Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Horrors. What are Horrors? The native species of some terror-world, stolen from their natural habitat and forced into death matches? Science experiments cooked up in the darkest Rook Eng. Org.’s laboratories? Mascots gone terribly, wonderfully awry? According to the Decree Infosphere, the answer is: who cares? Wherever they’re from, they’re malleable, tenacious, delicious, atrocious and basically free. For this reason - and a generous and completely above-board corporate sponsorship - we are proud to invite you to the First Annual Horror Carnival! Come on down to Cygnus-IV and present yourself to the nearest Getcha Gacha Gotcha to get your Horror Fun Egg™ today, and raise it well.

(Warning: Do not rock, shove, push, or think angry thoughts near the Getcha Gacha Gotcha. Do not get it wet, fill the vents with chowder, or tease it. Do not eat your Horror Fun Egg. Do not touch your Horror Fun Egg. Do not remove it from its packaging before the allotted time. No flash photography within seventy meters of the Horror Fun Egg. Have fun. Do not have too much fun near your Horror Fun Egg.)

---
Welcome to the Horror Carnival, a vague spin-off of Bee Bonk’s transcendent Wrecking Crew. In it, you will be given charge of a larval Horror, a terrifying cute little creature that adapts to fit its environment by consuming bits of it. You will have five in-game days to hunt for food (or food-like things), feed your Horror, and train it up to become the very best it can be. First things first: select your Horror! They all look the same to start, but they won't for long! Each Horror has five Stats: Attitude, Awe, Bits, Tricks, and Implications. These will largely only matter when you get to the Horror Carnival, but will affect their appearance and coloration. At any rate, all you need right now is a name for your Horror - their Stats all start at 0. So give me a blurb and lets get started! Oh, for those of you who haven’t read Wrecking Crew (you should), here’s a setting primer: you’re in space and it’s pretty crappy all around if you’re not rich, but they have really good TV shows.

Once I have a group of players, I'll draw up your starting Horrors (which will look 99% the same but still) and we'll get properly started tomorrow!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Sprocket

Sprocket is electric blue and likes to chew on electrical cords! He is probably the 3rd-smartest member of his (remaining) clutchmates. He likes staring at clouds, junk food, and running on his wheel!

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 31, 2020

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

The Screaming Pisser

The Screaming Pisser neither screams nor pisses.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Hopping Blorpus

Watch it go.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

SCRAM

An avaricious creature with a disquieting presence.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
The Hroom

The Hroom is a curious beast. It nibbles and gibbers and hrooms at the moon.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Spawnma is a caring little thing and the constant nibbling is just how it shows its love for all things of tender nature.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Horror #1

Horror #1 smiles, but the smile is nothing but a grotesque artifact carved on its face by parental neglect. Its eyes shine, but they shine with a lack of love.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Heliogabalus named itself. It hasn't spoken since. We don't think it has a vocal apparatus. We're not asking any more questions.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Meep

An affectionate and devoted emotional support animal, with an unfortunate predator response to the smell of fear.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pek-Pek
A roundish plankton muncher, it just sits in place and feels sorry for itself.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Sliem
Mom, are eggs supposed to be goeey?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

One by one, you open your Horror Fun Eggs and name the adorable, sticky beings inside. Treat them well, because they’ll be your ticket to Fifteen-Minutes-Of-Fame-dom! They look hungry.

