Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey! What a cool thread. I have done pretty remedial rock hounding. Out on the original Pony Express trail in the west desert of Utah there is the Dugway Geode beds. I have been twice, and was there just last month! I have a couple of really nice looking ones I have not opened because I want to cut them open properly and not just break open with a hammer.

I have posted about it some in my off roading thread I have in AI.

My smallest climbing around the pit.

Here is an IMGUR linked video showing the desert and pit. It was hot as balls.

Hey there Dugway buddy! That pony express trail is certainly memorable, I think it lossened a couple of my fillings.

Took a drive out there a few weeks ago, and really had trouble finding much of worth that was not already busted open, either by the folks not patient enough to have them sawn or the heavy machine they use to churn up the beds every so often.

I live in the Uintas area, and there are tons of areas with neat rocks. I need to source somewhere that can cut large (like small loaf of bread size) specimens.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Missed the spring window to head to dugway for geodes, and now it is triple digits out there.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Made it back out to dugway this fall. Antelope, wild horses, and some decent sized geodes. I need to get a decent rock saw, as I don't want to simply pound them open.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Lacrosse posted:

Check to see if there's a rock and gem club nearby, they usually have a rock shop you can borrow. Or if you join the club members may invite you over to use their equipment. Definitely don't hit geodes or thundereggs with a hammer, they look better cut open.

Oh absolutely, it infuriates me to see folks at the pits finding them, and them smashing them with hammers to open.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Aero737 posted:

Here's something for both the biologists and rockhounds. Porcupine Mountains in Upper Peninsula Michigan. The boulder is copper harbor conglomerate which is approximately 1 billion years old.

Isn't all matter pretty old?