Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Yeah, I think Pokemon Pinball was enhanced for GBC but not exclusive to it, so it'd just be in black-and-white if you played it on the old grey brick. Pretty sure that's what I played it on.

Makes sense that you'd want to stick to games with a start and finish, hopefully we'll see some gator-themed pinball in a bonus episode then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Baby T-Rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-z7zfH2gY

Congratulations, team! We made it to the final screen flicker episode! The reptile block continues with the shadow of Sneaky Snakes looming over us, as we tackle the somewhat strange title of Baby T-Rex. It's a strange case of an actually wholesome motive behind a simple sprite swap, which gives it plenty of bonus points as is in my book. So much so that I am genuinely envious of this collection despite the game itself not being all that memorable.

I'd kill for a copy of the unreleased Edd the Duck, though. Here's the full resolution version of the article previewing it, with enough smarm to make ACE blush!

Snake count: 6

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Baby Rex, doo doo doo... Nope, not the same. :D

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Action Shakespeare posted:

I'd kill for a copy of the unreleased Edd the Duck, though.

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1304468630122516481

Well, poo poo, does this mean I have to kill someone??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think this one's the first one that I wasn't aware of in the slightest (or at least something in its franchise). I guess technically I know about We're Back but I never knew it got a game release. What an oddball history.

Anyways this one just looks painful, kinda like trying to play Sonic with the screen zoomed in by 50%. Probably no wonder this didn't make it to major recognizable status on the system.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Tail 'Gator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrIx7mtCWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUoR_uhH5Mw

Tail Gator! A new age of good video has arrived, and brought with it a new era of audio futzing. It's not too bad but it's certainly one of those hindsight things that drives me up the wall. This game is honestly lovely, if not a little long in the tooth (haw). It kind of drove us immediately insane once again, but that might have just been runoff from Sneaky Snakes still poisoning our brains. I wish there was more to say on it! Natsume is pretty prolific but the documentation on smaller games like this just does not exist in many cases, and that can be a little disheartening. Digging up these games can provide so many fun insights into design from back in the day and when you hit a dead end it's just a bummer.

PublicOpinion put the challenge out to see just what people would artistically interpret this thing as, though. I encourage everyone to try it out! I know I will.

Snake count: 7

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This game is cute, if maybe a little repetitive

The boss sprites are exceptional

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Myself and a couple of pals are answering the artistic challenge of interpreting our little ghost girl sprite!

My entry:

Beedrops:

A third secret friend also took a crack at it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I started that and forgot to finish.

I guess I got the ghost part right but couldn't see the back as anything other than one of those ginormous hiking backpacks. Which I guess I don't know is wrong since I'm still behind on the videos.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I also went with ghost, specifically one of my OCs who i thought the sprite kinda looked like.

Her name's Pommel, i tweaked her a little to match the sprite more but still.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Ghost lady was my first thought but I could also see it as a mouth with two buck teeth and a weird triple tongue.

I have illustrated this via a very bad MSPaint; trust me when I say that I'm so bad at drawing that using any other medium would have only slightly better results.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Having little artistic ability but liking a challenge, I decided to go with yet another oblong object that this ghost/wraith could be carrying, namely a coffin on their back.

Tried to clean up my scribbles a bit but eh, I'm not going to pretend I had any idea what I was doing :v:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I sincerely hope Buff Frog is official art.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally getting around to the actual game, another one I haven't seen but it actually looks...not that bad? Good music, simple but decent playstyle, and they hit a nice clean art style that fits within the GameBoy's limits. But that cover art... :yikes:

Also I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me you're not attacking hapless ghost backpackers :colbert:

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I sincerely hope Buff Frog is official art.

I'm afraid like so many things in my brain, it's Touhous. v :v: v

All of this art is so great though! Thank you for these beautiful visions! Even the mouth! :swoon:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I'm bad at thread participation, but I'm here now, and I'm posting my drawing of the Little Ghost Girl!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Godzilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dgE-e4_X4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp4twGxQDzk

It's time to close out the reptile block with the biggest and baddest reptile I know! Godzilla, I feel, is one of the quintessential licensed Game Boy game experiences: a well known figure supplied in a surprising medium. While, contextually, it makes a fair amount of sense to have a Godzilla game look like this, I have to imagine the surprise many children felt as they booted this one up for the first time. I certainly was floored the first time I discovered it. Godzilla has a lot of elements many other games we've disliked so far feature, but in a package we can actually enjoy. I'm not entirely sure why, but something about the game just has a little more polish and care for the player built in? Hell, there's even love in the code of the game! What I'm saying is Godzilla is about love.

