Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i will die for dog. except the wild dogs my neighbours let poo poo all over our lawn. im pretty sure they stole my slipper too. all attempts at negotiating with the wild dogs has been futile. to combat the wild dog menace i adopted a great dane whos mountains of poo poo are enough to scare anyone away. it has worked so far im guessing because i have not lost anymore slippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
OP how do you feel about Welsh Springer Spaniels?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Mooey Cow posted:

OP how do you feel about Welsh Springer Spaniels?

They look pretty nice and look like they'd love to run with you in an open field with lots of dandelions. Is there a version of this dog that looks similar but scaled up considerably? A family friend had one like that and he was very gentle and nice to me as a bab.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have a little white dog that we rescued from a pound after she was picked up wandering around the projects. She’s old as hell, half blind, missing teeth but is the sweetest, most well behaved dog I’ve ever had. The only time she barks is when my other two big dogs are barking; she never instigates. Her tail is always wagging, she is always happy. No matter how bad of a day I’m having it’s impossible to look at this face and not smile.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ArbitraryC posted:

Something I never really understood is when it comes to breed personalities and behaviors people are very willing to talk about how x/y breeds are smart or get bored easily or do well in apartments vs don’t do well in apartments, couch potatoes, high energy, nervous, calm, pretty much any vector of physical or mental behavior you can name but when you suggest some breeds are more prone to aggression or bred specifically to hurt things more when they randomly attack a toddler they think you’re dog racist or something and suddenly it’s 100% nurture and 0% nature.

Because peolple love their fighting murder dogs

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I have a little white dog that we rescued from a pound after she was picked up wandering around the projects. She’s old as hell, half blind, missing teeth but is the sweetest, most well behaved dog I’ve ever had. The only time she barks is when my other two big dogs are barking; she never instigates. Her tail is always wagging, she is always happy. No matter how bad of a day I’m having it’s impossible to look at this face and not smile.

She's cute and I like that story a lot.

e- shes got a little like dot of something on her chin though, that's not befitting a ladye of her age

edit edit: makes you wonder how they got on the streets to begin with. We adopted a cat someone found in their shed and he was so great. Pathetic but so great.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 3, 2020

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Plant MONSTER. posted:

e- shes got a little like dot of something on her chin though, that's not befitting a ladye of her age

You try eating beef pâté with a beard :colbert:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

You try eating beef pâté with a beard :colbert:

Surely she can be taught to use a napkin! What if you were to dine in royal company, hm?

Mia Antifa
Sep 12, 2011

nazi punks fuck off
all dogs are good dogs and disliking dogs is a pretty strong indicator that you suck. here’s a good dog.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The_Continental posted:

Because peolple love their fighting murder dogs

Fighting murder dogs are the best (or at least miniature versions of them)

I won't deny that they have the highest potential for murder but it doesn't seem to take much to raise them to be lovers. With the over breeding of pitbulls most of my friends who rescue end up with pits. I'd say I've had 95% positive experiences with killer breeds. Like I can't remember the last time I met even a strange bully that wasn't full of love. I meet more owners claiming that their dog is a trained murderer badass but I know the truth, they just want some pets.

madamimadam posted:

all dogs are good dogs and disliking dogs is a pretty strong indicator that you suck. here’s a good dog.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is an excellent dog.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like to walk up to random dogs that I don't know and say bad dog to their faces.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I am a dog.

I look like a human. I can type words on a keyboard like right now.

But, because I am a dog, I cannot speak. If you try to talk to me in real life, I will only be able to communicate in dog sniffs.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I watched one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqGRxV2ClLw

Then a bunch more of them showed up in recommended.

Now I can't stop watching them.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I like when I show up at a friend or clients house and their dog jumps on me and they just shake their head and sheepsihly and say something like "hope you like dogs"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Something I never really understood is when it comes to breed personalities and behaviors people are very willing to talk about how x/y breeds are smart or get bored easily or do well in apartments vs don’t do well in apartments, couch potatoes, high energy, nervous, calm, pretty much any vector of physical or mental behavior you can name but when you suggest some breeds are more prone to aggression or bred specifically to hurt things more when they randomly attack a toddler they think you’re dog racist or something and suddenly it’s 100% nurture and 0% nature.
the siberian fox breeding experiment had uncontestable success in separately breeding both more tame and more vicious foxes entirely separate from behavioral conditioning by its 8th generation over half a century ago so look up a nice clown college for them to enroll in

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Telebite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqGRxV2ClLw

Then a bunch more of them showed up in recommended.

Now I can't stop watching them.
if i was in the room when they were using scissors around my dogs eyes i would tell them i dont care if they have literally done it a million times slow down and be super careful :ohdear:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Fighting murder dogs are the best (or at least miniature versions of them)

I won't deny that they have the highest potential for murder but it doesn't seem to take much to raise them to be lovers. With the over breeding of pitbulls most of my friends who rescue end up with pits. I'd say I've had 95% positive experiences with killer breeds.

Lot of attacks in the UK are on kids left with dogs that aren’t part of their usual household, which seems a recipe for disaster to me, a not complete idiot.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
With dogs being basically a renewable resource and perpetually in surplus, why would you get one that sees toddlers as prey*? It's not like you're saving a doggy life; the one you didn't adopt gets put down instead.

