Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Round 10 Pick 3

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

It's Go, but with DRAGONS and FANTASY. It's also Vlaada. Vlaada is good.

No swaps because I picked correctly the first time.

Games That Can Play 6 Players: Dominant Species
Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking: Through the Desert
Games That Implement Dice: Commands and Colors: Ancients
Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties: Marvel Champions
Games Released During Or After 2016: Nokosu Dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Round 10 - Pick 4
Fast Sloths

This was not an easy pick. Going through the list of games I realised that I'd earlier been mistaken and nobody had, in fact, taken Legendary. If I hadn't made that error then I would almost certainly have taken a combo of LE: Alien/Predator for my thematic game. However, it's a bit late now and I'm satisfied with my pick for that round anyway. My draft lacks a deckbuilder, but it's got a co-op and it's got games with solo modes so I'm covered for anything else LE can provide.

So I'm sticking with what I'd decided would be my pick when I thought that LE had gone: Friedemann Friese's race game Fast Sloths, which fills several niches that I didn't have. It's lightweight but strategic, and it's heavily interactive in more ways than just blocking opportunities. It was very popular wherever I took it and it's high on my list of games to get to the table when face to face meets are possible again.

I'm making a couple of changes to my theme picks:

Games That Can Play 6 Players: Mysterium
Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking: Fast Sloths (rank 2470)
Games That Implement Dice: Island Project
Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties: Armata Strigoi
Games Released During Or After 2016: Smartphone Inc

Unthemed: Roads & Boats, Orleans, London 2E, A Feast For Odin and The Gallerist

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Round 10 Pick 5
Cribbage

Had to get a tradgame in before the end and with riichi gone, cribbage is next. It's a surprisingly deep, tricky game that plays great at two and pretty good at 3 or 4. Worth trying out if you own a deck of cards!

Only one swap for me, one that should be of no surprise to anyone:
Games That Can Play 6 Players: Keyflower
Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking: Lords of Vegas
Games That Implement Dice: Roll for the Galaxy
Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties: Dune
Games Released During Or After 2016: Blue Lagoon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still can't believe Jedit was the one to take roads and boats smh

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 10 Pick 6
A Fake Artist Goes to New York

Continuing my theme of Japanese games about professionals going to population centers we have the best social deduction game around. My draft has been stilted toward the heavier economic titles I enjoy but on the occasion that you have a larger group looking to play something light and quick I can't think of a better game to pull out than Fake Artist. I've yet to see the game fizzle with any group; in fact conversely it's a safe bet there will be laughter within a minute of starting when someone adds wheels to a cat and acts like it's totally normal. Really the only way to get more fun out of a smaller box is for that box to contain drugs.

No meme can be funnier than the game itself so instead here's a very good portrait of a frog

For theme breakdown:
6 Players: A Fake Artist Goes to New York
Outside of the Top 300: The Bridges of Shangri-La
Dice: Root
Licensed Property: Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
During Or After 2016: Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Round 10, Pick 7
Hive

A goon gave this to me in a secret santa a few years back. Somehow it had entirely slipped under my radar. Chess had gotten stale in high school, and while I adore Go you can only lose by a zillion stones so many times before you just want something that you've got a prayer at. The less said about the brick wall that is Shogi, the better. I gave Hive a try. Then I tried it some more. And then some more. Nowadays, Hive and one other game occupy a permanent space in my board game duffel; If I'm bringing anything then those two are going. Hell, sometimes I take Hive in my laptop bag. I don't know what stronger endorsement I can give. It's quick, it's a simple teach, and a game is over before you've finished your beer. Well, unless you're two-fisting like you're early at a Sunday afternoon bobblehead day. I use Hive as a litmus to see if someone is gonna be into slightly deeper waters, and I like getting surprised by new players who aren't afraid to try something because even if it doesn't work the whole game was ten minutes. The single most common thing I hear when I bring out Hive is, "Wanna play again?"

I ain't changin' a single thing about my category picks. Never second-guess. DINGERS

friends? i got plenty: Cosmic Encounter
not hiveminded: Mythic Battles: Pantheon
live by the die: Liar's Dice
i don't know what original means: Crusader Kings
gimme that old time rock and roll: Rising Sun

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Last pick of the draft for Memnaelar means it's time for Glen More II: Chronicles.

(SCOTCH NOT INCLUDED)

I needed a game that runs a little bit more short as I have a lot of LOOOONG games, I needed a game that played with some sort of geometry/tile placement as I'm terrible with those and need practice, I needed a game that has that awesome time mechanic where players can line up multiple turns if others get greedy and over-reach for a selection they really need, and I also love interesting end-game scoring that requires a player to diversify instead of just relying on a single abused mechanic.

