Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't seen them all yet, but there's definitely some interesting stuff here. I find demakes/retro-esque games a bit hit or miss in the style they're going for in general, but tying it to such a distinct, limited design style like the Gameboy makes a lot of them more interesting. So far, I found ones like Shootris that both look and play like they could be something on the system the most interesting. The Smash Bros one isn't grabbing me so much, it's neat enough visually but it looks like it wouldn't *feel* so much like anything actually on the system. That's just from watching a little bit of the gameplay though, so not a deep judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Still catching up, but I have a question for ActionShakespeare - have you ever played Pandora's Tower on the wii? It's a really interesting game although the US version has a chance of becoming unbeatable because of a glitch in the final levels (I say levels because they are intertwined, the final two towers are actually one level) that I was unaffected by due to playing the EU version due to being in the UK. It does an interesting job of having the goal be "save the princess/priestess" without the priestess Elena becoming a damsel in distress, in that while she can't fight she helps you by learning ancient languages at the home base so she can translate the lore documents that you find in the tower. Also while you unlock costumes for her, you don't end up playing dress up with her as that would be weird. The outfits actually go into a rotation, kind of an offscreen wardrobe that each day Elena picks from herself and wears whichever outfit she feels like putting on, and they are all tasteful, at least the ones I found.

I also like that while the bosses are technically gendered in that there are two sets of elemental towers, one lorded over by a god and one by a goddess, they are so inhuman that it's hard to tell visually, and when their is a tell it isn't because the goddess has giant boobs, it's subtler, like the second water boss is the water goddess and if you screw up her pattern you reveal her face which resets that phase (she's kind of a giant armoured jellyfish) and the face does have generally feminine features even though they are distorted beyond recognition. It's a more interesting way of showing the differences because you really have to pay attention to see any vestige of the human that the boss may have used to be.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 12, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

BioEnchanted posted:

Pandora's Tower

Can't say I have! Any reason you ask?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Action Shakespeare posted:

Can't say I have! Any reason you ask?

It's an interesting game with fun mechanics that avoids a lot of problems that games have with portrayals of women (no oversexualised outfits, Elena chooses what to wear so it feels more natural, and she does everything she can to help in the quest, even if some of it happens to be domestic like learning to cook and decorating the lighthouse. She's not doing it because she's a woman, she's doing it because the main character spends all his time in the tower fighting monsters so she can eat their flesh to stave off the curse, and since they are living in that lighthouse for months by the end of the game she wants to make it feel more like a home.) The biggest problem it has besides one boss sucking (the second plant boss is SUCH a pain in the rear end) is that due the unique designs of the final set of towers they can break the US version of the game, although there are workarounds that apparently work pretty often to fix them. One of the better games in that trio of Wii games that only got released outside japan due to a fan petition. It was pretty much just a recommendation, something to look out for.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

It's an interesting game with fun mechanics that avoids a lot of problems that games have with portrayals of women (no oversexualised outfits, Elena chooses what to wear so it feels more natural, and she does everything she can to help in the quest, even if some of it happens to be domestic like learning to cook and decorating the lighthouse. She's not doing it because she's a woman, she's doing it because the main character spends all his time in the tower fighting monsters so she can eat their flesh to stave off the curse, and since they are living in that lighthouse for months by the end of the game she wants to make it feel more like a home.) The biggest problem it has besides one boss sucking (the second plant boss is SUCH a pain in the rear end) is that due the unique designs of the final set of towers they can break the US version of the game, although there are workarounds that apparently work pretty often to fix them. One of the better games in that trio of Wii games that only got released outside japan due to a fan petition. It was pretty much just a recommendation, something to look out for.

Hey I have a copy of Pandora's Tower but I've never actually played it, maybe I will sometime. How easy is it to look up this workaround for the US version?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hey I have a copy of Pandora's Tower but I've never actually played it, maybe I will sometime. How easy is it to look up this workaround for the US version?

