Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Game owns.

Some friends and I got this during the last steam sale and we're having an absolute blast. Probably the most fun we had in the last couple of years.

Game is surprisingly tough though,but we now got the hang of things.

For the first couple of days we built a big base on top of the baseball and extended that and built and leveled equipment.

Then we did hedge lab easy, went on to haze lab and got owned profoundly multiple times getting there, drowning and from underwater creatures, didn't even reach the lab.

So we got to pond lab, got us some sweet underwater gear and finished that lab.

Went back to haze lab, got to the infected ladybug easy but got massively, massively owned there.

So we hosed off, went to the picknick table and instead of going up there via shovel decided to build two massive scaffoldings to go up while being bombarded by angry bees and wolf spiders that we somehow managed to fight against each other as well. Insanely fun and rewarding.

Also those snoring bees are the cutest things ever :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Me and my friend just got the pond chip.

Do we need the bubble helmet to get to other areas (e.g. deeper caves) in the ponds? Or are we basically done with the underwater stuff?

Having the best underwater dagger you can make on you occasionally comes in handy in weird places but unless you're farming stuff in the underwater you don't need the helmet again. Something I didn't know until later re: underwater lab is that you can go back there and an item you collect in the last room will grow back muscle sprouts which make a good ingredient to smoothies.

ephex posted:

Also those snoring bees are the cutest things ever :3:

100% this

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fun fact: if you make the Spider Fang dagger you do not need to waste your time making a Bone Dagger, as the Spider Dagger is t2 and counts as a knife, letting you cut those underwater roots with it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

do sunken bones "grow back" too, or are they a one-time thing, i.e. gone once you collect them?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Considering how many there are to start can barely outfit one person, I assume they do reappear at some point. The koi scales do as well I believe

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yes, most things regenerate after a certain number of in-game days pass. Koi scales and sunken bones definitely do.

There are a few exceptions to this. The mints that show up in the "tic tac" containers never respawn, though other ones hidden in the world (like in antlion dens) can.

Some things only take an in-game day or two to respawn. Others (like toenails) can take up to an in-game week.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Anyone had a problem with achievements not unlocking? I've been playing with a friend (with her hosting), and we're in the endgame, and the only achievement that I've unlocked is for taking a picture in photo mode.

We have hunger/thirst disabled if that has something to do with it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Presto posted:

Anyone had a problem with achievements not unlocking? I've been playing with a friend (with her hosting), and we're in the endgame, and the only achievement that I've unlocked is for taking a picture in photo mode.

We have hunger/thirst disabled if that has something to do with it.

Achievements are disabled in creative or custom game modes unfortunately, sounds like the photo one may be an exception or oversight

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Me and my buddy reached the upper yard and frankly we're burned out. The game gets way too repetitive later on, especially since higher tier enemies are basically reskins of ones that exist earlier in the game, maybe with an extra ability thrown in. I think the only exception is the black ox beetle.

Environment design is fantastic but even that gets stale after a while once you figure out the "formula" of how to get around.

Oh, a cable! Probably need to walk up it to reach the next platform.

I wonder what's down this obscure tunnel? Probably a molar... yep, there it is.

Ahh, yet another cracked rock that can be blown up. Good thing we always carry explosives with us now!

Anyways, I think the Undershed is the pinnacle of the game (amazing atmosphere, things skittering in the dark making one's skin crawl, etc.), and it is where the story, such as it is, should have ended. If the devs do make a DLC, I hope it at least has brand new enemies (like roaches & centipedes).

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Epic High Five posted:

Achievements are disabled in creative or custom game modes unfortunately, sounds like the photo one may be an exception or oversight
Suddenly today in my single player game I got a whole slew of achievements all at once, including some for things I definitely have not achieved (but I did in our custom multiplayer game).

So, fuctifino.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Me and my buddy reached the upper yard and frankly we're burned out. The game gets way too repetitive later on, especially since higher tier enemies are basically reskins of ones that exist earlier in the game, maybe with an extra ability thrown in. I think the only exception is the black ox beetle.

