Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Welcome to the second annual SA Ultimate Board Game Draft!

What is this?

Inspired by this article, the participants are going to draft board games into a hypothetical collection like fantasy sports. This won't exactly be the same as a top-15 list from each participant because they have to consider their placement and wheeling potential.
We had a draft last year which you can find here. It was a good time; I encourage you to check it out!

What are the rules?

- The draft will be in Snake/Rotisserie format. The first 3 rounds of picks will take the order:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- Each participant will draft 10 total games, so 140 total titles will be selected.

- Titles will be selected one at a time. For example, Participant A will select a title, then Participant B will select a title, and so forth. Participant A will not submit a list of 10 titles immediately offhand.

- Each title can only be selected once.

- Each title must be selected for the purposes of only playing that game. For example, if you draft Cockroach Poker it must be on the merits of playing only Cockroach Poker, not its ability to proxy Skull easily as well. Likewise, don't say 'a deck of playing cards'; you must choose a specific game like Spades and you are limited to only that game with its materials.

- I am considering each title to encompass all versions and expansions. In addition, each pick encompasses everything in that game’s family. Games count as belonging to a family if BoardGameGeek can trace a re-implemented line between games. Notable examples from last draft: Civilization, Advanced Civilization, Mega Civilization, and Western Empires all count as a single entry. Brass Lancashire, Brass Birmingham, and Age of Industry are a single entry. All standalone Battlecon titles are a single entry. Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy are a single entry. Nanty Narking and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork are a single entry. This isn’t a comprehensive list, just a few examples.

- The only 18xx games eligible to draft here are 1830, 1846, and 1889. I asked around, and the answer that makes the most sense to me is that most games are derivative of one of those three games. This is a can of worms that I am not interested in opening as I am confident that enthusiasts can argue me under the table. I gently ask that you understand my desire to smooth this over proactively to get the event started.

- The title must be released. It can be relentlessly out of print, but it cannot currently be in preorder or kickstarter status.

- Every odd round (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) will have a theme that you must adhere to when making your pick that round. In addition, the theme for each themed round will only be known by the previous round. When the draft starts, drafters will know the theme for round 1. When round 1 finishes and round 2 starts, the theme for the 3rd round will be revealed. At the end of the draft, each participant will select one game from their picks to represent each theme. 5 distinct games will need to be selected; a game cannot be selected for two themes. For example, suppose the theme for round 1 is Worker Placement. Round 1 I draft Dominant Species; round 2 I draft Caylus. Although I drafted Caylus in the dedicated theme round, I could choose to present Dominant Species as my representative for Worker Placement at the end of the draft. The player at the end of the round normally gets to make two selections back to back. They can continue to do this on odd rounds heading into even rounds, but if they want to wait for me to announce the next theme. Regardless, the draft will pause after that player makes their pick until the theme is announced.

- The winner of the draft will be determined by a participant only vote over three categories: Best Overall Collection, Appeals to Widest Range of Tastes, and Best Collective Nominees for Draft Themed Rounds. The scores for each category will be evaluated, and then weighted. Each category will have the same weight on the total score. For Themed Rounds, participants will submit their list of game representatives at the end of the draft, before voting.

:siren: What is different this time? :siren:

Most of you have probably done some sort of draft. I wanted to refine and mix things up this year.

Clarification on Game Families – I was overall happy with the idea to condense picks into families of games rather than unique entries. However, there were some cases where I feel I fumbled as an arbiter. To try and cut off the corner cases, I am expanding this rule to also define games as belonging to a family if BoardGameGeek can trace a re-implemented line between games. Notable examples from last draft: Civilization, Advanced Civilization, Mega Civilization, and Western Empires all count as a single entry. Brass Lancashire, Brass Birmingham, and Age of Industry are a single entry. All standalone Battlecon titles are a single entry. Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy are a single entry. Nanty Narking and Discworld: Ankh-Morpork are a single entry. This isn’t a comprehensive list, just a few examples.

18xx – The elephant in the room with the above is the 18xx system of games. I have not played any, and I am not reading rule books to figure out what is and is not redundant. My clumsy way of dealing with this is the following: the only 18xx games eligible to draft here are 1830, 1846, and 1889. I asked around, and the answer that makes the most sense to me is that most games are derivative of one of those three games. This is a can of worms that I am not interested in opening as I am confident that enthusiasts can argue me under the table. I gently ask that you understand my desire to smooth this over proactively to get the event started.

