Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

StormDrain posted:

LOL, I was shocked the Beams weren't going for that one... And apparently neither was everyone else.

Edit, I had to go back and look, I didn't realize that had the most votes of any blessing by like 100k. Probably was a ton of beams votes. Must be am error?

nah, Fairness rules meant everyone gets only one card, so once the Sunbeams won any card all the rest of their votes were thrown out (same thing happened to the Lovers). In comparison, the Wings were 19th in the rankings, so their 0% was in fact the highest bidder after you removed the 18 other teams that already got cards from the counting (the other remaining Team being the Lift who put everything into Strength which was the other remaining card).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I guess the only exception is stale popcorn, which gives you a handful of coins when your team loses, but that doesn't seem very valuable.

Stale popcorn is arguably the most valuable - keep in mind that even champions record 30-40 losses in a season, most teams are getting significantly more than that, and stale popcorn is like a quarter of the cost as the regular kind (with my current items, I can spend 530 to go from 218 to 220 on a win, or 395 to go from 350 to 355 on a loss). It is absolutely worth investing in, especially with how bets have been rebalanced.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm going on the record that I think the tarot spread is like a lottery

Relatedly, given that Hanged Man (the card for last seasons champion) has been appearing in every single spread reported, whether it's a lottery or something else you probably want to put that card in the left/Past slot of your spread.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

The in hindsight obvious conclusion of putting a giant coin in charge is that The House Always Wins when gambling. I think the SIBR tl;dr is that only bets at 70% and up now have a positive EV, but you can still make some money betting smartly (Black Hole and Sun 2 have a tendency to lead to underdog "wins", eg.)

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Would it really be that bad if some Fridays fan voted to get York back? It kinda doesn't feel like that big a deal.

E: Like I don't get what's so frustrating about the hypothetical outcome of the Garages plundering Jalen or whatever. I can get thinking that's a boring move and being disappointed but it seems absurd that would ruin the game for you.

i mean the Fridays explicitly don't want York back (they're extremely happy lore-wise with him being on the MTs), so i'm pretty sure they'd be upset with that at least.

more specifically like people are saying most of the teams I've seen have come to the consensus that they'd rather boost their own players than try to steal back players they haven't had for months (exception of course are the new teams, and i doubt anyone will really get upset if they try and boost their starting line-up a bit). So the Fridays stealing back York or the Garages stealing back Jaylen or whatever is going to be the result of some individual's random wimdy vote instead of any concerted effort by a team. and as much as having your election plans ruined by the Crab Economy sucked, having them ruined by someone ostensibly on your own side is probably going to feel a lot worse to people.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

the risk is that a third will would split the votes of the people who are actually paying attention to team plans, while the wimdy people are going to keep on wimdying at the same rates.

going from (extreme simplification) picking 2 of 45% A, 45% B, 10% Z to picking 3 of 30% A, 30% B, 30% C, and 10% Z does increase the chances that Z gets picked. especially since you can't get the same will multiple times, so that last pick is going to have a 1-in-4 chance of getting wimdy'd (recall: the tarot assignment where a few teams were the highest bidder at 0% because everyone who actually voted for that card drew something else first and got removed, leaving a pool of entirely random one-off votes).

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Ascension (removing from the league a team that wins 3 championships) was a soft disincentive to pumping a team to the moon because they'll disappear, but now that's off the table so lmao good luck rest of the league.

i remember seeing crabs stating, completely seriously, that the flooding event was the game band publicly admitting that ascension was a mistake and they never should have dared remove the crabs because they were the only team worth caring about and no one would be playing the game if it weren't for the crabs.

something something that fanbase meme of "gluttons would not be satisfied with all the riches of heaven" something something

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Going by the blaseball discord the Crabs are out numbered by 7 other teams most of them pretty heavily. Hopefully they figure out some kind of free agency like mechanic that keeps dynasties from taking over.

