Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh good, I was hoping there was a thread.

(We Are From Chicago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

As if the Tigers need even more ridiculous hitters.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Firefighters got a lot of help from Blessings for next season. I gotta say the dimensional tear over LA might cause some issues.

Hopefully we're back next week, but they've put together a hell of an interactive system and understandingly need some rest. And of course, the commissioner is doing a great job.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm honestly curious how much the 1% had altogether, or, conversely, how many 99%ers there are. Not that itatyers or anything, I'm just interested in what could have been had we voted for something else, since everyone got all of not-quite two votes' worth of coin with what we had.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo the most amazing coincidence. (Or is it??? :tinfoil: )

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

40-Degree Day posted:

All these blaseball lore and art people just want all these characters to gently caress. Please chill.

You must be new to internet fandoms.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

most of the Canada Moist Talkers are horrific monsters and don't gently caress

I got something you should probably know about horrific monsters created by fans.

They almost assuredly gently caress a LOT.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

As a fan of the Tacos, the shittiest team in blaseball by a wide margin, I am deeply invested in 3/4 of the team being incinerated and hope it happens every time they have a game. Being a fan of bad teams in this is better than real life because at least there's always a chance some bum gets sent to hell instead of getting an eight year extension because your GM is a dumb rear end.

One of the most incredible things that happened last season is when the Firefighters had three guys in one game have peanut allergies, only to have a bunch of amazing rerolling at the end of the season thanks to blessings. Went from almost dead last to nearly guaranteed playoff slot.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

So, this is pretty cool. Somebody crunched the numbers and ranked all the pitchers in the league by rotation position. The league works in such a way that the 1 starters will always face other 1 starters, 2s face 2s, and so on.

Considering blaseball players may only rest during a siesta and injuries are impossible, that's not surprising. No one ever needs rest, there's never pitching on short rest, there are no bullpens, etc. The "real' world would also always have aces face off if at that poo poo didn't matter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tibalt posted:

Pretty happy with the results of the election for the Crabs. Getting Ollie Notarobot off the pitching mound and into the rotation is going to improve the team by a lot, and switching James and Henderson isn't a bad situation either.

I'm kind of surprised at the decrees - Targeted Shame is super situational so I'm surprised so many teams went for it. I guess I'm not too upset about Alternate Reality. Changing up the lineups is probably for the best, but I'm going to be mad if Notarobot gets sent to the bullpen.

I think part of it is the fact that Shame is such a Blaseball concept that the non-min-max fans are going to vote for it for the pure absurdity of it. I haven't been keeping track of statistics evolution and I'm curious how often Shame actually came into play and, as a Firefighters stan, how much it will actually affect us.

The thing that worries me most is how the Tigers were already a powerhouse and now they get a Vibes boost? Scary.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

tinstaach posted:

Is it on purpose that these decrees don't say what they're actually going to do?

It's not like we really knew what was going to happen for several things in seasons previous. I mean, the description of Peanuts was literally "Peanut."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

I think it's just for S5

Compare the wording:

Targeted Shame: The Top 4 Teams will be punished with Targeted Shame next season. When they're shamed, they'll start the next game with negative runs equal to their shame.

and

The Fourth Strike [from this season's votes]: The Bottom 4 Teams from each Season will gain the Fourth Strike for the next Season. It will take four strikes to strike out any of their batters.

and

The Fourth Strike [voted in S2 and implemented for S3]: The bottom four teams in the league gain the Fourth Strike. It will take Four Strikes to strike out any batter on their team for the following Season and Postseason.

I just went and checked and Targeted Shame is indeed a single-season decree. If you click on a team to bring up the roster, an icon with hover text that says it's a Season effect. Now, whether or not Targeted Shame is redistributed next season, I dunno, but going with the parsing Lone Goat is going with, the answer would be probably not. But we'll see.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

5.5 * pitcher Axel Trololol just got reverbed into a 2.5 batter lmao

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME.

Every drat time we get something good, it gets nuked into the ground. No loving wonder we're barely a .500 team right now.

I wish we had a season schedule so I could know how much despair I should actually have.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

WE ARE FROM CHICAGO

That is all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

WE ARE FROM CHICAGO

(still)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carteret posted:

Check the blood team perks too... This is going to turn into calvin ball quickly and I LOVE IT

And the leagues got renamed?