*Unless you actually are hunting toddlers, in which case right tool for the job fair play.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Uh I'm sorry but have you even read GBS dog threads. That's NOT a dog. Small "dogs" are even lower than cats to these dog elitists

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

My aunt/cousin had a Pomeranian who went wild over me when I came over to visit because after they got a Chihuahua puppy, nobody paid attention to her anymore. I showered her in attention and pets when I showed up. It was clear nobody made any attempt to train her out of her "bark at everyone" habit except me and this cool rear end lady cloud dog loved me for it. I don't own a dog because I don't have the space in a basement apartment with an all-brick back-yard but I would if I could. Dogs, when you can train them properly and have the space for them, totally rule and this is from a dedicated cat person.

If I had the space, I would have a puppy and a kitty and the kitty would think it was a puppy and the puppy would think it was a kitty and they would have the best lives ever. But I don't so I have a low-maintenance cat that's afraid of "outside". Get a dog that you have the space for; some dogs are good apartment dogs, some are not. If you have the space to roam, get whatever dog you want and enjoy ur cool dog life. If not don't make one suffer in limited space and just get a cat or a hamster or something.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Poms are far and away the best small dog imo, if you train them good. They're brave, funny, good natured, smart, ridiculously fluffy and think they're about four times the size they are. Also watching a well groomed pom run at any speed is one of the most delightful experiences a human being can have.

tapapapapapap

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
u wot m8

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Well you know what they say: It's a doggie-dog world.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yo I'm with you OP I get grossed out when I see wall eyed hosed up pugs, purebreeding is such poo poo and needs to be stopped.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm seeing a lot of words on this page attempting to hand wave away the fact that small white dogs are terrible things that should be put into the trashbin of history like apartheid and MC Hammer pants.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

purebreeding is mostly fine, there are lots of really great breeds out there worth protecting and not everything needs to be a pitbull mix

just try to have some ethical standards and mix in some outside blood from a similar breed from time to time so you don't end up with the british royal family

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like to walk up to random dogs that I don't know and say bad dog to their faces.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

r u ready to WALK posted:

purebreeding is mostly fine, there are lots of really great breeds out there worth protecting and not everything needs to be a pitbull mix

just try to have some ethical standards and mix in some outside blood from a similar breed from time to time so you don't end up with the british royal family

"Why would I save a dog from being euthanized when I could give hundreds if not thousands of dollars to a crazy person whose life revolves around making dogs gently caress?"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You mostly don’t have to make them, dogs like loving.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Who are all the hosed up people that insist on mixing pitbulls with everything? Those people are way more hosed than pure-breeders, who are at least supposed to breed out genetic deficiencies these days.

But most hosed up of all are the people who cut off they dog's own tail. You know how dogs are supposed to have a long waggly thing that knocks over everything? Well apparently Americans just cut it off. I was watching some "happy dog videos" and like surely half of them just had a hosed up stump where a glorious tail should have been. WTF man! Dogs need their tails to do dog stuff with.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mooey Cow posted:

Who are all the hosed up people that insist on mixing pitbulls with everything? Those people are way more hosed than pure-breeders, who are at least supposed to breed out genetic deficiencies these days.

But most hosed up of all are the people who cut off they dog's own tail. You know how dogs are supposed to have a long waggly thing that knocks over everything? Well apparently Americans just cut it off. I was watching some "happy dog videos" and like surely half of them just had a hosed up stump where a glorious tail should have been. WTF man! Dogs need their tails to do dog stuff with.

Purebreeders do it without anesthesia too, because in order to see a living thing as a high value commodity you have to already be a piece of poo poo.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

imagine someone just severing the lower part of your spine like holy poo poo.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

small time purebreeders is the best possible source of dogs actually, especially the ones that post every single thing they do on facebook and put a ton of energy into socializing each puppy and make potential buyers go through a lengthy and brutal interrogation before they decide if you are even worthy of owning a dog

unfortunately all the unworthy idiots have tons of alternative sources like puppy mills, pet stores, craigslist or just stealing them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you cut off a dog’s tail without a good reason other than for medical you should have your tongue cut out so you also can no longer communicate properly.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my country completely banned ear cropping and tail docking long ago
dobermen look so much nicer when you don't gently caress them up

it's a giant dachs! :3:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
god made dogs then said "lol what the gently caress i can do way better than that" and made cats so imo dogs should just be expected to be goofy as hell

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

god made dogs then said "lol what the gently caress i can do way better than that" and made cats so imo dogs should just be expected to be goofy as hell

Dogs being goofy goobers is much of their appeal

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

dobermans are supposed to have tails? gently caress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I knew doberman's were cropped but I didn't know it was to that extent. Like, those ears are mad floppy. Now I'm just sad.

small time purebreeders is the best possible source of dogs actually, especially the ones that post every single thing they do on facebook and put a ton of energy into socializing each puppy and make potential buyers go through a lengthy and brutal interrogation before they decide if you are even worthy of owning a dog

unfortunately all the unworthy idiots have tons of alternative sources like puppy mills, pet stores, craigslist or just stealing them

I'm pretty sure a few people I know have gotten their animals from puppy mills. Pugs of dubious quality and the like. I like that dog, though. She wasn't yappy, liked to chill out when I walked her and she'd mostly just spawn out of nowhere to stare at you.