Themed Rounds – Most drafts allow you to pick whatever you want. I want to add some tension and encourage participants to draft titles they like but otherwise may not take with limited picks. Every even numbered round (2, 4, 6, 8, 10) will continue to be freeform. Every odd round (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) will have a theme that you must adhere to when making your pick that round. In addition, the theme for each themed round will only be known by the previous round. When the draft starts, drafters will know the theme for round 1. When round 1 finishes and round 2 starts, the theme for the 3rd round will be revealed. At the end of the draft, each participant will select one game from their picks to represent each theme. 5 distinct games will need to be selected; a game cannot be selected for two themes. For example, suppose the theme for round 1 is Worker Placement. Round 1 I draft Caylus; round 2 I draft Dominant Species. Although I drafted Caylus in the dedicated theme round, I could choose to present Dominant Species as my representative for Worker Placement at the end of the draft.

Upfront Win Conditions – Last year I didn’t have a good idea of how to evaluate the draft when it began. I settled on a hidden goal system with weighted categories so that drafters could be true to themselves. While I still encourage that rather than trying to game epoints, this year I want to make the weighted categories known from the start. They are: Best Overall Collection, Appeals to Widest Range of Tastes, and Best Collective Nominees for Draft Themed Rounds. The participants will vote secretly among themselves for each of the three categories. The person who performs the best across all 3 wins!

What is the initial draft order

1. rchandra
2. ketchup vs catsup
3. silvergoose
4. Dancer
5. nimby
6. blackmongoose
7. Memnaelar
8. casnorf
9. DogCop
10. PseudoScorpion
11. Jedit
12. Bottom Liner
13. Chill la Chill
14. Doctor Spaceman

Last Notes

- I would ask that you try to make your picks at least within 10 hours of being your turn. We have 140 picks to run through, so this could take a while. You are all over the globe with real lives, so I understand that things come up, but I do want this to finish at a reasonable clip.

- You do not need to own, or even have actually played, any game that you draft. Obviously it helps if you've at least played it, but absolutely feel free to expand beyond your physical collection.

- I would also encourage comments, analysis, and heckling from both fellow participants and other spectators.

- If you join the we can chat and ping you when its your turn. You also get exclusive access to weekly postings of cute and friendly animals.

- We're working on the honor system here. I reserve the right to make an executive decision with regards to omitting picks, removing inactive participants, or anything else that falls into a gray area.

- If you have a question about any possible pick, feel free to message me. It's my job to clear up questions and misunderstandings. I wrote the rules myself, and I am totally willing to admit there are technical gaps somewhere.

- Because I want to have chatter in this thread, make your picks by posting in the following format:
code:
[b]Round X: Pick Y[/b]
[i] Title [/i]
- Comments if added

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

rchandra
Dominion
Spirit Island - Games Released During Or After 2016
Codenames - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Age of Steam
Sekigahara - The Unification of Japan
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Backgammon - Games That Implement Dice
The Crew
Titan - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking

ketchup vs catsup
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Gloomhaven
Automobile - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game
The Voyages of Marco Polo - Games That Implement Dice
Forbidden Stars
Battlestar Galactica - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Android: Netrunner
Barrage - Games Released During Or After 2016
Russian Railroads

silvergoose
Napoleon's Triumph - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Through the Ages
Poker - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Hansa Teutonica
Riichi Mahjong - Games That Implement Dice
Bridge
War of the Ring 2E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Guns of Gettysburg
Wind the Film - Games Released During Or After 2016
Shogi

Dancer
Food Chain Magnate - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Galaxy Trucker
The Estates
Wir sind das Volk!
John Company - Games That Implement Dice
Bus - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game 2E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Santorini
Via Nebula - Games Released During Or After 2016
Quantum

nimby
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Dungeon Petz
Colosseum - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Mage Knight
Kemet - Games That Implement Dice
Vinhos
Star Wars Rebellion - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Chaos in the Old World
Terraforming Mars - Games Released During Or After 2016
Zendo

blackmongoose
1830 - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Brass: Birmingham
Chicago Express - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Concordia
Twice as Clever - Games That Implement Dice
Kanban
Star Wars Armada - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Tragedy Looper
Great Western Trail - Games Released During Or After 2016
Maria