Also this magazine ad owns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well now I feel silly because I tried playing this last year and couldn't figure out how to get past the first level.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

We might have wound up liking it a lot less if we weren't playing with a guide for the route to take.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Kirby's Dream Land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeKDtIbQETg

Here we are! The big one-oh! Kirby's Dream Land is a wonderful title and it feels like I have so much to say about it and truly nothing at all simultaneously. This is one of those titles I played to death on my Game Boy Pocket, though it would be several years until I learned about Kirby's now iconic copy ability. To me, he was perfect only as a hungry boy and only n64 titles like smash and Kirby 64 could tell me otherwise. Even after all the success of this franchise, though, I still can't help but admire its simple roots. Kirby is most certainly a key part of my love for this monochrome system that goes on even to this day.

A lil bit of extra history that I couldn't fit in the video: Kirby's original ability was going to be kicking and headbutting enemies like a soccer ball. To go along with the philosophy of making the game accessible to anyone, Sakurai came up with Kirby's ability to float endlessly and not be conquered by pits. The idea of Kirby sucking a bunch of air to do so, naturally lead to changing from headbutts to sucking in enemies as well.

Development for the game was on a Twin Famicom system that had no implementation of a physical keyboard. All code had to be entered manually using a track ball and an on screen keyboard. While cumbersome to work with, the kit allowed the game's data processing load to be easily streamlined, leading to smooth animations.

Finally, while I didn't complete it within the original video itself, as luck would have it I did happen to recently stream all of Kirby's Dream Land on hard mode! Just me on commentary for this one and there's a lot of me crying, but it's all there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhDdIs11Zw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh man, what an absolute banger. This was maybe the first video game I ever played?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, Kirby's Dream Land.

One of the first games I had, I played this one way too much as a kid and I probably know all of the secrets, even those you missed.

First off, in Stage 2, when that tomato appeared on top of the ? mark block - yeah it just seems to appear when you stand in that specific spot. No other ? mark blocks do anything, it's not a Mario game.

Also, you can defeat one of the cannons in Stage 2. If you stand in a cannon with an invincibility candy for like 15 seconds or whatever it'll die.

You missed three secrets in Stage 4 (unless you showed them off in that hard mode playthrough, haven't watched that yet).

The first one is in the "cloud maze" screen just before Kracko Jr. You can take a left there and beyond the little pool, if you go all the way into the corner, there's a secret door (there's nothing indicating that it's there) that takes you to a screen with a 1UP and some health-ups, before you go to the miniboss. IMO it's slightly easier to navigate than the normal route.
Edit: I see you found that one in the hard mode playthrough. In case you were wondering: the 1up is just off the bottom of the screen, just before the exit door. You have to float down a little to see it.

The second is minor: in the long corridor with all the destructible blocks and the two gaps in the floor, just before the end you can jump up through a pillar and make your way all the way back to the left on top of the corridor. If you do so, a 1UP appears.

And finally - although this one is quite well known and has been reused in many other Kirby games, so I was surprised to see you skip it - the moon in the room just before Kracko himself is a secret door. Once again it takes you to a room with some 1UPs and stuff.

You did find all of the major secrets in all other areas though.

Also, yup, the Gordos protecting the doors instakill you. The ones in earlier stages only take away 3 health. It is possible to get through the doors without getting the Kirby using some frame-perfect stuff. I've seen speedrunners do that.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 2, 2020

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Good gravy, and here I thought I actually knew this game. I think I got one of those in the hard mode run, but mostly out of necessity. :psyduck:

For the purposes of an LP, I suppose I don't have any regrets, though! For a game as intentionally simple as Kirby's Dream Land, it's very cool to get an insight on how much they packed in anyways!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kirby going from a handheld platformer into a decently popular franchise for Nintendo is always a neat series of events. I played a lot of Dream Land on my Game Boy and later borrowed a Friend's copy of 2 when that came out, without knowing about basically any other Kirby games in-between so I didn't know about the power copying thing originating from Adventure, nor did I actually seem to question why Kirby had gone from being a white marshmallow into a pink one according to cover art (and that one ad for the game)

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Showcase #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BPaRnmieTI

Hey everybody! Now that we hit the ten entry mark, it's time for our first official interlude! My main philosophy for this series is to play 50 games with concrete starts and ends, but the Game Boy has so many other things to offer! A wide variety of genres and styles were featured on the hand held system, taking advantage of its portability to provide bite sized experiences suitable for playing on the go. Sure, they're not very deep, but they are still important! Many of the games in this particular video hold a small place in my heart. Some were gifts, some were closely tied to friends, and others were just good-rear end games. All of which shaped the nostalgia I hold to this day, even if some of the games are objectively...lacking.

