Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Blaseball is great, I love Blaseball. I'm cheering for the Baltimore Crabs, who are all about carcinization and antitheism. It's a very open and welcoming community of you're new to blaseball and don't know which team to cheer for.

The Hawaii Fridays are pretty chill too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The Crabs disappoint me once again - the whole team fell apart during the last 3 weeks of the season.

It's almost worse since we came so close. 52 wins versus 53 wins by both the Pies and the Talkers... I was seriously up til 1am last night waiting to see if we'd miracle it out.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

President Ark posted:

i feel like there's like 90% odds tame the tigers passes, given they won handily after losing the best batter in the league
The problem is that the tigers are going to try to spike the second two most popular decrees and push them over the top. Between that and some really tasty blessings, I think they can do it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Pinwiz11 posted:

I didn't realize Eat The Rich was each season! :aaaaa:

Time to go spend some more bankroll.
The Betting Snake Oil was increased up to 1000 if you'd like to spend a couple thousand coins quickly.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Pretty happy with the results of the election for the Crabs. Getting Ollie Notarobot off the pitching mound and into the rotation is going to improve the team by a lot, and switching James and Henderson isn't a bad situation either.

I'm kind of surprised at the decrees - Targeted Shame is super situational so I'm surprised so many teams went for it. I guess I'm not too upset about Alternate Reality. Changing up the lineups is probably for the best, but I'm going to be mad if Notarobot gets sent to the bullpen.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

rickiep00h posted:

I think part of it is the fact that Shame is such a Blaseball concept that the non-min-max fans are going to vote for it for the pure absurdity of it. I haven't been keeping track of statistics evolution and I'm curious how often Shame actually came into play and, as a Firefighters stan, how much it will actually affect us.
I remember some of the stat guys were trying to answer that very question, and found that it would have changed the result of one game in the season across the entire league. So, not a huge penalty, especially if they continue to be an above-average team.

But since decrees apparently carry over from season to season, the Firefighters are going to carry that forward forever and they might not always be this strong.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Squashing Machine posted:

My friend got me following this over the weekend and now the Firefighters lose their biggest hope in Trololol. gently caress Blaseball!!!!!
That's blaseball, baby *finger guns*

But I like how reverb has replaced the injury list and feedback has replaced the dumb player trades.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I'm doing a podcast where I'll talk about blaseball history or weird/fun games and events. Feel free to PM me advice or suggestions for future episodes.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

They're a lot better despite losing Patel Beyonce to their pitching lineup, but the Tacos are still very weak. They still aren't a good team, I would absolutely save my votes for the inevitable "Everyone Loves Tacos" decree next season.

Also I can't wait to talk about Elijah Valenzuela.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

Not sure if we're supposed to do this, but I've been dumping votes into Soul Swap anyway. Tired of that sad sack, losing is fine, Cubs talk. I can't believe Patel got reverbed, this team has no luck.
The beauty of Blaseball is that when the Cubs suck, you can actually do something about it. Soul Swap seems like a great improvement for the Tacos, assuming they don't get unlucky and the new randomize players are among the worst.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Tacos getting stuck in the Wild Low division and getting hit with the Blood Winner ("In the Blood Bath each season, this team must give stars to the team that finished first in their division") feels like a bit of insult to injury. Unless there's a hidden comeback mechanic, the Tacos are going to be struggling in the bottom and slowly losing stars for a while. Which, okay, I guess having the IBL equivalent of the Baltimore Orioles isn't the worst, but it's not like the team can suck it up, start over from scratch, and rebuild.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tinstaach posted:

Oh my god if you team wins two item lotteries and the rest of the league wins zero you do not get to complain, this is not hard!!! Do not make me go on a crochety old man "kids these days" rant about goddamn Blaseball!
We (crabs) lost the best player in the league to a division rival after a 1 in a 100 chance, but we were told not to complain about it by the team captains lol.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tinstaach posted:

That's totally vaild though! As long as it's "aw shucks what a bummer" type of complaining and not "I demand the commisioner reverse this decision" complaining, and it's not all you talk about for the whole week, people should be able to lament the loss of their team's best players.
Yeah, a large segment of the discord is pretty grumbley about it, but a.) Crabs already have a reputation for being mean poo poo-talkers (:rolleyes:)
and b.) We don't want to become the IBL Yankees that everyone else hates until, you know, we make it to the finals at least.

