Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
any tips for Whoa! mode other than get good? trying to practice my blocking more but t1 poo poo kills pretty slow & adds are rough when everything 2-3 shots you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

any tips for Whoa! mode other than get good? trying to practice my blocking more but t1 poo poo kills pretty slow & adds are rough when everything 2-3 shots you.

Play smart, use a shield, peep them so you can see what they're weak to in your data page. Drag baddies so they hit a ladybug which can kill it. I don't play on that difficulty but everything got a lot easier when I just filled my inventory with pebblet spears and all combat became running around blocking until I had an opening to throw 5 spears at it then put my shield up and mash E to get them all back from its face while it goes HAM on the shield. Acorn armor is great early until you can get ladybug armor. There's other armors too I guess but I'll never not be a walking tank in any game. When you upgrade an item it repairs it fully so save your upgrades for that purpose on anything that requires hard to get stuff.

Really miss the super early mint mace from the beta lol. If you're playing on multiplayer but not hosting don't count on perfect blocks, the window is pretty generous but latency is what it is.

Drop mushrooms and wait a minute or two and you'll have plenty of weevils around for food and shield repairs.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friend and I trekked from our base at the Koi pond out to the sandbox last night, ran into some new enemies along the way which unlocked a bunch of new recipes and more goals to work towards. Definitely feeling a lot less squishy now with level 2 Ladybug armor and upgraded T2 weapons. We made red ant armor and went into the tunnels to find upgrade mats and found a ton plus more teeth for upgrade points. The world in this is so fun to explore with stuff to see everywhere and lots of attention to detail.

Edit: is there an ini tweak that increases the draw distance? Not talking about the blurry stuff in the distance but I see a lot of things popping into existence once you get close enough to it.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 3, 2022

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Vib Rib posted:

And then for the axe you need stinkbug parts? At what point am I supposed to be able to take those on? I thought I might need a better bow, but that requires wolf spider parts and I sure as hell don't feel ready for those. It might be easier with a gas mask, but you need stinkbug parts for that, so it feels like a closed loop, gotta kill a stinkbug to be able to kill a stinkbug. I know you can shortcut this with finding a stinkbug part in a spider sack, or just cheese a stinkbug by standing out of its range with a bow, but is that really how they expect you to do this?

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

secondary strategy for stinkbugs - if you wear full red ant armor you can move among them freely, and if you lure the stinkbugs that are near the red ant nest to the soldiers, the nest will kill them fast

90% of my Stinkbug kills are either pathing abuse with the sprig bow, or kiting to the anthill. Stinkbugs that aren't near the anthill get to live forever. The stinkgas heavily incentivizes either range or creative solutions.

Bombadiers are super easy to joust with the sprig bow as well. They have 3 attacks, the long range spit that only fires when you're a certain distance away, the long windup random AOE, and a simple bite. If you lunge in and then back out, you can freely plink its legs with arrows. Or if you're feeling up to it, circle strafing with arrows from long range is fine as long as you keep enough stamina to sprint when you see them start to spit. When you get the t2 axe you can just melee them with the same strategy as bow jousting and it'll be more effecient since they're one of the few enemies thats weak to specifically chopping.

I don't bother with ladybugs until after I've got the level Insect Hammer, that take the fight from a slog to managing to land 5 or so 3 hit combos with some parries/blocks along the way. Once you have lady bug armor you should be good to tackle spiders and various other nasties like mosquitos and bees.

You can also do an end around on the t2 weapons by going straight to the pond. With a pebble spear/pebble dagger and a gill tube/fins you can start getting bones and koi scales. Then you can get the bubble helmet and the t2 water weapons like the Bone Spear and Knife, which end up being really good stabbing/slashing weapons.

You can and probably should do all of this before going to the Hedge lab. It was terrifying, but slow even with 2 people with just ant armor and pebble gear, but t2 weapons would have made it a breeze.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 3, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Should I be scared of the Koi? I'm unsure if a koi fish would try to eat a small person if they were swimming around in the same pond so I've just tried to stay far the gently caress away from it. I assume with all of these advanced underwater weapons I'm unlocking that I might have to murderize this thing at some point?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's very easy to avoid it, until you forget where it was and then you're stricken with a primal lizard brain fear when it makes a sound behind you.

