Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Some bastard orb weaver has been lurking near my base at the machine. I was setting up a mushroom garden when I got the aggro notice, turned around and he was right on top of me. I actually screamed, panicked, and jumped into the inside of the machine. Turns out spiders can fit through those little holes on the side of the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DogsInSpace! posted:

Now I wonder what it was... I was so busy try to duck and weave around grass and on anything I could to escape the spider. I saw grasshopper like legs and I thought a bit of wing. I'll come across it again and I like surprises.

Yeah I thought the same with those little doorways at the base. "I'll be safe and poke him with my speak and <chomp>"I guess if you had Arachnaphobia this really would be the most frightening game imaginable. Poor goons. Maybe they will make a flamethrower weapon DLC.

The stinkbugs look pretty grasshopperish from a distance, too.

This morning I decided I couldn't live my life in fear of spiders, so I decided to melee the orb weaver hanging out by the laser east of the machine. I used a spiky sprig, and it was actually not bad. They hiss and rear back for a second before striking, which makes them pretty easy to perfect block. The terror factor is definitely worse than the fighting itself.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you leave the raw meat on the ground overnight, it also won't spoil, then you can cook it in the morning. Jerky rack makes everything so much simpler, though.

I set up my second base in the flower garden across the pond from the oak lab entrance. Basically zero bugs (it sounds like some food bugs do spawn, but get trapped in the rocks), the safest spot on the map I've found. Resources are limited, but there's nectar all over so you don't ever have to worry about food or water. You can swim across the pond for daily quests. The only problem is that the oak lab always seems to have a damned wolf spider in front of it! Finally got fed up with it, and...

I just killed my first wolf spider! Mint hammer, full ladybug armor, 2 green machines, and 4 bandages. Took 4 reloads to finally get it, their attack animation is hard to parse, and you don't get much room for error.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe they'll be friendly!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone else have their dew collectors stop working? I think the patch broke them.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, acorns have stopped respawning in my game too. The anthill has broken down and produces no eggs, most of the worker ants seem to have disappeared from the world.

Also, word of advice, don't take down quest markers after you've built them, you can't complete the quest again if you do. You'll still be given the quest, it just won't be something you can finish. It annoyed me having those markers up (I preferred only having markers on my bases), so I'd melee down the markers after building them. You can only build them once, though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Torrent posted:

Oh, thank goodness. The cave in Spade Gulch has a room where the floor is literally carpeted wall-to-wall with larva. I guess that happened when I surrounded my base with spike traps. I'm just glad to know it's not SUPPOSED to be like that.

Now to figure out how to kill that many of the bastards...

Man, when I went down there, I didn't break the quartzite wall without looking through the gaps, and I could see this... seething mass. I figured it was some hellworld best left alone, something out of In The Mouth of Madness.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had stopped playing for the past few weeks, but I'll have to check out the new patch content. Weeds respawning and fixes to the insects getting trapped in rocks/under the world were much needed. I had spent a while building a pretty nice home base area, but I had stripped the surrounding land of weeds for quite a distance, and hauling in additional building materials was getting to be a pain in the rear end.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I got a good several hours out of the new content. I haven't seen the bird yet, but the bugs clipping into the ground has been entirely resolved. The ants are fixed, the perks and mutations are cool, and some of the new locations are quite interesting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GamingHyena posted:

Edit: Also, does it seem like the game has more spiders now with the latest patch? I remember the area on the ground where you enter the shrub maze being safe but I jumped down for something routine right into the jaws of a wolf spider. It seems like there are more wolf spiders around (or they move around more) than before.

I just picked this back up to check out the new pond content. Wolf spiders seem about the same to me. In my experience, each one has a like a home spot where they spend most of their time resting. During the day, they're typically idle in these spots, but if they hear you or something triggers them, they'll rouse and start looking around. Once you get to know the spots, they're relatively easy to avoid. There's one on the eastern wall of the map in the marshy area, one in the west near the cassette tape, one on the corner of the house by the shrub, etc. The one I encounter most often is by the Oak Lab, I think he lives in that hollow under the tree. It's always on my way out of the lab, I guess he'll hear me go in then move over by the entrance to bother me.

Did you ever end taking out a ladybug? They're way easier than wolf spiders, and ought to be pretty doable with the ant club.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tempted to pick this up again. I put in about 50 hours in the very early access phase and really enjoyed the exploration and gameplay. When I ran out of content and hit the point where the only thing left to do was build, it fizzled. Collecting materials was way tedious, and the material loss on deconstruction was frustrating.

I still remember vividly getting ambushed by a spider at night and screaming aloud, though. And the sense of anxiety and determination when preparing to take on a wolf spider. Good stuff.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
God drat I just want an acorn shell, but these mosquitos are conspiring to stop me.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I don't think these two things should be in conflicting zones.

I’m in tier 1/brand new character gear, so I was trying to get to the oak without fighting or encountering anything dangerous. In EA, there used to be a safe route, but now there’s a cluster of mosquitos blocking the end of that route, sadly. I could probably slip by them, but they caught me off guard and proved to be a lot tougher to fight than I had anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Evil Kit posted:

It kind of sounds like you're going the most roundabout way.

I’m set up by the anthill (seemed the logical place to start gearing up) so the route was there to the etch a sketch to the soda can, which is where the mosquitos hang out. The space between the tree and pond used to be pretty much insect free. My early access base was in the flower garden west of the pond, with a bridge across the pond to the tree, so I think it was more the unpleasant surprise of finding mosquitos in what was formerly a safe zone that I found off putting. Think I’m going to see if filling them full of arrows is a good idea tonight.