Assuming you mean the choose-your-team count, that's as of March 1st, which is before they and the three new teams actually (re)joined. So it's more they had more fans than half the league despite not actually existing as a team for two seasons/the grand siesta.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Abyssal Squid posted:

I've heard grumbling from the Crabs that they'll be disappointed if nobody tries to fight back this way.

i am shocked, shocked to hear that there are crabs fans who get upset when people on other teams have higher priorities than whatever the crabs are doing.

tinstaach posted:

I don't know why other teams aren't trying to make their rosters thinner, especially now that the Tacos are contenders. Sure it increases variance but if your pitching rotation is 2 players and one of your pitchers is 5 stars, you're probably a good bet to make the playoffs on that alone

a good portion are trying, especially since it became clear revoke was "free agent" and not "dead", but there has been a lot of wimdying on wills.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

By the way, in case anyone in this thread missed it, the end stage of taking this stuff too seriously:

https://medium.com/@thegameband_studio/regarding-the-latesiesta-renovation-results-5505db96fe0d

Turns out some of the questionable results in the renovation were, in fact, people cheating massive amounts of gold and trying to sabotage other teams.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

I'll say specifically for that trade that it is extremely not clear what happened - the Crabs/Fridays can't actually target each other for exchanges being in the same subleague, the only reason the trade went through like that is because the Dale traded Breadwinner to the Crabs for Horseman first - so if it is sabotage it's the Crabs somehow arranging multiple chained trades to exchange a 5 star batter for a 5 star batter (weird), the Dale somehow becoming massively more aggressive and risking getting their own 5 star back (Horseman was originally Dale IIRC) if the trades go through the wrong way, or some unrelated third party just casting random votes around for the hell of it (not impossible given what happened earlier in the week). Beyond that, it's "people off discord do weird poo poo for no apparent reason", which there's not much to do about it aside from trying to put more votes into wills themselves.

blastron posted:

We’re not being told that sabotage is fine by the rules. We’re not being allowed to discuss it at all! People are eating mutes because they think that it’s bullshit that other teams can roll through and make lovely Wills decisions. Mods have been spamming a “hey it’s time for some self care! 😊 have you eaten anything lately? 😌 go for a walk 😃 and take a shower!” macro. This is toxic as hell and I think I’m just done with the discord for anything but following along with games.

This is definitely weird and an overreaction though, given that sabotage has literally demonstrably happened and teams are outright saying they've done sabotage adjacent things (Tigers have apparently admitted to screwing over the Lovers by using them as a middleman on trades, although I'm not clear on the details). Thankfully they do seem to be calming down a bit and letting strategy talk resume, at least.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

blastron posted:

SIBR figured out how to see each team’s current Wills vote tallies and I hate it. It’s secret by design and revealing it significantly changes how votes are cast. Some forbidden knowledge should remain forbidden!

Do you mean the percentages or the actual numbers? Because the former is just an apple stat now (and a lot of people were already doing the "cast X votes, see how the percentages change, math out the underlying numbers" thing). The wills viewer thing does let you see other teams values, which is less surfacable, but with the fluting changes it's not really like you can affect them, and I'm pretty sure they've added a separate one for just your team.

It's probably a bit much, but like spying in real baseball the actual effect is probably negligible.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

tinstaach posted:

Oh I didn't even notice the tarot cards are rebelling, there's now a new decree and given the community's enthusiasm for introducing new and mysterious things, I'd bet my life it's gonna pass

The Tarot Reader has taken the appropriate response to being fired, which is to try and burn the building league down on it's way out.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I think, and I'm not 100% sure on this:

win: -1 win
lose: 0 win
sun2 loop: +1 win

congrats to whichever teams get the Wild Card, i guess!

my guess is:

win: +1 unwin
lose: 0 unwin
sun2 loop: +1 win

playoffs will be determined by number of unwins, which are physical objects like wins but have negative eDensity. sun2 will continue to give wins that unfortunately no longer do anything but weigh the team down.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

the new weather for the season have been released! during Polarity games, SIBR curls up into a ball and cries. neat!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Sockser posted:

lol jazz hands used a will to reroll Liquid Friend and then he got yeeted out of the game

Jazz Hands will never catch a break

on the plus side, at least we finally confirmed that something happens when Liquid Friend and Uncle Plasma are on the same team!

you know, now that they can't do anything and several seasons after anything they could have done would have been relevant.