I'd recommend making a backup manual save if you're on single player and then seeing what happens.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Silly question but do I need to worry about buttressing stuff or can I build out wherever as long as some part of the floor is connecting to ground.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Silly question but do I need to worry about buttressing stuff or can I build out wherever as long as some part of the floor is connecting to ground.

Redundancy will help if and when you are ever attacked by bugs. This really matters for multi-level structures since if a single scaffolding is supporting your entire structure and it gets destroyed, everything else is destroyed.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Shabadu posted:

Redundancy will help if and when you are ever attacked by bugs. This really matters for multi-level structures since if a single scaffolding is supporting your entire structure and it gets destroyed, everything else is destroyed.

I gave this game a go much earlier in development and didn't get far enough to see anything in the way of base defence. Just how fragile is your base and how easy is it to keep it safe?

I don't mind destructibility per se but there has to be some pretty obvious counters so you can effectively render your base safe. A few traps sprung and the odd wall damaged after an attack are alright, but if a wolf spider can huff, puff and blow your house down that's less appealing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fwoderwick posted:

I gave this game a go much earlier in development and didn't get far enough to see anything in the way of base defence. Just how fragile is your base and how easy is it to keep it safe?

I don't mind destructibility per se but there has to be some pretty obvious counters so you can effectively render your base safe. A few traps sprung and the odd wall damaged after an attack are alright, but if a wolf spider can huff, puff and blow your house down that's less appealing.

You get waves of attacks occasionally by bugs who you've pissed off in the world (if you've ever gotten a message like "The Red Ants are Getting Annoyed...." that's it), and they will destroy your building if you're not defending. I was randomly building up a palisade wall yesterday just for extra precaution and was attacked by Orb Weavers (I think it was 2 with a Jr. or two for good measure) mid construction. Fortunately I had just completed enough of the wall that they were able to get stuck on the other side of it while my friend plinked away with a bow and I repaired the wall from the inside. I have no idea if wolf spiders are deterred by big walls because they can just jump where they want to go but you do actually need to put in a bit of effort with defenses or risk getting your poo poo torn down when they retaliate.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fwoderwick posted:

I'll admit most of my plan to keep my base safe is keeping it way off the ground or on a lilypad, but based on my forward bases and first big base the walls are plenty tough, but don't skimp on the roof or make them 3+ tall because if a big bad gets into your base the stuff in there is MUCH less durable and you can break it yourself with an inopportune swing. Biggest difference between now and earlier in the beta is that bugs can and will jump over your walls now, which made securing the base on my co-op save a matter of terrible urgency when it turned out we built it on a wolf spider game trail. If you see the grass moving, stop and crouch, they can't see through walls at the very least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Epic High Five posted:

I'll admit most of my plan to keep my base safe is keeping it way off the ground or on a lilypad, but based on my forward bases and first big base the walls are plenty tough, but don't skimp on the roof or make them 3+ tall because if a big bad gets into your base the stuff in there is MUCH less durable and you can break it yourself with an inopportune swing. Biggest difference between now and earlier in the beta is that bugs can and will jump over your walls now, which made securing the base on my co-op save a matter of terrible urgency when it turned out we built it on a wolf spider game trail. If you see the grass moving, stop and crouch, they can't see through walls at the very least.
I did play the very first public version of the game, some time back, and while I only put an hour or two in I distinctly remember bugs being able to just walk right through your walls. I think it turned out to be something like, when you turned away the models disappeared to prevent straining your GPU, but the hitboxes also disappeared, so your defenses only existed while you were looking at them.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for the info!

I would like to give it a go again now it's 1.0 but I remember playing The Forest and having a good time with it, then losing all interest when mob raiders reached a point where they'd easily destroy your base. It didn't feel like there was a huge amount you could do about it without dedicated a lot of effort to base layout.