Memnaelar
Argent: The Consortium - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Gaia Project
Madeira - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Underwater Cities
Cthulhu Wars - Games That Implement Dice
Space Alert
A Study in Emerald 1E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Archipelago
Millennium Blades - Games Released During Or After 2016
Glen More II

casnorf
Cosmic Encounter - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Pandemic Legacy
Mythic Battles: Pantheon - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Acquire
Liar's Dice - Games That Implement Dice
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Crusader Kings - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
PARKS
Rising Sun - Games Released During Or After 2016
Hive

DogCop
Pax Pamir 2E
Container
Indonesia
Root - Games That Implement Dice
Crokinole
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Bridges of Shangri-La - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town - Games Released During Or After 2016
A Fake Artist Goes to New York - Games That Can Play 6 Players

PseudoScorpion
Keyflower - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Twilight Struggle
Lords of Vegas - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Dune - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Roll for the Galaxy - Games That Implement Dice
Caylus
Batman Love Letter
Glory to Rome
Blue Lagoon - Games Released During Or After 2016
Cribbage

Jedit
Roads & Boats
Orleans
London 2E
A Feast for Odin
Island Project - Games That Implement Dice
Mysterium - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Armata Strigoi - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
The Gallerist
Smartphone Inc - Games Released During Or After 2016
Fast Sloths - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking

Bottom Liner
Dominant Species - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Antiquity
Through the Desert - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Inis
Command and Color: Ancients - Games That Implement Dice
Agricola
Marvel Champions: The Card Game - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Tigris & Euprates
Nokosu Dice - Games Released During Or After 2016
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

Chill la Chill
Mega Civilization - Games That Can Play 6 Players
The Great Zimbabwe
Neuland - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Modern Art
Troyes - Games That Implement Dice
Chinatown
Robotech Force of Arms - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Reef Encounter
I don't wanna leave kotatsu - Games Released During Or After 2016
Go

Doctor Spaceman
Zombicide - Games That Can Play 6 Players
El Grande
Northern Pacific - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed - Games That Implement Dice
Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill (LotR LCG) - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Consulting Detective (Sherlock Holmes)
Kingdomino - Games Released During Or After 2016
San Juan

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Round 1 will represent the first themed round.

The theme is Games that can play 6 Players.

Note that it doesn't have to play six players well, just able to play 6 players. Player count is defined as the maximum number listed on the BoardGameGeek listing. If an expansion allows adds components for a 6th player, like Petrichor for example, then it is legal. If two copies of a game are required to expand the player count to 6, then it does not count (can't think of an example off the top of my head). If the rules themselves list it as a variant, then the BGG listing is wrong. Battlecon is technically a 1-5 player game because of the variants, but you can't convince me anyone has ever played a 5 player game of Battlecon. Even in the community tab player next to the best at count under the BGG player count, it shows 2+ rather than 2 (reference Sekigahara). Therefore, I accept that BGG's listing should be 2-8 players which again is alluded to in the 2+ count.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or DM me in Discord.

Next Year Favor List:
StashAugustine
Gutter Owl
Tekopo
Aramoro
Infinitum

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 31, 2020

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Round 1: Theme - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Round 2:
Round 3: Theme - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Round 4:
Round 5: Theme - Games That Implement Dice
Round 6:
Round 7: Theme - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Round 8:
Round 9: Theme - Games Released During Or After 2016
Round 10:

