Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I imagine the whole "I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without serious pain" thing is pretty universal among active offensive linemen, and all but the stupidest guys know they're likely to die at 50 if they don't drop some weight, so I can see how it would be easier for them to get really motivated to do so once they retire. I suspect it's harder for more athletic players who go from feeling like some of the top athletes in the world to bored and very, very sore once they stop playing.

E: I guess I just restated the point of the article, but whatever. I've never paid attention to an OL after retirement before
Also, from reading a bit about their diet and fitness routines, I get the impression they have to really force themselves to eat enough calories. It sounded like a grind that never got easier, and a lot of guys seemed to hate it. I have to imagine many feel relieved to stop, and a fair bit of the necessary weight loss would happen pretty quickly once they just revert to eating at a comfortable level. That's not to disagree that any dramatic transformation takes a ton of motivation though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
Thanks! One thing I just noticed in all of the before / after photos is how old and weathered everyone's face looks in the after shots. It was jarring to see that first, then scroll down and see how ripped they've become, like their body is younger than their face. Even with all their stories it's hard to imagine how much of a strain that diet must really be.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Mays always struck me as a Zach Lowe type who knew a ton about football but could write about it in a way that made it very accessible (this piece, for example). Not saying he'll be the football Zach Lowe, but the Athletic will definitely give him a better outlet to showcase his talents.
Besides all this I loved his “sad about the Bears” energy and hope he can bring it to this new gig occasionally. It’s not for everyone but he’s great at putting that despair and pessimism into words.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
That's a surprisingly lucid analogy from a member of the billionaire class who's done that many drugs.