Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ahahahaha because OF COURSE it's a welder who did no safety protocols

drat, talk about a self-correcting problem. Dude corrected what looked like a square half-mile.

Edit: gently caress, reported injuries approaching 3k.

https://twitter.com/davidalexander5/status/1290750122578644993?s=20

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Loden Taylor posted:

When it comes to law enforcement using tactical gear, the answer to "why are they doing it like this" is usually "we saw this in a movie and it looked cool."

This looks less like a movie and more like a Syrian militia youtube video, so maybe their media tastes are changing.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

orange juche posted:

The Q poo poo is the militia idiots coming home to roost. If Trump loses they'll absolutely move (moreso) to doing kinetic actions against government personnel and buildings, as well as attacking other civilians who they think are part of the deep state because they're unhinged nutjobs.

This is a real risk. Conflict analysts are starting to flag the real risk of violence in the US over the next 10 years. We made the Armed Conflict Location and Events Data (ACLED) crisis tracker this week for the first time ever.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

MrMojok posted:

I guess the idea that boog/extremist types are too lardass and/or cowardly to actually do anything is worth considering.

But one thing I've learned in my life is never to underestimate crazy. And Trump's words and actions, especially the ones of the past six months, I think have pretty much guaranteed that some people are going to do some crazy poo poo, no matter what happens in November and January. This is, in fact, a deliberate tactic he uses. By saying "the only way we lose this election is if it's rigged" he is straight-up threatening violence, by these very people.

We also should not overlook the fact that there are a disturbing number of current and former military, including SOF types who have leaned full-in to Q and Deep State conspiracies. I think probably most of you have seen some on Twitter/Instagram/YouTube or wherever.

I know sometimes people talk about how SEALs and Rangers and the like are dumbasses, but nobody is going to enjoy seeing one or a small group become hell-bent on blowing something up or fighting their way into the basement under the pizza place.

I'm not trying to push the "crazy vet" trope... but I am saying that these conspiracy theories today affect large numbers and cross-sections of the population, and it would be foolish to think that for some reason current/former mil would be above kinetic action for the cause. I really believe the good vs. evil narrative is potentially leading some people down some dangerous roads.

There's also a selection effect where you only see/hear about the shitbirds because they're the ones who are visible right now, and because the more serious planners are still getting busted. Those Base dudes could have been ugly, but the FBI was all over them because government is still mostly functioning. If Trump claims the election is fraudulent, even if he steps down there's going to be a chunk of people who are currently sitting this out who might get more radical. I'm pretty confident in Federal law enforcement as far as domestic CVE goes (at the moment they've pretty thoroughly penetrated right-wing potential extremists, the jokes write themselves, ACAB), but if the rot spreads to the point where you get a decent chunk of America buying into some spinoff of Q or even just the belief that a Democratic president is illegitimate then you're going to get some LE folks accidentally forgetting to report something or actively helping out extremists and that's the point where things go absolutely off the rails.

Structurally, we're still statistically fairly likely to come through all of this without actual conflict, but even a year ago we were not ticking nearly as many boxes on the march to civil war spreadsheets as w are right now.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Burning Beard posted:

OK, welp.

My first day of in-person classes was yesterday. The administration never explicitly told me I was responsible for dividing my classes so that each day some are in class and the rest are on zoom. They did all wear masks at least.

Then this morning I get an email from a student that she was exposed to COVID at her mom's tattoo shop (Sturgis bike event) and will be quarantining. One day. And my colleagues have received similar emails from students. One day. Another colleague said that he was teaching in one of the big classrooms where every other chair had a garbage bag over it. Student comes in, sans mask, and sits in one the bagged chairs.

This is not a big school. But it will be UNC anyway.

There's been an uptick in COVID cases since Sturgis, shocking, right? My kid starts school September 8th. I can't homeschool her because of the mixed teaching model I am working with. Clusterfuck does not begin to describe it.

I saw somebody post that Arrested Development bit about "it never works but people always delude themselves into thinking it might... but you know, it might work for us" with the caption "schools opening while watching all the other schools opening and immediately closing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Burning Beard posted:

Holy poo poo that is so true. The students are, at least in my courses, trying to comply. But it WILL spread. Does Vodka help?

For a specific value of help. I had a buddy who was a sub officer who once said "the thing about alcohol is that it doesn't solve your problems, but it makes them funny"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Mine was fueled by 40s from the corner store. I don't know what that means for the quality of my work.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

That's more or less the Trump campaign strategy, but there's a serious problem with it. If you try to decrease votes for the other side, there's the very real threat of blowback. A lot of the voter suppression poo poo they're trying to pull is just making people even more determined to vote, even people that might not have considered voting before. That's how you get BLM rallies in the middle of the deep south after gassing Lafayette Square.

And I thoroughly believe voters' minds can be changed - swing voters are very, very weird people.

Outside of election poo poo - if you're in the south, you should probably be getting hurricane shelter supplies right now, just in case.

https://twitter.com/DanielWDSU/status/1296647215323254784?s=19

Uuuuhhhh.... that don't look good.

William Gibson the SF author has an argument that the apocalypse isn't going to be one thing, it's going to be a "jackpot" of a thousand disasters all hitting at more or less the same time, and I gotta say that's looking pretty plausible right now.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah, this is a real bad pattern. I have a hard time seeing Patriot Prayer not responding, and that means we’re probably going to jump into the death squads part of the script. Things are escalating a lot faster than people thought they would, and the DC foreign assistance/stabilization crew that I know are universally freaked out. If this was happening in Kenya we’d be pushing for elite intervention already.

No joke, it’s time to start planning for how to keep safe and keep things calm in your community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

He's already hosed.

https://twitter.com/ArmyStrang/status/1300521607476191232