code:
1	rchandra		Dominion
2	ketchup vs catsup	Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant
3	silvergoose		Napoleon's Triumph
4	Dancer			Food Chain Magnate
5	nimby			Twilight Imperium 4th Edition
6	blackmongoose		1830
7	Memnaelar		Argent: The Consortium
8	casnorf			Cosmic Encounter
9	DogCop			1889
10	PseudoScorpion		Keyflower	
11	Jedit			Roads & Boats
12	Bottom Liner		Dominant Species
13	Chill la Chill		Mega Civilization
14	Doctor Spaceman		Zombicide
15	Doctor Spaceman		El Grande
16	Chill la Chill		The Great Zimbabwe
17	Bottom Liner		Antiquity
18	Jedit			Orleans
19	PseudoScorpion		Twilight Struggle
20	DogCop			Pax Pamir 2E
21	casnorf			Pandemic: Legacy
22	Memnaelar		Gaia Project
23	blackmongoose		Brass: Birmingham
24	nimby			Dungeon Petz
25	Dancer			Galaxy Trucker
26	silvergoose		Through the Ages
27	ketchup vs catsup	Gloomhaven
28	rchandra		Spirit Island
29	rchandra		1846
30	ketchup vs catsup	Automobile
31	silvergoose		Poker
32	Dancer			The Estates
33	nimby			Colosseum
34	blackmongoose		Chicago Express
35	Memnaelar		Madeira
36	casnorf			Mythic Battles: Pantheon
37	DogCop			Container
38	PseudoScorpion		Lords of Vegas
39	Jedit			London 2E
40	Bottom Liner		Through the Desert
41	Chill la Chill		Neuland
42	Doctor Spaceman		Northern Pacific
43	Doctor Spaceman		Dungeon Lords
44	Chill la Chill		Modern Art
45	Bottom Liner		Inis
46	Jedit			A Feast for Odin
47	PseudoScorpion		Dune
48	DogCop			Indonesia
49	casnorf			Acquire
50	Memnaelar		Underwater Cities
51	blackmongoose		Concordia
52	nimby			Mage Knight
53	Dancer			Wir sind das Volk!
54	silvergoose		Hansa Teutonica
55	ketchup vs catsup	Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game
56	rchandra		Codenames
57	rchandra		Age of Steam
58	ketchup vs catsup	The Voyages of Marco Polo
59	silvergoose		Riichi Mahjong
60	Dancer			John Company
61	nimby			Kemet
62	blackmongoose		Twice as Clever
63	Memnaelar		Cthulhu Wars
64	casnorf			Liar's Dice
65	DogCop			Root
66	PseudoScorpion		Roll for the Galaxy
67	Jedit			Island Project
68	Bottom Liner		Command and Color: Ancients
69	Chill la Chill		Troyes
70	Doctor Spaceman		Outfoxed
71	Doctor Spaceman		Ra
72	Chill la Chill		Chinatown
73	Bottom Liner		Agricola
74	Jedit			Mysterium
75	PseudoScorpion		Caylus
76	DogCop			Crokinole
77	casnorf			Star Wars: Imperial Assult
78	Memnaelar		Space Alert
79	blackmongoose		Kanban
80	nimby			Vinhos
81	Dancer			Bus
82	silvergoose		Bridge
83	ketchup vs catsup	Forbidden Stars
84	rchandra		Sekigahara - the Unification of Japan
85	rchandra		Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
86	ketchup vs catsup	Battlestar Galactica
87	silvergoose		War of the Ring 2E
88	Dancer			A Game of Thrones: The Board Game 2E
89	nimby			Star Wars Rebellion
90	blackmongoose		Star Wars Armada
91	Memnaelar		A Study in Emerald 1E
92	casnorf			Crusader Kings
93	DogCop			Batman Love Letter
94	PseudoScorpion		Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
95	Jedit			Armata Strigoi
96	Bottom Liner		Marvel Champions: The Card Game
97	Chill la Chill		Robotech Force of Arms
98	Doctor Spaceman		Over Hill and Under Hill
99	Doctor Spaceman		Consulting Detective
100	Chill la Chill		Reef Encounter
101	Bottom Liner		Tigris & Euprates
102	Jedit			The Gallerist
103	PseudoScorpion		Glory to Rome
104	DogCop			Bridges of Shangri-La
105	casnorf			PARKS
106	Memnaelar		Archipelago
107	blackmongoose		Tragedy Looper
108	nimby			Chaos in the Old World
109	Dancer			Santorini
110	silvergoose		Guns of Gettysburg
111	ketchup vs catsup	Anrdroid: Netrunner
112	rchandra		Backgammon
113	rchandra		The Crew
114	ketchup vs catsup	Barrage
115	silvergoose		Wind the Film
116	Dancer			Via Nebula
117	nimby			Terraforming Mars
118	blackmongoose		Great Western Trail
119	Memnaelar		Millennium Blades
120	casnorf			Rising Sun
121	DogCop			Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town
122	PseudoScorpion		Blue Lagoon
123	Jedit			Smartphone Inc
124	Bottom Liner		Nokosu Dice
125	Chill la Chill		I don’t wanna leave kotatsu
126	Doctor Spaceman		Kingdomino
127	Doctor Spaceman		San Juan
128	Chill la Chill		Go
129	Bottom Liner		Tash Kalar Arena of Legends
130	Jedit			Fast Sloths
131	PseudoScorpion		Cribbage
132	DogCop			A Fake Artist Goes to New York
133	casnorf			Hive
134	Memnaelar		Glen More II
135	blackmongoose		Maria
136	nimby			Zendo
137	Dancer			Quantum
138	silvergoose		Shogi
139	ketchup vs catsup	Russian Railroads
140	rchandra		Titan
Up Next: Vote!