On the plus side, Grounded has an actually interesting premise and art style which is a draw in itself. Can't really say that for The Forest.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fwoderwick posted:

I would like to give it a go again now it's 1.0 but I remember playing The Forest and having a good time with it, then losing all interest when mob raiders reached a point where they'd easily destroy your base. It didn't feel like there was a huge amount you could do about it without dedicated a lot of effort to base layout.

It hasn't really gotten to that point, tbh I think in the ~20 hours I've spent with it that spider attack I mentioned was maybe the third attack of that type and the first one that was actually difficult. But it is an option you can disable on your server entirely so you can just play without it if it's a dealbreaker for you.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I only played EA back in Feb, enough to get through the 3rd lab, but this was before bug counterattacks and raids were a thing. So i'm kinda learning along side everyone.

My trips into the Hedge Lab were enough to get Orb Weavers angry enough to attack a couple days later. I was in no way ready to fight 3 orb weavers so I kinda let them do their thing.

Later on I learned that any bug attack will stop when they've destroyed 25% of your total structures, but what consistutes the encompassing of your "base" is not really clear to me yet. I had set up a stairway at the baseball and they were happy to destroy the bottom couple stair pieces and wall/scaffold before bailing. Only a few other crafting structures were destroyed, sadly my drying rack and dew collector, which were set up near the starting science dome well apart from the main baseball structure.

I am thinking that the number one defense is going to be limiting the type of bug that can even get to you, the Lilypad or Baseball should prevent all ground insects from even reaching you. Although I think that means if you trigger an attack there they'll just hang out indefinitely? I have no idea if these events have time limit outside of the total base %. The secondary defense is probably going to be layers of ablative grass half walls. Figure if 90% of your base is grass half walls, they're going to be satisfied just destroying that instead of your crafting stations or second floor.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My main base is on top the lamp by the tree, but there's an elaborate scaffold system of platforms and stairs to get me up that high so lol. The first stair is supporting 70 other pieces.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shabadu posted:

I only played EA back in Feb, enough to get through the 3rd lab, but this was before bug counterattacks and raids were a thing. So i'm kinda learning along side everyone.

My trips into the Hedge Lab were enough to get Orb Weavers angry enough to attack a couple days later. I was in no way ready to fight 3 orb weavers so I kinda let them do their thing.

Later on I learned that any bug attack will stop when they've destroyed 25% of your total structures, but what consistutes the encompassing of your "base" is not really clear to me yet. I had set up a stairway at the baseball and they were happy to destroy the bottom couple stair pieces and wall/scaffold before bailing. Only a few other crafting structures were destroyed, sadly my drying rack and dew collector, which were set up near the starting science dome well apart from the main baseball structure.

I am thinking that the number one defense is going to be limiting the type of bug that can even get to you, the Lilypad or Baseball should prevent all ground insects from even reaching you. Although I think that means if you trigger an attack there they'll just hang out indefinitely? I have no idea if these events have time limit outside of the total base %. The secondary defense is probably going to be layers of ablative grass half walls. Figure if 90% of your base is grass half walls, they're going to be satisfied just destroying that instead of your crafting stations or second floor.

Maybe instead of alternating palisade and mushroom walls I should set up a perimeter of ablative workbenches since those will definitely count as base structures

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Shabadu posted:

90% of my Stinkbug kills are either pathing abuse with the sprig bow, or kiting to the anthill. Stinkbugs that aren't near the anthill get to live forever. The stinkgas heavily incentivizes either range or creative solutions.

Bombadiers are super easy to joust with the sprig bow as well. They have 3 attacks, the long range spit that only fires when you're a certain distance away, the long windup random AOE, and a simple bite. If you lunge in and then back out, you can freely plink its legs with arrows. Or if you're feeling up to it, circle strafing with arrows from long range is fine as long as you keep enough stamina to sprint when you see them start to spit. When you get the t2 axe you can just melee them with the same strategy as bow jousting and it'll be more effecient since they're one of the few enemies thats weak to specifically chopping.

