I'm pretty happy with.

I found both the entrances to the depths just by poking around in the pond, but it seems needlessly cruel that the part before the actual lab entrance doesn't have any air bubbles to keep you alive. I found my way by save-scumming but I dunno what you're supposed to do in multiplayer, just fill the zone with deceased teen backpacks till someone successfully wanders down the right tube? (I know there's a tantalizing Raw Science pointing you in the right direction but you really gotta commit!)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sivart13 posted:

I just got to the Pond Lab, mostly on my own which I'm pretty happy with.

I found both the entrances to the depths just by poking around in the pond, but it seems needlessly cruel that the part before the actual lab entrance doesn't have any air bubbles to keep you alive. I found my way by save-scumming but I dunno what you're supposed to do in multiplayer, just fill the zone with deceased teen backpacks till someone successfully wanders down the right tube? (I know there's a tantalizing Raw Science pointing you in the right direction but you really gotta commit!)
Apparently there are air pockets in the area but they're not well marked. If you make slow forays into the lower area you can get the bone diving helmet, though, and after that you're pretty much set. Really seems like they expect you to gear up gradually in the pond before hitting the lab.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

If you make slow forays into the lower area you can get the bone diving helmet
I thought about doing that but got impatient. As is typical in these survival games the best place to get materials for the bubble helmet is the place you need the bubble helmet to get to.

I brought some of the swim speed smoothies but missed making the Fin Flops because the recipe had unlocked a lot earlier and I forgot about it :sigh:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Multiplayer is trickier but if you're solo you can get all the bones you need around the T-Rex which has a source of oxygen right next to it, and you can make it with the gills and mutation if you use the jets. The annoying part was always the slime lamps but those got a big buff in duration.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sivart13 posted:

I thought about doing that but got impatient. As is typical in these survival games the best place to get materials for the bubble helmet is the place you need the bubble helmet to get to.
It's even worse than that here because the pond lab's rewards are things that would basically only be useful in the pond.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

If you are semi-confident in fighting the bell spiders, you get air after killing one. idk if you need to collect stuff from the body or not, I always just smash e when they're dying

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vib Rib posted:

It's even worse than that here because the pond lab's rewards are things that would basically only be useful in the pond.

On runs with new players I will straight up just make the barest minimum of diving gear and go grab the sunken key. That chest is probably the most disappointing thing in the game, literally only giving upgraded diving fins and underwater slime mold lanterns.

I was legit kinda mad when I unlocked it the first time after having already fully cleared the pond lab lol.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Epic High Five posted:

Multiplayer is trickier but if you're solo you can get all the bones you need around the T-Rex which has a source of oxygen right next to it, and you can make it with the gills and mutation if you use the jets. The annoying part was always the slime lamps but those got a big buff in duration.

If you space it out over a couple days, i think after something like 3? in game days stuff like bones and scales will respawn.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

On runs with new players I will straight up just make the barest minimum of diving gear and go grab the sunken key. That chest is probably the most disappointing thing in the game, literally only giving upgraded diving fins and underwater slime mold lanterns.

I was legit kinda mad when I unlocked it the first time after having already fully cleared the pond lab lol.

Yeah having the reward for learning the pond be stuff that would have helped explore the pond sucks. Guess it's easier the next time you need to re-up on bones or something, although doing upgrade instead of repair on the bone spear gets around that, too.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If you are semi-confident in fighting the bell spiders, you get air after killing one. idk if you need to collect stuff from the body or not, I always just smash e when they're dying

The water boatmen also often give air when you kill them, I think if you look at them from below you can tell if they're carrying some.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It felt like they had more planned for the water with a tier 3 that they just never implemented. Which I don't mind as the entire water section was mediocre at best and removed getting to play with all the fun toys.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My group is in all tier 2 now (mostly ladybug armor with a mosquito needle, crow crossbow, or other decent weapon) and wolf spiders still kick the poo poo out of us, even in a group.

We did survive our first orb weaver raid last night with only two of us. Not so long ago, a single orb weaver seemed impossible to solo.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I found axes to be the best weapon for killing wolf spiders, especially if you can get the perk as well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I found axes to be the best weapon for killing wolf spiders, especially if you can get the perk as well.

I fought one with the Insect Axe, but it seemed to be doing so little damage.

The needle also doesn't do a ton of damage, but it's quick, low-stamina, and the life steal is a nice little perk.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I had a spicy axe for spiders and mighty rusty spear for everything else. As is traditional in a lot of games, I accidentally picked the most busted option from the start just because it seemed interesting and the fact that as the host I felt it made the most sense for me to be the perfect parry shield tank thus meaning I was stuck with one handed weapons.

Though I think when I started the most OP stuff was poison builds, but that was nerfed by the time I got to the point where that was possible. With the weapon mutations changed the meta may have changed but if the defense calculations haven't I've got my doubts.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Random advice for people early on: you can make berry leather on the jerky rack at 1:1 instead of the 3:1 crafting at the station. Also you can spin spider web into silk rope at 1:1 on the spinning wheel.

Both berry leather and the rope felt like huge bottlenecks going from Tier 1 to Tier 2 until we realized we were burning a bunch manually crafting it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Epic High Five posted:

I had a spicy axe for spiders and mighty rusty spear for everything else. As is traditional in a lot of games, I accidentally picked the most busted option from the start just because it seemed interesting and the fact that as the host I felt it made the most sense for me to be the perfect parry shield tank thus meaning I was stuck with one handed weapons.

Insect Axe with a Spicy upgrade?

We have the smithing station but haven't done much with upgrades yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

Insect Axe with a Spicy upgrade?

We have the smithing station but haven't done much with upgrades yet.

