Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This will be interesting. I will dominate the back to back pick as best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

rchandra posted:

Round 1: Pick 1
Dominion
I can sense I'll need a real 6p game later. Dominion is an excellent 2-3p game!

boo

booooooooooooo

cheeeaaaateeeeer

pick a game you'd actually play at siiiiiiiix

booooooooooooo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Round 1, Pick 2

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant

It’s not only the best trading game, it’s better the more players you have, and it takes ~the same play time at all player counts. Plays great at 4-9, and all 9 of the races are super well balanced.

Everyone should own it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dominion at six?

:thunk:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Chill la Chill posted:

Dominion at six?

:thunk:

I literally threw the extra coppers/greens/whatever straight into the recycling because i am never in 1000 years going to actually want to do that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill you must be out of your GODDAMN mind if you think

Round 1, Pick 3

Napoleon's Triumph

Yes, yes, it's not what people think of for 6 player games, but holy loving poo poo this game is incredible as a team game. Probably my favorite board game experience. Definitely my favorite game in the world. There's no way I'm letting this past me, no way.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dominion at four already kinda sucks, playing it at six is classified as a war crime

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

To follow up on silvergoose, the official rule book does have provisions for up to 8 players. The BGG listing is incorrect, goose gets to make the pick.

If you can make a case for something like that during a themed round (or any time really), DM me here or in Discord (preferably Discord) and I will investigate.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Round 1, Pick 3

Napoleon's Triumph

Yes, yes, it's not what people think of for 6 player games, but holy loving poo poo this game is incredible as a team game. Probably my favorite board game experience. Definitely my favorite game in the world. There's no way I'm letting this past me, no way.

Last year people wondered why I picked NT first round. This is why.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

silvergoose posted:

Round 1, Pick 3

Napoleon's Triumph

A friend at a convention once came up to me to tell me, "I saw a copy of Napoleon's Triumph being set up so I'm pretty sure you've lost your spouse for the rest of the day."

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

If this is how the theme rounds are gonna go why even bother with them?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah what the gently caress is going on here

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
It's such a boardgamer trait to see a set of rules and immediately go, "okay but this technically doesn't break any rules."

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I tried to word the rule so as to permit technicalities. If the rules themselves list it as a variant, then the BGG listing is wrong. Battlecon is technically a 1-5 player game because of the variants, but you can't convince me anyone has ever played a 5 player game of Battlecon. Even in the community tab player next to the best at count under the BGG player count, it shows 2+ rather than 2 (reference Sekigahara). Therefore, I accept that BGG's listing should be 2-8 players which again is alluded to in the 2+ count.

If you have a question about any possible pick, feel free to message me. It's my job to clear up questions and misunderstandings. I wrote the rules myself, and I am totally willing to admit there are technical gaps somewhere.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Goose is picking it cuz he knows I would slam dunk pick my secret 6P game and NT back to back

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Been awake for 24 hours and have a work deadline in 4 more so I won't push myself too hard on this, and just go with my gut pick of Food Chain Magnate.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

It's such a boardgamer trait to see a set of rules and immediately go, "okay but this technically doesn't break any rules."

Wouldn't be a board game day without 'That Player' rocking up and rules lawyering it up
:actually:

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Round 3 Theme: Space Games

Note:Games don’t technically need to have an outer space or sci-fi theme, they simply need to take up physical space via existing.

Round 5 Theme: Worker Placement Games

Note:Does not require a worker placement or action selection mechanism. Instead your copy of the game must have been physically placed somewhere by a worker (game store employee, warehouse worker, UPS driver, etc.)at some point since it was printed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Suddenly Susan posted:

Round 3 Theme: Space Games

Note:Games don’t technically need to have an outer space or sci-fi theme, they simply need to take up physical space via existing.

Round 5 Theme: Worker Placement Games

Note:Does not require a worker placement or action selection mechanism. Instead your copy of the game must have been physically placed somewhere by a worker (game store employee, warehouse worker, UPS driver, etc.)at some point since it was printed.

don't stop, do all the rounds

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It's amazing how salty you are for not even being in the draft

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

The rules don’t technically say I’m not in the draft so who can really say?

This thread is operating on Air Bud rules.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shadow225 posted:

It's amazing how salty you are for not even being in the draft

Since I got dropped I need to delegitmatize the process by any means necessary :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Suddenly Susan posted:

how much money do you have riding on this thread?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Since I got dropped I need to delegitmatize the process by any means necessary :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Suddenly Susan posted:

DogCop posted:

Ain't no rules says a dog can't win board game draft

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Countdown to

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Round 1: Pick 5
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition

If you need a game with a specific mechanic, this has it. If you need a game that takes up your entire Saturday, this game does it. If you want to play as space cats or peace turtles, this game provides. 6-player is the only real way to enjoy this, although the upcoming expansion comes with hyperlane tiles so you don't have to homebrew as much to make 5-player work. At 3 and 4 it is still a game, but it's not the true TI experience. TI3 was the catalyst that really got me into the hobby, I can't recall how many times I've played it, but it's upwards of 30-40 plays. The 3rd edition rulebook was a mess but I loved it all the same. 4th edition actually fixes that issue by having a very decent rulebook with most of the rule problems already answered, so no 17-page FAQ or addendum required. I wish there wasn't a pandemic going on so I could physically play this game again.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Round 1: Pick 6
- There's only 3 of them available and there's no way I'm not getting one. Plus it actually plays well at 6 so I don't have to throw away a pick later to get an on-theme game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Me, desperately looking through my notes as all the good 6P games are taken one by one