I don't bother with ladybugs until after I've got the level Insect Hammer, that take the fight from a slog to managing to land 5 or so 3 hit combos with some parries/blocks along the way. Once you have lady bug armor you should be good to tackle spiders and various other nasties like mosquitos and bees.

You can also do an end around on the t2 weapons by going straight to the pond. With a pebble spear/pebble dagger and a gill tube/fins you can start getting bones and koi scales. Then you can get the bubble helmet and the t2 water weapons like the Bone Spear and Knife, which end up being really good stabbing/slashing weapons.

You can and probably should do all of this before going to the Hedge lab. It was terrifying, but slow even with 2 people with just ant armor and pebble gear, but t2 weapons would have made it a breeze.

This is good poo poo.

I got some ant armor thanks to a stinkbug wiping out like 10 of them, then I immediately made for the hedge, big mistake. Didn't have any spare water, god drat tiny spiders all over the place, my only torch fizzled out. Spent the last 2 days doing corpse runs, I'm going to get my poo poo and just retreat for now and follow these tips.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I put my base here by the Oak Tree and it's never, ever been attacked.

My coop partner had to bail for a couple weeks so I'm working my way through solo. Lot harder without a second person to grab aggro and give you some breather room, but with the healing from smoothies and food and stuff it's doable.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Apparently each save has certain spawns for bugs that are somewhat randomized. In my seed, just to the east of the can next to the wood wall has a Stinkbug and an Orb Weaver in close proximity. I also get a Wolf spider patrol that comes down onto the stone verge of the koi pond, but stops before it comes close to the juice box. So your various safe spots might not be safe for others!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Little disappointed I didn't find a queen in the red ant hill . if there is one somewhere don't tell me

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol we went to the ant hill last night for the first time with the ant armor on (because we just figured that out now) and the first quartz-like object I saw I instinctively snatched up on sight. It was an ant egg sac and the entire anthill turned on me instantly. That was a fun run straight out of that tunnel :v:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Killed my first orb jr and now I find out I gotta kill a wolf spider for fangs and stuff? Dohhhhh

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

Lol we went to the ant hill last night for the first time with the ant armor on (because we just figured that out now) and the first quartz-like object I saw I instinctively snatched up on sight. It was an ant egg sac and the entire anthill turned on me instantly. That was a fun run straight out of that tunnel :v:

Were there ants nearby when that happened? I took an egg when alone deeper into the cave and they kept ignoring me when I ran into them again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Krowley posted:

Were there ants nearby when that happened? I took an egg when alone deeper into the cave and they kept ignoring me when I ran into them again.

Yeah I was surrounded by ants when I picked it up

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

Yeah I was surrounded by ants when I picked it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tempted to pick this up again. I put in about 50 hours in the very early access phase and really enjoyed the exploration and gameplay. When I ran out of content and hit the point where the only thing left to do was build, it fizzled. Collecting materials was way tedious, and the material loss on deconstruction was frustrating.

I still remember vividly getting ambushed by a spider at night and screaming aloud, though. And the sense of anxiety and determination when preparing to take on a wolf spider. Good stuff.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Koi Pond trip report: there's still barely enough bones reachable with just a gill tube to make a helmet, and although I thought there were enough in the store room cache next to the lab, I was mistaken. Turns out there was only 1, but there are enough silk ropes and various other underwater materials to craft the gear with.

I don't know if they've tweaked numbers ince earlier this year, but I remember it being barely possible to enter the lab and fix all the breakers with just a gill tube, but it was really tight. At the very least you can get to the lab breaker switch and set your respawn at the bed there and just suicide run to the breakers.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Trying to get into the black anthill - do I really have to kill every single one of these loving ants? I have t2 weapons and armor as upgraded as I can get them and killing black ants is just a slog. The red ant armor doesn't work to make you a friend, on black ants.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sipher posted:

Trying to get into the black anthill - do I really have to kill every single one of these loving ants? I have t2 weapons and armor as upgraded as I can get them and killing black ants is just a slog. The red ant armor doesn't work to make you a friend, on black ants.