And realigned. The Highs and Lows are the top and bottom finishers from last season.

As for the Tacos, the other Blood effects might make up for things. The Firefighters (et al.) have Blood Pity, which sends stars to the lowest team.

The whole splort is about chaos, and I don't think some people realize that. I also don't think those people realize that IRL sports are about chaos as well.

Edit:

The Crabs somehow maxed out four different Blessing categories, though, and that seems unusual. The lottery mitigates it somewhat, but I can't say that it feels good knowing that your votes only sort of matter because ultimately it's still random. It feels like bad game design when something that can be as absurdly powerful as some of these effects have been are seemingly arbitrary.

Yes, I recognize this goes against my last paragraph, but I'm coming at it from a design standpoint. If something is going to be random, don't give the players a false sense of hope that what they're doing matters. It's the blaseball equivalent of We Tried.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 6, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh neat I just realized that when the Crabs got Axel Trololol he reverted to a goddamn pitcher and when we got Joshua Watson back his mediocre pitcher status got switched to a garbage batter to take Trololol's place.

This is almost as bad as The Great Peanutting.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

Season 5-6 improvements/regressions.

Oof Hawaii, of course Crabs

The Crabs/Firefighters moves are almost entirely due to the theft of Axel Trololol, a heist of epic proportions. Thankfully our batting didn't get that much worse, but their pitching is so much better now. We came out with an effectively lateral move, but with Trololol going back to his normal position, it's a huge boost for them. Which, like, good for them, but I'm absolutely hoping for chaosball on every level now.

Also really hoping the improved defense we have is gonna make the difference the rest of the Firefighters fans seem to think it will when they decided to pursue it so hard.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

StormDrain posted:

Ahaha that was the strategy I used and invented independently until I could bet max on all.

Someone posted it in SIBR and it's just been repeated without question.

When I was building up from my 268 or whatever I started with this season I just bet portions of what I had in larger amounts further down the line until I was up to betting max again. I have max on every game right now and about 15000 left over.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

you know you can spend your coins right? I've been over 150k coins last couple seasons and I just spend them all on votes til I'm down to about 6k

Yeah, all redistribution does is encourage liquidation into votes. Last season I was pretty uninvolved and still ended up with something like 300 votes over the course of the season. This season I'll have a pretty significant amount more, and it's all going into votes, because either I use that money or it disappears into the aether. PLUS if I spend it all, then when redistribution happens, I get a seed amount to start next season.

I'm sure there's an economics lesson to be had here, but electric baseball mans go boom

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

The bloodbath sucks and I hate it

It only really sucks for the Wild Low division.

As an AL Central fan, let me assure you that even a division that for decades harbors some of the worst teams in baseball, they can still fluke into championships because that's how sports do.

Splorts is just sports but bigger. You can tell because it has another letter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

tinstaach posted:

Someone made a tracker with ~forbidden knowledge~ that says Jessica Telephone and Nagomi McDaniel are well clear of the field when it comes to idolatry: https://idols-viewer.netlify.app/

I'm going to laugh on Sunday when Jaylen Hotdogfingers gets stolen and nothing happens because he's still incinerated

I specifically picked Jaylen before I'd ever heard of the whole thing because it's so very splorts to idolize a dead player. I literally don't care about the bonuses that come from idols. I'm here for the shenanigans, not Number Goes Up.

(That said hooray for last place Firefighters!)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

tinstaach posted:

Just curious, how did you find him? Is there a place somewhere that lists all the player IDs?

She was already on the leaderboard. :v:

bawfuls posted:

so when is the bloodbath?

After playoffs I'm guessing, but :shrug:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pinwiz11 posted:

Agreed. That and 25/50/75/max bet percent buttons.

Bet 100% or don't bet at all. Risk management is for hedge funds.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rotten Cookies posted:

Untimely strings of injuries (apparently not a thing in this game), snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, being the little brother.

Excuse me what

Friend, get in the discord and start digging through the wiki. Watch Twitter.