Glen More II has all of that. The original is a classic and anyone who complains about the sequel losing something from the original is wrong. The clan board gives players room to diversify and create some needed asymmetry. The loss of fiddling with roads on tiles when you already have the river mechanic is ultimately trivial. Because the endgame scoring compares collection of assets and the distance between the lead player and the last-place player in each type of asset, you have to really watch what other players are going for and that helps make downtime a bit more interesting.

And the game includes a MILLION "chronicles" for varying up the gameplay. Some fuddy-duddies complain that they're unnecessary because the classic gameplay is so strong. SO DON'T USE THEM. You can enjoy a nice short classic game. But you can use these individual modules in whatever combination to tailor a game more to your liking, creating more interaction, a race, a new commodity -- you name it.

Glen More II is an excellent update on a classic from one of the hobby's greatest designers and gives you a whole lot of game in a very short timeframe (without modules). It's a happy addition that rounds out my draft and collection.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Oh, and all my picks stand as is for theme rounds. I pick once and pick well!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Round 10, Pick 9
Maria https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40354/maria
An amazingly good light wargame that you don't have to be an extreme grognard to appreciate. It rewards proper management of resources and over committing to win a battle is often far worse than accepting a minor loss which leads to interesting decisions for every battle. Plus it plays 3 perfectly which is quite rare for a wargame. It's good enough that I strongly considered subbing it in to my games rated >300 slot since it's just over the cut at 309 but changing theme picks is for cowards.

I will keep all theme picks as my representatives for their slots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I still can't believe Jedit was the one to take roads and boats smh

Nobody could prevent my usurpation, I'm not married.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Round 10: Pick 10
Zendo

This is more a pick to round out my selection, but it's also a giant "gently caress you" to everyone that says they have a game with infinite replayability. Well, you are wrong, because not only does Zendo have almost infinite rules, it also does not require to actually use the components in the box. You can play it with stones, sticks, cards, emoji, painting, meeples, you can literally play it anywhere you want. That is true flexibility. And that's why Zendo deserves to be in my list.

(my picks for the theme rounds are my selection for the themes, no switcheroos needed)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nimby posted:

Zendo

https://i.imgur.com/QCK5x5D.mp4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MORON KONFLIKT!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

loving...Zendo...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nimby posted:

Zendo

The alpha and the omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nimby ended as he began, a grave disappointment

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Shadow225 posted:

You have to have expectations in order to be disappointed.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Hard to see his start as a disappointment in a draft where someone 1st-rounded Cosmic...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

TI is just overly long and convoluted CE, change my mind

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

TI is just overly long and convoluted CE, change my mind

TI is just overly long and convoluted Eclipse, if Eclipse had a baby with Master of Orion: the Board Game. (Which is actually a card game.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair TI came before Eclipse, right

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair TI came before Eclipse, right

That is both accurate and needlessly pedantic.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Do you like space 4x games?
Do you wish Twilight Imperium was shorter and had more battles?
Do you like your research choices to actually be impactful?
Do you like your ships to be chunky?
DO YOU LIKE FUCKIN' CUBES?

Then do I have the streamlined tactical masterpiece for you!

Quantum!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I know that Quantum has several features that people here don't like. It suffers massively from turn order effects, which I always make clear to everyone at the table ("Your primary duty is to make sure the person after you in the turn order doesn't win"), and sometimes an individual battle can swing the game. But other than that I love just how massively streamlined it is, while presenting an interesting optimisation puzzle every turn. There are usually between 2 and 4 "obvious" moves, and you need to figure out which one is best. I like the big chunky dice, and I like that it has a clock. No-one can ever lose a point, everyone just inexorably climbs the score track until one person manages to break through with the final point. No game has ever lasted more than an hour.

Plus, you know, it sparks joy.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 11, 2020

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Let it be known that I will refuse to cast any votes for the cowards that have not changed their name into something Zendo related on Discord.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dancer posted:

Let it be known that I will refuse to cast any votes for the cowards that have not changed their name into something Zendo related on Discord.

There's a Discord?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Jedit posted:

There's a Discord?

Not when I type.

I thought about taking Quantum. It's beautiful and elegant and the only reason I didn't do an effortpost on it is that it's got some bad runaway leader I haven't really taken the time to try and mitigate. I took the time to goo gone every single one of my dice in the box so when I do pull it out I get to use the awesome frosted translucent ones instead of the later opaque ones.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Jedit posted:

TI is just overly long and convoluted Eclipse,

by the transitive property cosmic is a short and straightforward eclipse

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Round 10, Pick 12

Shogi

This brings me to having four of my five games rated 10 on BGG in my draft. It's the best chess. It's *not* the best 2p abstract, but it might be my favorite, because I'll never feel even remotely passable at Go, but Shogi I intuitively get the tactics.

