Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It's all just so stupid. Like, gently caress. How?

I'm not sure I can ever enjoy another movie where humanity comes together and defeats a greater foe to the tune of a triumphal John Williams score.

Imagine Independence Day, but with Republicans saying "well the aliens are only blowing up blue cities, and these fighter planes are so expensive." Meanwhile Hannity is on the TV in the background saying "What alien spaceships? Just looks like regular clouds to me - and more leftist scaremongering" and Joe Boomer cries out "OWNED, LIBS" as he dies in a firestorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Torrannor posted:

There's a good chance that some of those who filmed are no longer alive. They just livestreamed it.

Like the dude who filmed this is confirmed dead:

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1290730820509081601

Jfc I was consoling myself somewhat under the impression that:

a) people lived to post these videos on the internet
b) the phones which streamed the moment of impact clearly survived and continued functioning for some time after the blast, long enough to upload their buffer at least

One of those videos appears to have been taken from (more or less) nextdoor.

:gonk: indeed

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Cugel the Clever posted:

Don't want to bother digging up the sources, but I've generally heard that the association between liberals and the anti-vax movement has been wildly overblown in the past and, with the current massive crossover with QAnon folk, can certainly no longer said to be accurate.

At least in my neck of the woods (Louisiana at the time), anti-vax stuff really took root among the religous conservatives after the schools tried to offer the HPV vaccine to girls. Because, you know, death and/or disfigurement from cervical cancer is a small price to pay for purity!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It's still a bad analogy because unless you plan on disappearing into the wilderness, you will still have to get on one of the buses. It's more like... you're already on the bus going to New York. It's now in, poo poo I dunno, Iowa. If your goal is to get to California, changing buses to Colorado is better than continuing on to New York, no?

My lens is pretty personal because I know a child who will die and a family who will be destroyed if the Republicans have their way with health care, so I don't have the patience to let things burn out of spite or accelerationism whatever rationale there is for checking out and giving Trump another 4 years.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ASAPI posted:

When I was younger I took pride in describing myself as "moderate". Now I spend my time trying to explain to other "moderates" how they can no longer sit on the fence. We are so past the point where you can debate if both sides can "share the blame".

Man, I feel this. Thought I was way smarter than everyone else because I thought about issues rather than sides :jerkbag: I rode the middle into some seriously bad takes almost all the way up to 2016. Probably beyond, if I'm honest.

A conservative acquaintance once said something to me along the lines of "when you grow up, you'll have to pick a side." He was just being a cynical rear end in a top hat because that was kind of his thing, but stopped clocks and all.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

US Berder Patrol posted:

How did that whole hurricane thing go? Is Galveston still there?

It hit a few hours east. We didn't even get any rain in Houston. I think even Beaumont got off relatively lightly.

Cameron and Holly Beach are pretty much gone though, and Lake Charles got really torn up by the wind. Pictures will focus on the worst, of course, but it looks like wood framed houses got shredded en masse. Reminds me of what Andrew did to Miami.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are two more (potential) storms on the way. Give it time.

The most active season on record was 2005. That's the year they ran out of alphabet and had to use Greek letters. Katrina hit at the end of August. We just got through the letter M. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nick Soapdish posted:

Echoing everyone else and glad that you're alright

Flying_Crab posted:

hell yeah get his rear end

not double-emptyquoting