Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hey check out this petrified log.

80+ cm tall and probably about 1000 lbs. It hasn't budged from this spot in the 5 or so years I've known about it and I don't imagine it'll be moving any time soon. It's deep down a rough, limited access road & halfway down the side of a particularly steep hill on extremely loose, sandy soil. I'd love to know what species of extinct tree this used to be.

I spend a lot of time working in the area surrounding two relatively popular rockhounding sites and have been picking up neat looking stones for years. I recently met someone who's an avid rockhounder who has taught me that I have agate, jasper and opal coming out my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Also a biologist by trade, and I watch this clip at least 3 times every time I visit this thread and it doesn't get old or less relatable. I've had avid rockhounds on my crew that I inevitably embarrass myself in front of. I have no idea if this is jasper but yes I did collect 3 buckets full. I thought this was agate? What do you mean calcite? I filled my whole truck bed with it!

Now that all the rockhounders have left for greener pastures grad school months ago I am still regularly finding rocks in every vehicle/around the lab/in every equipment storage area/in my loving apartment somehow. It's like a disease.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Wanna see the saddest thing you've ever witnessed in your life?

I hauled this massive stone 1.5km and about 300m up a mountain, it weighs about 25lbs and is 24cm in length. Home free, about 2 meters from the UTV, I had to cross a pasture fence and wanted use of my hands to not nick my new pants so I dropped the rock on the other side of the fence without thinking, and now I have three rocks where once I only had one.

Prepare to cry, i sure did

Anyone have a clue what this might be?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh boy, it ain't boring.

All photos of the break surface are oriented with the fossil imprint facing upward.

I cleaned it up a bit and got some better photos, here's an album: https://imgur.com/a/zfm84mz

I'm pretty curious what those black dendritic markings are. I borrowed a book on fossils from the library and I've been seeing a lot of similar markings on photos of ammonite fossils but I'm still leaning toward the larger fossil being something in the plant kingdom, though I could also see it being crustaceans or a trilobite of some sort.

For more context, I found it in the Bilk Creek Mountains in NW Nevada at about 6000' elevation. The rock is somewhat brittle with fragments chipping away if I don't handle it gingerly enough. Here's a pretty unhelpful video from the approx. location it was found
https://i.imgur.com/oqh3sca.mp4

treat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 18, 2022