Basically the glitch is that when you go into the 11th and 12th towers and then leave, for example to feed Elena monster flesh to stave off the curse, the game will freeze when you try to reenter the tower. You can either clear the entire dungeon without ever leaving to feed Elena, which is a tall order as it's a complex dungeon, or you can do the workaround by talking to Elena and triggering a full cutscene. Easiest way to do that is feed her and sleep til morning which will trigger a breakfast cutscene. Then the tower should let you back in without freezing.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdp_eHMiSg

Another uncut! Please, enjoy some unfiltered ape action.

BioEnchanted posted:

Sounds pretty cool, but unless someone makes it for the Game Boy I probably won't get to it in this thread. :v:

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Bubsy II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZCqMc912M

HOO BOY do we have an entry for you fine folks today. The concept of dedicating any more of my thought process to Bubsy is already making me want to curl up in a ball, so I'm gonna throw this update in here like a live grenade and run. See you next time!

Snake Count: 31

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know Bubsy made it to Game Boy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just a bit into Turok, it's reminding me a lot of a very charming PS2 game that's also in the past/future called Dino Stalker which I only bought due to it having the astounding tagline "Decimate Prehistory". It's hilarious because you think it's just fighting dinosaurs but they keep adding dumb twists. "Oh no, I'm in the Jurassic period fighting dinosaurs... wait, what do you mean 'no I'm not'? I'm sorry? I'm in CYBERSPACE?" It's like a weird matrix ark trying to protect dinosaurs from the mass extinction event, and there's an albino velociraptor called Trinity who apparently is the perfect dinosaur and is supposed to lead the other dinosaurs, and the final boss can't JUST be a t-rex, no it has to be a special anime t-rex with black scales that's described as a one in a million genetic mutation because just fighting a t-rex isn't cool enough.

IT was so dumb but really funny at times with a hilarious ending. Also the main character was Legends of Tomorrow'd, picked because he was about to die anyway so if he died on the mission it wouldn't matter to the timeline.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJn2ihP18js

This uncut entry is weirdly embarrassing to look back on! I dunno! I hope you like it.

It's worth noting that as of this post EVERY live thing in this series has been recorded. It's all coming down to editing at this point. It's been a hell of a ride there and I hope everyone here enjoys the rest of it in due time. Thanks for stickin around. :unsmith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Did you ever see that Resident Evil port on gameboy colour that was incomplete? There's a rom out for it and it's impressive how far they got given they tried to make it 1-to-1 with no simplification. They actually tried to make a 3d-ish engine, although it failed hilariously as the perspective was completely hosed in so many places, especially the piano room where an enormous Jill walks over to a tiny piano and stands inside it to play it.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCd2VVmLXw

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 24, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaDHwevGS6Q

Our travels bring us to a galaxy far, far away! Join our intrepid rebel alliance as we fight the greatest enemies of all: momentum based platforming and fluctuating hitboxes! Also this is apparently wordse's favorite so feel free to point and laugh. Not a whole lot to say about this one, truth be told! It's just one of those gnarly games that gained a cult following, but once we could get our proverbial compass pointed, it wasn't the nightmare it could have been.

The collectors boxes are pretty sick though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hell yeah, I loved the Star Wars Gameboy games, although my newfound love for the movies outweighed a lot of their gameplay choices.

Also they led to an embarrassing moment where I found a whole bag of gameboy games for something like $30 at a garage sale with Star Wars included, but I didn't have enough money to buy the whole thing. I finally got up the courage to ask to split out that one for $5, but then immediately got nervous and went "or maybe $10!". Of course they immediately took the shy little kid up on his offer to pay more money, never mind that there were enough games in that collection that they still could've easily charged the original price for the rest of them. Anyways that's a gameboy thing from decades ago that still occasionally pops into mind to embarrass me!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Huh, I just realised it towards the end of the first video of the Mana game. Final Fantasy Adventure may have invented the Souls- style level up system. It's at least VERY similar to Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Nioh in selecting stats to focus on but also affecting other stats along the way. At the very least it's an early example of it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Huh, I just realised it towards the end of the first video of the Mana game. Final Fantasy Adventure may have invented the Souls- style level up system. It's at least VERY similar to Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Nioh in selecting stats to focus on but also affecting other stats along the way. At the very least it's an early example of it.

