Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Bryce Canyon is the more interesting geology spot than Zion, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I throw a lot of it in the yard. I used to have a big fuckoff "box of rocks" that I've been just peppering about the garden. I find it more fun to "re-find" them while weeding or fixing a sprinkler than buried in the garage. I have a few quality pieces on a shelf collecting so much dust. A giant piece of petrified wood that I've been carting around since undergrad is my doorstop to the garage.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

Don't forget glen canyon, capitol reef, and the badlands around hanksville!

Or fantasy canyon which has the best cross bedding panel I've come across. Looks like a diagram on a chalkboard.

On crossbedding: this was a work photo I took many years ago. From a simple parking lot at Zion. It is still my go-to example of crossbedding.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

withak posted:

How thick was the pavement.

I think that was the whole point. Places it was <5 inches, others it was >2ft.

I always thought pavement radar was boring as hell, but will admit I had a good run for a while. Got paid to go work in Zion, Glacier, Yosemite, Denali, Volcanos and Haleakala. Often "backstage" which was fun. But that work dried up years ago.