Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
whats the point of dogs in 2020 tbh

love to have a peeing pooping beast that supposedly protects the family but instead barks at mailmen, grandma, your new friend who comes over, lizards, gophers, birds. oh and then the thing dies at age 12

terrible page snipe, enjoy the only good dog in a dog show i saw once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bioP_2e_xls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hey, are you ok Buglord?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
not since the war :smith:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

buglord posted:

whats the point of dogs in 2020 tbh

love to have a peeing pooping beast that supposedly protects the family but instead barks at mailmen, grandma, your new friend who comes over, lizards, gophers, birds. oh and then the thing dies at age 12

terrible page snipe, enjoy the only good dog in a dog show i saw once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bioP_2e_xls

blocked

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

buglord posted:

not since the war :smith:

I'm sorry to hear that. I know you're scared of losing it but a dog could help you overcome some of that trauma. Sure it won't last forever but nothing does. The love and companionship you give and receive for however long it lasts is worth it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I think the only other animals we may have hosed around so much with very little regard for the actual offspring are pigeons and goldfish. People have basically bred them to have incredibly malformed skeletons.

Pugs are funny because they can't breathe. :downs:

ouf, well. There's definitely speculative fiction out there if you really have to scratch that itch. It's definitely a freaky thought experiment.

Erotic fiction is techncially speculative fiction I guess

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My pitbull is literally the sweetest most, most caring, most non-violent, most beautiful creature to ever live and I love my pitty they are great pets to have around kids. I even put my beautiful blue-nosed pit, "Alpha Terminator" into the bassinet with my infant who was born premature and slather bbq sauce all over her beautiful little head for him to lick it off and its the sweetest thing and if anyone says anything negative about pit bulls in this thread I will take screenshots and post it in my local pitty moms group and if we see you outside we will yell at you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cant do that with cats

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Xaintrailles posted:

Pugs are such horrific toxic mutants that the only fitting end to them is splattered across a windscreen à la Robocop.

What the gently caress?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like to pet dogs sometimes. And sometimes I dont

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

OMFG FURRY posted:

how would you describe a shiba inu because ive been thinking of getting one for awhile. i know they are high energy, but I like walking around my neighborhood a lot so i think that'll help.

This is Ringo, my boy. I have spent the last six years advising people to very seriously consider not getting a shiba inu, because there’s some negatives to owning one.

They shed constantly, and a couple of times a year blow their coats in a blizzard of fur. If you like your clothes or wear a lot of black, it’ll drive you nuts.

Mine isn’t noisy, and they generally aren’t, but if you get a screamer you’ll rue the day, the noise is outrageous.

They aren’t usually ‘friendly’ by default, if you want something affectionate get a golden retriever. They can be very stand-offish, and extremely picky about who and what they like. I’ve never met one that’s cuddly.

They’re considered a basal breed, genetically close to wild dogs and wolves, so they tend to try to solve their differences by fighting. Neutering generally doesn’t affect their personality.

In an effort to forestall the inevitable question ‘why get one then’, they’re loyal, independent and proud, incredibly beautiful to look at and hilariously funny. Mine is as fastidious in its grooming as any cat, and as needy, which is to say not at all.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

bred chainz

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
People saying “goes outside to poo poo” as a knock against dogs is insane, because that’s far preferable to making GBS threads in a sandbox inside your home like a cat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Or in the message field, like you

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Dogs are sweet and I love them, but they are entirely too high maintenance for me.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Brachycephalic breeds like pugs and shih tzus are revolting and should be allowed to go extinct. Dogs that can't breathe properly aren't cute.

:agreed: I always feel bad when I see dogs like this, because I can't imagine the pain & discomfort they're in all the time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

anything shorter than my calf when fully grown can go straight to hell.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm picturing user Fluffy Bunnies getting angry and condemning a bunch of fluffy bunnies to hell for being small.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Get a load of this guy who’s never had to lift a german shepherd with variable levels of continence and mild hip dysplasia into and out of a bath.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Torquemada posted:

Get a load of this guy who’s never had to lift a german shepherd with variable levels of continence and mild hip dysplasia into and out of a bath.

Listen buddy we didn't come here to feel sad FUCKO

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow rude, we all get old bruh, nothing wrong with a helping hand for our four legged friends!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm picturing user Fluffy Bunnies getting angry and condemning a bunch of fluffy bunnies to hell for being small.

