Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lesson 1: count how many spark plug wires you see that don't end in nothing.

I didn't realize these ever got a V6 though, I thought that ended in the 90s. There's nothing wrong with a 4.3 in the right vehicle, but holy poo poo is it gonna be gutless these days compared to, uh, even a U-Haul truck. unless you luck out like I did a decade ago and wind up with a mid 80s Toyota cutaway with the 3.0 with an odometer that stopped a bit past 300k (it smoked like a train with a blown turbo, except blue/white smoke).

e: this is not "the right vehicle" for a 4.3, I don't think even a USPS LLV would be the right vehicle for a 4.3 these days (going by today's standards and what they're speccing for the next generation of postal vehicles). Can't kill a 4.3 easily though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

He's referring to the 1960s straight 6 292, which isn't related to the Atlas. I don't think GM had a straight 6 from about the late 80s until the Atlas came out (~2002?). The Atlas is uncommon enough already that most people don't know it was a family of inline 4/5/6 engines.

And yeah, the Express could be had with the ol' 4.3 V6 until the end of the 2001 model year. Not sure why he mentioned the 292 though, that hasn't been used in the Chevy vans since the... late 80s I think? And by then I think the 4.3 was more common by then. In the US anyway... if wikipedia is to be believed, you could still get the 292 in Brazil until the early 00s.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 26, 2020