Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just got to the part where you get both characters to use and the whole thing just seems solid as hell, I can't believe how much this thing seems like a complete unknown. The only bad part is the constant use of the same background music, which I expect will drive me insane before the video ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Played this a bit when I went through all the games in the Player's Guide (this was one of the games in the back index), admittedly I don't think I understood it too well even though it had a neat concept.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2_fCI8x8E

Another one for the uncut vault! The Gargoyle's Quest was long, but we...were longer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Favorite Ed Asner one liner- Veteran Gargoyles know how to wait. :)

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepGB9V2o60

Welcome back to the dungeon of puzzles, everyone! No amount of sand or rocks could keep us from OUR happy end, and you are no different! Fight on, brave viewer, for there are only eight more games to go! The rest should be short, right? :v:

Wordse did mention crafting a Cat Rap for Catrap but he has yet to record it. Stay tuned on any potential updates. If nothing else, we have notes to share!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More Catrap :woop:

Honestly it just seems neat enough that I'm constantly surprised it didn't become a big-name game.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5v6VMawwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irWAIBPotYo

Another back to back set of uncuts! Watch as I shatter everyone's expectations, then proceed to do entirely average at the next task! So it goes in these things.

Also enjoy a special sneak preview:

https://twitter.com/thatgalinthehat/status/1473070557272756227

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Final Fantasy Adventure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGq0-BMsmo

Welcome back and happy holidays everyone! I got an entry for you that's bound to overstuff your stocking: Square's highly successful spinoff Final Fantasy Adventure! The beginnings of the Mana series have a layered history of their own, and I did my best to cover it all in the video itself. That said, I had to source a lot of materials from the fine folks at Lost Media Wiki and Legends of Localization. I can never undersell how excited I am to see some proper archived history when doing my research. This game is STACKED with lore and future big names alike. It's pretty insane to have such a hyped release be entirely wiped out of production. I wonder if any bits of the original concept got morphed into other things?

Until next time!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJj3oM-yM8

Wow I COMPLETELY neglected to post the latest uncut entry! Well, here ya go folks. Enjoy the long trek to the devil himself. See ya tomorrow!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjt5Qxl-VVM

Part two of Final Fantasy Adventure is officially live! The saga of BOFA involves a lot of things. Falling, snakes, pathos, falling...but our hardened hero keeps finding ways tog et back up. I genuinely would love to know his secret! Anyways, as previously alluded to, we finally get to bump up the snake count! A HAPPY NEW YEAR INDEED.

Snake Count: 27

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
This game is possibly my favourite Game Boy game of all; although I wonder if the lack of mention in Ace magazine (or whichever one it is) is because in the UK it was released as Mystic Quest rather than Final Fantasy Adventure?

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC58rt-QrkI

Quick lil post of the uncut I forgot to put out.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWALrrd-4Aw

Welcome back tot he grand finale of Final Fantasy Adventure! Thrill as the tragedy keeps on piling, filling the world with a dire post-apocalypse. But hey, at least we get a chocobo love story. Yayyyy. :smithicide:

To add to the tragedy, I'm also here to let you know that updates will be put on hold for a couple weeks. It'll be over before you know it though! See ya then.

Snake Count: 29

Zaroff posted:

This game is possibly my favourite Game Boy game of all; although I wonder if the lack of mention in Ace magazine (or whichever one it is) is because in the UK it was released as Mystic Quest rather than Final Fantasy Adventure?

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 18, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbCoD8FUyP0

The hiatus draws to a close with another UNCUT entry! Experience the highs and lows of finding very stupid images, followed by getting uncomfortably heated discussing Kingdom Hearts. You're welcome, and also I am sorry!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Mole Mania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_Ehl9_zck

We are finally back in action with a brand new episode! Can you dig it, sucka? I sure hope you can because we're gonna be here for a while. In an act of true ignorance towards pacing, I have slotted THREE long video games in a row for this block. So grab some cabbages, hug your family, and strap in for some PUZZLES. Fun fact: Sakurai wanted Muddy Mole in Brawl back in the day! I'm sad we never got so much as an assist trophy, but at least we got a nice render of Muddy as a spirit. So that's something.