Personally, I think everything has been changing so dramatically each season that I will wait and see what the Blood Bath does before freaking out.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

After an inauspicious start, I gotta say it - I think the Crabs are good this season. We've only played 9 of our division games out of the 054 division games on our schedule, but I think we still have a relatively easy schedule. Plus the whole lineup is consistently good, so even if the worst happens and we lose Trololol or Fox, the team won't fall apart. Trololol isn't even the top 2 pitcher right now, it's James and Forbes.

I think the team strategy of going wide is definitely correct for the season, but I'm worried about the Blood Pity effect. I hope it's a set number of stars and not adjusted for record or star differential, otherwise we're going to turbo charge the Millis next season.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

StormDrain posted:

"I think my favorite team which is 21-2 might be good".
We were something like 45-20 in Season 4 before we got knocked out of the playoffs, and we lost in the first postseason series in Season 5. I'm holding off judgment until we make the semifinals.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tinstaach posted:

The prevailing strategy with idols seems to be maxing out the pitching ones and then constantly swapping them so that you have an idol pitching every game, and I am not a Crabs fan so no thank you that is too much min-maxing for me.
I bring secret Crab knowledge, in case anyone wants more details.

There is some debate about better idol and betting strategies in the SIBR discord if you really want to maximize, but this is probably the best you'll get without putting in a lot more effort.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

Yeah, but the Tacos aren't fluking into any championships any time soon. Giving our paltry stars to a better team feels bad, we already suck and are the worst team in the league.
Enhanced Party Time seems like it would help in the long run if it's big enough... but it might just keep the Wild Low teams in star parity as the best of the division becomes a revolving door.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

WhiteHowler posted:

Woah, the Garages just swept the Pies in the first round of the playoffs!
Jessica Telephone was a key component to their offense, so skipping her at bats absolutely devastated their ability to get runs.

Also, I haven't confirmed this, but I'm pretty having a player shelled means you're effectively down one on defense. We're not sure how it's calculated, so I'd hard to say, but JT was also an above average defensive player for the Pies.

Edit: I was wrong, apparently JT had a ground out and I just missed accordingly to the stats folk.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 12, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

tinstaach posted:

How bout a decree next season to add a multi-buy button for votes to the shop, cause holy moly my hand hurts
The most consistent request I've seen in the feedback channel.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Everyone seems to be lightly or strongly in support of EPT, I'd be surprised if it didn't pass.

Fridays seem like they'd benefit from the division wide blessings like Mutually Arising/Share Signals/Move the Mound are seen as more valuable to the Low divisions, but I bet Wild and Mild Low are going to compete for them pretty hard.

Going in on Headhunter and Vulture isn't a great option right now since you'd get a Shelled player, and the Fridays really need a stronger batting line imo. Presumably there's a way to de-shell a player, but who knows.

The team wide blessings like Ooze and Spin Attack are absolutely good for everyone, but I think a lot of teams are going to compete for them after the Crabs showed how powerful they are.

Real answer is go on discord and see what 3 or 4 blessings they think are the best in your team discord.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

TACOS GOT BETTER

Benefit from EPT and the divisional blessings Move the Mound and Sharing Signs. Feels good man. Also, LOL at Jazz Hands getting fourth strike and the Crabs getting SHELLED mcdaniel.
Going for Shelled McDaniel was a deliberate strategy, getting rid of Holden Stanton improves our batting lineup and it's one of the few good blessings for us that wouldn't be super competitive. Giving Stanton the Shrink Ray before trading him back to the Jazz Hands is hilarious though.

I'm pretty happy with it. The Crabs diluted our votes because we couldn't decide on a strategy, but two good blessings is still pretty great and we probably wouldn't get Ooze or Spin Attack even if we did coordinate.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Fellis posted:

"we diluted our votes"

high bidders on 4 different blessings btw

Personally I think it's a little patronizing, but everyone enjoys blaseball differently. I'm sure someone could do the math and figure out how many votes went into shiny versus spikey, probably most went into the spikey strat.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Rotten Cookies posted:

Untimely strings of injuries (apparently not a thing in this game), snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, being the little brother.

Excuse me what
The Yellowstone Magics players are all wizards.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Jaylen Hotdogfingers keeps beaning players, which gives them the Unstable condition for a week (9 days/games).