Use the quickness and stamina mutations and just sprint everywhere. you can usually catch your breath before the soldiers can attack, and then keep running. they usually don't follow you into lab sections. The boss can be pretty tough if you're unlucky, so make sure you have healing stuff ready so you don't waste the trip.

-

I played the gently caress out of this around the mushroom update, and started a new save for the full release, and just finished the game.

I love it so much. The story got loving dark though.

final mission spoiler:

I failed hard a few times, and plugged every hole the bugs could get in through, on my final run the nodes barely got hit.

they got to my final wall on 2 of the entrances. The only damage done was by ants that jumped off the cliff.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 4, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sipher posted:

Does the Black Ant armor make you a friend to the black ants? (legit don't know yet but posing it as a question in case you've tried it)

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Powershift posted:

Use the quickness and stamina mutations and just sprint everywhere. you can usually catch your breath before the soldiers can attack, and then keep running. they usually don't follow you into lab sections. The boss can be pretty tough if you're unlucky, so make sure you have healing stuff ready so you don't waste the trip.

Thanks, this made it easy. There's way less soldier ants in there than I expected, I guess I just ran into the first couple and was expecting the same density as the red anthill.

And no, black ant armor doesn't do the same thing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This has been a pretty great spot. Easy access to a lot of materials in the area and fairly out of the way apart from the occasional spider visit. It's definitely a hike to go over to the sandbox though, now that we're starting to reach out further from home.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh one cool thing i figured out is that since you can relocate your built items with no penalty, you can just carry pallets full of grass/weeds back to yoour base, build the structures and then carry the empty pallet back to where you were harvesting.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Soonmot posted:

Oh one cool thing i figured out is that since you can relocate your built items with no penalty, you can just carry pallets full of grass/weeds back to yoour base, build the structures and then carry the empty pallet back to where you were harvesting.

Yes! My friends and I just did this last night on our shared server. Was very convenient to be able to relocate all of the chests full of stuff rather than having to completely rebuild and inventory carry everything.

I think we determined you can go about 100 cm per relocate, although if you get attacked by a bug it will mess it up

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Soonmot posted:

Yeah this is the way to do it for sure. Take your stem pallet out and fill it up, then move it back home when it's full. The problems come from when you get kicked out of relocate mode because something aggroed you on the way so I usually plop it down every once in a while if I'm moving it a long way to avoid losing it in the grass or having to run all the way back to start the relocate again. It was also nice migrating things from our first makeshift home over to our better home (pictured above) free of charge and without having to rebuild a bunch of poo poo.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
What determines how bugs heal?

It seems like sometimes if we let the bug get slightly away from us, it resets its health bar entirely. We had a stinkbug down to a sliver of life and then it just is full again.

What Big Bug should we be going for with Tier 1 weapons? Their health bars are such a slog.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mr. Grapes! posted:

What determines how bugs heal?

It seems like sometimes if we let the bug get slightly away from us, it resets its health bar entirely. We had a stinkbug down to a sliver of life and then it just is full again.

What Big Bug should we be going for with Tier 1 weapons? Their health bars are such a slog.

kill red ants for a red ant club, which is a t2 weapon

other t2 weapons outclass it because it's two-handed and it's untyped so you don't get weakness bonuses but it's killer early

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I am still using that club. It does take a while to get used to because you run out of stamina quickly and need to be on point with blocking but it's a fantastic weapon. Being able to stun fairly regularly is awesome; it's like three free whacks and grounds flying bugs.

What the hell am I supposed to do with a pet? They seem to constantly get stuck on geometry and I couldn't figure out how to equip the adorable little hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

explosivo posted:

Yeah I am still using that club. It does take a while to get used to because you run out of stamina quickly and need to be on point with blocking but it's a fantastic weapon. Being able to stun fairly regularly is awesome; it's like three free whacks and grounds flying bugs.

What the hell am I supposed to do with a pet? They seem to constantly get stuck on geometry and I couldn't figure out how to equip the adorable little hat

you can build a pethouse to keep them at home, iirc. they'll get unhappier but you can feed them more or give them the spoiled thing to counteract that.

no idea on the spoiled thing, i've never bothered using a pet