Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dancer posted:

git gud scrub

Anyone quoting git gud knows that in Dark Souls, it's not about whether you 1-shot Gwyn or not, it's how you played the true Fashion Souls game in getting there that matters. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I’m perfectly happy winning the audience vote for the second year in a row

Who cares about audience vote, I'm aiming for making sure chill would trade lists with me at the end.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

silvergoose posted:

Who cares about audience vote, I'm aiming for making sure chill would trade lists with me at the end.

You have my vote.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

That's a bold strategy considering Donk/bottom/Jedit are back to back.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Casnorf posted:

You saw this one coming:

Round 1: Pick 8
Cosmic Encounter

Originally released in 1977, and substantially the same game more than forty years later. That's a testament to how right they got it.

casnorf confirmed to be quintin "quinns" smith and therefore should be disqualified, as he already has a platform for having terrible taste on the internet. his pick should be forefeit, his seat reassigned, and his wealth redistributed.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Shadow225 posted:

End of the day, all I do is make the Air Bud rules. The actual winner is voted on by the participants. You can vote however you would like using whatever criteria you want. While I obviously would prefer you to vote honestly, there's nothing stopping you from voting in bad faith. I don't even think that your interpretation is bad faith, just making the point that I don't care who wins and how.

Can we vote for electors that then decide the actual winner?

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Round 1: Pick 9

Ok so admittedly 1830 was a better pick specifically for this round since it's more commonly played at 6 but hell if I'm going to miss getting the one other good 18xx in my lineup

It's 30 but tighter, quicker, and based in Japan so you can convince weebs to play. Game is gonna blow up when the mass printing hits.

DogCop fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 31, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Gutter Owl posted:

casnorf confirmed to be quintin "quinns" smith and therefore should be disqualified, as he already has a platform for having terrible taste on the internet. his pick should be forefeit, his seat reassigned, and his wealth redistributed.

You wish I had a delightful accent.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

nimby posted:

Can we vote for electors that then decide the actual winner?

I'll allow it.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Round 1: Pick 10
Keyflower

Keyflower is just the best game. It's aesthetically pleasing, the mechanics are fun and ingenious, it plays great at any player count, it doesn't last too long. It may very well be my personal favorite euro. The push and pull between saving workers for later or spending them early is just so, so good, and I've never played a euro where everyone is consistently at each other's throats in the final round.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Round 1: Pick 10
Keyflower

Keyflower is just the best game. It's aesthetically pleasing, the mechanics are fun and ingenious, it plays great at any player count, it doesn't last too long. It may very well be my personal favorite euro. The push and pull between saving workers for later or spending them early is just so, so good, and I've never played a euro where everyone is consistently at each other's throats in the final round.

Do you play with or without the meeple shields/hidden info?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Suddenly Susan posted:

Do you play with or without the meeple shields/hidden info?

I could go either way. I generally don't like hidden trackable info but I find it's easier to have a general feel for how many meeples of a certain color each player has than a lot of other games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
if you play open Keyflower you're wrong

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

if you play Keyflower you're wrong

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

if you play open Keyflower you're wrong

Indeed you are.

Round 1: Pick 11
Roads & Boats

Which I still haven't managed to table since last year, goddamnit. You'd never play R&B with six, but apparently that's not important. And Shadow said I can pick a different six-player game at the end to fit the category, so I can snaffle this one now and pick another sixer later on. Now all I need is to find myself a wife.

Bottom Liner, you're up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Round 1 Pick 12

Dominant Species

A brilliant game from the late great Chad Jensen. 6 players by design, and secretly one of the best worker placement games. The ebb and flow of the game is crushing but not defeating, and those cones and cubes just look so good moving around munching everything up.

Chill is up

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 3, 2020

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 1 Pick 13

MegaMegaMegaMEGA CIVILIZATION

Large. Huge. Absolute unit. This game runs my house.

Six? Try Eighteen. This game should count for 3x this round and it's well worth the effort to assemble this many people in a crowded room in the Before Times. As the BGG entry helpfully states, this game is an 18-player Royal Rumble in the Iron Age.

Heavy box capable of killing a small child ✔️
Can hold all your other games inside ✔️
Mediterranean euro theme ✔️
Trading & 4x? ✔️
Tracks, but not too many tracks? ✔️
Has historical baps *

*Additional purchase necessary

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Why is that small child allowed in the frame of the picture? They are TOO CLOSE to a box that could KILL THEM.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Why is that small child allowed in the frame of the picture? They are TOO CLOSE to a box that could KILL THEM.

That's not a small child, it's Chill. MegaCiv doesn't come in a small box.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Memnaelar posted:

The game really should come with a warning not to operate while intoxicated.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Round 1 Pick 12

Dominant Species

A brilliant game from the late great Chad Jensen. 6 players by design, and secretly one of the best worker placement games. The ebb and flow of the game is crushing but not defeating, and those cones and cubes just look so good moving around munching everything up.

Amazed this went this long. Was pretty close to first-picking it, given the round theme.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rchandra posted:

Amazed this went this long. Was pretty close to first-picking it, given the round theme.