The final tier of axe but generally yes, good for both regular and extra bad wolf spiders and maybe bees or something, not sure since everything else got the spear. Don't worry about elements or upgrading until you get the tier 3 stuff, before that it's just a cheap way to repair

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah having the reward for learning the pond be stuff that would have helped explore the pond sucks. Guess it's easier the next time you need to re-up on bones or something, although doing upgrade instead of repair on the bone spear gets around that, too.
I also didn't find any real use for bones/scales outside of crafting water-specific stuff. I guess I could've gotten the koi armor but other than that it was a short list of utility.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I also didn't find any real use for bones/scales outside of crafting water-specific stuff. I guess I could've gotten the koi armor but other than that it was a short list of utility.

We used the bone spear surround and overwhelm technique for most of the Black Ant Lab, so the guy who basically soloed the underwater stuff had to go get more bones at one point. Setting up a foothold in the upper yard now, and I think we still haven't activated the upgrades from the underwater chest.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
The 1.1 update is now live for all
https://twitter.com/GroundedTheGame/status/1600917663512858624
Reading the patch notes it's astounding to me how many QoL improvements there are.

Not just the new feature of base building pulling from chests/pallets, but the radius for item crafting to consume from chests has doubled, too.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Sivart13 posted:

The 1.1 update is now live for all
https://twitter.com/GroundedTheGame/status/1600917663512858624
Reading the patch notes it's astounding to me how many QoL improvements there are.

Not just the new feature of base building pulling from chests/pallets, but the radius for item crafting to consume from chests has doubled, too.

:hellyeah: Our group plays when my wife works, and this is her weekend. Top priority plans just went from tower building to actually getting to explore the upper yard to get everyone level 3 hammers.

Also we get to bring "the weapons chest" inside now that it can be flagged not to hot drop.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The extra hotbars absolutely change the game for me. I can put all of my situational gear (diving helmet, headlamp, gas mask, fin flops) on a hotbar and switch between them in a fraction of a second.

My group has been playing for a few weeks now, and I feel like we've barely explored a quarter of the yard. We just finished the second lab hedge maze and everything past that seems a bit daunting.

It hasn't really told us where to go next, but I assume there are labs in the pond and the black ant hill. No idea which of those is going to be more doable.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Holy crap, I wish I hadn’t already finished and burned out on the game because that sounds like a totally different game now. Not dropping crafted items on death alone is huge, and being able to respawn at field stations is the icing on the cake.

Maybe in a year I’ll give it another playthrough.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That's where my group is at. We are at the final few completionist items before finishing the game, and are interested in playing again on hard difficulty and will probably want to wait a while with the updates they are doing.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Just had a mantis boss display 4 player health (in our 4 player coop game) but actually had 1 player health. we were a little confused when it died so easily

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
3 months and counting now on the constant disconnect issue....

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

I've been looking into whether I should get this game. Learned that the map is not randomly generated, which makes me a bit concerned in terms of replayability... how big is the map compared to other games with pre-set maps, like ARK or Subnautica? Exploration is a huge part of enjoyment for me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I can assure you, you probably won't be replaying it when you're done. It is a pretty hefty sized map, but the length of the game means by the time you're done you'll just be putting it down, satisfied or otherwise.

IMO def better played multiplayer, even two people in a game makes it a lot easier to do a bunch of construction bits and fight bugs. I certainly burned out solo once I got to the upper yard, though I haven't played on the most recent patch so being able to use ziplines both ways would certainly help significantly with that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I enjoyed it immensely, would've probably enjoyed it even more if the 1.1 stuff was in at launch, and am very content to not touch it again until it hopefully gets DLC. It's very big and, if you play on Whoa!, exhausting at times

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Definitely hoping there's an eventual DLC that takes advantage of the map vertically, especially with the way ziplines can work now. The house seems like an obvious environment for more bug hunting as well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You enter the house and it switches over to Tinykin

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
get this new generation of teens into de_rats

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i built a tall rear end tower near the mysterious machine, just to be able to view surroundings better

are roofs necessary in this game? in valheim they are, but in grounded there appears to be no weather (huge missed opportunity imo) so can i have the top floor be a roofless observation deck? i see bees flying around and the tower is tall enough to be in close proximity to them. do i need to worry about them aggroing?

what's the deal with armor that makes you a "threat"? im wearing acorn armor but i havent noticed bugs to be any more aggressive.

does grass grow back after it's cut? i assume no.

is there concept of "structural integrity" when building? can a single wall support a massive structure over it?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

are roofs necessary in this game?
no. they arguably keep flying invaders out but then you gotta figure out a way up to the roof to fight them off. I never had any flying raids due to the place I built (also near the mysterious machine)

does grass grow back after it's cut? i assume no.
Definitely grows back if you just cut the top. There's conflicting info as to whether it grows back if you cut the stump. It definitely doesn't grow back if you build something over it (like a foundation), or perhaps every built item emits a certain "no growbacksies" radius.

is there concept of "structural integrity" when building? can a single wall support a massive structure over it?
There's a (non-default) mode where structural integrity matters, otherwise any element can hold an infinite amount of stuff up. You still probably have to be careful that you don't accidentally chuck a spear at the base of your mighty tower though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The Acorn Armor set bonus only matters in co-op, where other players might potentially take aggro. Aside from being a heavy armor though no it's bonus isn't helpful singeplayer.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Me and my friend just got the pond chip.

Do we need the bubble helmet to get to other areas (e.g. deeper caves) in the ponds? Or are we basically done with the underwater stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Do we need the bubble helmet to get to other areas (e.g. deeper caves) in the ponds? Or are we basically done with the underwater stuff?
theres a couple milk molars here and there where you would want to have it but 95% of the time I not keep it on my person