Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm/status/1290831330947805184

He's almost certainly a top 10 pick in the next draft, joining two other probable first round picks in Rashod Bateman and Caleb Farley

Penei Sewell seems to be supporting the Pac-12 demands, so you kinda wonder if he might be inclined to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

He's a good player, it's just he's got Josh Gordon level substance abuse issues that ruined his career.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

It looks suspiciously like the Dolphins might have had potential spread within the team- I think the initial round of back-to-work testing is over, you had Davon Godchaux go out and now you've got suddenly a bunch of guys also getting put on the list like a day or two after.

Edit-

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1291471945570095108

Seems like someone on the team tested positive and other players were exposed, unless they're all loving around socially or something?

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 6, 2020

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

What the gently caress is it with Miami and their sports teams

Miami-Dade county is like the hottest metropolitan area in the country right now in terms of getting the plague.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

They're going to need that to roll over to 2021 to pay for the guys who opted out this year, though. It's not by any mean ruinous(especially because they've got a lot of real cap space in 2021), but you're kicking the can down the road on guys in their early to mid 30's with significant dead cap space. Some of these guys Belichick probably wanted to re-evaluate this year, and instead he's going to have a 34 year old Patrick Chung or a 33 year old Marcus Cannon on the roster pretty much regardless if their dicks fall off and roll down a storm drain.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Nodoze posted:

He'll probably cut half the opt outs tbh

Maybe, but you're pretty much stuck with Cannon and Chung(which seems like an uncharacteristically irresponsible contract now that I'm looking at it). Dont'a Hightower is pretty much a unicorn, but I kinda wonder if they didn't end up drafting Anfernee Jennings to try and replace him so you never know I guess. That's the bulk of the money there.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Does opt out cap space roll over? Cause by overthecap the patriots are sitting on 74mil in space for 2021.

Haven't seen it explicitly said anywhere but I'm 95% sure, it doesn't really make any sense for it not to be.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I'm not sure if the Chiefs are the best example, but if you take George Kittle away from an outside zone heavy scheme he's not the same blocker IMO. He's so loving good at knowing how to mess with edge defenders when they're trying to maintain their position when the flow is going laterally- when to torque a guy off balance, or use their momentum against them, etc. to punch above his weight class, or when he gets a shot to get to the second level.

I don't think there's any shame because there a lot of guys we think of elite who are right guy/right scheme fits, but if you ask Kittle to down block on a DE week to week IMO he's going to take more than his share of losses than some of these bigger more powerful TEs.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fartknocker posted:

The league needs more massive, pure blocking tight ends like Howard Cross or Brandon Manumaleuna were. Those guys own.

I think the way college football has shifted to the spread and the way sports science allows for guys to be much bigger and faster than 30 years ago has really kinda hosed with positional slotting as far as what the NFL would prefer.

All of the guys who would be big "Y" tight ends are now just getting 20-30 pounds bigger and playing somewhere on the OL. All of the old I-form fullbacks are somewhere on defense, all of the old split-back guys are never learning how to block as slot TEs, etc. and so on.

IMO like at a certain point teams should just have a guy be like Eric Beverly- an OK center that got converted to TE by the Falcons in the early 2000's. I'm sure you could take a mediocre pulling guard and turn him into a better fullback than most of the guys that are getting fielded out there too.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Kalli posted:

Damnit

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1293637946608889858

His book introduced me to the Mean Joe Greene screwdriver anecdote :(

Dude was almost 80 and died because of a motorcycle crash, that's pretty wild.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

The cap isn't real

The cap is real but it's more complicated than just cap space + obligations.

Things are going to get real interesting next year if the cap ends up being $175m though. Like the Eagles, Falcons, and Saints look like they're in for some real pain:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Y’all say that about the Saints every year.

How many of those years did the salary cap get reduced by $40m+ because of the plague

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't think I watched a Saints game last year can someone help me figure out what the gently caress a Taysom Hill is and why is it making $10m a year

did Jeff Ireland convince them to do Pat White 2.0

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

This is real bold of Greggg when the dude has got to know deep down he isn't as good a coach as Carroll and the amount of problems he runs into throwing everything and the kitchen sink into his defense.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Clark is like the one true 2-gap nose tackle in the league who can also rush the passer at a high level. He really is kind of unique, I'm sure Belichick would have wanted to use some of that 2021 cap space if he broke loose.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

That sounds like what Dontari Poe was supposed to develop into after his great rookie year but his back broke

Maybe Vita Vea will get there, but it never really seems to work. Even Haloti Ngata ended up being more just good for his build than genuinely good as a pass rusher.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1294654832461185024

It's mostly the more athletic guys, which I guess is logical but kinda wild Luck is so far ahead of everyone else.

https://twitter.com/schwartzsteins/status/1292188508904476673
RIP sweet price

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, I read the tweet. Is the eligibility criteria an insurance thing ("it's not bad enough yet so we won't pay for the operation") or a medical one?

If it's the latter I'm surprised he can't find a doctor willing to try it out given the whole football thing, there's seemingly plenty of people willing to try experimental stuff for pro athletes

I'm sure there's some degree of risk to the surgery, and he doesn't think it's worth it to doctor shop for a medically unnecessary surgery to keep playing.

Financially he just signed what was likely his last NFL contract as a 28 year old serviceable starter, and I'm pretty sure he gets to keep everything except the roster/workout bonuses. A pretty solid chunk of his money was guaranteed, and I don't think teams make it a habit of trying to get back signing bonuses in scenarios like these- it probably counts as retiring due to injury as he can't pass a physical and it's only hypothetical he would be able to in the future. He might be able to keep all but like $1m of an $18m contract.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

wandler20 posted:

Let's check in on the Tom Brady arm situation:

cool

You've only got a handful of those, probably don't use them all up during camp?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ryan Fitzpatrick has almost as many kids as Phillip Rivers and I think his loose, devil may care attitude on the field indicates that he is a good sex-haver.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Saban's pretty good

I don't know that Saban really counts the same way. They co-created the coverage schemes that are probably the most important shared link and a big aspect of their success since then.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think asking the HOF voters to make a decision based on like the influence of scheme and innovation is a problem. Most of these guys don't know poo poo.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Kalli posted:

If it's Lombardi and it isn't bullshit, then it's probably either the Raiders or Patriots.

I'm not sure the Patriots(or for that matter, Dolphins/Giants/Lions) would spend a high pick and salary on an OLB without much coverage experience. Belichick at least really seems to try to buy low on guys he has to teach or project on that kind of stuff.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Kalli posted:

It would make sense that next year's draft picks are just going to be worthless. But I mean, it's Lombardi, if he has any sources, it's gonna be Pats or Raiders.

I could see 3rd day picks getting swapped for boxes of toilet paper, but if anything I could see the earlier picks if anything being worth more. If teams are out there bidding for a small selection of blue chip players and they're doing so after losing $40m+ in salary cap space I could see a 2nd still being pretty worthwhile.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you haven't heard, the Packers decided to throttle media coverage of their training camp and practices. Here's an article reacting to that that I thought made a bunch of good points, and on top of that revealed certain things about how teams actually engage with sports journalism despite pretty much every single front office openly scoffing at the idea.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/8/20/21378012/packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-defends-reporting-restrictions-as-practical

Are there any other teams taking similar actions? From this article, I know the Browns aren't :v:

It's an NFL rule, but teams are implementing and interpreting it differently. The Dolphins are also taking a hard line, and it's been really loving stupid. They're training a guard to play center and some his snaps were rough and it was clearly obvious the guy was playing the position but they had to describe how he was in a "new role" and that it somehow caused issues with the snap. Then several times the players have said stuff(like a Center talking about lining up next to a rookie RG) which the media couldn't actually seemingly say even after the media.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fsif posted:

Yeah what exactly is the rationale behind tighter reporting restrictions for beat writers this season?

Best I understand it, the teams had some leverage to bar reporters from covering the teams at all because of Covid, so they instead wielded said leverage to reach a "compromise" where reporters can still attend practices but can't report on anything but the most superficial details. Which, you know, now means getting the drawback of an increased chance of Covid exposure for the teams, but without any tangible benefit of meaningful reporting.

I can't really find anything but I was under the impression that because they're cutting down on the amount of media in attendance(largely to the detriment of some of the smaller outfits), they're restricting the reporting to not "favor" the organizations that do have access. Seems like a bit of an excuse to cut back in general though.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Patriots won’t allow the press to report on who is returning punts.

The Dolphins local press has gotten around it by saying that a player "has been given every opportunity" to earn a starting job rather than saying that they're starting.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I've seen a few teams try and switch des to te, what's up with that?

Colleges aren't really producing enough traditional "Y" tight ends to meet demand anymore. A lot of guys don't learn to block worth a poo poo and college programs hide them with slot/H-back reps, and even the guys who have solid experience in-line generally seem to be pretty mediocre. Some of the inherent "mismatch" properties of the position in the passing game isn't just being 6'5" or whatever, it comes from creating a gap in the run game- forcing the defender in coverage to also defend the gap in the run game, and all of the different ways you can then leverage being in conflict against the run and the pass. Some of the stuff you get by virtue of showing up- but if a guy can block it's better and more effective.