Hm, possibly. I've seen it in many other games but none come to mind that are as old.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

I dunno if I'd go that far, if only because multiple stats do still level up alongside whatever you pick. The ability to manually focus your build is still pretty unique, though!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L262WaAAtEg

A lil late on this one! Things are shaping up to be SUPER busy in the coming month, so edited episodes might be a bit delayed as a result. Might be more of a "every two weeks" kind of deal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I noticed that in Final Fantasy Adventure's final part (just getting to it, been a long week) you had to walk across a bunch of lava, and didn't think to equip the fire armour... I wonder if that would have helped... edit: Ah, you figured it out a few minutes later... :P

Oh poo poo I just realised that Gemma might be a play on Germinate. Which is what plants do when first breaking out of their seeds. Also Gemma Knight sounds a bit like Germinate.

Also I loved Worlds of Final Fantasy because of it's completely ridiculous twist towards the end regarding the causes of practically all the bad things in the main character's lives.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 1, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Cosmo Tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPyaKomwG_I

Hey everybody! The last couple days have kicked my rear end but I'm now here to post this episode! It's...okay? My initial experiences with this game felt it should definitely make it to the hell block, but once I figured it out it turned into our average slog. It's fun to see the kernels of ideas Atlus would have probably capitalized on in their more modern games, but between you and me I feel like they would have gone with the book more than the movie on this Starship Troopers analogy.

See you, uh, whenever I'm not dying from exhaustion!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In the middle of the Star Wars vid so nearly caught up. I can see what Wordsy is saying when he says that he's more interested in playing the Star Wars game than the "better" games, because I'm the same way. A lot of established franchises I haven't got around to many games in because often I see a more interesting looking game that's interesting because I know nothing about it, so I pick it up to see what it's like. A lot of better games I already know a lot about from Cultural osmosis but a more unpopular game is more of an adventure, as I have NO idea what to expect.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Hello, everyone! April kicked my rear end severely but I can promise there will be continued episodes out by next week! For now enjoy this tantalizing preview.

https://twitter.com/thatgalinthehat/status/1521966161906192386

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJgiwshoKo

I also never posted this uncut?? OOPS.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMDKDc-tF0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwYaEreuZzo

The next few series of uncuts are gonna be batch posted because we played some LONG rear end GAMES. Also I kinda wanna make this thread not last an eternity, so there's that too.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Battletoads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcInn_LCj0U

Yes, folks, we have Battletoads. The penultimate challenge is here and BOY HOWDY does this game live up to its reputation. I don't know if this truly breaks the record for proportion of footage to the final product, but it's a top 3 contender to be sure.

A good amount of the footage I used for the info segment came from the Rare Replay documentary on battletoads as a franchise. It's a pretty interesting watch, especially given their transparency on things like the cynical nature of the game's creation and also how intentionally bullshit the arcade version was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LTp7nNne10

NEXT TIME: THE FINAL GAME. But it's probably gonna take some extra time to edit. Please wait patiently and enjoy the uncut releases in the meantime!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Played this game. Never beat it or any other game in its franchise other than the Double Dragon crossover.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
This was the second game I got with my original Gameboy back in the day, the other one was Megaman 1. It's even more fun on the original blurry green-screened handheld, and I got stuck on the brain race stage for a long-rear end time, to the point where I usually still had all my continues by the time I got there.

There's also a GDQ run showing off an out of bounds clip to skip that stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bezlBdtIRnQ

Also, did you ever figure out you can charge the ship's cannon in the second stage? Doesn't do much but it's there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Huh, I didn't remember there was a GB Battletoads game. I also always forget those were Rare games. In retrospect this one's pretty obvious, it seems like it shares some DNA with Donkey Kong Land in some of the graphics and especially the music.

I liked pretty much any game I could get my hands on as a kid, but I think I would've found this one kinda frustrating.

e: Also the bullshit montage was pretty fantastic :v:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 14, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: Also the bullshit montage was pretty fantastic :v:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Every single one of those deaths were unique and even then, I left out like 9 of them!