So! You got yourself a Horror. Congratulations - and beware! While they probably won't starve under your care, they can be a bit of a handful. In the first phase, Hunt, you're going to want to secure yourself some primo ingredients from one of Cygnus-IV’s delightful Tourist Zones! Ranging from the pastoral wildlands of Caphraxas Vale to the decidedly less pleasant environs of Secure Zone Delta-4, the Tourist Zones have got what you need to make your Horrors grow up big and strong. Or big, at any rate. During Hunt Phase, roll 1d100 and pick a Tourist Zone. Pay special attention to the Stats likely to be benefited by items drawn from the Zone, as well as the relative Danger of doing so. As a rule of thumb - roll high! The more Danger, the better it is to roll high, and vice versa!
  • Caphraxas Vale - Ah, the beautiful plains of Cygnus-IV's largest and least-populated continent. Since the Crisis wiped out most of the population some years back, the Vale has largely been reclaimed by nature. A wide variety of plants and animals can be found here, as well as a few other surprises from the old days. [Stats: BITS/IMPLICATION Danger Level: LOW]
  • Zon Mills Shopping Facilty and FunZome - There's nothing more depressing than a rundown old mall, and this is more rundown than most. Despite their boast that 7% of its stores are still operational, most of this place is eerie, grimy storage units and whatever wildlife managed to eke out a living here. Come for the bargains, stay for the mutant underclass that imprisons you for breeding stock! [Stats: TRICKS/ATTITUDE Danger Level: LOW]
  • Haunted Waste - Oh, it's not haunted. Ghosts aren't real. Named after Jedward D. Haunted, Cygnus-IV's last proper Governor, the Waste is a polluted mess of garbage and old munitions. Great if your Horror needs Iron in their diet! [Stats: ATTITUDE/AWE Danger Level: MEDIUM]
  • Orbital Boneyard - The smashed together remains of the O’Lon Treasure Fleet of One, orbital defenses, and a very unfortunate and ill-advised Zon entertainment station. In the decades since, its just gotten worse. Watch out for Skyfalls! [Stats: IMPLICATIONS/TRICKS Danger Level: MEDIUM]
  • The Gosh drat Blue - The largest body of water in Cygnus-IV, it has resisted both attempts at commercial fishing and at the imposition of an official name. The Blue is deep and dark, and even the rampant pollution of the old days did little but make it mad. A great vacation spot! [Stats: AWE/BITS Danger Level: HIGH]
  • Secure Zone Delta-4 - Do not go to SZD-4. There is nothing there. [Stats: ALL/ADDITIONAL SHENANIGANS Danger Level: DO NOT GO TO SZD-4]

”Example Hunt Phase” posted:

"My name is Mash Getchum and I’m going to take my Horror Lukachew to the Orbital Boneyard!"
ROLL = 12
"Oh boy, I'm excited because I found an Engine Part! Lukachew is so lucky!"

That’s it! It’s easy as 1-2-Ɛ!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 7, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"My name is Trik Fuckhead and I’m going to ignore my Horror Pek-Pek as it mopes around the Caphraxas Vale
ROLL = 46 
:cheers:"Burp!" 

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"I'm Shebbly Finkus and I'm the best! Let's take my little buddy The Screaming Pisser to the Orbital Boneyard!"
Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 23

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 31, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Feel free to write as much or as little as you want! Also: recruitment is open until the end of next Phase, Gourmet!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"I'm Just Some Intern. I sure hope I won't end up horrifically consumed by this project for my biolab when/if it reaches maturity!"

Caphraxas Vale: 1d100 99

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

"Wowzordz! My very own first ever pet! It's so cute and almost cuddly! The scales hardly sting at all! Come on, Spawnma! Let's go to the Orbital Boneyard on a treasure hunt!"

Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 16

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

"My name is Shelby Turpentine. I lost my eyes in a horrible workplace laser pointer accident, but settled for an all expenses paid vacation to paradise! Beast, take me to the beach at SZD-4."
Zon Mills Shopping Facilty and FunZome: 1d100 41
"Did you hear those screams, beast? We must be passing the FunZome. Let's stop in for a ride."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pek-Pek's amazing day

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

- Almost there.

Linolea pulls down from the main lane. The streaking lights fall behind. The scenery grows still and grey.
It is quiet, save for the hum of the air conditioning. Time passes. In the distance bones peek through the smog, and on the passenger seat, too large, sits a creature, too small.

- You will love it. I know the perfect spot.

Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 60

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
My horror is Cholmondeley.

I am Zyxsas the final. We are going to the Haunted Waste: 1d100 54

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 1, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

"C'mon Sprocket! You keep chewing on my dVice so we're going to the Haunted Waste to get you sum'more iron in your diet! Follow me: your master Lukachu!"