Environment design is fantastic but even that gets stale after a while once you figure out the "formula" of how to get around.

Oh, a cable! Probably need to walk up it to reach the next platform.

I wonder what's down this obscure tunnel? Probably a molar... yep, there it is.

Ahh, yet another cracked rock that can be blown up. Good thing we always carry explosives with us now!

Anyways, I think the Undershed is the pinnacle of the game (amazing atmosphere, things skittering in the dark making one's skin crawl, etc.), and it is where the story, such as it is, should have ended. If the devs do make a DLC, I hope it at least has brand new enemies (like roaches & centipedes).

If you finished the undershed then I think you are almost done. Unless I'm forgetting something it's just a boss fight in an (sorta) easily accessible environment and one final tower defense. If you're playing coop I would set the difficulty to mild and just finish.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Just finished the game with a friend last night. Had a blast, though there are certain things that are easy to miss and I wish I had known earlier.

For instance, we went through 80% of the game having not analyzed a weed stem. The reason is that initially I was not the one to analyze held objects, so didn't even know it was possible, and my buddy was the one that analyzed the grass blade.

Also, not knowing how many tiers of weapons existed prevented us from using marble and quartzite, so in the end we had a horde that we never really used. As a result we didn't know that you can further specialize and upgrade after the 5th tier. We reasoned that a single upgrade provides so little boost it's better to just get the next tier.

Burgls quests were a bit nebulous as well. Went through 70% of the game with the Toad Swamp trail marker quest active. We thought toads were an enemy and that it must be in the upper right of the map, where the water was. The first swamp I never saw the Battletoad so as a result had no idea where the marker was. A bit frustrating when I eventually did find it only to discover just how far behind the quests we were.

The menus weren't great and I wish I could filter items. Or maybe I can and haven't figured it out.

Nitpicks aside, great game and the most fun I've had with the genre in years.

p.s. Wendell sucks.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

New update time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OH6IZ3Yf_8

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

A surprise mini patch hit, and now we have what looks like a massively bullshit boss to deal with.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
A wild patch appears https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/132661-public-test-patch-notes-for-update-130/

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm genuinely impressed by the amount of effort the devs have put into the game. And now they just add a full on "create your own game/adventure" mode? On top of a bunch of balance changes and bug fixes?

Wow.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa, been trying to see if my buddy and I can find time to finish the last boss lately, we had just gotten magic wands last we played. Wasn't expecting any new content after launch lol, looks like when we do get back to the game we will be farther from the end than before!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Some of those patch notes are game-changing, like tweaking weapon damage and increasing the efficacy of heals. Bandages seem actually worth using now!
I hope this gets fixes quickly and hits stable build, I'd love to jump back in but there's already hotfixes coming out.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Kit posted:

I'm genuinely impressed by the amount of effort the devs have put into the game. And now they just add a full on "create your own game/adventure" mode? On top of a bunch of balance changes and bug fixes?

Wow.

Eh, what the game actually needs is more content tbh, stuff like more zones (the inside of the shed seems to be the most obvious next area), more enemy types (not just reskins of existing enemies), more weapons/perks/etc., more materials to build stuff out of, things like that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Eh, what the game actually needs is more content tbh, stuff like more zones (the inside of the shed seems to be the most obvious next area), more enemy types (not just reskins of existing enemies), more weapons/perks/etc., more materials to build stuff out of, things like that.

I actually disagree. tbh the story as is and the gameplay loop are both extended a bit too long for a first playthrough, I've struggled to finish the game myself.

Maybe some more bug variety would help with that, but really just hitting the upper yard and finding out you gotta do the new tool loop again is kinda rough.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Kit posted:

I actually disagree. tbh the story as is and the gameplay loop are both extended a bit too long for a first playthrough, I've struggled to finish the game myself.

Maybe some more bug variety would help with that, but really just hitting the upper yard and finding out you gotta do the new tool loop again is kinda rough.

