Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They put two million fake leaves on the tree above Bag End. It took 5 people a whole week to do it. The scale of what they did to make these movies blows my tiny mind. I wonder if there will ever be another movie at the same level of grandeur made with the same amount of love that these ones were.
They might not be my favorite movies ever made but I think they might objectively be the best movies ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZobbJ-HH59c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
At about an hour into the third video for the first movie.

E: That was a mistake I meant the 4th video.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The_Continental posted:

Oh good more lotr

If something is worth watching it's worth watching for 12 hours at a time again and again and again.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ratjaculation posted:

I rewatched the extended ones a few weeks ago, and they've held on so well. The music, the scenery, the acting. Everything is great.

I was going to follow it up with the Hobbit, but remembered the barrel scene and haven't been bothered yet.

No you shouldn't watch the Hobbit movies they're awful. Hold up I think I have a 6 hour video series explaining why handy.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Didn't they fuckin preplant all the gardens and stuff in Hobbiton a year early, just so they'd look like more genuine

Yeah it's insane what they did to make the movies.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Icochet posted:

All Sauron's henchpersons suck poo poo. Even the balrogs

Alright listen here. 1: Hench people and lastly the Balrogs were NOT Sauron's minions.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zzulu posted:

These kind of things are ONLY noticed by grognards who scrutinize every frame of the movie and are living breathing stinking encyclopedias of the movies

Thank you! What's a grognards?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ratjaculation posted:

i'm not optimistic about the amazon show

Have they set down what it's going to be about yet?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ratjaculation posted:

Young Aragon is all they've revealed which sounds like an absolute stinker, maybe could be good if done right, but I imagine it'll be another GoT clone.

Also despite being filmed in NZ it seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the film, the production teams nor studios lol

That sounds like the least interesting thing they could have picked. I guess it's safe.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why did they shoot it in 3D? I can think of one type of movie that would be better if its in 3d and that's a movie about people with big boobs riding on a rollercoaster.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mozi posted:

3d movies are the future of cinema. don't you know avatar made a billion dollars?

Has anyone ever met someone that was really into Avatar?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's much better value for money. You get twice as much movie and an entire extra dimension for the same low price.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mooey Cow posted:

Hopefully this time we will learn how come elves gently caress at all times, but only have one or two kids despite living forever.

I suspect the answer is butt sex, but it would be nice to rule out some other possibilities, like the fish fertilization theory.

I don't think that you should be thinking about how elves have sex or even if they have sex at all. It makes me worry for you. I worry that you're becoming increasingly detached from the idea of having a beautiful and loving sexual encounter with another human. Elves don't exist but a person that loves you, that appreciates you and your body, does.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How awesome would LOTR be but transplanted into gritty 1970's NYC?

Hey I'm walkin' to Mordor here

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Gollum looking at his reflection in the Dead Marshes: You talkin' to me?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Lotr has some of the best bad guy lines.

The way Wormtongue delivers "Get out of my way" and Denethor does "Flee! Flee for your lives" are amazing and one day I hope to be in a nightclub fire one day so I have an excuse to say those things with the same level of drama.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How do you visually differentiate between the dwarves without making some poo poo up?

Except for Bombur. That fat sack of crap. The book is really hard on Bombur.

Thorin is the "Meet the parents" one.

Kili is the Baby Face.

Fili is the suave one.

Balin is the "older brother".

Dwalin is the bad boy.

Nori is the heartthrob.

Ori is the shy one.

Gloin is the brooding one.

Bofur is the quirky one.

Bifur is the "crazy" one.

Oin is the mysterious one.

And Bombur is the fat one.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hello Sailor posted:

Disney's dwarves were so much easier to keep straight

Behind the scenes scuttlebutt says otherwise.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't want to make a new thread every time I watch something I liked but the Shining sequel Doctor Sleep is not bad. It's not anywhere near the Kubrick one but well worth your two hours I think.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Coming up on 10 days since the thread was posted I'm near finished watching the LOTR extras.

The way they treat the little people on and off set is straight out of golden era Hollywood. It really is amazing to watch.

Guys, I think LOTR is cancelled alongside all cast and crew.

Yeah I felt weird about this too. Like I can't point to any mistreatment but they just didn't seem to treat them like adult peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Where did Thrain II hide a key and a map while he was imprisoned in Dol Guldur?