Small bit of history to accompany this: on the road to Mole Mania's release, Nintendo Power was absolutely convinced Muddy's name was Digger D. Whether this was a misconception or a last minute change, there's supposedly still a portion of people who just fully assume that's the canon name. Weird!

ALSO: there's no official boss portraits past the first three and Jinbe, so the crew and I decided to draw our own! Here's a full res version of my take on MAD WRENCHER:

Snake count: 30

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 18, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QWxjWrcLxw

gently caress the robo ghost xenomorph all my homies hate the robo ghost xenomorph

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3vFTyvTCg

Please enjoy another part of Mole Mania, in which we discuss such topics as: puppy chow, Smurfs, narrow hips, old forum rp, the meat bear, euphemisms for killing, Raid: Shadow Legends, Saw makeovers, Tarzan's immortality, Batman Beyond, and frog asses.

ALSO FEATURED: beautiful boss art by our very own Beedrops and PublicOpinion!

Action Shakespeare fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 12, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipV_BogyKcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AApV0uzbyIA

It's time for more UNCUT entries! This time featuring a run of a game that's barely distinguishable from the edited version, and a run where the entire back end was cut! Funny how that works.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPEpntQBUs8

It's time to dig our way to a conclusion. The culmination of another 15 hours of gameplay, cut down to the 9-10 range. I'm never doing another puzzle game ever again, so long as I live. At least this one had charm.

One last member contributed art for the road! This one from Wordse! I think everyone on board did an amazing job capturing that old Nintendo manual style for these images. I am quite lucky to have the friends that I do, truly and genuinely.

See you next week for one more sequel of a previous entry!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-_FnkW6NTo

BEHOLD the true capacity of bullshit that goemon threw at us!!!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xARpSeP5Dqk

WAHAHelcome back folks to another monumental entry for the series! 43 episodes in the making, we finally tackle the third entry of SUPER MARIO LAND, and truly its end as it metamorphosed into something much different. Wario truly came into his own going forward, occupying the portable sector for years to come. There were allegedly plans to make a new Super Mario Land for the Virtual Boy, but in the end Wario was chosen as a less tarnishable property for the experimental system.

As a lil bonus, here's a pre-release advertisement from Japan, with an alternate title! (and also an ad for kirby pinball)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man this is one of the weirdest Nintendo swerves, just kind of co-opting an existing franchise to launch a whole new series based on a rando villain from the last game. I mean, I like it, but still.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man this is one of the weirdest Nintendo swerves, just kind of co-opting an existing franchise to launch a whole new series based on a rando villain from the last game. I mean, I like it, but still.

Honestly it was a pretty inspired move as it allowed them to continue to innovate mechanics through Wario that, were it still a mario series, might seem out of place

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
This is another one of the games I actually played as a kid, and I'm pretty sure at the time I had no idea about how Wario entered the franchise or anything about the previous Mario Lands. Don't think I ever beat it, there's a distinct possibility I only got it as a rental.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Honestly it was a pretty inspired move as it allowed them to continue to innovate mechanics through Wario that, were it still a mario series, might seem out of place

Oh yeah, I can appreciate it now. But as a kid, I didn't know what to make of it, I just wanted another Mario game dangit! :arghfist:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Wario Land is one of my favorite games of all time. Hell yeah.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I can appreciate it now. But as a kid, I didn't know what to make of it, I just wanted another Mario game dangit! :arghfist:

Wario Land was one of those series I saw as a kid but always out of reach. It gained some vaguely mythical quality to me, and added its own to Super Mario Land 2. This minor obsession is probably why this lets play series exists, honestly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think Wario Land 2 and 3 had a very interesting gimmick with Wario not being able to die and making that somehow work really well. Sad they never brought that back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
WLSML3 loving rules. My parents got me this game as a reward for learning how to ride a bike, one entry in a long line of them bribing me to perform various feats of physical prowess.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always feel like the two man character traits of Wario under Yokoi were
1. Is an absolute unit.
2. Is a greedy bastard.