It's good. It's crazyhouse chess where you build your own castle instead of a stupid move king two spaces bullshit.

gently caress moving picks, I'll keep mine as is.

6p NT I will never ever ever turn down a game of this at any even player count up to 8.
Outside 300 Poker is (I'm wildly speculating) the game on bgg played the most at any given time.
Dice Riichi WELP THIS CATEGORY SUCKS I HATE DICE GAMES APPARENTLY
Licensed WotR THIS ONE DOES TOO BECAUSE IF I HAD ANOTHER ONE I COULD SWAP THIS INTO DICE
Recent Wind The Film! is great no regrets

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Not when I type.

I thought about taking Quantum. It's beautiful and elegant and the only reason I didn't do an effortpost on it is that it's got some bad runaway leader I haven't really taken the time to try and mitigate. I took the time to goo gone every single one of my dice in the box so when I do pull it out I get to use the awesome frosted translucent ones instead of the later opaque ones.

This is like the exact opposite of what I have. Quantum has some pretty strong rubber bands. If someone reaches n-1 points then the person ahead of them in turn order will just constantly be blocking. They are then slightly screwed, but they usually gain dominance at a steady pace and almost always get a chance at a comeback.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

While we wait for the final two picks, here is how scoring worked last year and thus this year.

With that in mind, here is what I decided upon. You will each vote for each other in three weighted categories: Best Overall Collection - 50%, Best Collective Nominees for Draft Themed Rounds - 25%, Appeals to Widest Range of Tastes - 25%. In addition, you will be using a ranked voting procedure where you vote for your top 3 choices in each category. Your rank one choice will receive three points in that category, rank two will receive two points, and rank three will receive one point. Each player will have their three category scores totaled, weighted, and summed to achieve their final score. Here is a small example: Player A received 10 points in Best Collection, 20 points in Thematic Collection, and 13 points in Well Rounded Collection. That player's score will be (10*0.50) + (20*0.25) + (13*0.25) = 13.25 points. You can vote for the same player in multiple categories, but you cannot vote for yourself.

PM your picks to me, preferably through here, but Discord works fine as well. If you have neither of those, we can work out something. After you decide amongst yourselves, we can let the peanut gallery both here and maybe reddit with the names filed off take a swing. Here is a template that you can copy paste:

code:
[b]Best Overall Collection[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

[b]Best Collective Nominees for Draft Themed Rounds[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

[b]Appeals to Widest Range of Tastes[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

In addition, if you are willing to provide some feedback either privately or publicly, I would appreciate some or all of the following answered:

Did you find the reimplementation chain rule as a decent metric to define game families, both in coverage and ease of access?
How did you feel about the themed rounds themselves?
How did you feel about slow rolling the reveal of the themed rounds?
How did you feel about the ability to sub in other picks instead of being forced to use your themed round picks?
Did you feel that I was fair and consistent in my rulings?
Anything else you would like to add?

I'll effort post about themed rounds and get an audience poll up probably tomorrow. Gonna play video games now.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 12, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

10.13: Russian railroads
I like salad with my points.

No reshuffling picks.

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant - best with 6
Gloomhaven
Automobile - out of top 300
Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game
The Voyages of Marco Polo - dice
Forbidden Stars
Battlestar Galactica - licensed
Android: Netrunner
Barrage - after 2016
Russian Railroads

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

RR is honestly lovely.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Round 10, Pick 14
Titan

The last, will be first. This is the only game I rate 10. The Monster Slugathon Fantasy Wargame. Build big armies, smack into other armies, zoom in to a tactical map and fight.

There are a lot of general nuisances with multiplayer games, and Titan does well to get around them:

Attacker has combat advantage, must keep moving / splitting to recruit - discourage turtling.
Winner of battle gains points, which provide combat strength, units, survivability of the Titan, and the endgame teleport power - avoids "you two fight, I win".
Restricted movement - can't just bash leader / pick on weakling.
Player elimination - players are not trapped in a game and forced to kingmake when they can't win.
Dice luck - if you're in, you can win! If the chance has become unrealistically low, you would also usually be able to resign without ruining the game.

Also, sometimes you just want to throw 18 dice, while still feeling the better player usually wins.

When the "300-" round was announced, Titan was ranked a perfect 1.000 on BGG. Also eligible for 6p and dice!

Dominion
Spirit Island - new game
Codenames - 6p
Age of Steam
Sekigahara - The Unification of Japan
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - themed
Backgammon - Dice
The Crew
Titan - rank 300+

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 12, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm pretty happy with how my selection turned out.

