Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I watched this earlier and thought it might be good for the thread. There's a lot of information in here that applies to more than just hunting lake rocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_t4LC13utM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Probably quartz, might be calcite; calcite is softer than quartz so see if it scratches easily.

Also likely some kind of druzy calcite or quartz. I have a whole bunch of similar pieces with druzy calcite on them from rock hunting trips. As Dr. Frasier mentioned above it could also be gibbsite or any number of other things but I'm thinking calcite based off what looks like a small cluster of crystals hanging out around the edge of the crack? Hard to tell from a distance.

A note on calcite: It will react poorly/etch when exposed to acids so be careful when washing, as many liquid detergents contain citric acids.

Would put money on this being iron-bearing quartz. They look exactly like the quartz crystals found in geodes in central Kentucky.

These almost look more like glass?? Not to say quartz can't break that way, but the cleaves on the rocks (particularly in the second picture) almost look more like how a chunk of glass or obsidian fractures and 'flakes' off.

Looks like maybe some quartz mixed with flourite; the pieces with the more matte exterior have that sort of waxy/'soft' look that flourite can get.

Looks like flourite with mica - I've found tons of opaque white flourite before, occasionally with little bits of purple in it like that.

Seconding that this is flourite, like, 100%. Would probably be a really pretty display piece if cleaned up a bit!

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 12, 2023