Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Earl Thomas, part of a beloved Super Bowl championship team and was arguably the best at his position a couple years ago, yet you wouldn't find many Seahawks fans willing to bring him back at the minimum. I guess now he gets to make his dream a reality, to ruin the Cowboy's locker room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah I think some of what's getting lost in all this is that he's still a great player. I definitely did not want him gone, and I wish this got resolved any other way. I have no ill will towards the dude except that he seems like a really weird and odd guy, but it's not like I can thumb my nose at him for that. The whole thing sucks.

He didn't have a great year and the year prior was drama, then part of season with great play, then drama. He is definitely capable, but I was thankful that the Seahawks did not give in to him and eventually let him walk. The fact that the Ravens want to wash their hands of him after one year is a huge red flag that either his play has dropped or he is even more of a drama bomb than has been public (which is a lot). I'll be curious to see what Dallas offers him, but I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to offer him more than a year with almost none guaranteed. This would like be a last chance too, so he better figure out some poo poo.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
No one would say Earl had a bad year, but it was below what he had delivered in his numerous years prior and below what you expect for the price. Not career ending, but if it looks like he will go down from there and is a lovely teammate, it's a good reason to break that contract.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Where "well run" and "incredibly lucky" intersect.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wasn't ET on a 3/$30m when he threw his fit about not renegotiating in Seattle? It's going to get interesting with teams (probably) not willing to commit long term and also likely giving small guarantee, high incentive contracts. I wonder if he will realize he hosed up bad and settle or stick to his guns and not play this season.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I can't read the name "Joe Judge" without thinking "My name is Judge!": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESRV6oqsBi8

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I sort of buy. There's enough money to magic up a 12 mil or more 1 year deal for Clowney. On the field it's a great fit. Calais Campbell, Brandon Williams, and Matt Judon are enough to ensure Clowney one on ones. Plus the offense might be up 2 scores often enough to allow Clowney to pin his ears back and get that quarterback. Get himself 12+ sacks then hit free agency in a non Covid environment.

I'm still not sure how Clowney got to this point when he could've/should've had himself a 20 a year contract 5 months ago.

There was no chance he was getting $20mil and he actually started by looking for $22-$23mil. Rumor is the Seahawks offered up to $17m at one point, though the only contract that leaked was $27m fully guaranteed for 2 years. He already turned down $18m from the Browns. Now that it is clear no one is going to offer more than $15m and most contenders (he claims he must play for a contender) only have the cap space to put in ~$12m max, it will be interesting to see this play out. Someone might get a good deal on a one year rental, but he will have to play his rear end off to not look foolish.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I love how confused the other players are, like the AI is taking bets on how long he will keep it up.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh nice. I'm on a football thread where really my only commentary can be as a Seahawks fan who reads some articles, but Madden conversation I can actually talk about! I don't work for EA, but I work in the industry and have partnered with folks on the Madden team a number of times. A game the scale as Madden games, standalone, would take a very large team at least 3+ years to create. Everyone is correct that the annual updates rarely have generational changes and that is absolutely by design because it is impossible. Instead it is small steps with an occasional leap with rules, art, and roster updates every year. They definitely aren't trying to screw people out of money, the team that makes the game are super passionate about making the most accurate and cutting edge game they can. There are a ton of people happy to pay $60/year for incremental updates, so they provide them with the target that each technical aspect of the game will get a big update once the work is done. I believe at some point it will turn to subscription model, but as of right now people seem to prefer the traditional annual release and it is very profitable in that form.

Ending gaming nerd talk and back to sports nerd talk... Seahawks Action Green is the best jersey in the NFL.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still siding with action green, but that Chargers powder blue is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

a neat cape posted:

why can't I have a nice thing

My father in law was a life long Chargers fan that gave up on the team when they left San Diego after many years of disappointment. I am a life long Sacramento Kings fan, so I hear your pain.