It's like Night Vale but splorts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm starting to really get tired of the server instability when it comes to being logged in. I don't even have a funny comment or anything about it. It's just really frustrating. And I want to extend the benefit of the doubt because it's new and its beta and servers are expensive and etc, but at the same time it's been the same problem for several weeks and I was under the impression that extended downtime was supposed to help with that.

I mostly just worry that the game is going to stop being fun/interesting for people before the servers get taken care of, and the whole thing just sort of collapses from disinterest.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

i've never had this problem,

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's still a point on the website bugs discord channel and they don't know what causes it.

quote:

and BETA

Yeah I acknowledged that. It doesn't make it any less frustrating to have to log in almost every time I want to put a bet in and a good number of times I want to click on a player's/team's stats.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Does that mean the league is now without a cannabis sibling at all?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

Jessica Telephone just got unshelled in a Bird weather game, so I guess that's how that is solved. She immediately hit a two run home run to tie the game.

:getin:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tibalt posted:

Axel Trololol being the most idolized player seems really weird to me. PolkaDot Patterson seems like a much better pitcher to pick if you're just going to park and not switch around. If you're trying to hamper the Crabs by idolizing their best pitcher... I mean, I guess, he's got a lot of stars and his ERA is pretty great, I guess that makes sense. But Finn James and Brock Forbes can pick up the slack and it doesn't seem like a very effective strategy.

Axel Trololol is, or at least has been, according to the algorithms that make such decisions, the Best Player in Blaseball. It's verified by the fact that he's the one that has been getting stolen after the initial steal of Jessica Telephone (who was then swapped back to the Pies in Feedback.) So it makes sense to stan Axel. Also, he's a Crab, and their fanbase is large enough that they probably feel like they can just do whatever they want and if he gets shelled, he gets shelled.

Or it's people just setting and forgetting. I mean, I haven't switched from Jaylen Hotdogfingers. It's whatever.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah I don't understand how Trololol is actually calculated as the "best player" but he's never seemed that way for sure.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Crabs lost, only adding more evidence to my assumption that everything is chaos and votes truly don't matter in the end.

Especially with the Bloodbath coming up soon(?)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

that is cool, I'm going to offer many peanut tributes, despite how slow the clicking is

There was no loving way I was going to click a button over 5000 times, so I just got an autoclick program and set it to send a click every 3.5 seconds or so. This, of course, was before the Hall, so now I have zero peanuts again, and even less desire to make the computer squid do a thing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

tinstaach posted:

:sickos:

nothing can stop The Machine (except the upcoming bird weather)

Does the player in question have to be on defense in order for the birds to clear the shell? I remember something about Jessica Telephone being carried out to her position by her teammates, even though her spot in the lineup was skipped. So she "technically" "played" in the game.

If pitchers aren't considered "playing" on their off days, I wonder what happens.

edit: I just realized how absolutely impossible this post would be to parse without a lengthy explanation.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Max Peck posted:

JT was freed while the Pies were batting but not at her usual spot in the lineup; I'd assume that the birds could free anyone on the roster.

I was wondering how that went down as I wasn't online at the time. If there's anything I really genuinely dislike about this game (server stability being less of an issue for me in these early days of the season), it's that I just don't have the Extremely Online energy anymore, especially due to the entire world being on fire.

Blaseball is a young person's game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just discovered Reblase today

Que es este?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

InnercityGriot posted:

https://blase.srv.astr.cc/

It's kind of like a Gamecast for blaseball, as close as it gets to a box score.

I dunno why I asked, I have the dang thing bookmarked. :v:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

If you miss a few bets or whatever then it doesn't matter that much no human can be active 99 straight hours and root for a playoff run/early party time and cry at the sad art when yet another of your favourites gets incinerated. That's blaseball.

I mean, yeah. That's basically my M.O. it's just that so very much happens All The Time. At this point I basically try to show up for the end of the regular season, the postseason if I'm not busy on a Saturday, and the results of the election.

I also make an effort to not listen to the whims of team Discord inre: voting. I don't think actually matters since a raffle is by nature random, even with the team's thumb on the scale.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Double posting to say:

InnercityGriot posted:

everyone is terrified of losing the players they've grown attached to.

The true sports fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

They're all catpeople.