It's a great game, but I can think of at least five six-player games that I'd draft ahead of it. Not necessarily because they're better, but because they're more accessible or more to my taste.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Great question was asked that I am going to repeat and answer here.

'If the next theme is worker placement, at the end can Bottom Liner use Dominant Species for that as well as 6p, or do we need a distinct game for each theme?'

You will need to nominate 5 distinct games at the end to represent the themed rounds. Bottom Liner in this example could not use Dominant Species as the nomination for two themes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think Zendo would have been a strong pick in the first round, since it can host a theoretically unlimited number of players.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

It's a great game, but I can think of at least five six-player games that I'd draft ahead of it. Not necessarily because they're better, but because they're more accessible or more to my taste.

It's a game that I think is absolutely fantastic and does indeed play six players, but that I would never, ever want to play with six players (edit: again. Once was enough.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I think Zendo would have been a strong pick in the first round, since it can host a theoretically unlimited number of players.

yeah but the correct player count is zero so in summary :getout:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don’t worry, for anyone who by the end of the game didn’t pick a 6P Game, I’ve got you covered :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Round 1: Pick 14
Zombicide

To appeal to a wide range of tastes means looking beyond the standard goon favourites. Zombicide gives me a lot of versatility for use in later rounds while still being a pick that people would actually choose to play at 6P.

Round 2: Pick 1
El Grande

A classic Euro that didn't make it past round 2 last time, and I had to check there wasn't a 6P expac that would have made it eligible for round 1 this time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

You were going to pick Caverna, weren’t you?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Told Doctor Spaceman the theme for round 3 after he told me his round 1 pick so I can post.

The theme for Round 3 is Games Rated Outside of the Top 300 of the BGG Overall Ranking.

If any game in the game's family is rated 300 or above, it is considered ineligible. For example, rank 971 Mega Civilization would be ineligible because it shares a family with rank 290 Civilization.

Games can move in ranking, so some degree of flexibility is expected if games somehow move a lot. As of writing this, Mythic Battles Pantheon is rank 301. If you were to draft it and it moves up to rank 299 before the draft concludes, it's still viable. Trusting you all not to game it with a bot farm or whatever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Round 2 Pick 2: The Great Zimbabwe

Hands down the best midweight euro I have in my collection. Plays up to 5, has good scaling from 2-5, and has enough of that classic euro interaction.

Look at this nice, satisfying gameplay and decadent wooden bits.

I didn't get to choose this last time during the mad early Splotter rush but some of the interesting bits of this draft is how the themed rounds affect picks.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 1, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Round 2 Pick 3

Antiquity

The grandfather of Agricola; a game that hates you and wants you to fill your streets with graves. A game with so many bits to punch that you'll hate it before you even play, then spend $40 on bakelite tiles to replace them. And don't even think you're getting the box closed again.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Why did you post a pick of Tapestry

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Shadow225 posted:

Why did you post a pick of Tapestry

Trolling. Only possible explanation as to why such a vastly inferior game would be pictured in place of its better. :)

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm grading BL as if he picked Tapestry this round.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Bummed to see my favorite three Splotters off the table before I could get a chance to pick one. V. sad.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

Great question was asked that I am going to repeat and answer here.

'If the next theme is worker placement, at the end can Bottom Liner use Dominant Species for that as well as 6p, or do we need a distinct game for each theme?'

You will need to nominate 5 distinct games at the end to represent the themed rounds. Bottom Liner in this example could not use Dominant Species as the nomination for two themes.

Why have theme “rounds” if you can fulfill its requirement whenever you want? Just list the 5 criteria you’ll be judging the lists by+overall. Or are you not even going to judge based on the themes you’ve chosen?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah you're right picks aren't being affected at all totally normal for zombicide to be picked 14th best game in this community

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Round 2 Pick 5

Orleans

Because I'm never not going to pick Orleans, especially with Trade & Intrigue added in. It's got a very comfortable and satisfying core gameplay loop which is simple enough for anyone to grasp - draw guys, make sets, do actions - but it still requires plenty of planning to make the most of your opportunities. And if it starts to feel uninteractive, switch to the Intrigue board and start killing and stealing from the other players and burn down their poo poo.

pseudoscorpion is up.

(BTW, guys, can you please remember that I'm on UK time. There's no point in @ing me on Discord at 11pm EST because it's 4am here. I'll get to it, don't worry.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Round 3 Pick 6
Twilight Struggle

This isn't really a goon darling. "Wir sind das Volk is better!" is a cry I hear often in the Discord. Don't care. Twilight Struggle is a god drat magnificent game. By all accounts, it shouldn't work. An asymmetric wargame, based on a real-world map with relatively few affordances in the name of game design, with cards based on actual historical events, most of which are even reasonably thematic (the Pope going to space notwithstanding), and a gameplay loop that rewards the exact kind of brinkmanship that so closely brought us to nuclear oblivion in the past century? Despite all of these, the game is still balanced on a knife's edge. A masterpiece of design and one of the few games I could find myself playing forever. And counting digital plays, it very well may be my most played board game.

I really should try Wir sind das Volk at some point though.