There's only one choice left

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Me, desperately looking through my notes as all the good 6P games are taken one by one

There's only one choice left

That would have been a great pick for Theme Round 7:Classics Only

Note:This round does away with variants or re-themes per BGG counting as one game. Why you ask? This round is about the nuanced choice of picking the best variant of the one true classic Munchkin. Other valid choices for this round include Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Kittens, Tic-Tac-Toe, and Tapestry.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
With Pick 7 in Round 1 of this year's draft, Memnaelar selects...

ARGENT: THE CONSORTIUM (w/ MANCERS OF THE UNIVERSITY EXPANSION)

I considered picking an Uwe title but the fact is that if I'm going to arrange six players around the table for a few hours, you need a game that has maximum interaction to warrant having that many people there. Argent brings that in spades. It's a table-hog and not all of my friends love it, but none of them have ever been *bored* by it. The uncertain victory state keeps people invested as the leader is never 100% clear, constant movement and manipulation of other player's pawns (or of entire action areas) can keeps people "locked in" throughout (bad Argent pun), and the chaotic alchemy of all of the various options on the table mean it rarely allows players to fall into familiar patterns if they DO decide to come back and play a second time after you forced them to sit at a table of six. You madman.

It also doesn't feature player elimination and you rarely find yourself with an obvious last-place player who is sad-sacking their way through the mess. I tend to find that important.

The rest of my draft may go entirely poorly, but at least I get to bring my favorite not-Harry Potter game back to my table.

edit: I realize the fine print of the round's theme says it doesn't have to play six well. I DEFY YOU THEME. If it's going to play 6, it needs to be fun at 6. Otherwise, why even bother? I have spoken.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 31, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Round 1, Pick 2

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant

It’s not only the best trading game, it’s better the more players you have, and it takes ~the same play time at all player counts. Plays great at 4-9, and all 9 of the races are super well balanced.

Everyone should own it.

Even though I'm now drafting against you in mortal kombat, you remain this fan's favorite with your first draft. Keep up the good work, just less gooder please.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I maintain that games picked in rounds with rules should be judged solely by how that game fits that rule.

Judge dominion/nt/fcm/whatever only at 6 players because they were chosen in the round for 6 player games.

Note in the final lists the round theme in which a pick was chosen and judge by that alone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean you can criticise the draft rules if you want, but they explicitly say the opposite.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

silvergoose posted:

I mean you can criticise the draft rules if you want, but they explicitly say the opposite.

I suspect that we're just advocating for an allocation of extra style points for those of us who pushed 6-player games that are fun for 6-players. We're winners in the hearts of the fans, if not in the cold, uncaring mechanical scoring of this very serious draft.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Memnaelar posted:

I suspect that we're just advocating for an allocation of extra style points for those of us who pushed 6-player games that are fun for 6-players. We're winners in the hearts of the fans, if not in the cold, uncaring mechanical scoring of this very serious draft.

Winners will be determined via how well the game works conforming to the theme and by overall list. The winner will be posted within 72 hours of the draft completing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
You saw this one coming:

Round 1: Pick 8
Cosmic Encounter

Originally released in 1977, and substantially the same game more than forty years later. That's a testament to how right they got it. The fantasy flight 2008 release is most common these days, and expansions bring total playercount up to 8. You're thinking: oh, what a random boring I don't get to play-fest why would you ever? To that I say: Cosmic Encounter is Diplomacy with some degree of skill variance mitigation. The added accessibility and silliness of mechanics and theme means you get to play Diplomacy but without the hurt feelings report that invariably comes afterward. Wheeling and dealing or throwing your weight around or really anything else is supported and encouraged by the structure, and you have to adapt per-game by the alien you're playing. Sure some of them are crazy overpowered: Don't play that one if you know what you're doing. Oh, I sometimes hear, the game goes on way too long! Sure, if you think you have to win alone. That you can share victories or (in my very first game ever, where I was being an arrogant college poo poo) specifically exclude someone from winning means Cosmic does things that even much of the board game renaissance hasn't touched on since. Six or more players will form shifting power blocs, and the nice thing about those table politics is that's where your diplomacy skill gets to shine.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

git gud scrub

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

End of the day, all I do is make the Air Bud rules. The actual winner is voted on by the participants. You can vote however you would like using whatever criteria you want. While I obviously would prefer you to vote honestly, there's nothing stopping you from voting in bad faith. I don't even think that your interpretation is bad faith, just making the point that I don't care who wins and how.

Will definitely keep suggestions in mind for next draft after the dust settles on this one and feedback is offered. I like to think that I have already shown that I am pretty flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I’m perfectly happy winning the audience vote for the second year in a row