If I was asked to make future Wario games, I'd honestly lean into him being a unit and do something like Guacamelee but Mario instead of Metroidvania. Not to knock on the Warioware games, but always felt that he didn't fit them. If anything, given that Waluigi is canonically just some weirdo who 'just kind of showed up one day' and also only really appears in sidegames, it makes much more sense for Waluigi to have Warioware style games.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBSlUBcCIE

Plugging along with another UNCUT entry. Enjoy the full debate of beef and chicken, and probably some dinosaurs or something!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Currently halfway through the Link's Awakening videos but there is indepth philosophical discussion of nicktoons right now and that is completely my Jam, so here are my observations on Rocko's Modern Life.

I got around to rewatching it a couple of years ago and it really stood out how scathing it really is, but in a less obvious way than Invader Zim (I consider the two shows two sides of a coin, both critiquing capitalism but Zim being a pessimistic view of how capitalism destroys people while Rocko is a more optimistic view).

O-Town is a capitalist hellscape that has destroyed everything it touches. Everyone there is miserable because of Conglom-O's influence but all are so used to it that they haven't really noticed, or have become part of the problem. It avoids the Zootopia problem too because it's predators and prey. EVERYONE in o-town is both simultaneously, in the ultimate expression of a Dog-Eat-Dog world. The very first gag in the show is a chicken hiring another at their chain restaurant, only for that employee to become the meal. It's not just people eating chicken because people eat chicken irl, the chickens are selling each other TO the other people. It also works in reverse too, some characters who are nominally predators, like the Woolf family, have actually taken habits from their youngest son Heffer. They initially adopted him to fatten him up and eat him, they do literally admit that IIRC but they grew attached to him and so kept him as a son, but look at how they treat their elders. Each member of the family chews his food for him in turn. Pre-chewing is a common thing for elderly people certainly, but the multiple stages may have been learned from Heffer - they are chewing their grandfather's cud.

Also it's obvious throughout the show from the start that the government has long since been privatised, as the O-Town mall in the second episode is built in the middle of a national forest. They companies won so hard that they are allowed to build on federally protected land.

Also, while there are bad people in O-Town a lot of their problems come from the society they live in. Rocko's normally the kindest person in the city, but if you target someone he personally cares about, or drive him into a corner he will LASH the gently caress out, as seen in his struggles with the mean dog in Garbage Day (he doesn't win until Spunky is threatened) or his failure to get groceries during the 99% off deal causing him to abuse the cashier, who will eventually become one of his best friends. But he is not in the mood to be patient as he's basically starving to death. Because he's new he's also susceptible to suggestion, leading him to be easily scammed or trapped in toxic thought processes that make him hurt his friends.

Similarly, Heffer is actually quite dilligent when he wants to be, and falls to sloth when feeling helpless or discouraged. It takes him a while to mature and he is pretty unpleasant early on but he has some really heartbreaking moments where he really tries, but something just turns out too much for him, whether it's his fear of the dark causing him to flame out as a security guard, or a toxic roommate causing his first attempt at independence to completely fall apart, keeping him awake so long his can't concentrate on his restaurant chain causing it to close down, and resulting in one of the most depressing moments of the show, him on the phone to his mother, his mouth saying how well he's doing living alone while his body slips into a fugue state and walks him all the way back home, where he gives up harder than he ever has before. It's not until he gets a job that allows him to work whiel living with his parents that he finds balance, being the most diligent person in the post office and excelling at that job, becoming his best possible self.

The final member of the trio Filbert radiates confidence when in his element, but often isn't allowed to be there. He's a turtle FORCED into his shell He feels pressured into a family business as a dentist and is only freed of that when he completely fails his dentist exam and is forced to find a new calling. He's a great lounge singer but is afraid to practice publically until he is encouraged to make a debut and kills it. He also has an interesting relationship with Dr Hutchinson because it's allowed to breathe and it feels very real. Instead of jumping into a romance once she's no longer his invigilator, he actually turns down her initial offer of a date because he's depressed about failing his exam and needs some time to feel that, which she completely understands. There is also a really neat subplot in the episode of the show where Fil has to marry rocko so that he can stay in the country due to a mixup with his green card where you see how badly it's effecting him and Hutchinson - they keep seeing each other, knowing that their relationship is on hold but that it's still as strong as ever. Never is she angry with him or judgemental, she understands that his friend is in very current danger and needs help even though it's killing both of them that they can't be together til the situation is resolved.