Hey, wait a minute...

Zombicide
El Grande
Northern Pacific
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed

Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill
Consulting Detective
Kingdomino
San Juan

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey, wait a minute...

Zombicide
El Grande
Northern Pacific
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed

Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill
Consulting Detective
Kingdomino
San Juan

Holy poo poo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Sweet zendo jesus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey, wait a minute...

Zombicide
El Grande
Northern Pacific
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed

Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill
Consulting Detective
Kingdomino
San Juan

:mods: BAN :mods:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Okay, go ahead and start sending in the votes in one of my DMs. The second post has the below, but make sure I didn't make an error recording it.

rchandra
Dominion
Spirit Island - Games Released During Or After 2016
Codenames - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Age of Steam
Sekigahara - The Unification of Japan
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Backgammon - Games That Implement Dice
The Crew
Titan - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking

ketchup vs catsup
Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Gloomhaven
Automobile - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game
The Voyages of Marco Polo - Games That Implement Dice
Forbidden Stars
Battlestar Galactica - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Android: Netrunner
Barrage - Games Released During Or After 2016
Russian Railroads

silvergoose
Napoleon's Triumph - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Through the Ages
Poker - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Hansa Teutonica
Riichi Mahjong - Games That Implement Dice
Bridge
War of the Ring 2E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Guns of Gettysburg
Wind the Film - Games Released During Or After 2016
Shogi

Dancer
Food Chain Magnate - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Galaxy Trucker
The Estates - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Wir sind das Volk!
John Company - Games That Implement Dice
Bus
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game 2E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Santorini
Via Nebula - Games Released During Or After 2016
Quantum

nimby
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Dungeon Petz
Colosseum - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Mage Knight
Kemet - Games That Implement Dice
Vinhos
Star Wars Rebellion - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Chaos in the Old World
Terraforming Mars - Games Released During Or After 2016
Zendo

blackmongoose
1830 - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Brass: Birmingham
Chicago Express - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Concordia
Twice as Clever - Games That Implement Dice
Kanban
Star Wars Armada - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Tragedy Looper
Great Western Trail - Games Released During Or After 2016
Maria

Memnaelar
Argent: The Consortium - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Gaia Project
Madeira - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Underwater Cities
Cthulhu Wars - Games That Implement Dice
Space Alert
A Study in Emerald 1E - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Archipelago
Millennium Blades - Games Released During Or After 2016
Glen More II

casnorf
Cosmic Encounter - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Pandemic Legacy
Mythic Battles: Pantheon - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Acquire
Liar's Dice - Games That Implement Dice
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Crusader Kings - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
PARKS
Rising Sun - Games Released During Or After 2016
Hive

DogCop
Pax Pamir 2E
Container
Indonesia
Root - Games That Implement Dice
Crokinole
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Bridges of Shangri-La - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town - Games Released During Or After 2016
A Fake Artist Goes to New York - Games That Can Play 6 Players

PseudoScorpion
Keyflower - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Twilight Struggle
Lords of Vegas - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Dune - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Roll for the Galaxy - Games That Implement Dice
Caylus
Batman Love Letter
Glory to Rome
Blue Lagoon - Games Released During Or After 2016
Cribbage

Jedit
Roads & Boats
Orleans
London 2E
A Feast for Odin
Island Project - Games That Implement Dice
Mysterium - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Armata Strigoi - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
The Gallerist
Smartphone Inc - Games Released During Or After 2016
Fast Sloths - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking

Bottom Liner
Dominant Species - Games That Can Play 6 Players
Antiquity
Through the Desert - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Inis
Command and Color: Ancients - Games That Implement Dice
Agricola
Marvel Champions: The Card Game - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Tigris & Euprates
Nokosu Dice - Games Released During Or After 2016
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

Chill la Chill
Mega Civilization - Games That Can Play 6 Players
The Great Zimbabwe
Neuland - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Modern Art
Troyes - Games That Implement Dice
Chinatown
Robotech Force of Arms - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Reef Encounter
I don't wanna leave kotatsu - Games Released During Or After 2016
Go

Doctor Spaceman
Zombicide - Games That Can Play 6 Players
El Grande
Northern Pacific - Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed - Games That Implement Dice
Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill (LotR LCG) - Games Based on Non-Board Game Properties
Consulting Detective (Sherlock Holmes)
Kingdomino - Games Released During Or After 2016
San Juan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hey, wait a minute...

Zombicide
El Grande
Northern Pacific
Dungeon Lords
Outfoxed

Ra
Over Hill and Under Hill
Consulting Detective
Kingdomino
San Juan

This is the only good reason to have picked Zombiecide :five: