Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What does the break surface look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

It's a fossilized coral

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I'd stick to the marble deposits, or any other deposits of limestone/salt/gypsum/ ECT. I don't really see any typical formation of solution caves in igneous or metamorphic terrains.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

The tumbled rock is probably a granitoid

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

It's been a couple of chaotic days but here comes an image dump of some of the unidentified shopping network rocks. I'm starting with the ones that have been bugging me the most for decades at this point.

First a confirmation, is this just some sort of milky or cloud quartz cluster? is it anything more special than just quartz? It's also been hilariously misidentified for years as illinois flourite by kid me.

This looks like a quartz cluster.

Turbinosamente posted:

This one has been pissing me off for years because it has always looked fake to me: as in the green crystal bubbles always looked like an induced chemical reaction instead of something naturally occurring. if it is natural I assume the bubbles are the reason this rock would have been advertised for sale on cable television.

In a way you are right about this one, in what that is, is a secondary reaction to the original rock which is that dark possibly basalt stone. There is a clear crack in the rock where this secondary mineral has deposited. It is natural, probably a hydrothermal inclusion, of what would be called a botroyidal mineral, possibly gibbsite? Really hard to tell from the photo for me but maybe you'll get a few more shots at ID on that one. It's a cool rock.

Turbinosamente posted:

and the last for this round of ID request is this that I don't remember having at all, but is neat.

I think this is Fluorite

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

You got it. It's probably Biotite