I also struggled to finish the game, but like you say, it was mostly because things got very repetitive.

There's also no rule that says you need to do the same tool loops with every zone. They could come up with a new type of loop for unlocking the next tier of tools/weapons.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I quit halfway through. 40 hours. Yay for getting my money's worth but the second I got to the upper yard and realized I had to do the whole game a second time while having boss fights I was done. If I had friends to play with it would be much different but as it stands, great game that vastly over stays its welcome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I would actively anti-recommend Grounded and Valheim if you're playing solo.

We liked getting to the upper yard and making our true mother base, complete with web networks to all the main areas.

We did play with a trainer making it so we only needed 1 of each building material because the amount they needed to build walls was just ridiculous and tedious and we ain't got the time. I think that should probably be the game default since nobody sane could ever build anything cool at default rates.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I need to do another playthrough. I think like 90% of my original playthrough was making insanely tall towers so we could have two-way zipline travel, and now that there's a two-way zipline I think it'll be basically a completely different game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I probably put in an extra 30 to 40% more time than my buddies playing in order to amass the resources to make the structure legitimately for our pond super Base for grounded. I enjoyed doing it there, couldn't say the same for Valheim.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I probably put in an extra 30 to 40% more time than my buddies playing in order to amass the resources to make the structure legitimately for our pond super Base for grounded. I enjoyed doing it there, couldn't say the same for Valheim.

I did that in Valheim with the same friend bc he has kids and I have free time. I vowed to never do it again because my free time is valuable too and shouldn't be wasted deluding myself earning resources by clicking longer is more worthwhile than using a program to make that number go up the same way. Obviously if you're having fun you're having fun, but I think there's a certain limit of that kind of activity for most people and it's good to bypass it to get to the fun and creative parts again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think my upper yard experience would've been a lot more fun if I hadn't played at launch and so had two-way ziplines, better balanced weapons, and all the QoL stuff. As is, I like hearing about this stuff because I'll be playing again with my buddies if a DLC launches, fresh save file. The upper yard was about exploration and seeing the new bosses and stuff, pretty much all my problems with it would've been solved if I could build half as many ziplines, or the same amount to twice as many places. Not many new enemies, sure, but plenty of new stuff. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, I had a great time and look forward to playing again some day.

Valheim is fun but I legit do not think I will ever play through it without some house rules on cheating stuff in. The grind is just unholy and it's unchanged from alpha.

edit - I don't know how it is now but especially back then I know a few people who underestimated how brutal the hard mode is because it doesn't seem like a game that'd have one that rough, and I count myself among them. Those ladybugs holy poo poo

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I quit halfway through. 40 hours.
I got right up to the end (the JavaMatic) and then stopped because i wanted to completionist some bullshit (the achievements?) and instead never started the game again

why do I always do this

now I have no idea how to play the game anymore

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i got to the widow on argh! or ultra hard mode or whatever they call it and oops shes a fuckin hit sponge that two shots you unless you perfect block about 40 times in a row. Ended up cheesing her with arrows, then got to the last base defesnse thing and bleh, no desire left to grind for it

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

valheim is legit one of the greatest wasted potentias out there. instead of capitalizing on the game's initial almost-viral popularity and going all in on chugging out content as fast as possible, devs decided to sit back, take their sweet time and spend over a year on each patch.

it could have been a legendary game honestly. instead it's all but forgotten now

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Back into this tonight with some buddies after finishing a game at launch and leaving it. Early game goes faster when you know the massive amount of everything you'll need, hard mode is a definite step up from medium though.
We attempted to use a different side of the oak tree/pond for our base, ended up having to push out onto a lily pad to avoid the bugs. Larger backpack size from the jump is a huge quality of life upgrade. Game still great!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Back into this tonight with some buddies after finishing a game at launch and leaving it. Early game goes faster when you know the massive amount of everything you'll need, hard mode is a definite step up from medium though.
We attempted to use a different side of the oak tree/pond for our base, ended up having to push out onto a lily pad to avoid the bugs. Larger backpack size from the jump is a huge quality of life upgrade. Game still great!