No one knows what Unstable does... yet.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I feel like the devs are trying to deliberately antagonize the Talker fans on discord at this point.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

The Pussy Boss posted:

Any theories on what will happen to the top 10 idolized players this time around?
I believe the Peanuts will be ignored, unshelled players will be shelled, and shelled players will be unshelled with a stat change equal to eating a peanut.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

Crabs will still be good next season, that team's strength is its depth. Even if it loses some guys, the other top teams have had a lot of attrition whereas the Crabs have had insanely good luck on weather and blessings. I think if they win the title this season, they are a better bet to ascend than either the Pies or Tigers were.
Yeah, but at the same time poking three holes in that lineup is going to ruin the consistency, and the Pies and Tigers have both struggled since losing a few players after their championship runs.

I'm not a fan of Bless Off. 5th Base and Easy Walks are fine, I don't mind the punishment. But debating voting strategy and trying to get everyone on the same plan for elections is a big part of the game for me, and it looks like the optimal strategy is season is probably "Hold your votes and take it on the chin."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Axel Trololol being the most idolized player seems really weird to me. PolkaDot Patterson seems like a much better pitcher to pick if you're just going to park and not switch around. If you're trying to hamper the Crabs by idolizing their best pitcher... I mean, I guess, he's got a lot of stars and his ERA is pretty great, I guess that makes sense. But Finn James and Brock Forbes can pick up the slack and it doesn't seem like a very effective strategy.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

PolkaDot Patterson has 0 walks in all of Season 7?!?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Im scared

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Yeah, this is a rough season to win the championship. Obviously it's still great to win, but man, Champs In The Making is just brutal. Still, at least the Wild Wings aren't a top 4 team (I think) so they'll still get blessings for next season even with Bless Off. But they're probably going to go, what, fourth for blessings? Hopefully they don't get screwed by turn order and get an improved player stolen.

I'm excited to see what the Bloodbath does. If the leagues get re-arranged, the Wild High is going to be slightly softer but Mild League is going to be cutthroat - if I'm counting right, the Firefighters are going to steal a bunch of stars and get put in the Mild Low division. On the flip side the Moist Talkers are also going to get a nice boost from Blood Donor right before going into the Wild Low division, so I expect they'll have an easier schedule next season.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Wild Cards is personally my pick. Double Jumps seems a little too random and chaotic for my taste, and I like the locked in pitcher rotation too much to like Relief.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

Tacos dicord makes a lot of bizarre voting decisions but this one actually makes sense, the blessing ban for the top four teams was last season, it's up this season so there is an expectation that the Crabs are going to have a massive vote stash hoarded for this season.
Yeah, early EPT seems about equal to a blessing, so intentionally tanking is actually a viable strategy. Combine that with the Bless Off teams presumably having more votes stocked up from last season, and forgoing blessings this season doesn't seem crazy.

But it IS a raffle, so i'm looking forward to a couple more 0% blessing winners this season :haw:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

0 blessings for the Crabs, ouch. I mean, I know that not getting at least 1 out of 6 7 is going to happen ~11% 8.5% of the time, but jeeeeeeez, we had 51% of the votes in Home Field Advantage.

Edit: Crabchat told me I missed one.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 27, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Montalvo posted:

I decided to finally hop on the bandwagon and joined. I had no idea what I was doing and spent all my coins in the shop before I realized I needed to use them to bet on matches. Am I hosed? I did get some of those passive income potions at least.
If you have no coins, you can beg for coins in the shop. Beg/Bet/Beg Again will let you bet 5-15 coins on each game and get back into it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I am very confused.

Did the Shoe Thieves win the championship series or not?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Only a team of Ascended Players could have enough Spirit to beat the Pods. Perhaps a really good team, with a gimmick about killing gods.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

InnercityGriot posted:

This is loser talk, but I'm just happy the Tacos made it to the postseason. Next season I suppose.

EDIT: Also, if the Crabs don't win this year they are choking frauds.
If they don't win this championship, this would be the third time they had the best regular season record while not winning the championship.

Which, like, isn't that unusual, the best team usually doesn't win. But man last season hurt and I really hope it doesn't repeat!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

It's Happening

Quick, everyone make your Ascension prediction. I'm guessing that it ends The Discipline Era and resets everyone's championship count for ascension purposes, and all the ascended players are retired and replaced.

Edit: I can't tell if it's a bug or what, but the Show Thieves appear to have a -1-2 record in the series for me?

And now the score went from 0 to 10 at the bottom of the ninth to 0-0 at the top of the tenth???

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

God I love Blaseball.

Edit: I'm secretly hoping the Crabs go on to blow a 3 game lead in a best of five series.