Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/billycorben/status/1289961836264095744?s=21

Navy has said this is an independent organization and thus far doesn’t think any active Navy personnel or equipment was present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1290267685117460481

I just wish Herman Cain were still around to see Trump bragging about his crowd sizes in COVID hotspot states :sigh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weird, no Biden supporters hanging with the MAGA hats?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

Weird, no Biden supporters hanging with the MAGA hats?

Probably going to be weird in November when everyone realizes that the "silent majority" flipped. Here's the best way I've heard that put (Weigel is always good with this poo poo):

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1290243752695480321?s=19

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1290282592902709255?s=19

Biden's running Three Yards And A Cloud Of Dust while all the angry twitter folks and MAGA people are yelling PASS THE loving BALL because the most he's ever giving them for drama is a 3rd and 2 from the 20.

SPORTSBALL

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 3, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Biden's also being helped by many just dismissing the Reade accusations without further comment.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Works posted:

Biden's also being helped by many just dismissing the Reade accusations without further comment.

Yeah, the Reade accusations had the potential to be the upset everyone has been looking for but they just got swept under the rug.

Biden is kinda untouchable until another alternative to Trump presents itself, sadly

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Was it Reade where those articles came out saying that she was a grifter with a trail of victims?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone named Tara Reade, Reid, or any other variety of spelling should be suspect anyhow.

Let's gather all the Tara Reades/Reids and send them to an island where poo poo low budget knock off films that no one watches are filmed. Maybe combine it with UFC island and they can fight for lead over supporting roles. Send Tanya Harding to act as ref.

Make all the living quarters leftover 1970s single wide trailers.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1290224863198605317?s=19

Age 19-23, what a waste

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

not caring here posted:

Was it Reade where those articles came out saying that she was a grifter with a trail of victims?

they did the "she's no angel" thing usually reserved for 11 year old black kids by talking to her landlords

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are witnesses that corroborate that Reade’s story is not new.

I would love to learn that the next president of the United States is not a rapist, but it doesn’t seem likely.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Platystemon posted:

There are witnesses that corroborate that Reade’s story is not new.

I would love to learn that the next president of the United States is not a rapist, but it doesn’t seem likely.

I don't see how it's possible at this point, unless age catches up to one of the pair of geezers we have as options now.

Maybe TLP will make Trump stroke out and we will have to choose between a rapist and an open Nazi

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

RFC2324 posted:

I don't see how it's possible at this point, unless age catches up to one of the pair of geezers we have as options now.

Maybe TLP will make Trump stroke out and we will have to choose between a rapist and an open Nazi

I like that TLP is pissing off Trump mightily, but I’ve had to warn some of my liberal friends that by no means are they progressive. Being Republicans, TLP doesn’t mind that the boot is on someone’s neck, they just find Trump’s choice of boots to be distasteful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

they just find Trump’s choice of boots to be distasteful.

It’s not even that.

They just think that a different set of legs would be more effective at stomping.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Proclick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxukOPEdgg

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
TLP and the Republican establishment in general just really wants to take control of the racist mob away from Trump. They don't disagree on literally any policy, they just want to have the army of racist shitheels supporting them wholeheartedly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So close, and yet so far.

https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1290319447874588673?s=19

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Probably going to be weird in November when everyone realizes that the "silent majority" flipped. Here's the best way I've heard that put (Weigel is always good with this

Biden's running Three Yards And A Cloud Of Dust while all the angry twitter folks and MAGA people are yelling PASS THE loving BALL because the most he's ever giving them for drama is a 3rd and 2 from the 20.

SPORTSBALL

The VP pick might stir things up a bit but even then there's unlikely to be *too* much drama. Worst case something like picking Kamala comes off as ham handed/tone deaf to BLM but nothing that would seriously jeopardize the campaign.

Was talking to a State Dept friend last week and they were pretty discouraged that Susan Rice was under consideration, according to them she's got a history of hostile behavior towards coworkers/subordinates similar to Klobuchar.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm convinced blomp is a typhoid Mary at this point. Like he being close to the first American infected and the reason everyone around him keeps getting sick 100%

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Say hello to your new Undersecretary of Defense for Policy

Sorry, he's "acting deputy" in order to meet the requirements. In 90 days Trump can just move him to the position without the Senate this way.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
timg that poo poo please

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ok seriously how has he not gotten it yet

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

BigDave posted:

Ok seriously how has he not gotten it yet

Probably for similar reasons as to why McDonald's food doesn't decompose.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

Probably for similar reasons as to why McDonald's food doesn't decompose.