Then we have the main antagonist of the show Mr Bighead. He is a good person deep down, embittered by a terrible job that has stamped the life out of him. His marriage is collapsing because he's lost his energy and virility, he has no real friends because he can't bring himself to let them in, and his daughter has distanced herself from him because he wouldn't accept her life as a cartoonist (Rachel was revealed as trans in the newest special on Netflix, so I'm using their current pronouns, initially the show just treated them as a boy). It's mainly through Rocko's influence that he's able to pull his head out of his rear end, because Rocko shows him very directly that his wife is seeking a relationship outside of their marriage and that if he's not careful he WILL lose her completely, and he helps Rachel and Ed reconcile as well in both the original show and in the newer special.

Even at his job you see how capitalism destroys people when he gets promoted out of his comfort zone. The initial paperwork he's asked to look over is ludicrous, an absolutely enormous stack of financial questions that the executives are stumped on regarding tax brackets and things that Ed only survives due to a magic 8/meatball helping him guess the answers. As he keeps impressing though he becomes dependent on the meatball. The final thing he is asked, the breaking point, shows how badly his promotions have no only distanced himself from his employees but also reality itself. It's a very simple, single question that he agonises on for hours despite it's simplicity - should we increase employee parking? Yes or No. And he cannot answer it. His brain is fried due to a dependancy he's developed on a toy and he just... breaks. The only time he's able to actually succeed it's when he's so badly broken he can't even leave his bed, so Bev does in his stead, going to fill in for him, and she owns in the role. Because she's not been worn down she has the confidence to be more than just a yes man, actually making some (small but meaningful) changes that at least make the bosses more efficient, then taking her husband on a well earned vacation.

TLDR summary of all these points. Hell is not described as other people. Hell is what happens when people are left in isolation and allowed to settle into toxic situations whether it's struggling alone or with a family that is stagnating. Hell is isolation and echo chambers. HEAVEN is other people. The characters do their best work when they have the support of others or when they band together to force a change. It's saying certainly, capitalism has become so all encompassing that we may never escape it, but as long as we stick together we can survive it.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmd7YiFHpLA

The thrilling and bounteous conclusion of WARIO LAND is here. Go for the gold as we power through group sickness to do this episode for some goddamn reason?? I don't know what possessed us to actually power through so I hope you enjoy our loopy energy for most of this. I hope you also enjoy multiple endings! I hope you also also enjoy sexy Wario fanart!! Apologies if you hate every single one of these things.

:eyepop:
This was NOT what I expected to wake up to yesterday. Delightful read.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Action Shakespeare posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmd7YiFHpLA

The thrilling and bounteous conclusion of WARIO LAND is here. Go for the gold as we power through group sickness to do this episode for some goddamn reason?? I don't know what possessed us to actually power through so I hope you enjoy our loopy energy for most of this. I hope you also enjoy multiple endings! I hope you also also enjoy sexy Wario fanart!! Apologies if you hate every single one of these things.

:eyepop:
This was NOT what I expected to wake up to yesterday. Delightful read.

I'm glad you enjoyed my musings :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
On the topic of weird burlesque, a buddy of mine has cameo'd as Beast a couple of times in his friend's X-men themed burlesque show (routine?)

Anyway, dope game. I forgot how much money you get from each treasure! I was going to bring up the debug mode if you didn't find it before the end of the game, shout out to Nintendo Power for teaching me that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 6, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

C-Euro posted:

On the topic of weird burlesque, a buddy of mine has cameo'd as Beast a couple of times in his friend's X-men themed burlesque show (routine?)

This sounds sick as hell, and now I have to know: 90s animated series theme or anime theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

This sounds sick as hell, and now I have to know: 90s animated series theme or anime theme?