Also there were some real rough patches in the swamp:

https://twitter.com/thatgalinthehat/status/1523207853779025920

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9sn4Cqa3vM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhFvFEZBEU

A duo of Catraps! The final duo. Just like how the game ended! That's all I got.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Thx for this thread, it was a lot of fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot about Catrap, it's been long enough since the start that I also had no recollection the cat bit was a curse :psyduck:

It's a cute game that I'm still surprised I never heard of. Good job making it through, I love little puzzle games like that but they usually drive me insane by about a third of the way through.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something interesting about the music in the montage in the latest video - because Tchaikovsky basically hated Russia by the time the government commissioned the 1812 overture to celebrate a military victory, he actually hated that piece personally. He thought it was too loud and bombastic for his own tastes. He just wrote it how he was commissioned to. Similarly, when he wrote a symphony for the Government, he didn't want to allow it to end on a triumphant note, so he switched the third and fourth movements so that it would end on the third movement and feel unsatisfying (because of this all audiences make the same mistake btw - music etiquette is to wait until the end of the final movement to actually applaud and never applaud between movements as it throws off the orchestra's timing, but due to the switch everyone thinks the end of the third movement is the end of the piece and thinks it's time to applaud). He was a gay man in 1800s Russia who is thought to have possibly been eventually murdered by the Government in a relatively popular conspiracy theory due to his sexuality (apparently his official cause of death was illness from failing to boil his drinking water - this is suspicious because he lived in a shithole in the 1800s. He'd been boiling his water every day for years, how the hell would he have forgotten that one time? That's the main evidence as far as I recall).

A thought is that because he couldn't express his feelings publicly for the person he was in love with, he expressed them musically, hence most of his works being romantic in nature.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 25, 2022

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

:eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agR4e3-igM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q1dXnH5t0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4aBHqFNhEA

More uncuts folks! Now it's time for massive amounts of rpg footage. Including things like: getting lost, dying, and forgetting to save!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTxVToW4o9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJFFB1lR9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOe4lGp34bM

WOW I ENTIRELY FORGOT TO GET ON THESE. Weeks been nuts yall. Stay safe.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKvMJbYsvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNnHfnb1MlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_5EOw4gIA

You know I was really hoping to have a real update by now, but the universe had other plans. Those plans were primarily getting me sick as hell for a week. See y'all soon, I promise!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paY7EVFLQ9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-e6vTPVRb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEnpe5wxp9E

Accidentally took a bit of an off week there. Life has been hectic, and there's a charity stream on its way that has halted a lot of progress. Even so, things look pretty good, and I'm going to try and get the final episode out by early July. Look forward to it!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u__RrBOF5Ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTV1E7u0RiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjxltkKmWVg

We're really getting down to it! Ep 50 is fully underway and should be ready for early access this weekend! I hope the air of finality terrifies you as much as me! :v:

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slp47e3sqCA

Is this even different from the edited version? I dunno! What I DO know is that we got episode 50 coming THIS FRIDAY so I hope everyone is excited!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

Metroid II: Return of Samus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92v8x9_aOZg

We're finally here. The fiftieth shade of the grayscale. METROID 2. When I started this series, in all its self indulgence, I could think of no more fitting a title than this to cap it all off. I tried to put everything I had into this one, which has lately been less and less, but I hope you feel it all the same.Theres still some bonus streams to edit, a couple extra videos, but this is and forever will be the proper finale to the LP's main body. It's hard to put into words how it feels to actually be able to say that. We did it yall!!! Thank you to everyone who stuck around for this project. Thank you to all the lovely people who posted art, factoids, and their personal stories. I've loved reading every single one of them. It's kept me going the whole way through.

I wanna hear more, though! I did all 50 of my games, so now it's open season. Tell me what games impacted you most. Tell me what games I missed and was a huge idiot for not including! Tell me...well I think I'll save the third option for now. I have a proper thread closer in mind. Until then, stay tuned, or if not, see you next mission!!

Final Snake Count: 32