Satanic blood sacrifice, gotcha.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

not caring here posted:

Yes, the "liberal" media did the exact same that the right wing does when one of theirs is accused of sexual assault - try to discredit the accuser's character by digging up completely unrelated bullshit about her past. It's loving shameful and it made it clear that "believe women" and #MeToo were just political tools.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 3, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, the "liberal" media did the exact same that the right wing does when one of theirs is accused of sexual assault - try to discredit the accuser's character by digging up completely unrelated bullshit about her past. It's loving shameful and it made it clear that "believe women" and #MeToo were just political tools.

She knew it too

https://twitter.com/ReadeAlexandra/status/1289348181336023040?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Getting stupid now.

https://twitter.com/SamBrockNBC/status/1290376961232183298?s=19

GETTING STUPID NOW.

https://twitter.com/shanlonwu/status/1290330423407542275?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AHAHAHAHAHA

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

If there’s a criminal case, does this mean there will people a jury? And that people on it will literally get to vote on whether to lock him up?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I hope Hillary is on that jury

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Suicide Watch posted:

If there’s a criminal case, does this mean there will people a jury? And that people on it will literally get to vote on whether to lock him up?

There's already a grand jury on this thing, that's what DA Vance is using to subpoena the poo poo. The outstanding questions are how much he needs the tax returns, how quickly he would even get them if the local court agrees (and they'd stay secret under the grand jury), and then if Donnie could even get charged or Vance goes after the organization alone and Donnie's Person #1 again.

Popehat's knowledge from being a federal prosecutor (and this being a state case by a DA):

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1290360996997955584?s=19

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1290360998348562433?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Popehat is completely right. State attorneys are very different than federal attorneys for both civil and criminal law. In the civil world, a lot of attorneys that only practice state law get chewed the gently caress up in federal court because the places are just functionally different. Similarly, federal attorneys that come to state courts can often get hometowned in hearings.

In state court, you'll have a hearing for basically everything contested and procedure rules are significantly more relaxed. In federal court, often the only hearings are those mandated by rule or statute. Everything else is all about motion practice and following procedural rules. In the 11th circuit, for example, 95% of state civil complaints would be immediately dismissed in federal court simply because they are not in conformity with the rules of that circuit. I have a case now where I've gotten two of the plaintiff's complaints dismissed simply because they don't follow the rules. The opposing attorney is a highly qualified state attorney, but they do not practice in federal court and it shows.

I haven't looked at Trump's complaint, but I can assume the motion to dismiss from the NY state attorney generally represents it as it is. He's gonna get tossed out again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Popehat is completely right. State attorneys are very different than federal attorneys for both civil and criminal law. In the civil world, a lot of attorneys that only practice state law get chewed the gently caress up in federal court because the places are just functionally different. Similarly, federal attorneys that come to state courts can often get hometowned in hearings.

In state court, you'll have a hearing for basically everything contested and procedure rules are significantly more relaxed. In federal court, often the only hearings are those mandated by rule or statute. Everything else is all about motion practice and following procedural rules. In the 11th circuit, for example, 95% of state civil complaints would be immediately dismissed in federal court simply because they are not in conformity with the rules of that circuit. I have a case now where I've gotten two of the plaintiff's complaints dismissed simply because they don't follow the rules. The opposing attorney is a highly qualified state attorney, but they do not practice in federal court and it shows.

I haven't looked at Trump's complaint, but I can assume the motion to dismiss from the NY state attorney generally represents it as it is. He's gonna get tossed out again.

You got back into lawyering? I thought you quit that to run a taco truck.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This entire admin has had the vibe of Dukes of Hazzard.
"I wonder how dem Trump boys gonna get out of this one!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1290048084857065472

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The rock is trying to buy the XFL for 15 mil

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/investing/xfl-sold-dwayne-the-rock-johnson/index.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Good for him, maybe he can do something with it after Covid winds down.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Dersh sent a letter threatening legal action against ViacomCBS over statements made by a fictional character on a tv show.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/alan-dershowitz-good-fight-cbs-apology-1234722149/

specifically over comments about Dersh and Epstein.

quote:

The episode makes several references to Dershowitz in connection with Epstein. Ansari’s letter focuses on one exchange that the Dafoe character has with lawyers Diane Lockhart (Christine Baranski) and Liz Reddick (Audra McDonald) about losing Epstein as a client. In the most meta-legal sense, the dialogue anticipates real-life legal action from Dershowitz.