I used to raise rabbits for meat so this isn't too far from the truth.

Torquemada posted:

Get a load of this chick who’s never had to lift a german shepherd with variable levels of continence and mild hip dysplasia into and out of a bath.

My great dane had DM and was falling apart before he died at just short of his 12th birthday. He'd sit and poo poo himself on bad days. I carried him by myself multiple times. My old lady is starting down that track, too, also a dane. And the newfoundland? He doesn't like the car and you have to pitch his big, hairy rear end into it manually, but he only weighs 127 pounds. So I guess that's just nowhere near as much as lifting a whole rear end german shepherd. I mean, my word. I don't know what I'd do if I had to do that.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think there's a perception that small dogs are assholes because the people who buy small dogs typically do so because it's "easier" than a big dog. And if "easy" is your main qualifier in choosing a pet, chances are you're not going to take care of it properly let alone train it. If you're not a dumbshit you can easily keep a nice friendly chihuahua that doesn't bark and doesn't piss and poo poo everywhere, but unfortunately a huge percentage of chihuahua owners are dumbshits.

For example my in laws had a terrier that was barely house trained and got violent over food. After a month of house sitting for them while they were overseas they were amazed when they got back to find that their dog didn't suck anymore, because I didn't just let it do whatever it wanted.

They didn't keep up any of the training though so the dog very quickly reverted to being a little poo poo lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Okay okay

I feel like this is a better, happier representation of the thread. And the aforementioned 12.5 year old lady dane up above. Who was overjoyed to have a caterpillar as big as she is (it's bigger, don't tell her that)

No one can be dogist against her because look at the pure joy on her face, yall.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My family brought an evil little pomeranian ankle biter with them the last time they visited and it wouldn't stop trying to eat my dog until we put him in doggy jail

my dog got extremely clingy afterwards, I think he's still worried that he's getting replaced

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Okay okay

I feel like this is a better, happier representation of the thread. And the aforementioned 12.5 year old lady dane up above. Who was overjoyed to have a caterpillar as big as she is (it's bigger, don't tell her that)

No one can be dogist against her because look at the pure joy on her face, yall.
medium-small dogs: perfect size for living indoors with humans. small enough to run around, big enough to easily make all furniture nap-accessible

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

hmm, difficult to train, hair everywhere, but ultimately rewarding as long as you aren't looking for a lap dog.

thats pretty much what i expected, so ill make sure i have enough time to train one if/when i get one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
speaking of places to nap

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sheen Sheen posted:

People saying “goes outside to poo poo” as a knock against dogs is insane, because that’s far preferable to making GBS threads in a sandbox inside your home like a cat

It's always important to remember how lazy and fearful goons and generally nerds on the internet are of the outside

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gary oldmans diary posted:

speaking of places to nap

I build my dogs a pillow fort with a blanket roof when they nap on the couch

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

r u ready to WALK posted:

My family brought an evil little pomeranian ankle biter with them the last time they visited and it wouldn't stop trying to eat my dog until we put him in doggy jail

my dog got extremely clingy afterwards, I think he's still worried that he's getting replaced

lol.

I like pomeranians a lot. They see themselves as so extreme.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
it only took 3 pages for this thread turned into post ur dog.

They all suck and are ugly.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

zooted heh posted:

They all suck and are ugly.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

cats suck too

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

name a good animal then

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Crab

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'd post my sick rear end dogs but you ain't worth it and also I'm not really good with that sort of thing.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

name a good animal then

:shrug:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Plant MONSTER. posted:

name a good animal then

rhino cockroach

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Something I never really understood is when it comes to breed personalities and behaviors people are very willing to talk about how x/y breeds are smart or get bored easily or do well in apartments vs don’t do well in apartments, couch potatoes, high energy, nervous, calm, pretty much any vector of physical or mental behavior you can name but when you suggest some breeds are more prone to aggression or bred specifically to hurt things more when they randomly attack a toddler they think you’re dog racist or something and suddenly it’s 100% nurture and 0% nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm not dogist based on size or color but I do think any dog that has that scraggly or curly fur is a horrible little piece of poo poo.

That I love and want to pet and be best friends with, but I'll never understand why their owner chose them over like any other type of dog.

The bichon frise is a garbage dog, that if met in the wild I would probably instantly love more than most humans, but a garbage dog all the same.