> Sprocket vs Haunted Waste: 1d100 53

"Oh heck yeah, Sprocket - those old hubcaps should be good to eat!"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"I'm Zark Trimble, and this is my new... hypothetical friend... Heliogabalus!"

"C'mon, Hee, let's go to the Orbital Boneyard. You like bones, right? You really, really look like a creature who'd like bones. Even... metaphorical bones? ... maybe I'll get lucky and you'll decide you need to live there forever and I can release you dramatically and there'll be a big music swell like in the vids. but probably not."

Orbital Boneyard Hunting: 1d100 54

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

My name is Rival Blue and i'm taking Sliem to the Haunted Wastes to get him some ectoplasm. What, it's not haunted? oh well, I already booked the tickets.

Haunted Wastes: 1d100 33

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
"My name is Poet
and I'm here to say
My horror is Burnette
And we're going to the Haunted Waste, eh!"

Haunted Waste: 1d100 62

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

I'm Balthazar Hemifinch and I'm taking the Hroom on a stroll through the Haunted Waste. Perhaps we will come upon a chunk of glowing ore amongst the teetering piles of scrap.

Haunted Wasted: 1d100 36

charms
Oct 14, 2012

What a horrific creature! If the Potentato doesn't like it, perhaps the sea monsters will.

The Gosh drat Blue: 1d100 = 82

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

New Horror Egg:
Kondo

I too like to live dangerously:
Let's go to Secure Zone Delta-4: 1d100 13

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

• Trik Fuckhead and Pek-Pek ventured into Caphraxas Vale and found a...

• Shebbly Finkus and The Screaming Pisser ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• J.S. Intern and Horror #1 ventured into Caphraxas Vale and found... uh... they found...
    D-Weld: 2d100 143
    +=
  • Spawnma and their trainer ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Shelby Turpentine and Meep ventured into the Zon Mills Shopping Facility and FunZome and found...

• Linolea and Hopping Blorpus ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Zyxsas and Cholmondely ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• Lukachu and Sprocket ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• Zark Trimble and Heliogabalus ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Rival Blue and Sliem ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• Poet and Burnette ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• Balthazar Hemifinch and Hroom ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• The Potentato and Scram ventured into the Gosh drat Blue and found...

• Kondo and their trainer ventured into... gulp... ventured into Secure Zone Delta-4 and found...

So! You’ve (mostly) survived your first foray into the wilds of Cygnus-IV, and come away with delightful treats for your hungry little guys. Now you can just feed them to your new best pal, but that won't make the most of it. Tucked into the base of your GGG pod (you DID keep that, right?) you'll find five free samples of Horror Spices, sure to give your dish a little extra oomph.

During Gourmet Phase, you may add one or more Horror Spices to any Ingredient you’ve turned up during Hunt Phase. If it’s of a like kind as the Ingredient, add +1 to the Stat Bonus. If it’s of a different kind, roll 1d6 and beat the magnitude of the Stat Bonus. A 6 always wins. If successful, the Ingredient’s kind changes to match the spice, and add +2 to the effect. This can be done multiple times - you can boost an Awe Ingredient with an Awe Spice for +1, then convert it to Implications for +2, then convert it to Bits for another +2, leaving you with a highly spiced Bits Ingredient with at least +5. This is a great way to spice up some lackluster Ingredients, but if you fail, you end up with a Ruined Ingredient. Now, you can still feed this to your Horror, but they might react poorly to it!

Once you’ve prepared it, simply indicate that you’re going to feed it to your Horror! Yes, during the same update - you’ll know whether you succeed or fail based on your roll, and it keeps things moving. You may also opt against feeding your Horror (or else you were unable to find an Ingredient during your Hunt…) but it will be very sad. Fear not - up next we'll be Training, so even if you didn't manage to find something you wanted, your Horror will still have a chance to get swole! And besides, there's always tomorrow!

”Example Gourmet Phase” posted:

My name is Mash Getchum and I’m going to take the Engine Part [AWE] I found and add some Ginger Spice to increase its value! And hey, I’ll add some Scary Spice to swap it to an Implications Ingredient!
ROLL = 1
Oh crap my hand slipped and I added way too much Scary Spice! Now it’s Ruined!