I unfortunately never saw it performed, but based on the ages of everyone involved I think 90s X-men sounds right? AFAIK he was not asked to dye his body hair blue for said performances, so I think there were a number of artistic liberties at play.

E: forgot to mention how much I enjoyed your "just call me Mr. World-WAAAA" joke at the end.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 7, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This has been an interesting thread for me btw because it sort of matches my own philosophy although for different reasons. When I try a new/old game for the first time I never ask "Is this game good?" because that's kind of a boring question. A game can be mechanically solid but have a dull setting, or a game can be awkward but have interesting enough aspects that you can see where it's coming from and appreciate what it's TRYING to do. My question is always more "Does the game succeed at what it's trying to convey, whether wonky about it or not?" If so I can forgive bad mechanics because it's sparked my curiosity. Three ps2 games come to mind as they all convey the idea of teamwork in very unique and interesting ways, namely "The Plan", "Prisoner of War" and "Project Eden" (although I haven't beaten that second one because it's very intense and I'll need to be in the right headspace for it. It's cool though, trying to be realistic about escaping german pow camps that get increasingly complex and have certain rules you have to follow so the Germans don't figure out that you are up to something)

Also just assuming a game will be bad because of reviews being poor is super limiting. When I bought the Green Lantern 360 game, the person in the store warned me he'd heard it was bad, but when I played it it actually turned out not to be. They'd just assumed it was bad because it was based off of a less than popular movie, but it goes in completely it's own direction and is very charming. I also tend not to listen to reviews because reviews are unreliable and often make stupid errors, the most annoying being a text review of the Bolt video game which had one of the stupidest complaints ever (namely Travolta not reprising his role.) That is a stupid complaint because in the universe of Bolt, BOLT DOESN'T TALK. That is a contrivance for the movie so that we can understand his mindset and character arc more clearly. In the universe of the movie and even in the TV show that the character stars in Bolt is just a normal dog who happens to have superpowers, Penny even has to instruct him using normal commands like "Speak" and "go play" (the latter being used in the game for doing recon/running interference). The game is basically you playing through a season of the TV show, and it's actually really fun with a funny framing device of Rhino watching the show in the background and commenting when you pause the game/when he pauses the dvd.

Then there are games that start out not on their best foot but develop in fun ways like the Over the Hedge game, which people say is bad because the characters move somewhat slowly and the combat is a bit simple, but the game has an amazing spectacle because after the first three levels it completely abandons the movie and just goes completely insane, with a plot involving the animal control company literally mind controlling animals and some really fun levels like raiding a carnival (half the levels are the animals getting new stuff for their clearing to upgrade it, like a projector from the suburbs so they can watch movies and they raid the carnival for a cotton candy and a popcorn machine.) which ends with a totally insane boss fight, and the game even has Vincent (the bear that acts as the game's antagonist) join the crew because he wants to help mess up the company, which results in some writing that's genuinely funnier than the movie itself was able to pull off.

Because you are forcing yourself to finish a lot of these games that otherwise you may have given up on, you seem to be developing a similar kind of affinity for what they are trying to be despite how good or bad the actual mechanics are and I appreciate that.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U_89FoAuK0

This is the uncut Turok footage where we talk about terrible injuries! Consider that a content warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Showcase #5: Modern Game Boy Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PtdKIWmfs

SURPRISE! We're hitting you with one more big showcase! With how this entire project came to be, and how much I sell the influence of the Game Boy, I'd be remiss not to include a segment on the world of modern Game Boy titles! Demakes of all shapes and sizes are fairly popular (Bloodborne for PSX is dope), but the modern Game Boy scene has a life to it that I haven't seen too many match, most likely spurred on by the ease of access supplied by GBStudio.

This showcase features a variety of game types, from demakes of modern titles, original titles that capture the incredibly green spirit of the original portable system, and even romhacks! Speaking of which, I'd be remiss not to doubly point out the rad boxart done by Ian JQ for the Crazy Castle hack. Amazing work!

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1352298003936157699

All the games featured are linked in the description, so please consider supporting the creators! See you next time!