Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he will be fresh for the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

a neat cape posted:

Meniscus tear isn't a crisis situation but yeah it sucks

Oh well

Depending on where it is, they might be able to just shave it. Could be back in a few weeks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

man it sucks to be robbed of watching exciting players due to injuries

I wish JJ Watt wasn't broken in a million pieces too

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I love how confused the other players are, like the AI is taking bets on how long he will keep it up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Is that some custom team playing the Broncos?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a real team

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I blindly picked up Madden 21 because I hadn't bought it in a couple years and I wanted the next gen version for the new XBox when it comes out. In one game I had Mostert get a false start when he was standing still in the backfield and Richard Sherman warped for a PBU lol what a trash game. I feel like it's my fauult for giving EA money

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm still just playing Animal Crossing.

My character has a Russell Wilson Jersey.

He puts it on by waving a magic wand.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think I had every version of Madden on 360, and I got a bunch of them on their release dates :homebrew:

At this point, barring some crazy update to franchise mode that I’d be interested in, I get it like every 3-4 years just got the updated uniforms and whatnot. I’m also pretty sure the last ones I got (17 and 20) I got off Amazon around Black Friday for like half price.

I’ve gotten more out of Retro Bowl and modded Tecmo roms.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Bengals first team offence apparently looked sloppy but Boyd was the only starting skill player on the field. Not a good sign either way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fartknocker posted:

I think I had every version of Madden on 360, and I got a bunch of them on their release dates :homebrew:

At this point, barring some crazy update to franchise mode that I’d be interested in, I get it like every 3-4 years just got the updated uniforms and whatnot. I’m also pretty sure the last ones I got (17 and 20) I got off Amazon around Black Friday for like half price.

I’ve gotten more out of Retro Bowl and modded Tecmo roms.

Yeah, if I really wanted a football game right now I'd probably just emulate whatever the last NFL 2k game was and download an updated roster.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just find a copy of NCAA Football 2014.

There's no point in Madden anymore. Hasn't been for a long time, either.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, if I really wanted a football game right now I'd probably just emulate whatever the last NFL 2k game was and download an updated roster.

I played the hell out of 2K5 for like four or five years, until the point Madden changed from a simple “pass accuracy” to stuff like short, medium, deep, and so on. IMO it also aged kinda badly after that as the playbooks, particularly some of the shotgun formations and passing routes are very early 2000’s, and so you can’t quite spread it around as easily as in Madden.

Ironically, you can run a full on spread/air raid in Tecmo Super Bowl and Tecmo III, since they had all the Run & Shoot in there, as well as plenty of shotgun, and it’s devastating. :thurman:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find like half the route tree useless in the last madden I bought (17). It slso seemed like the ratings made very little difference and it had a really aggressive enforced skill floor.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Eifert Posting posted:

I find like half the route tree useless in the last madden I bought (17). It slso seemed like the ratings made very little difference and it had a really aggressive enforced skill floor.

I still miss the old outside slant route that got replaced by the fade route, which is basically just another streak/go unless you’re inside the 5 yard line.

One thing I liked that was added by 20 was the ability thing to add additional hot routes. It basically added additional routes to the d-pad on Xbox, which certain QB’s could call, or skill players could use if they were in certain spots (Like, receivers with the “slot” ability had extra routes when lined up inside). The ability to switch backs to angle routes was great, and some of those extra ones were actually useful. I know they also included post and corner routes, so I could create a scissors combo without totally changing the play, which was nice.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 31, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Madden: a game where your QB throwing into single coverage is a near automatic pick, but for the CPU is a massive play

The best modern Madden was for the Wii U because you could literally draw up plays on the touchscreen

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I briefly played Madden 20 last year after a nearly 9 year hiatus and I was astonished by all the pick drill poo poo that goes on.

I sort of expect top tier wideouts to catch the ball, not bat it up into the air off the fingertips of 3 other defenders and wait 3-4 seconds for it to come down into a linebackers hands, where he then runs it 50 yards for a pick six.

The ball physics are psychotic in new Madden games.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The real problem is that they have no incentive to improve anything except for mut, but I feel like the biggest mechanical problem is that it's based on elaborate animations with one specific outcome.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
They do have incentive because sales are flatlining. The real impediment is honestly the yearly cycle. If they just straight up took every other year off they could make a better game. Madden 20 is a full fledge release and 2021 they say its literally going to be a small title update where we refresh the rosters but thats it and charge like 20 bucks or something.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh nice. I'm on a football thread where really my only commentary can be as a Seahawks fan who reads some articles, but Madden conversation I can actually talk about! I don't work for EA, but I work in the industry and have partnered with folks on the Madden team a number of times. A game the scale as Madden games, standalone, would take a very large team at least 3+ years to create. Everyone is correct that the annual updates rarely have generational changes and that is absolutely by design because it is impossible. Instead it is small steps with an occasional leap with rules, art, and roster updates every year. They definitely aren't trying to screw people out of money, the team that makes the game are super passionate about making the most accurate and cutting edge game they can. There are a ton of people happy to pay $60/year for incremental updates, so they provide them with the target that each technical aspect of the game will get a big update once the work is done. I believe at some point it will turn to subscription model, but as of right now people seem to prefer the traditional annual release and it is very profitable in that form.

Ending gaming nerd talk and back to sports nerd talk... Seahawks Action Green is the best jersey in the NFL.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lifespan posted:

Ending gaming nerd talk and back to sports nerd talk... Seahawks Action Green is the best jersey in the NFL.

Counterpoint https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1300109695277957120

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That would have been my answer to as to team, but I'm still not ready to accept those pants even though they're everywhere now.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The new Chargers uniforms are incredibly good and I’m astonished Nike made them. They must have figured the Chargers weren’t worth the attention and outsourced it or something.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still siding with action green, but that Chargers powder blue is cool.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Madden: a game where your QB throwing into single coverage is a near automatic pick, but for the CPU is a massive play

The best modern Madden was for the Wii U because you could literally draw up plays on the touchscreen

There should have been a wii u spinoff where you literally "play madden" drawing telestrator dicks over the top of two other people playing regular madden online.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EA will stop releasing lovely maddens the moment it impacts ultimate team sales so never you absolute degenerates.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Barudak posted:

EA will stop releasing lovely maddens the moment people stop buying them

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Jags are imploding.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1300407514660564992

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1300407514660564992

Huh.

I'm on the Fournette truther side where I think maybe he could have been good with decent coaching, but I also can't argue just dropping him at this point.

e:fb

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Coward Tony Khan, put Mr. Brodie Lee in charge of the Jaguars this very instant!

#JoinDarkOrder

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I think it's smart that someone was willing to sign Gollum. He'll just wants a ring.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So Fournette becomes the latest example of why you don't draft a RB high, won't he?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffRatcliffe/status/1300412907558109184

Minshew gonna have to put the whole offense on his drat back.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

There’s only one football video game that’s worth a poo poo: PlayMaker Football.

Been awesome since 1989.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/NFLsantaClaus/status/1300143062547603456?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The dog barks because dogs are extremely adept at sensing things like ghosts and robots.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Minshew gonna have to put the whole offense on his drat back.

So the Jags are tanking the season huh?

I hope Minshew goes to a decent team when he's released after they draft Trevor or whoever

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

So the Jags are tanking the season huh?

I hope Minshew goes to a decent team when he's released after they draft Trevor or whoever

the dumbest franchise

they're tanking in a year where college football is gonna be all hosed up; why angle for 2021 draft picks? lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Myles Jack is the only Jaguar making more than $10 million this season lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
And to think Jags fans were upset they would get one less home game for this team to disappoint them.