This particular block features both arcade ports and puzzle games featured on the Game Boy, including the grand daddy of them all: Tetris. There's a LOT to say about Tetris, and admittedly it could have occupied its own segment in itself, but the long and short of it was that the people getting Nintendo the rights to this game knew exactly what they had on their hands. Several legal disputes of dubious moral standing across multiple countries were enacted to make sure the game was bundled with the Game Boy. Instead of Super freakin Mario! Tetris was the biggest of deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQtxKmgJC8

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I played Tetris a lot when I had a GameBoy. I am not ashamed of this. I had few better waste some time games. Still find myself humming the theme and remembering the commercial with the grumpy Russian bears. You can’t reflect on the GameBoy era without mentioning Tetris. Even now I want to get an app for it on my phone.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tetris was the perfect pack-in game for the Game Boy. Could play it in short bursts, had endless replay value, and had wide appeal to everyone. My older brother who basically never played videogames was super into Tetris and would always play it whenever he was around and could borrow my Game Boy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tetris is great and perfect as an iconic pack-in game, but Tetris Attack is better :ssh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tetris is great and perfect as an iconic pack-in game, but Tetris Attack is better :ssh:
Quoted for truth. :hai:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Very few games have the longevity and the reach of Tetris, it really is an all-timer.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXhUvx5u4LI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nigfKrbKs4E

Hello everyone! Every week I'm going to start rolling out the uncut stream archives for each 50 Shades of Grayscale session. Admittedly, the first few are not going to be incredibly different, but as time goes on there will be quite the hefty batches of footage to peruse, with all the delirium of tackling an overly challenging game you might expect! I will be doing a group of however many videos happened per session, per week, so for short game entries you'll probably get two videos! Exciting!

This is going to also be my one plug usage, as I am releasing all sessions a week early over on My Patreon so if you like being on the cutting edge of this nonsense by all means throw a couple bucks in there!

EDIT: i also spruced up the table of contents! hope you like it!

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 14, 2020

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Looney Tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBPsZdQi6d4

Welcome back, everybody! A new themed block is upon us, and it was (somewhat hastily) decided to be the Warner Bros block! This, of course, means we're going to for the most part be experiencing titles from developers Sunsoft. Sunsoft is a bit of an interesting "company" with an interesting lineage. Namely in how much of it is just adaptations and ports? Even as recent as 2018, Sunsoft has been handling ports for titles like Obduction, and even releasing games on the Switch! A quiet constant in the industry.

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 5, 2021

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Looney Tunes. Love their cartoons, mostly. Never played their games. Not sure why, exactly. Maybe because one is so much more formulaic than the other and thus loses appeal.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm sure this is a conversation that happens on r/mandelaeffect or whatever at least once a week but regardless: Wait, it's Looney Tunes??

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I'm sure this is a conversation that happens on r/mandelaeffect or whatever at least once a week but regardless: Wait, it's Looney Tunes??

Always has been.

Edit: Let's not keep it to a meme - I mean I get it's a weird name and you'd expect it to be Toons.

But have you literally never looked at the logo at the start of any episode?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
They're the humorous counterpart to Merrie Melodies.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Nidoking posted:

They're the humorous counterpart to Merrie Melodies.

:eng101: Fun fact! Looney Tunes actually appeared (by name) before Merrie Melodies. Merrie Melodies were originally a project that, under studio obligation, had to feature Warner Bros owned songs. Over time, the Looney Tunes we know began to take root, being featured in both Looney Tunes shorts as well as Merrie Melodies, steadily blurring the line until it was basically meaningless.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Carbon dioxide posted:

Always has been.

Edit: Let's not keep it to a meme - I mean I get it's a weird name and you'd expect it to be Toons.

But have you literally never looked at the logo at the start of any episode?

It doesn't help that Tiny Toon Adventures uses Toon and not Tune.

Also Tetris was great and I played it all the time on road trips. I think the farthest I got was level 24 where it's just a blur.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

CannonFodder posted:

It doesn't help that Tiny Toon Adventures uses Toon and not Tune.

Also Tetris was great and I played it all the time on road trips. I think the farthest I got was level 24 where it's just a blur.

You know what, I watched way more Tiny Toons as a kid than I did Looney Tunes. That's probably it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDww_xVoAYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVVo5FfRXqk

Howdy folks! It's time for another uncut session posting! Another double feature, but probably the last one for a while. Things got a lot longer from this point onward. Enjoy the descent into madness!

Also, happy birthday to Super Mario Land 2! Not to mention our boy Wario. Truly a momentous day in Game Boy history.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1318748845275287562