Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had this as a book on tape as a kid. Well, it was Robin Hood, at least. I know it wasn't the Disney Robin Hood, because I remember his death happening. Maid Marian was there, so it probably wasn't this version. I've long since forgotten the story except in broad strokes, so this is a perfect time to refresh myself.

e: The evolution of language is a pet subject of mine, and reading through this it's interesting to note things like "an" and "gin" which have all fallen under the umbrella of "if" these days. "Lusty" and "humming" are also adjectives that no longer apply to the subjects they're attached to. Well, lusty can be attached to a man, but not in the sense that is meant here, and I honestly have no idea what is meant by humming ale.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cobalt-60 posted:

I always thought that it was an ale that made your head hum; a reference to the glow of mild inebriation.

Makes sense, I'd forgotten that beer was rather more like a vaguely-alcoholic soup that you drank for preference because water generally wasn't safe. You'd even give it to kids. At least in the 15th century.

The bit about palmers (And also the hat with the shell) is interesting. You want to go on a pilgrimage to prove your piety, but with the lack of long-distance communication options, for all your neighbors know you could have just gone three towns over and spent a couple months drinking and whoring. Solution: Bring back souvenirs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That was where I got the info, yeah. I'm not like, an expert. On anything. I just have thousands of factoids that may or may not be inaccurate, outdated, or outright fabricated.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"An I not supply but one swordfyght, the goode folke shall bedeck me with cabbage."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unironically loving those villain names. That is some Phoenix Wright level poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I will always love a description or depiction of a good fair. My childhood summers were often spent traveling to renaissance or music festivals in my area. As boothies, even, my parents did psychic readings. Although me being like 8, I generally just wandered around (Usually ending up in the sound booth or watching the blacksmith or SCA practice), although sometimes I had my own business: Selling hand-tamed feral kittens. Fond memories of miniature catapults and craft-your-own-souvenir booths and half a cantaloupe with a scoop of ice cream in the middle. And Puff the Magic Dragon. For some reason, probably just low variety in those willing to work fairs up here, every fair had at least one performance by this folk duo that would always do a sing-along of Puff the Magic Dragon.

As far as competitions go, at the ren fairs there was usually a knife or axe-throwing act that would challenge people in the audience to best his accuracy. Sometimes you got someone pretty good at knife throwing up there. There was also a comedy chainsaw act I recall that would have a competition to see who could saw the most thin slices off a log in a set time. Although I can't remember if that was an internal contest or audience participation.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Making the sheriff promise not to prosecute them is a poor deal. You get some minor embarrassment from the Sheriff as he says it, but he'd quickly realize that hey, they're outlaws, you don't have to keep your word to an outlaw. Stretch their necks quick enough and they won't even be able to tell anyone you broke your oath.

On the topic of outlaws, up through at least the 14th century, outlaws who refused a summons to the king's justice would be labeled Caput lupinum, "wearing the head of a wolf." ""Wolfshead!" shall be cried against him, for that a wolf is a beast hated of all folk; and from that time forward it is lawful for anyone to slay him like a wolf."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Siivola posted:

If you're wondering why they hold their left hands up like that, that's how foil fencers stood in 1883. It doesn't make any sense for a story set in 1100 because the fencing lunge won't get invented for 400 years, but who cares it looks like a rad swordfight scene. You can tell Pyle knew how fencing is supposed to look like. Compare Little John's parry above to this dude in some kind of military fencing exhibition from 1873:

This sort of thing bothers me if I let it. On the one hand, historical accuracy should be portrayed as closely as possible, it's absurd for Arthurian knights to be going around on horseback in full plate with longswords and lances when Camelot, if it even existed, was sometime around the fall of Rome (When both horses and swords were tiny due to lack of husbandry and metalworking knowledge respectively). On the other hand, it's hard to get any information whatsoever about fighting styles back then, all the European martial arts manuals I'm finding with a quick scan of Wikipedia date from the 1400s or later, with only a few as early as the 1300s.

On the gripping hand, it is hella rad. I honestly wouldn't be completely opposed to a historical European action film where the brawling style is just recognizably Krav Maga or something.