Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thus far, successfully identified as “rock” or “probably rock-adjacent.” Could be from just about anywhere. Most likely Earth.

Any idea? Those little wormy bits with the internal lattice are ~2mm across. The main body of the rock has some glittery bits .5mm across or less. Feels vaguely limestoney. Forgot to taste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Goodpancakes posted:

It's a fossilized coral

Rock on, friend

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can someone help me and my daughter identify this? She spotted it on a hike today and wanted to know, best I can come up with is biotite maybe?

Very small, thin flakes. Black, with pretty flecks of color.

Shiny, almost glass-like. Flakes apart very readily, is pretty pliable.

All the clumps we found were embedded in quartzy stuff.

Found on the shore of this man-made lake at about 8000’ in the Rockies, west of Denver.

I’m sure it’s wholly unexciting but it was new to us and had interesting properties, so I’d like to be able to tell her for sure what it is. :)