Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If I remember the Dumas correctly (had that as a kid), the focus of the story was on how Saxons were awesome and Normans were lovely.
Never heard of this version, looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find it kind of interesting how most of the encounters between the Merry Men and anyone else go: "Ho there, stout fellow! I like the cut of your jib, let's try to bash each other's skulls with quarterstaffs!"

Was there an action scene quota for the ballads or something? I understand it's heavily idealized but whenever two men meet it's always a)drinking, b)singing, c)fighting, d)all of the above. Being a children's book from the 1880s, I'm kind of surprised it lacks a didactic message.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 9, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The descriptions of places are really great; they just make me want to sit down under yon greenwood tree and watch merry folk pass by.
Okay, that might be just reading it while at work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt-60 posted:

For someone who claims to hate Robin Hood, the Sheriff keeps going into Sherwood Forest alone quite often.
Well, he likes hunting and hawking. Also, he's not exactly smart which really isn't a surprise for a character that exists just so he can be pranked by the Merry Men.

Dumas (as well as most film adapations, methinks) turns him (along with the Bishop of Hereford) into a scheming villain, but from what I've read of Pyle so far, the Sheriff seems more of a bumbling bureaucrat. He's even introduced asking the King to help him do his King-given job.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Please keep diving, it's super interesting and leads to some really cool asides. Robin Hood: came for the robbery, stayed for the cheese.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've finished the book, I just don't have much to add to the discussion or your - frankly fascinating - effort posts. I think my favorite part of this thread was learning that the Sheriff of Nottingham got his own line in the Magna Carta.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I find the treatment of the royalty in Robin Hood canon - today the most common opinion seems to be that the Robin Hood stories take place during the reign of Richard I, providing a convenient villain in the unpopular Prince John (I assume Ivanhoe is to blame, but the depiction is further reinforced by movies) but they only really show up at the end in Pyle who has most of it take place during the reign of Henry II - who, for all the influence Pyle has on the modern treatment of Robin Hood, seems to have entirely vanished from the more recent adaptations.

One can see why they did that - the stories moving to film which benefits from having a single villain the audience can properly hate throughout two hours or so, but it's a bit of a shame and King Henry seems to be less shallow, motivated by his short temper and capable of changing his mind as opposed to cartoonish villainy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I would assume the chapteris placed where it is within the book for a more gradual tone switch in preparation for the ending. This is the first time Robin has killed someone since his self-inflicted exile into Sherwood and it is a grim tale.

In retrospect, and having read the rest of the book, all the staff-fighting makes a lot of sense - there is a definite message of things going horribly wrong once Robin starts killing people.