(in b4 gift shop has Liquid Friend and Uncle Plasma replicas and somehow no one manages to get a copy of both)

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

yeah plot is just happening uncontrollably today. see also: the existence of a team that no longer plays and isn't dead so noone actually knows where they are, and the fridays apparently used to have magic anticapitalistic powers (wish we still did, they'd have been real handy these past couple of seasons), both revealed in like the last twenty minutes.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

lil pitchy did their best, and we love them for it.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

marhom posted:

well, that's like maxed negative fort on the stadium. hope everyone's sold down to one slot / 99 sundaes for this loving bloodbath.

I swear, the writing that we got from the reader after Let's Go Mills Baby Mills Go Up is so incredibly good in that it both mocks our attempts to forge order from chaos while being quite LITERALLY about that (and also opening up like six new spheres of inquiry, if my dumbshit bridge theory is right I'm gonna lose it)

given the presence of Agan as a Fire Protected and Stables possibly triggering multiple times, it's honestly unclear whether anyone will die in this game. Probably a good idea for next season though!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

Does the Coin have a plan? Are they just scrambling to keep their head above (under? both?) water? We don't know, but I expect we'll find out this week.

Near as I can tell, the Coin's plan was to use the Semi-Centennial Game to Forge artificial Legends as a way of paying off her debt to Namerifeht, which worked right up until N wasn't fooled in the slightest and cut off the League's credit. The plan *now* is probably just "desperately deny anything is wrong until she can get her stuff and hide in the Vault with Lootcrates until everything blows over."

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

"New Bets" appears to show the odds as calculated when the game first opened for betting; "Active Bets" (as well as the game day log) appear to show the odds as currently being calculated, which should thus be accurate for the next game and increasingly less accurate further out. Payouts still appear to be calculated off the former, and there's a thing in the updates of "bets are honored as written", so this may or may not be working as intended.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

also anecdotally, the discord seems to be full of new people looking forward to starting their first Blaseball, so they're at least achieving the ostensible goal of engagement a campaign like this has

also I'm p. sure the keepers have said the reward tiers are solely badges for participating in the fall draft, so there's no actual content being withheld behind higher tiers

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

i definitely fell like there's a lot of issues that are above and beyond just the expected new system growing pains - not having a password reset button is just weird, and the app still not being available is worrying given that was like the number one thing they said they were working on, etc. - but i'm willing to cut them some slack and assume they'll have most of that worked out quickly.

personally I'm more worried about stuff like the anchor switching from a person to a character design, and the lore ban on the discord, and a lot of little things that add up to it looking like game band is moving towards increased creative control and/or merchandising, either of which might work out well for them but might also be real stumbling blocks if they can't get the tech issues worked out quickly and the community starts fracturing/dissipating more than it did over the siesta

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

Antitonic posted:

Yeah, a few teams had to scramble to organise spaces they didn’t think they would need. I assume it’s because there seems to be more of an emphasis on player movement now. Lore being messy could be explained by an entire team roster changing week to week, rather than the slow drips of incineration or regular trades.

the longer answer given at the time was that there were multiple instances of people coming to keepers and telling them that the lore being made for such and such character was racist, and after months of internal meetings they concluded they would really prefer to have that be someone else's problem (with a subtext of their lawyers' agreeing they should really have that be someone else's problem)

personally the discussion/answers given seemed far too reminiscent of all the times authors talked about being unable to read fanfiction so they can maintain plausible deniability for copyright reasons etc for that not to have also been something the lawyers advised them about

(a "fun" side note is that there are teams that straight-up don't have an official place to talk lore now, having previously decided to ban it from their sidecords in order to keep everything public/in one place/etc and being very un-eager to reverse this decision in light of the reasoning provided above)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007

blastron posted:

The sheer number of people that they've laid off as part of cancelling Blaseball is kind of wild to me. I can't help but wonder what was their monetization strategy going to be, if they were going to be able to keep that many people on staff after a successful relaunch.

yeah a part of me is looking forward to a few years from now when people are resettled and NDAs are up so we can learn what was going on during both breaks - with what's happened since I feel like the reboot into beta quality must have been a sign of something not going as planned and them trying to like demonstrate interest to a new investor or something as plan B. it might just be as simple as "they couldn't get app approval for some strange reason and the chain of dominoes knocked everything down from there", but I'm still wondering if there was some merchandising attempt that went south.