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Dancer
May 23, 2011
gently caress me up fam.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

In

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm up for drafting all the generic MWE's again. Though if you need the space for new/better blood you can definitely give my seat to someone elsd.!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gently caress it, I'll jump in to do the opposite of that

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

To be clear, sign up if you are interested and can commit to regularly checking over the next week or two. Even if you're a second timer.

If we reach past 12 interested people, then I will ask some second timers to sit out. But let's get to 12 first before crossing that bridge.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'd like to join. rchandra in the discord also.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’m here to take all the good games

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am here to defeat my nemesis

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'd like to play.

Poorly, doubtlessly, but play all the same. :)

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
AS REIGNING CHAMPION I would defend my title

(but only if chill makes it in too so I can hate draft)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I'd like to play.

Poorly, doubtlessly, but play all the same. :)

Glad to have you!

You can't have worst taste than me, so you're already in the green. I forget if you're in the discord, but come chat if not!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I haven't written an essay on why no one else in the draft appreciates really good games in a while. Put me back in, coach.

Round 2 is going to murder me.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I want in to win the popular vote for the second year in a row

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Shadow225 posted:

Glad to have you!

You can't have worst taste than me, so you're already in the green. I forget if you're in the discord, but come chat if not!

I clicked on the Discord link but it says it expired? Memnaelar#8813 is my handle there though. :)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Looking at the format, I'd like to make a suggestion?

Combining the serpentine with even theme rounds makes for a very uneven experience depending on queue position. Like, if you're in position 12/15, you're shafted on picking up the hotly contested stuff like Splotters or Vlaada, and the usual compensation you get (the wheel pick) comes with a pair of handcuffs.

I think you'll get a more interesting draft with 2/3 theme picks. So like:

Free
Theme
Theme
Free
Theme
Theme
Free
etc

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I see the concern.

On immediate thought, I think switching the themed rounds from even to odd would address that. You still have handcuffs when the round switches over, but it should be better balanced by the earlier picks being able to pick stronger multi purpose games by leading off with the constraints.

I'll mull it over and have a decision tomorrow, with plans to start draft on Friday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We full yet? I'm down if there's still a slot and dude over there is still married.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Sure, Why Not? Sign me up.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
It looks like we're over 12 already? I'll put my name in anyway, maybe we can run 2 simultaneous drafts if we get 24 people

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, this isn't first come first serve. Definitely throw your name in the hat if you are interested. I want to be cognizant of those unable to check posts immediately when I posted.

I will give preference to new participants until we get 50% on each side. If there is enough interest, I am not opposed to shifting to 16 people/10 rounds. The difference of 16 picks shouldn't be too drastic, considering that 160 picks is still much lower than the 224 last year. For the time being, I am still planning on 12 people/12 rounds. I'll ask second timers to sit out, probably by RNG at this point, once I feel confident that everyone who would be interested has a chance to express interest.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In if there's a spot~

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'll take a spot if there is one and will pick Zendo first round, no regrets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm keen.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
You wanna see games what people actually like but won't admit to liking? Put yer ol pal fishbo-er, casnorf in yon draft. Plus you get lots of bonus arguing it'll be great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I am happy to provide some objective truths about boardgames.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Expecting a lot of back room deals about this draft, I’m sure of it. Dogcop isn’t going to let go of his title so easily.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, let's talk.