Oh well, I’ll just feed it to Lukachew anyhow.

That’s it! It’s easy as 1-2-Ɛ!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sid Nedious boggled at the can he and his horror had scavenged from the innermost cupboard of a Space Station's kitchen.

"Wowzordz! I've never seen so many warning labelled chemicals in one batch!"

The kid stared thoughtfully at the vile can of pop while their horror slobbered all over their shoes, either trying to digest them off his feet or to get to his toes for the same. Slapping a fist into his other hand, the kid then resolutely reached for his pack.

"Let's add some more, Spawnma! Maybe it'll all balance out, like the ecosystem was s'posed to!"

Add Ginger Spice to 'No' Canister [Tricks]: 1d6 1

"Uh oh. It's getting bubbly. I don't think it's s'posed to go bubbly until it's actually opened! Run, Spawnma!"

Oh no! I've... 'ruined' this perfectly 'good' ingredient!

Sid will NOT FEED this atrocity to Spawnma.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 5, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Just Some Intern

SPICE CHARGES: 5 -> 4

"Sure hope they aren't going to transfer me to work at that haunted EN Aerostat because of this find..."

Spicing the AWE in my mystery D-ingredient with SPORTY SPICE: TN 2: 1d6 3

The ingredient is now 7 BITS and 2 IMPLICATIONS. Feeding it to Horror #1

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 5, 2020

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

A little bit of spice goes...

a long way?: 1d6 3

I will feed Sliem this Spicy Garbage worth 3 Tricks.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

I, Zyxsas the final, add some Ginger Spice to this Haunted Terminal for +1:

Then we try to use Posh Spice to convert to Attitude.

Posh Spice: 1d6 3

Now we feed it to Cholmondeley.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

source

- Wait up little guy!

The perfect spot is as it always was. Full of pristine nothing. Riddled with precarious ledges to climb and ashen holes to dig.

- What's that you are gnawing on?

- Oh yuck its filthy!

Linolea lifts up the canister, Hopping Blorpus hangs on by it's jaws.

---

Back at home Linolea scrapes the goo from the toob into a bowl.

- Pour in... "one portion" of spice, add water "if needed", mix... "until suitable."

She squints at the fine print. The instructions leave room for interpretation.

Broken Canister, Implications -> Tricks lets ggggoooooo [TN 3]: 1d6 3

There is a lot of foam. In the bowl. On the floor. On the walls. The Hopping Blorpus loves it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"What's that you got there, Sprocket? What's that burned into the screen of that ancient DVice - 'ORE-gon Tra-eel Eye-Eye'? What's an ore gone?"

"Whatever. Bring it here and I'll dash a couple spices on that buncha junk. There's a good Sprocket!

"Wow, what a terrible wink you just made at me! We gotta up your Implication intake! Hmm..."

> Adding Ginger Spice to boost the Awe by +1
> Adding Posh Spice to convert the Awe to Attitude with +2 (TN 3): 1d6 1 - Failure!

"Oh no (I've never cooked before) was that too much? Well... let's see if he still likes it! Here you go Sprocket - din dins!"

> Feed result to Sprocket

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 6, 2020

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Balthazar Hemifinch and the Hroom
++=

Fuckin trash

Scary spicing a 2: 1d6 1

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

What do you have in your mouth? No. No! Put it down. I said put it down!

Meep consumes the Plush Horror.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Trik Fuckhead
"Time to feed the thing"

+
Trik roughly throws the poor critter into the mixing bowl and pours dumps the spice on top.
"Better eat that up, it's starting to smell"

Pek-Pek opens his mouth in resignation and swallows whole the mixing bowl and its contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

+

"Okay, Hee, here goes nothing. Let's rub some of this Scary Spice into the bone to start... gosh, it's, um, way too big... and then we can --"

"... you ate it? In one bite? How?"

Use Scary Spice to add +1 Implication, then feed the yard o' bone to Heliogabalus!