Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've only gotten as far as the introduction of Alan a Dale (and thus haven't read the rest of the thread to avoid spoilers), but marking a question, how does the publication date of this story (or Pyle's other work) compare to the release of Pirates of Penzance? I'm thinking specifically of references to Caradoc.

edit: also holy poo poo Rejected of Men: A Story of To-day for botm please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In some ballads, yet another version of the character shows up under the name Gandelyn or Gamble Gold (you may have heard one of these, actually, as Child ballad 132, "Robin Hood and the Pedlar", was featured as a tavern song in Assasin's Creed: Black Flag).

Unfortunately this video is private. Also it's extremely unlikely anyone heard this song ingame; Assassin's Creed Black Flag was laid out/designed in such a way that players had little reason to soak in the atmosphere, and I suspect the tavern song selection was done poorly, as you'll only hear one or two songs in any tavern unless you stand there and wait for them to get to new ones (if this is a tavern track with a male singer, I think there's only one tavern with the male singer for all those songs in the game!)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've finally caught up, but I have nothing in particular to contribute to the awesome edifice of Alloy's effortposts. Many thanks for running this thread!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've finished and am looking forward to your breakdown of that very weird ending.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Face to its tail and legs tied under its belly just means facing backwards.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

drat, that tree's thicc

PS update the thread you coward

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But Robin respects the vow (and Robin has seen the King’s face already, at the parade! So this bit of deceit is necessary.)

It is precisely because Robin has seen the King's face already that this is necessary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Fantastic work, Alloy. This has been a fantastic BotM thread, very possibly the best ever. I'm really looking forward to the cultural history and context effortpost you've been talking about to round out this project and render it complete.

PS to what degree is Robin a Christ allegory at the end here

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 28, 2021