The easy part:
I have decided to shift the themed rounds to the odd rounds rather than the even rounds. I think that this would address the concerns GO brought up without making the draft 2/3 themed rounds. Even if it doesn't, we're still rolling with it. I still want to reveal the themes in the round previous, so we may have some hiccups with the end drafter in each round. I will leave the decision up to them between waiting for me to announce my theme before they make their double up pick, or making their two picks without waiting for me. Regardless, the draft will pause after they pick until I announce the theme. I'll try to be as quick as possible, just understand that I may be sleeping or taking care of other life duties.

The hard part:
We have 18 interested parties, with an even split between first and second time participants. The options I have are sticking with 12 people/12 rounds, going 14/10, going 16/10, or going 18/8. If all 18 parties were on the same continent, I would consider that more heavily. As it is, I would prefer we not to have to juggle that many people across the globe. Last year we did 16/14. The first half of the draft I remember being snappy while the second half dragged a bit. While I feel a bit weird about having less participants than last year, I want to trust my gut feeling on making this a holistically enjoyable experience. So, I will be limiting to 14 people.

The hardest part:
This means I need to make 4 cuts. There are 9 people in each camp, so two people can be removed from each and have a 50% new participant ratio. I assigned everyone a number by sign up order, rolled a 10 sided die twice for each group, with 10 meaning I roll again. For the second year crew, I rolled 6 and 9 (nice). For the new participants, I rolled 2 and 9. Therefore, unless other people want to give up their spots to these people I have to begrudgingly ask them not to participate this year: Gutter Owl, Tekopo, StashAugustine, and Aramoro. The other 14 of you that expressed interest are in unless you decide to donate your spot. I'll let the rest of the day be used to figure out if someone wants to donate their spot. Whoever does not get in, whether from the rolls or donation, will be guaranteed a spot next year.

I will adjust the OPs to reflect these changes.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 30, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh I see how it is, take out the two heavyweights to make it easier for the rest of the field
:thunk:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait for the "ironic" Zendo first-picks and the "ironic" Zendo votes from the pro-Tek coalition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Nothing ironic about it when you’re paid hard cash for your vote 😈

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Holy poo poo go and tek were two of my most feared draftmates

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Goose is going to sneak into first while Donk and I squabble about the good games. Which means...

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Oh I see how it is, take out the two heavyweights to make it easier for the rest of the field
:thunk:

lets just make our own draft

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, let's get the show on the road.

Here is the draft order:

1 rchandra
2 ketchup vs catsup
3 silvergoose
4 Dancer
5 nimby
6 blackmongoose
7 Memnaelar
8 casnorf
9 DogCop
10 PseudoScorpion
11 Jedit
12 Bottom Liner
13 Chill la Chill
14 Doctor Spaceman

Doctor Spaceman, let me know at some point if you want me to announce round 3 theme before you make your second pick. Otherwise, feel free to make them both simultaneously.

Round 1 will represent the first themed round.

The theme is Games that can play 6 Players.

Note that it doesn't have to play six players well, just able to play 6 players. Player count is defined as the maximum number listed on the BoardGameGeek listing. If an expansion allows adds components for a 6th player, like Petrichor for example, then it is legal. If two copies of a game are required to expand the player count to 6, then it does not count (can't think of an example off the top of my head). If the rules themselves list it as a variant, then the BGG listing is wrong. Battlecon is technically a 1-5 player game because of the variants, but you can't convince me anyone has ever played a 5 player game of Battlecon. Even in the community tab player next to the best at count under the BGG player count, it shows 2+ rather than 2 (reference Sekigahara). Therefore, I accept that BGG's listing should be 2-8 players which again is alluded to in the 2+ count.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me here or DM me in Discord.

rchandra you're on the clock

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Round 1: Pick 1
Dominion
I can sense I'll need a real 6p game later. Dominion is an excellent 2-3p game! When you have the expansions allowing 6, you also can play 2 3p games instead. Such a variety of expansions, yet in any given game you only need to understand the 10-12 items in that game. The original deckbuilder, never surpassed.