Man I found killing bugs a chore even on medium. Unless there's been some adjustments, I can't fathom how tedious stuff like a widow would be on hard.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Pander posted:

Man I found killing bugs a chore even on medium. Unless there's been some adjustments, I can't fathom how tedious stuff like a widow would be on hard.

From the wiki:
Player Damage: 0.80x
Creature Damage: 1.50x
Creature Health: 1.20x

You can definitely feel it. With all four players attacking our first lady bug with T1 weapons, probably took 3+ minutes and 15+ downs from getting one-shot. I doubt we will finish the game, but it was a satisfying challenge to get the first base up and get stable. My least prepared friend died of dehydration many times over our 3 hour session lol.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hard Mode MP fighting is rough unless you dedicate out roles like having a tank/kiter, ranged, and melee. Late game once you give someone the staves and perks it becomes pretty trivial to nuke them while someone block-tanks.

Hard Mode Solo requires massive amounts of cheesing early game with bows and traps and the like. Mid-to-late game is much easier if you can perfect block well.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2024

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
End game spoilers/rant:

What is with the big mixr defense event at the cocktail brewing? This whole game has been surviving bugs, exploring mysteries and set piece environments, a few boss events/arenas and now ive got a triple base defense event that I have to do? I gotta grind/bake so many mushrooms bricks for multilayer walls, setup traps out the yinyang, and I get about 25% into the brew before one of the mixrs breaka. So I spend the event murdering bugs the entire time, until a blackox beetle and a boss/purple ho bar lady bird show up. Mechanically not a big deal but a slog. But bugs at another mixr break through while I burn through those massive hp bars. I thought going through the moldorc base would reduce the spawn based on a line from Wendell but no. Despite a dead director bot there's just as many bugs.

So far this event is anti fun. It is a huge change in the established gameplay loop and I am spending way too much time building/prepping only for it to be ineffective. Maybe there is something else I'm meant to be doing, I dunno. I'm no slouch at combat and can solo the broodmother, but maybe it is my build?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

the entire third part of the game was rushed IMO. everything that comes after the shed is repetitive and lame

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Molybdenum posted:

End game spoilers/rant:

What is with the big mixr defense event at the cocktail brewing? This whole game has been surviving bugs, exploring mysteries and set piece environments, a few boss events/arenas and now ive got a triple base defense event that I have to do? I gotta grind/bake so many mushrooms bricks for multilayer walls, setup traps out the yinyang, and I get about 25% into the brew before one of the mixrs breaka. So I spend the event murdering bugs the entire time, until a blackox beetle and a boss/purple ho bar lady bird show up. Mechanically not a big deal but a slog. But bugs at another mixr break through while I burn through those massive hp bars. I thought going through the moldorc base would reduce the spawn based on a line from Wendell but no. Despite a dead director bot there's just as many bugs.

So far this event is anti fun. It is a huge change in the established gameplay loop and I am spending way too much time building/prepping only for it to be ineffective. Maybe there is something else I'm meant to be doing, I dunno. I'm no slouch at combat and can solo the broodmother, but maybe it is my build?

I overbuilt mushroom brick fortifications like you wouldn't believe.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
I thought they'd finished with Grounded but it looks like there's a final big patch on the way: https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/get-ready-to-flex-in-grounded-with-the-upcoming-fully-yoked-1-4-update

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

PraxxisParadoX posted:

I thought they'd finished with Grounded but it looks like there's a final big patch on the way: https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/get-ready-to-flex-in-grounded-with-the-upcoming-fully-yoked-1-4-update

Never would have thought they'd add even half of what's there. Going to have to fire up a remixed yard when it drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5u76lHxniI

https://grounded.obsidian.net/news/get-ready-to-flex-in-grounded-with-the-upcoming-fully-yoked-1-4-update

The ant queen stuff intrigues me.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 15, 2024