Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Have you gone fossil hunting there? That would be step one!

Try asking local geology-adjacent organizations. I’m thinking if you have a nearby college or community college. Maybe your county has a natural resources department, or there is a nature center in the area. Is the fishing hole on park/public land? They would be another resource. Ideally you’ll find someone with local knowledge. Otherwise you might have to find some sort of USGS map or a geology book about your state.

I don’t remember the age, but a lot of the fossils in the Shenandoah valley are marine fossils like trilobites and brachiopodes. There’s an excellent book called “Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States” if you live in the WV, VA, PA region of the Appalachians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
That was an excellent video. Also I’ve been pronouncing gneiss wrong for a long time.

Here are some rocks I recently found from the beaches around Mystic CT. Lots of quartz and feldspar in all their granite like configurations:

The weirdest one may be the far left in the second picture. CT is covered in glacial till, but somehow that rock got to the beach without being crushed smooth by the glacier.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Last weekend I went fossil hunting out in West Virginia following an old book, Jasper Burns’ “Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States.” I started at a roadcut near Wardensville (site 17) that I remember going to as a kid. It has definitely been 20 years, but I found some fossils I was happy with.

Trilobites:

Nautiloid and Brachiopod:

Then I went to site 28 near Gainesboro VA. This was on a busy highway but I managed to find more Brachiopods and quartz crystals:

Finally I stopped near Leesburg VA following the “Rockhounding Virginia” book (mediocre book) to collect samples of Potomac Marble - a weirdo marble used in the interior of the US Capitol:

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I’ve got some family that are taking a trip out west. From Las Vegas they’re making a loop north through Utah and Arizona - seeing Zion, Escalante, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, the whole deal. Anyone have recommendations for additional rock related sites or stores? They are well behaved and know better than to take material from National Parks, etc.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Did they already go?

They did go, and based on the pictures it looked like the coolest trip ever. The Grand Canyon was almost underwhelming because they saw a dozen other treasures in Utah before then? When I see them at thanksgiving I’ll have to ask what souvenirs they picked up.