"Probably about the time [epstein] ditched me for Dershowitz. At least I didn’t get a massage, like that shyster. And for the purposes of any potential lawsuit ‘shyster’ is just my opinion not a statement of fact,” the Dafoe character states.

Full letter is in the article. Including the galaxy-brained take of a fictional character saying "this is my opinion, not fact" means that the statement should be construed as fact, not opinion. ViacomCBS has responded, which is quite good.

quote:

Dear Mr. Ansari:

Your letter of July 17 to Laura Franco and others (including Michelle and Robert King) has been forwarded to me for response. If we understand your letter correctly, you are complaining about a line spoken by a fictional character, in an episode of the fictional series “The Good Fight” (the “Series”). You make this complaint on behalf of Professor Alan Dershowitz, a public figure who has long been associated with Jeffrey Epstein, and who has admitted on television to receiving a massage from a woman at Epstein’s mansion. In the non-fictional world, these factors require us to decline your request that we withdraw the episode, and our correspondence could end right here. Nevertheless, out of respect for Professor Dershowitz, we explain more fully below.

The Series is a highly-acclaimed scripted drama that streams on CBS All Access, a subscription-only streaming service that offers episodes of shows on an on-demand basis. By every measure, the Series is a work of fiction, and it has been praised for “its playful embrace of surrealism,” (The Guardian, May 14, 2019) and as an example of “full-bodied entertainment: brainy, gutsy, a little love crazy.” (Los Angeles Times, February 19, 2017). The character whose lines you cite in your letter is made-up as well. Benjamin Dafoe is not a real lawyer; on the Series, he’s Epstein’s “fictitious prior lawyer,” as your letter acknowledges. In other words, as one might explain to a small child, the Series, its characters and the things they say are all make-believe. People don’t watch the Series for factual information about Professor Dershowitz or anyone else.

Although the Series is a work of fiction, its writers strive for accuracy when referring to people or events from the real world. When it comes to Professor Dershowitz getting a massage at Epstein’s house, the writers were spot-on. In a televised interview broadcast on WPLG-TV in Miami on April 17, 2019, Professor Dershowitz admitted on camera that he got a massage from a woman at an Epstein mansion. In fairness, Professor Dershowitz claimed that he “kept [his] underwear on during the massage.” A more benign mental image than what the mind might otherwise conjure, so at least there’s that.

With the Professor’s massage at Epstein’s place now beyond dispute, we’re left with one word you don’t like – “shyster,” spoken by a fictional character and expressly phrased as opinion. As your own case authority holds, the law does not impose liability for expressions of opinion, in contrast to verifiably true or false statements of fact. Immuno AG v. Moor Jankowski, 77 NY2d 253, 254 (1991). For this reason, the court in Immuno AG affirmed summary judgment for the defendant, finding that the context of a letter to the editor in a trade journal contained protected opinion. Id.

The same is true in the context of a comment on a fictional show. De Havilland v. FX Networks, LLC, 21 Cal. App 4th 845 (2018) (dismissing Olivia De Havilland’s false light claim, because “[v]iewers are generally familiar with dramatized [shows] in which scenes, conversations, and even characters are fictionalized and imagined.”) We’re confident that no viewer would conclude that Professor Dershowitz is a shyster based on one line of opinion from a fictional character on the Series, as opposed to the real-life, factual publications that have called him exactly that. See, e.g.., “From Scholar to Shyster, Alan Dershowitz Does Revisionist Law, Disowns His ‘1998 Off-the-Cuff Interview’” (PolitiZoom, January 21, 2020).1

We appreciate your bringing Professor Dershowitz’s concerns to our attention, and we hope our explanation puts those concerns to rest. Of course, this is not intended as a full statement of our position or as a waiver of any rights, remedies or defenses, all which we respectfully reserve.

Very truly yours,

Jonathan Anschell

1. Although nobody takes “shyster” as a compliment, we cannot agree with your assertion that the word is anti- Semitic. The same allegation has been debunked elsewhere, including in the New York Law Journal’s review of the history of the term, which concluded that “shysters come in different religions.” (“Is ‘Shyster’ Anti-Semitic,” New York Law Journal, May 21, 2003).

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Watch this become the NFL that does *not* allow kneeling or helmets. A safe space for real football fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brute Squad posted:

Full letter is in the article. Including the galaxy-brained take of a fictional character saying "this is my opinion, not fact" means that the statement should be construed as fact, not opinion. ViacomCBS has responded, which is quite good.

Just a reminder that just over a decade ago Dershowitz was a respected (if cranky) defense attorney and legal scholar.