Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I can't believe I am just now finding out about this thread, I need to leave my bookmarks more often. I'm not sure where to begin except for accusations of tumbler witchcraft (and I might hit you up for advice once I find out which moving box mine is in.)

Most of my best rocks are also still in boxes but here are extremely quick and lovely phone pics of ones I have out:

Clockwise from left: Purple thing with grape-flavored Fluorite flavor crystals (Bell Hill Mine, UT) Leaverites I have out (location unknown,) Azurite (Jacob City, UT) chunk of Galena, Pyrite, Quartz crystals, and maybe even a little native copper (I ~THINK~ I found this at Gold Hill* on the UT/NV state line,) Cinnabar w/ green poo poo (Idaho or Montana, forget which,) weird Quartz crystal-crust pastry (Virginia City, NV,) botroyoidal Calcite (?) thing (SW Idaho)

I tried taking a better pic of the shiny metal crystal chunk. It looks better in person, I promise. I'd blame the phone but I have never not once ever taken a good picture of a rock.

*Gold Hill is amazing by the way, a hollowed-out mountain covered/filled with all kinds of pretty rocks. Definitely check it out if, for some insane reason, you are in the area but for the love of god bring spare water and maybe even two spare tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

rockhounding ... florida

A hell I've known all too well until this year.

Condolences, brother.

I can tell you that you can find nice looking Agateized coral/fossils among the crushed up rocks used in the the Atlantic Beach post office parking lot.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I found a chunk of petrified onion* over the weekend (Santa Cruz mtns, CA)

* I know that's not really what it is

That Old Ganon posted:

I want to find some on my own

What works pretty well for me is searching a given region on mindat.org, look for pictures of pretty rocks other people have posted and then go to/near those places.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

XeeD posted:

I went picking for cool looking rocks along the train tracks the other day and found a neat one.
https://imgur.com/a/7oWfYrz

I have no idea what it is, but the test piece I broke off is tumbling up real nice.
https://imgur.com/a/mB2lYH7

That looks really cool, if you don't mind me asking what region/area did you find it in?

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Busters posted:

I don't have the skill to go out myself, but I like going to rock shows. Picked up some Kyanite infused with ruby and Yooperlite. They look sick under black lights

:justpost:

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Busters posted:

When I was at the show, the only sizeable bit of Yooperlite was in the shape of a dragon's head. It feels stupid to try to make a perfectly interesting rock into some hot topic KICKIN RAD dragon, but eh.

Spoilers because of big picture size

Normal Yooperlite :

Under UV Light

Normal Kyanite

Under UV Light

I got a few more fluorescent bits in my collection

Wow, those look amazing. Is there some trick to getting good UV pictures like that?

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

:justpost:

Seriously identifying pretty rocks is like the only thing I'm good at. Please give me a chance to use this otherwise useless "talent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

I’ve got some family that are taking a trip out west. From Las Vegas they’re making a loop north through Utah and Arizona - seeing Zion, Escalante, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, the whole deal. Anyone have recommendations for additional rock related sites or stores? They are well behaved and know better than to take material from National Parks, etc.

I have found many nice chunks of Azurite and Malachite at some of the many small abandoned copper mines in the St. George/Cedar City area if they go through there.

I can be more specific than that the next time I'm not phoneposting, if you like.