DE makes sense because a lot of the guys who would be playing the position 20 years ago are probably getting slotted as a DE by colleges now. Some of the basic physicality probably translates well- they know how to square up with guys in their weight class, and the emphasis on explosion off of the LOS(and the pass rush moves) seem like they might translate pretty well to in-line TE releases. The learning curve is probably still steep enough that you're going to end up with like an Anthony Fasano or Dan Campbell or whatever rather than the next Gronk or Witten, but those guys are still kinda rare as it stands.

I don't know why the NFL doesn't go back to playing more with four true wide receivers anymore and just don't loving worry about the extra gap. A 4th CB is probably a pretty good target for a mismatch, and it worked pretty well in the 80's and 90's in the NFL.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 23, 2020

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pre-snap scheming. A TE can block or catch, a 4th WR can't really. If you have 4 WRs on the field, the defense knows pretty much what's coming and can adjust for it.

I think the assumption that more blockers = better blocking isn't necessarily correct though, and at least at the CFB level isn't really how everyone operates. If you're at significant risk of losing the gap that the TE is creating in the run game, why bother with it? Like the basic math of gaps created vs. the number of box defenders doesn't really change. You've got one more gap than defenders in the box(before a safety comes into the box, 2-gap, etc.) either way.

You cut down on the number of run concepts and pass protection schemes you can run, but you're also cutting down on what the defense can do against it.

Eifert Posting posted:

How many established quarterbacks have the line and the skill right now to make 4 reads?

Yeah but you've got five eligible receivers on the field no matter what your personnel package is, and six man protection schemes w/ a runningback are most commonly what teams are running in 2020 anyway.

Like the run and shoot was big long fad in the 90's with 4 WR + back as an every-down deal was completely viable.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Viable, but flawed, which is why the pure Run & Shoot with 4 WR and literally no tight ends on the roster faded away with only a handful of teams heavily using it (And their track records were... uninspiring). A ton of the concepts of it are still around, particularly a lot of what you see in spread concepts with option routes and whatnot. It works as a good package, just like jumbo/goal line and 2 TE and whatnot, and I'd agree teams should try going to 4 WR sets more often than they currently do (I think Atlanta did it a good bit during part of their Super Bowl run season), but I think most teams like the idea of their #1 TE being on the field more than their #4 WR.

Yeah I don't think it should be an entire offense, but there sure seems like there should be a lot more of it than there is in the NFL. The thing that supposedly killed the run and shoot was the advent of the zone blitz loving with predictable six man protection schemes, but that's like 100% got to be solved at this point given where college and the NFL are in terms of packages and the passing game, and where the zone blitz is.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Am I :tinfoil: for not believing this false positive spin coming from teams?

I guess the alternative you'd have to believe is that a bunch of teams in different metropolitan areas all had pretty significant outbreaks(greater than we've seen so far) at the same time, and it's an unrelated coincidence they were all went through the same testing center.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

To my knowledge PCR tests are very unlikely to throw false positives, but they do throw false negatives.

Not sure what test battery the NFL is using. We’ll find out if they were false positives in a week or two I guess.

I think the suggestion is that there was some sort of contamination at the testing center.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/RyanTalbotBills/status/1298705999528898561
I wonder if the NFLPA is going to end up regret pushing to cancel the preseason. I think it was probably the right thing to do at the time, but right now it seems like at very least *training camp* has been reasonably safe, and it looks like this is really going to gently caress with a lot of marginal players.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Are we sure that breaking unions is the way to counter cops? Unions are generally a good thing...

whatever will the labor movement do without the police union there to stand in solidarity with them beat the poo poo out of them.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

a neat cape posted:

It's a lot easier when teams are all together and there's no travel. The season will start fine, but there are gonna be major spikes around week 3

I dunno, it's not like teams are out there flying coach on a crowded regular flights and loving around through the airport concourses or anything like that. Not sure they're sharing hotel floors with regular guests either.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

Someone mentioned something many, many pages ago that stuck with me: Sure the first few weeks should be be ok, but what happens when your team is 1-5 and you're flying into NYC, LA or Vegas? Are you going to really care about quarantine when your team sucks and you have a chance to go out and party?

I'm sure there's going to be someone who fucks up out there, but there are also fines and suspensions attached to stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/PFF_NateJahnke/status/1300546319417835520

We'll see what happens when games start, but this seems like a pretty big argument on the players behalf in cutting down in pre-season stuff.